PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl

Laddy
01-20-2015, 04:58 AM
GUYS MY TWO PREFERRED TEAMS ARE GOING HEAD-TO-HEAD THIS IS EXCITING.

My prediction: New England 31 - Seattle 27.

What's your prediction?

Pheesh
01-20-2015, 06:05 AM
Lets goooo PATS!!! I don't particularly hate the Seahawks or anything, but I support the Patriots cause they're a Boston team, and the Seahawks are a division rival to the other team I support, so in this instance I say "fucking fuck those guys."

I hope the Patriots absolutely annihilate them.

Agent Proto
01-20-2015, 06:08 AM
I want Seattle to win their second consecutive Super Bowl and become the next football dynasty.

Ayen
01-20-2015, 06:11 AM
Advertising.

I don't know enough about either team to make any real prediction.

Sephex
01-20-2015, 06:20 AM
I don't actually care, but I would prefer if Seattle won. Yeah, their bandwagon fans are annoying, but that sort of thing happens when any sport wins any championship.

The media and the majority of Patriot fans were ready to throw Brady, Coach Grouchy Hoodie, and the rest of the organization under the bus because they had one terrible game early in the regular season, so they don't deserve to win another title. Again, yes, there is a lot of BS going on with the Seahawks, but Pats fans bug me far more.

Shiny
01-20-2015, 06:27 AM
I don't care who wins, but I do know my friend is going to be a Pepsi Superbowl commercial directed by the guy who directed Gravity. So that's going to be pretty awesome.

Pike
01-20-2015, 10:19 AM
I don't care about bandwagon fans. Being a real fan isn't about when you get on the ride, it's about when you get off. (that's what she said)

Obviously I'm rooting for the Hawks because they're my team. Nothing against the Pats though.

Madame Adequate
01-20-2015, 06:42 PM
I don't care who wins, but I do know my friend is going to be a Pepsi Superbowl commercial directed by the guy who directed Gravity. So that's going to be pretty awesome.

What if space was filled with pepsi instead of being a vacuum?

Colonel Angus
01-20-2015, 06:54 PM
Belichick is back to his cheating ways & the Seahawks nearly let the last one get away from them, so I think the Patriots'll win, even though I dunnae like 'em.

Del Murder
01-20-2015, 07:23 PM
The Patriots handled Indianapolis like nothing but I can't bet against Seattle after that comeback. Should be a good game with evenly matched teams.

Tavrobel
01-20-2015, 07:41 PM
I wouldn't just put that on Seattle playing well. The Packers dropped the ball by not going for it on 4th and 1 at the goal line twice. You can't ever take the foot off of the gas pedal, you have to establish your dominance. Prevent defenses suck and running out the clock is for people who hate winning.

I don't like the Patriots, and the Seahawks effectively ended the Eagles season. I want them both to lose.

metagloria
01-20-2015, 07:46 PM
Brady gets #4. Patriots win 34-27, but the game isn't that close because Seattle gets a garbage time TD.

Crop
01-20-2015, 10:33 PM
I adopted the Pats when I was in the states since friends I made supported them, so I guess I'll go for them. If it wasn't on at such an inconvenient time for me (11:30pm start Sunday evening!) then I'd probably tune in.

Guess I'll just wait for the inevitable EoFF Super Bowl Commercial thread to catch the best bits anyway.

escobert
01-20-2015, 11:20 PM
I hope isis bombs it. I hate both teams.

edit: wtf my phone capitalized isis

Jinx
01-20-2015, 11:29 PM
Seriously, smurf the Patriots.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
01-21-2015, 02:36 AM
Go Hawks!

Looking forward to a better game than last years.
I definitely don't think that Seahawks are going to play as shitty as they did for most of the NFC Championship game.

The Pats haven't done spectacularly well against the top passing defenses in the league, so I think that will be an advantage for the Hawks. And while the Seahawks are way behind in the stats for passing offense, the are way ahead in rushing offense and are even ahead in total offense.

But then again. It is mother fucking Tom Brady.
This is going to be a fantastic game.

