PDA

View Full Version : No really, what did you like about FF III?

Pike
01-21-2015, 08:14 PM
This poor job-focused FF entry is always overshadowed by V. It didn't even get a single nomination for Dat Matt's EoFF Ranks FF event! :whimper:

Let's feel the love; what did you like about this game?

Galuf
01-21-2015, 08:40 PM
for the very little i played.

i liked this thing and like something i said somewhere else. i also hate it.

the focus on Grinding is very annoying but it is a good sense of training as it keeps you Focused and makes you not too hot headed thinking you can just storm anywhere with ease. the mindset has also been duped for me in FF V as when i play it i grind for alot to make sure i dont die ( though in that game it makes it very easy).

VeloZer0
01-21-2015, 09:38 PM
I liked to there was still some pretense of combat/field inter-relation with the dungeons you had to transform for. But yeah, all the good things about the job system were improved in FF5, and further improved in FFT. And having a second world to go to was also greatly exceeded in FF4,5 & 6.

Pumpkin
01-21-2015, 09:40 PM
job classes~

Electroshock Therapy
01-21-2015, 10:12 PM
It has:

charm
challenge
fun little characters
amazing music (Eurake is so short yet soooo good)
good dungeons
nice weapons
fun job classes
good side stories
Cid and his wife who puts up with none of his s***
beautiful DS graphics and art
exploration is fun when available
Desch
Moogles who love their pappy
fat Chocobo
sooo many ships it's like a fetish
the absolutely beautiful Eureka
Cloud of Darkness music still has hints of NES style music, which is a nice touch
Summons are now a thing
JUST MANY THINGS OMG DON'T EVEN KNOW SALIVATE!

... Ahem. It's alright, I guess. :roll2

Elpizo
01-21-2015, 10:21 PM
Everything. We just got it way too late. Had it been released back in the days it was new, nobody would dare question its revolutionary brilliance.

Colonel Angus
01-21-2015, 10:35 PM
I like the charcters in the remake. For being barebones, the story is still charming & has heart.

Also they can dual-wield, no matter which class.

Madame Adequate
01-22-2015, 04:47 AM
It's a respectable effort at the job system, and for a first stab at what would go on to be so important, it's hard to lay too many criticisms on it.

I don't dislike III, though I don't rate it as one of the best - however, I think the game was quite slow to get going and overall a bit odd in pacing. However towards the end game once you had a lot of options at your disposal, it got to be really good, I thought.

Polnareff
01-22-2015, 01:29 PM
I liked that it was really fun to break and there were a lot of crazy strategies. Dragoons with Blood Lances ruled for at least half of the game.

Depression Moon
01-22-2015, 02:00 PM
job classes~

Wolf Kanno
01-23-2015, 01:36 AM
I like the themes about Balance and appreciating mortality. I love the job class system and how the game incorporated it into the scenario with puzzles and bosses that could only be beaten with the right class. It introduced the Fat Chocobo, introduced iconic classes like Summoner, Bard, and Geomancer. Was the first game to introduce most of the skills associated with job classes like Jump. Had a killer soundtrack and was probably the last really open world style FF until VI World of Ruin and later the MMO entries. Yeah, I really do like FFIII.

Psychotic
01-23-2015, 09:49 AM
The job system was great and really well implemented. The graphical style (remake) was really charming too. There was a sense of variety to the world and dungeons too.

metagloria
01-24-2015, 04:03 AM
I just decided to fire this up (for the third time, but the first in probably eight years or so). Will report back with what I like about it.

What I like about it in the first 30 minutes:
–Free healing!
–Dual wielding!

What I don't like about it in the first 30 minutes:
–where are my dang job classes at I ain't trying to freelance all night

metagloria
01-25-2015, 08:45 PM
What I like about it: Eternal Wind!

What I don't like about it: holy crap did they botch the new mix of Eternal Wind.

Omni-Odin
01-28-2015, 07:27 PM
I do like some things about 3. The world was nice and the job system was probably a bit newer to that generation.

But I don't think you can use the "if it came here when Japan got it, we'd look at it differently". That comes off as snarky and ignorant. I played all these games at about the same time. I played IV last, knowing nothing about it and it became my favorite 2D entry. It was even good on the upgraded DS graphics. III didn't feel that way to me. I can still play I (not II) and V and VI, but III was just annoying and boring to me. It's to each his own on this game.

Motdrafin
02-18-2015, 02:22 PM
I am a really big fan of FFIII (especially the Famicom version), it's one of my favorites. I love the soundtrack, the charming sprites, the job system (regardless that it's less advanced than FFV), the difficulty, and traveling its world. FFIII is really good!

Electroshock Therapy
02-19-2015, 12:35 AM
I just started this again today. I cannot get over how much I love this game. It's just so joyful!
And it's easy to play if you want something that doesn't require too much effort figuring out mechanics.
Yep, Final Fantasy III is my relaxing FF title. :)

Colonel Angus
02-21-2015, 08:27 PM
Recently beat the DS version. It has, by far, the worst balancing of any FF game there is, maybe only rivaled by IV. Heavily armored characters (Knights, Dk. Knights) can get crushed in a matter of a few rounds.

That being said, still a very fun game to play. I really like the job selections in this, in particular the Scholar. I should've tried some other jobs like Viking & Sage, but other jobs seem more necessary. Unlike FFV, where you'll probably try to master (or nearly master) most of the jobs for most of the characters, in III that would not only be more of a chore, but unnecessary. The girl character (her name slips my mind, as I changed it) was only a White Mage & Devout for practically the whole game. In a sense, I kind of like that.

Snap Jumper
02-21-2015, 11:10 PM
I enjoyed the fact that many dungeons had a unique twist. Often, you couldn't just take your favorite job, give it the best equipment, grind a little, and blow through each dungeon. Some you had to traverse in Mini form, forcing you to run or use mages. Several dungeons had splitting enemies, so unless you could hit the enemy for over 1,600 HP, another one showed up. I liked the variety, and the challenge level was just right...until the Cave of Shadows. Super easy in the DS version; super hard and long in the Famicom version, and followed by the ridiculous endgame with only one place to save (the Slyx Tower entrance).

Dante WolfWood
03-11-2015, 10:08 PM
The music. Easily the best of the first 4 FFs.

Yes, including FFIV. It's that good.

Sephex
03-17-2015, 06:17 AM
Game has an overlooked soundtrack in my opinion. As far as the original incarnation of the game goes, Square pulled out all the stops making the NES soundboard sound much better than it actually is. Same thing with graphics on the NES version.