PDA

View Full Version : Counting sheep

MissH
01-20-2015, 04:04 PM
I've always been a terrible sleeper. Mum said when I was a baby, I was just a nightmare- I never slept. Mum would have to walk me anti-clockwise around our dining room table to try and help me drift off, if she went clockwise I would start crying (make of that what you will).

As I got older, Mum would lie on a bed on the flopr next to me until I drifted off, but as soon as she moved to get up I would wake up again!

In the last year or so my sleeping has got slightly better thanks to medication and the kids at school exhausting me, but I still have to follow my routine.

I usually turn the tv down low, put it on timer and flick through Twitter or Pinterest- I find it relaxing and usually I will get to a stage where I'm just ready to drift off.

Saying that, if Bubba gets up at all- I'm awake!

So what helps you sleep? Keep it clean ;-)

Pike
01-20-2015, 04:18 PM
Honestly the best method I've found for falling asleep is just to go to bed at the same time every night! I realize that this isn't possible for everyone but now I can fall asleep right on the dot almost every night because my body is used to it.

I am kind of a light sleeper though, so I wear earplugs as well.

escobert
01-20-2015, 04:31 PM
I go to bed around the same time every night and I sleep with a tv show going on my laptop.

Shorty
01-20-2015, 05:35 PM
Have to sleep with the tv on or a show going on my laptop. Music has the opposite effect and lets my mind wander too much. I am usually on my phone until I pass out.

But I still sleep terribly. This may have to do with the fact that I sleep with my dog and my cat in my bed and they are constantly keeping me awake.

Colonel Angus
01-20-2015, 05:47 PM
I'm usually beat by the time I go to bed. I tend to fall asleep while on my laptop while watching TV in the living room. Then by the time I put my things away & get to bed, I reawaken.

I just lay there w/ my eyes closed. Sometimes it takes moments to fall asleep, sometimes it takes some time.

I have problems when I wake up before it's time to get up. Then it's more troubling going back to sleep.

Ergroilnin
01-20-2015, 06:17 PM
Well as for me... I used to be night owl all night long. I loved staying up late and sleeping while the day was drifting away. As I got older, my sleeping got a bit more normal and I started going to bed normally and enjoying decent 6-7 hours of sleep. Last year I had some problem with sleeping and basically for two months straight I just couldn't sleep at night and had to sleep while the sun was till out.

That made me so exhausted and frustrated I overdosed on cofeine so much I ended up in hospital for two nights. When they let me go home, they gave me some strong sleeping drugs to help me overcome it. And thankfully, after two months I didn't need any drugs to fall asleep on the schedule anymore.

Nowadays I really can't stand going to bed later than midnight, usually sooner and I really love sleeping so goddamn much. Unless I have to wake up in the morning for school or work, nothing can make me get up before 9 am.

I am seriously hard sleeper now, month ago there was a power outage in our city and just about every (ours included) house alarm went off. I peacefully slept though it to see my parent's exhausted faces.

Whoops, I may've gone a bit OT, sorry :p

Laddy
01-20-2015, 06:40 PM
I state Survivor data by season. Who were all the contestants? Who had the most overall votes? Who won the immunity challenges?

I didn't say it worked​, mind you.

Ayen
01-21-2015, 12:40 AM
I don't usually need much help going to sleep, but having the fan in the background does relax me.

Spuuky
01-21-2015, 12:51 AM
http://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/whiteNoiseGenerator.php

Sephex
01-21-2015, 01:07 AM
I always have trouble sleeping. Not so much falling asleep, but staying asleep.

As much as I may seem to joke about "The Dragon King" ambien really helps me sleep. However, I don't want to rely on that because if you take too much of it is loses it's effect and just makes you feel weird AND then you can't sleep.

Another option I go with is to take a cup and a half of the liquid version of Nyquill or the Vicks/Nyquill "Zquill" stuff. This works alright, but I have to be damn sure that I am okay with sleeping 8 hours.

Booze helps too, but I obviously don't like to go down that route for many obvious reasons.

Lately I've been having the opposite problem where I sleep too much. So I feel all groggy anyway and then I have no time to myself before working. This week so far I've been doing a good job of sleeping at just the right amount without using any aids as a crutch.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
01-21-2015, 01:59 AM
I always have a hard time going to sleep. Unless I'm drunk.

I typically am awake on weekdays until midnight or 1 AM to get up 5:45. But on the weekends once I finally fall asleep I sleep until forever.

Quindiana Jones
01-21-2015, 02:28 AM
Sleep Cycle app on Android. It tracks my sleep and lets me know how different things - eating late, meditating, watching TV, etc. - affect my sleep. I did a brief study and cut out the things that gave a negative impact, increased the stuff that gave a positive impact, and started sleeping at regular hours.

It worked like a charm! :)

noxious.sunshine
01-21-2015, 02:31 PM
I love sleep so very much.

But I have a hard time going to bed early. A lot of it is due to my bf not getting home until between 11 & midnight depending on how he gets to school each day. And then I have to feed him.

Or if I have Penny in the bedroom, she flips out as soon as she hears him walk through the door, so I have to get up and let her out to go jump on him.

I've lately been taking 1/3 - 1/2 dosages of his ambien (that he no longer takes) to kick start my falling asleep. It's helped a bit, but I still don't knock out until 1, sometimes 2 a.m.

I'd love to be in bed and asleep by 11 though. :/

Oh, and everything has to be turned off and it has to be completely dark in the room or I won't sleep good at all.

Shiny
01-21-2015, 03:57 PM
ASMR videos and exercising throughout the day. I find though that it helps to not have your computer or television on at least an hour before you go to bed. The white light helps to keep you up. Sometimes wearing a face mask helps if it's super sunny out since I tend to sleep in till noon.

Pumpkin
01-21-2015, 05:00 PM
I've always had a hard time falling asleep. My mom even tells me it was the same when I was a baby. I'll let you know when I find a solution