Denmark
01-21-2015, 03:36 AM
i'm picking the defending champs over the lol-we-lost-twice-to-the-giants-and-couldn't-win-a-championship-in-the-last-decade-even-in-that-year-we-went-16-0

escobert
01-21-2015, 03:48 AM
I do love me some Beast mode. I just hate that damn Sherman. And then Baldwin had to go have a rant too. smh. And Pete Carrol is just creepy.

Shiny
01-21-2015, 06:08 PM
Seattle is a good team. Comeback kings indeed. Pats are a better team that have a consistent winning streak. I want both of them to lose. Unfortunately that can't be so, so I will stick with the who cares.

01-21-2015, 09:13 PM
Seattle actually has a better winning streak than the Patriots. The Pats lost their last game of the regular season to the Bills. And they lost to the Packers in week 13. The Seahawks haven't lost since week 11.

Sephex
01-22-2015, 04:11 AM
WITH THIS UNDER INFLATED BALL CONTROVERSY I HAVE NO IDEA WHO TO ROOT FOR THIS IS A TRAVESTY ESPN TOLD ME TO FREAK OUT SO I AM FREAKING OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pheesh
01-22-2015, 08:21 AM
INFLATE-GATE!!! CHEATING TOM AND BILL BELICHEAT HAVE GONE TOO FAR THIS TIME. HOW DO YOU EXPECT THE COLTS TO PROPERLY TACKLE LEGARRETTE BLOUNT IF HE'S USING AN UNDERINFLATED BALL!?!

Sephex
01-22-2015, 09:27 AM
MORE LIKE LASUCKY BLUNT LOL!!!

Jowy
01-22-2015, 09:32 AM
more like the patriots are gonna be eating dirty frozen skittles off the astroturf.

my city is the best in the country. nowhere else deserves to win.

Bubba
01-22-2015, 10:10 AM
Aww man, I love American Soccer! I will definitely be tuning in for this! I'm quite knowledgeable on the sport too for an Englishman :smug:

I think the Seagulls attack and defensive power will be too much for the Patron's attack and defensive power over the seven games. Russell Watson is an amazing centre midfielder and his ERA this season has been phenomenal. The Seagulls will seal victory on the court with a final score of 96-91 and bring the Stanley Cup back to Seattle!

Whoop whoop! Go Gulls!

Sephex
01-22-2015, 10:11 AM
Aww man, I love American Soccer! I will definitely be tuning in for this! I'm quite knowledgeable on the sport too for an Englishman :smug:

I think the Seagulls attack and defensive power will be too much for the Patron's attack and defensive power over the seven games. Russell Wilson is an amazing centre midfielder and his ERA this season has been phenomenal. The Seagulls will seal victory on the court with a final score of 96-91 and bring the Stanley Cup back to Seattle!

Whoop whoop! Go Gulls!

You idiot this is a curling thread.

Pheesh
01-22-2015, 10:47 AM
I thought this was for lawn bowls. Uncultured swine!

Shiny
01-23-2015, 02:16 AM
Seattle actually has a better winning streak than the Patriots. The Pats lost their last game of the regular season to the Bills. And they lost to the Packers in week 13. The Seahawks haven't lost since week 11.

I meant winning streak in terms of winning a Superbowl. I know Seahawks have won a couple of Superbowls, but I still think Patriots have a more consistent streak of winning the 'bowl. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Spuuky
01-23-2015, 02:39 AM
I meant winning streak in terms of winning a Superbowl. I know Seahawks have won a couple of Superbowls, but I still think Patriots have a more consistent streak of winning the 'bowl. Correct me if I'm wrong.The Seahawks are 1-1 in Super Bowls and won last year for the first time. The Patriots are 3-4 in Super Bowls and have lost the last two they were in. They last won in 2004.

01-23-2015, 03:28 AM
Oh I see what you mean.

Yeah, what Spuuky said.

Pheesh
01-23-2015, 04:53 AM
Belichick does have the most playoff wins of any NFL coach though, which kinda adds to what Shiny was saying.

Sephex
01-23-2015, 07:04 AM
This is a funny perspective on the whole deflating ball thing. Part of the reason why I find it ridiculous.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/01/21/the-nfl-s-perfect-little-scandal.html?via=desktop&source=facebook

Spuuky
01-23-2015, 07:15 AM
It is ridiculous; but here's why it's an actual problem:

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/?p=2932

Sephex
01-23-2015, 07:19 AM
It is ridiculous; but here's why it's an actual problem:

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/?p=2932

That's actually very interesting. Thanks for the article share. For the record, I do think this sort of thing should be explored, but I still say that the NFL has bigger fish to fry (as the article I posted pointed out). Still, that's something I haven't seen anyone post anywhere in all the sports sites I casually browse!

Spuuky
01-23-2015, 08:00 AM
Obviously, player health and domestic violence type stuff is a far higher priority. On the other hand, this stuff should much higher up the priority scale than things like players wearing the wrong color shoes or not speaking to the media, which the NFL seems to care about deeply.

Just remember, the NFL is actually awful:

Punch out your wife: 2 game suspension
Smoke pot: 16 game suspension
Use enough painkillers to knock out a horse: Nothing
Illegally attempt to behead another player: $20k fine
Touch your junk in celebration: $20k fine
Wear the wrong color shoes: Ejected
Don't talk to the media: $50k fine
Drive drunk: No punishment

chionos
01-23-2015, 08:51 AM
Obviously, player health and domestic violence type stuff is a far higher priority. On the other hand, this stuff should much higher up the priority scale than things like players wearing the wrong color shoes or not speaking to the media, which the NFL seems to care about deeply.

Just remember, the NFL is actually awful:

Punch out your wife: 2 game suspension
Smoke pot: 16 game suspension
Use enough painkillers to knock out a horse: Nothing
Illegally attempt to behead another player: $20k fine
Touch your junk in celebration: $20k fine
Wear the wrong color shoes: Ejected
Don't talk to the media: $50k fine
Drive drunk: No punishment

Not to be a smart-ass, but is there a legal way to attempt to behead someone?

Also, oh wow, that info, Spuuky. I was pretty comfortable accepting it as fact that the Patriots cheated (Brady is a TERRIBLE LIAR, wow. I'm not surprised about him lying, I'm surprised at how bad he is at it), but I didn't expect that. I'd love to see the stats on the fumbling rates of players who have spent time on other teams. They had Green-Ellis, and Brady's never been on another team...who would there be to analyze?

escobert
01-23-2015, 03:48 PM
I don't believe anyone has received a season suspension for a first time marijuana offence.

Tavrobel
01-23-2015, 05:11 PM
Obviously, player health and domestic violence type stuff is a far higher priority.

I like jokes.

I don't believe anyone has received a season suspension for a first time marijuana offence.

They can if they were improperly placed in an advanced stage of the NFL's "rehab" program. At that point, you could miss mandatory meetings to be penalized enough to get suspended.

But so far this has only happened once.

Coming off of the sideline to shake your teammate's hand after a touchdown? $20k fine

Not to be a smart-ass, but is there a legal way to attempt to behead someone?

State ordered execution in which guillotine is not considered cruel or unusual. Or any nation-state which does not hold to that statute. Normally we can skip the "attempted" part and skip straight to the "successful" part.

Spuuky
01-23-2015, 06:10 PM
Also, oh wow, that info, Spuuky. I was pretty comfortable accepting it as fact that the Patriots cheated (Brady is a TERRIBLE LIAR, wow. I'm not surprised about him lying, I'm surprised at how bad he is at it), but I didn't expect that. I'd love to see the stats on the fumbling rates of players who have spent time on other teams. They had Green-Ellis, and Brady's never been on another team...who would there be to analyze?Bearing in mind that the rule changed in 2006/2007 from league-managed balls to each team managing their own balls, start with this tweet and go backward in this guy's timeline:

https://twitter.com/zjwhitman/status/558534884545675264

I don't believe anyone has received a season suspension for a first time marijuana offence.Not for a first-time offense. That doesn't make it any less stupid. It shouldn't even be a crime; but if you accept that it is a crime, let the law handle that, and for god's sake don't levy a greater penalty than unnecessarily violence or domestic abuse, and the same penalty as performance enhancing drugs.

chionos
01-23-2015, 06:37 PM
Also, oh wow, that info, Spuuky. I was pretty comfortable accepting it as fact that the Patriots cheated (Brady is a TERRIBLE LIAR, wow. I'm not surprised about him lying, I'm surprised at how bad he is at it), but I didn't expect that. I'd love to see the stats on the fumbling rates of players who have spent time on other teams. They had Green-Ellis, and Brady's never been on another team...who would there be to analyze?Bearing in mind that the rule changed in 2006/2007 from league-managed balls to each team managing their own balls, start with this tweet and go backward in this guy's timeline:

Thanks. That's what I wanted to see, and that's pretty telling. Kind of a bigger deal than I thought. I don't know how something like this can't have huge repercussions, but I'm sure it won't. Slap on the wrist fine, and a couple draft picks lost, and that's all (if that). It's kind of disgusting.

escobert
01-23-2015, 09:17 PM

I don't believe anyone has received a season suspension for a first time marijuana offence.Not for a first-time offense. That doesn't make it any less stupid. It shouldn't even be a crime; but if you accept that it is a crime, let the law handle that, and for god's sake don't levy a greater penalty than unnecessarily violence or domestic abuse, and the same penalty as performance enhancing drugs.

I don't agree with it or the laws but, it's the rule of the league and when you're being paid millions of dollars for maybe 10 years, you can probably wait to smoke weed until after those 10 years (if you're lucky enough to play that long) are up.

Which is why I think Belichek needs to be banned from the league. this is the second time his team has been caught breaking the rules. they are supposed to be the best team this century yet they need to cheat. It's complete bullshit, he and Brady both blatantly lied to the nation yesterday and threw the equipment manager under the bus.

Spuuky
01-23-2015, 09:26 PM
Hey, I completely agree that smoking pot, knowing the rules are what they are, is an incredibly dumb thing to do.

escobert
01-26-2015, 02:27 AM
Well Gordon has now failed ANOTHER drug test and will have a full season suspension.

Spuuky
01-26-2015, 03:47 AM
A drug test for alcohol. The NFL is stupid. (and so is Josh Gordon)

escobert
01-26-2015, 04:34 AM
are you friggen serious!? he failed for alcohol!?

Bubba
01-26-2015, 11:42 AM
If my workplace tested us for alcohol abuse I would have been sacked years ago.

escobert
01-26-2015, 10:50 PM
the only reason I would see them testing him for alcohol is they have a blanket protocol for everyone in their substance abuse program and you can't use anything once you've been caught using one thing. I don't believe the NFL has rules against normal alcohol use.

Raistlin
01-27-2015, 01:36 AM
They don't. It's because Gordon had a DUI.

And there's not much enjoyment in this match up for me. The Pats are my least favorite team, but Seattle has made me like them less and less this year (despite rooting for them last year). The media fawning over Russell Wilson after the Packers gave away the AFC championship was annoying. Marshawn Lynch's justified disdain for the NFL media is really the only thing keeping me from hating this Super Bowl. Hopefully he reserves an extra big crotch-grab for the press conference.

jenovajunkie
01-27-2015, 06:03 AM
Well I just don't want Patriots to take this.

Spuuky
01-27-2015, 06:11 AM
Marshawn Lynch's justified disdain for the NFL media is really the only thing keeping me from hating this Super Bowl. Hopefully he reserves an extra big crotch-grab for the press conference.I hope he wins the MVP, grabs himself while accepting the trophy, and then wears the trophy around as a codpiece on a victory lap of the stadium.

Sephex
01-27-2015, 06:18 AM
Marshawn Lynch's justified disdain for the NFL media is really the only thing keeping me from hating this Super Bowl. Hopefully he reserves an extra big crotch-grab for the press conference.I hope he wins the MVP, grabs himself while accepting the trophy, and then wears the trophy around as a codpiece on a victory lap of the stadium.

"Marshawn, what was the motivation behind that action?"

"Yeah."

escobert
01-27-2015, 06:32 PM
"Thank you for asking"

chionos
01-27-2015, 09:51 PM
Refreshing honesty.

*See Raistlin's post*

Love the way he changes it up just a bit every time he says it.

I'm here so I won't get fined.
I'm here so I won't get fined.
Hey, I'm here so I won't get fined.
I'm just here so I won't get fined. *smile*

How does he do that and still seem pleasant?

Raistlin
01-27-2015, 11:52 PM
That video's broken for me, but there's another here (http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2015/01/marshawn-lynch-is-just-there-so-he-wont-get-fined.html).

hlpaduqvBgs

I love Lynch. He went from an already great player to one of my favorites this year.

And of course the only member of the media to have a sense of humor about it was former player Deion Sanders.

01-28-2015, 04:51 AM
Speaking of the Beastmode, he does give the best interviews.

u5PgOk1Hjcc

jenovajunkie
01-28-2015, 07:46 PM
"You don't feel in beast mode. It feels you." My man, that must have been in the bible.

escobert
01-28-2015, 10:08 PM
Speaking of the Beastmode, he does give the best interviews.

u5PgOk1Hjcc

"Awesomeer!"

Raistlin
01-28-2015, 10:48 PM
Marshawn Lynch: "You know why I'm here. (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000464631/article/marshawn-lynch-could-face-fine-for-beast-mode-hat?campaign=Facebook_atn_patra)"

Also there's some speculation that Lynch could be fined for his hat? I'm not sure why, except as a de facto fine for his attitude, as the hat is made by an official NFL merchandiser.

escobert
01-28-2015, 11:14 PM
It's not "NFL approved". luls.

Oh and this is an interesting read.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2015/01/stats_show_the_new_england_patriots_became_nearly_fumble_proof_after_a_2006.single.html

Goldenboko
01-29-2015, 12:32 AM
As resident Bostonian.

AH, Tom Brady will go wicked hahd this Satuhday.

escobert
01-29-2015, 01:39 AM
uh.. Sunday?

jenovajunkie
01-29-2015, 01:56 AM
As resident Bostonian.

Man, Bostonians start partying early!

Goldenboko
01-29-2015, 02:00 AM
As resident Bostonian.

Man, Bostonians start partying early!

We have to be reeeeeeeeally drunk during the game.

jenovajunkie
01-29-2015, 02:44 AM
Hahaha you missed it. The game is on Sunday!

Goldenboko
01-29-2015, 04:21 AM
there were no r's in sunday to make fun of :(

escobert
01-29-2015, 09:26 PM
Anyone read the letter from Josh Gordon?

https://medium.com/the-cauldron/an-open-letter-to-charles-barkley-co-cb5c4e64cf3

chionos
01-29-2015, 09:52 PM
Wow, that's pretty interesting. Kudos to him.

He speaks truth. The NFL is utterly hypocritical, and so is sports media. Some of the analysts he mentioned seem to be well-intentioned, but still, when they turn to gossip, they lose all credibility.

I'm glad Gordon did this. It might seem like he was making excuses (by mentioning his past) but I think he was just showing that he's come a long way and that he's going to focus on the positives in his life instead of the negatives. Which is a good message.

Sephex
01-30-2015, 03:19 AM
Another interesting tidbit. This is why Brent Grimes' wife thinks the NFL sucks. She's obviously is biased concerning the immediate situation that set her off, but in her ranting she made some great points, I think.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2015/01/26/wife-of-dolphins-brent-grimes-blasts-the-nfl-in-long-profane-twitter-rant/?tid=hybrid_control_strip_2

Goldenboko
01-30-2015, 05:58 AM
Sports media is bad as is, let alone the NFL, which has consistently failed to hold any party accountable for their jobs. The letter was certainly a classier middle finger to the sports media than Lynch's antics.

Spuuky
01-30-2015, 05:58 AM
Marshawn Lynch is still the best. His media session today was great, and he's better than Rob Gronkowski at Mortal Kombat:

http://teamcoco.com/video/clueless-gamer-big-game-showdown

jenovajunkie
01-30-2015, 08:41 AM
Marshawn Lynch is still the best. His media session today was great, and he's better than Rob Gronkowski at Mortal Kombat:

http://teamcoco.com/video/clueless-gamer-big-game-showdown

You now own me. Haha kidding, sort of.

Denmark
01-31-2015, 01:47 AM
http://i.imgur.com/QDnHl3n.jpg

not stolen from reddit definitely not

jenovajunkie
01-31-2015, 05:44 PM
You know that took me a while to get, hahaha. Probably because the cat image just ruined it.

escobert
02-01-2015, 02:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNpkSyryQz4&x-yt-ts=1422579428&feature=player_embedded&x-yt-cl=85114404

EDIT: Dammit Spuuky beat me.

Hannibal_Khan
02-01-2015, 03:35 PM
Well,.....Bill Beli-cheat strikes again....smh. I hope the Seahawks blow out the Pats like they did the Bronco's.

Pike
02-01-2015, 06:28 PM
I bought my Cadbury creme eggs for hand-egg http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/Pikestaff/smiley/hawksin.001_zpsxewx6oh4.gif

What will everyone else be eating?

Madame Adequate
02-01-2015, 07:06 PM
Cadbury Creme Eggs. Was going to grab a couple of Buds but then I saw the local store now sells Hobgoblin so uh, sorry Clapistan, but that's some damn fine beer. :shobon:

I wanted a troutload of peanuts as well but they had none :cry: So I got some crisps potato chips instead.

e; Realtalk now: the Pats are always a strong team but I mean, we've got the best defense the league has seen for decades (since what, '85 Bears?) along with Lynch to just wander around wherever he pleases because he's that good at running back. Still, we do have bad days and we may not be able to pull out a comeback like we did against the Packers, so we gotta be on point from the start. I like the Seahawks to win but I won't be surprised if it's a Pats game, and I will be surprised if we win by a big margin.

jenovajunkie
02-01-2015, 07:43 PM
ARE YOU READY? BEAST MODE

02-01-2015, 08:04 PM
I'm a huge Seahawks fan. But for really, the Patriots are the best team in football. Do I think we can beat them, absolutely. But they, regardless of this whole deflategate shit, are definitely the best in the league at responding and adapting to the other teams tactics are.
The second half of this game is going to be seriously awesome.

For eats, we already had buffalo bites. Lots of chips and dips. I think we have mozzarella sticks and jalepenos poppers for later too. And also lots of beer.

jenovajunkie
02-01-2015, 09:14 PM
Bites; Nachos, beer, Wings, beer, Chips, beer. I'm always excited for other people, this is my thing. Hosting SuperBowl parties (while I still can). Yet people are being stupid. Whatever SUPERBOWL

Pike
02-02-2015, 01:27 AM
Halftime show was the best thing I've seen in my life

Katy Perry's Giant Tiger Mecha
Super Mario Sunshine level
The More You Know

Agent Proto
02-02-2015, 01:31 AM
I skipped halftime. :(

Sephex
02-02-2015, 01:43 AM
GOD HAS COME TO REAP THE SINNERS

http://i.imgur.com/jfJIA74.jpg

Pike
02-02-2015, 01:49 AM

Ayen
02-02-2015, 01:57 AM
I'M A SHAAAAAAAAAARK!

escobert
02-02-2015, 03:14 AM
Why on earth would you thrown the ball with beastmode!? WTF.

Pheesh
02-02-2015, 03:18 AM
Whooooooooooooooooo!!!

Agent Proto
02-02-2015, 03:19 AM
That was one of the craziest endings to a Super Bowl ever. So close, yet no dice. Sorry Seahawks, that last minute pick sealed your fate. :(

also

Katy Perry's Giant Tiger Mecha

https://38.media.tumblr.com/b5d0f56af46fc09353d93dc427df5dfb/tumblr_nj40wiW0ws1ru72puo1_r1_500.gif

02-02-2015, 03:31 AM
Four yards left. Yes. Lets throw the fucking ball.

Fuck. Me.

metagloria
02-02-2015, 03:41 AM
That ending was utterly insane. The Kearse bobble-catch followed by that pick...wild.

Madame Adequate
02-02-2015, 03:48 AM
I've been trying to think of explaining just how monumentally ill-considered that final call was, but I can't. Even Operation Barbarossa and the Attack on Pearl Harbor don't compare because those were carried out by powers who honestly saw no other options. In the future someone's going to have a choice between mining highly desired, easily accessible raw materials in their own country, or simultaneously declaring war on NATO and CIS simultaneously, and they'll choose the latter. And we'll say "Damn that's as dumb a decision as when they decided to pass instead of let Lynch run it in at Superbowl XLIX!"

02-02-2015, 03:52 AM
fuck

Shoeberto
02-02-2015, 03:54 AM
I was sort of hoping Tom Brady would have gotten his smug fucking clock straight cleaned in that brawl at the end, just to numb the sting of that monumentally terrible call a little bit.

Agent Proto
02-02-2015, 04:45 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B8z-0-sCcAIYZyt.jpg

Sephex
02-02-2015, 06:05 AM
Horrible play call at the end. Otherwise good game. I was pulling for the Seahawks, but I'm glad Gronk gets a ring.

Scotty_ffgamer
02-02-2015, 06:09 AM
I didn't even know the Super Bowl was happening today until my parents mentioned having wings for the game in passing. I just spent it working on stuff while watching Parks and Recreation and taking breaks to play FFXII.

Those sharks look pretty cool though. I'd probably be more invested in this sport if there were more scared looking sharks. I could do without the smiling trees though.

Ayen
02-02-2015, 06:43 AM
Number 15 was auditioning for WWE, I see.

Sephex
02-02-2015, 07:44 AM
http://i.imgur.com/1a0lzxJ.png

Pike
02-02-2015, 10:47 AM
Really fun game to watch; the call at the end was horrible (as one person I know said, "Lynch was put on god's green earth specifically so he could get the ball there and you didn't give it to him") but otherwise it was a really fun matchup. Also, that catch that happened towards the end too http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/Pikestaff/smiley/emot-psyduck_zps6d3d0257.gif Should've won the game tbqh.

Plus: best halftime show I have ever seen.

Anyways I'm glad I stayed up past my bedtime to watch the whole thing despite a bad ending.

Madame Adequate
02-02-2015, 04:17 PM
Yeah it was an exceptional game between two amazing teams until that point, and I in no way fault or harbor resentment to the Pats or officials for this, there were no egregious calls in the game and the Pats played damn fine football. Either team, that last play notwithstanding, would have deserved the win. That's partly what makes it so galling though, we have nobody to blame but ourselves. The other part is that one of the Seahawks' greatest strengths is knowing when to take a crazy risk. I mean, one of the earlier TDs went to Chris Matthews for his first career catch, which must have felt great for him and was a ballsy move that paid off. There was also a fairly long pass to Lynch at one point and it also paid off despite receiving not being his wheelhouse, and we know what happened against Green Bay. But we were not in a position to need a crazy call! We were on the 1 yard line on second down and Marshawn Lynch was in the backfield. Give it to him twice and then, if the Pats have stopped us both times, we can give serious consideration to a less predictable call, but given that it's Lynch it flat-out doesn't matter that the Pats knew what we'd do, he can still power through for a couple of yards.

The call was so bad it made the news over here and is being reported as probably the worst call ever made in the entire history of pro handegg.

Del Murder
02-02-2015, 04:31 PM
Yeah I don't know why you don't just feed it to Lynch 3 times and then try to come up with something clever if you get all the way to 4th down, but everyone is wondering that today. Or, if you're going to pass it, at least do a fade to the corner and not something right over the middle in traffic. What a bizarre call, but kudos to Belichik for not calling time outs there and forcing Seattle to make the score, rather than assuming they will make it and conserving clock. I'm pretty sure that if the Pats called time out after that first run then Seattle would have gone with another running play.

Great finish to a game! That encroachment at the end made it anticlimactic because I really wanted to see if the Seahawks could force a safety or something. Getting out of your own endzone is not easy.

metagloria
02-02-2015, 05:03 PM
Great finish to a game! That encroachment at the end made it anticlimactic because I really wanted to see if the Seahawks could force a safety or something. Getting out of your own endzone is not easy.

YES. I was so mad about that. If the Seahawks hadn't jumped, I don't think Brady gets any forward push. However, the offense has all the benefit of timing there...the defense had to be ready to explode. Difficult play for both sides. I wish we'd gotten to see it though.

metagloria
02-02-2015, 05:08 PM
Grantland's Bill Barnwell, my favorite football writer, made the best possible (albeit still ridiculous) case (http://grantland.com/the-triangle/super-bowl-new-england-patriots-seattle-seahawks/) for Seattle's pass at the end. Lockette was actually totally in position to make the catch, but Butler - a rookie, third-string cornerback - somehow was able to jump the route super quickly.

jenovajunkie
02-02-2015, 06:21 PM
NOOO. Well good game, I didn't like the end though.

Pike
02-02-2015, 06:39 PM

escobert
02-02-2015, 09:23 PM
Grantland's Bill Barnwell, my favorite football writer, made the best possible (albeit still ridiculous) case (http://grantland.com/the-triangle/super-bowl-new-england-patriots-seattle-seahawks/) for Seattle's pass at the end. Lockette was actually totally in position to make the catch, but Butler - a rookie, third-string cornerback - somehow was able to jump the route super quickly.

Doesn't matter. You have lynch and a good line on the 1with 20 seconds left and down by 4. You run the friggen ball. Also they said they wanted to "use every second" THEN WHY DID YOU THROW THE BALL!? if it was incomplete it would have cost a down and killed the clock. That was some Marc Trestman play calling right there.

As someone who played both offense and defense in football for over half of their life, this call just completely boggles my mind.

Goldenboko
02-02-2015, 10:44 PM
My god Sherman's face.
http://i.imgur.com/MNKOY1M.gif

Great game to watch, I was convinced we had lost after that crazy bobble catch, I was cursing that it was the helmet catch all over again. Look forward to standing in the freezing cold and seeing duck boats :spin:

Tavrobel
02-05-2015, 11:02 PM
I like how people who criticized the call probably aren't in a position to criticize the call at all. People are missing that while the Patriots were able to make a substitution, the Seahawks were not. In effect, the Seahawks were still in their unit that's primarily responsible for marching down the field. That means more WRs and less TEs. You don't match up an open field composition against a defense that can stuff the box.

In addition, Marshawn Lynch is atrocious at goal line situations. His numbers this year for First and Goals are less than stellar. Why would you give the ball to someone who has shown so far this whole season that he's not the one you want to give the ball to that close to the goal line?

The play the Seahawks called at the goal line worked this entire season (across all teams) except for one instance, and that was in the Super Bowl. No one talks about Butler's preparation on this exact play, nor does anyone call the pick up on the corner that kept the Seattle WRs from being in the right position in the first place. Butler jumped the route because the Patriots defense prepared exactly for this situation. You don't make a play like that without practice.

Bill Belichik could have easily called a timeout (or many timeouts) and didn't. By not calling a timeout, he limits the offense's play selection. Less time to choose a play, no time for substitutions. Remember what I said about being prepared for this play? He could have called a timeout, gave them the go-ahead touchdown, and relied on Brady to march out on the field and win anyway. Turns out, Brady has a history of clutchness, outdone only by the one-and-only Eli Manning; Belichik gambled and won.

Half of the reason why anyone is talking about this isn't because the play call was bad, it's because Cris Collinsworth wouldn't shut up about it until Bennett jumped the snap and gave the Patriots room to kneel without giving up a Safety, leading to a fight and the first ever super Bowl ejection.

Nah that play call was still pretty bad though. I didn't want either team to win, but hearing people bitch about this situation has given me more amusement than could be imagined.

escobert
02-05-2015, 11:18 PM
they pretty much only ran that play out of that formation, it was a terrible and obvious play call.
John Clayton:
"By jumping the route, Butler had a clear path to the ball, just like Lockette. From the way he was coming in on the ball, Butler had the best chance of catching it. I don't see that as being interference. Here are a couple of things about the play. Jermaine Kearse is supposed to get in the way of the cornerback essentially impeding Butler's ability to jump the route. But Kearse shouldn't be at fault for anything. He's blocking Brandon Browner, perhaps the most physical corner at the line of scrimmage. Lockette could have run the route stronger but you're not talking about the most seasoned wide receiver. That's asking a lot of him. I also don't fault Wilson. It would have been a hard play to audible out of under the circumstances because there was no way he knew Butler would jump the route. The problem was the play call itself. The Seahawks have run that play enough in the past that Butler, an undrafted rookie, knew the formation dictated the play, allowing him to make the pick. It was a bad play call."

Also the Patriots were worst in the league at stuffing the run and Seattle was actually one of the best at converting short yardage runs.