PDA

View Full Version : Baking bread

Nate
01-22-2015, 03:47 PM
So the wife got me a really nice set of proofing bowls, a gigantic plastic bucket for mixing, and a book on baking artisan bread by Ken Forkish. I made a few loaves, and I mis-timed the proofing because I got caught up at a car dealership getting some warranty work done.

So anyways, what I'm asking is have any of you done some serious baking? Recipes or techniques are appreciated. T

he book suggests using pre-ferments and eventually starter (levain). I'm just getting my technique down with the quicker easier yeast breads.

Chris
01-23-2015, 01:11 AM
Love to cook, hate baking. I find that it's almost always 50/50, when it comes to baking. Baking cake is nerve-wracking. It terrifies me.

Nate
01-23-2015, 04:51 PM
So the book I have has really decent instructions, and even some videos online so you can see how all the steps come together. The author works on a 1000g ingredient scale, and everything is very precise.

Even if you bread doesn't come out perfect, it is cheaper than buying it most of the time. If you take out the labor cost of putting it all together. And the taste is always much better.

Freya
01-26-2015, 10:13 PM
I'm going to try a simple recipe to bake some bread tonight. We'll see how it goes because i've never baked fresh bread.

noxious.sunshine
01-28-2015, 05:59 PM
I've done no-knead clover leaf yeast rolls like my mom used to do for holidays

And I've made pan de sal (it's p much the exact same dough recipe).

I've not tried baking bread otherwise since high school when my sister got a bread machine for Christmas.

It sounds like it'd be a fun hobby to get into, but we don't really eat bread in my house. And I'm not much of a baker unless it's casseroles and baked pasta dishes.

I can make a mean tres leches from scratch, but it's a lot of work.

Pumpkin
01-28-2015, 06:13 PM
My mother is amazing at baking bread. I'm not as good but I can still manage. I make good banana bread sometimes and my raising bread was very popular. Other than that my bread tastes fine but its nothing super special. And considering the work it takes its easier to just buy bakery bread

Ayen
01-29-2015, 10:20 AM
I don't bake, and unless toast, or grilled cheese sandwiches count I get the feeling I haven't had baked bread either.

Nate
02-03-2015, 06:09 PM
So success! Since the original post, I've made about eight loaves of bread. They high end, with a chewy crust and a soft interior. People would probably pay $5 for one at a Farmers' Market.

A couple of things up front, first, I only use 4 ingredients: flour, water, yeast, salt.

Second, technique is important. Some breads ask for kneads, and mine ask for folds, some both. On my first one, my technique was poor, and the bread was dense. It's all about developing those gluten strands and letting the yeast do its work.

I also messed up shaping the loaves on the first one. Now I can get that good skin, and the loaf comes out perfect.

If anyone wants pictures, I can post a few. But it's some of the best bread I've ever eaten.

Also, really dust those proofing bowls. If the dough sticks, you're screwed.

Pheesh
02-08-2015, 03:57 PM
I love the smell of fresh baked bread, it's absolutely amazing. However baking isn't a strong point for me and coupling that with the terrible oven we have means it probably wouldn't end well if I gave it a shot.

Jamie Oliver has some super easy, delicious looking bread recipes though, I'm sure that one day I'll give them a shot.

sharkythesharkdogg
02-09-2015, 08:22 PM
Pictures would be neat. I've never baked bread from scratch, but it sounds interesting.

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-16-2015, 04:29 PM
I haven't really made any proper breads, though I have worked with yeast before in both pizza dough and making doughnuts! I also have a good feel for dough since working with a bunch of different kinds. Hmmm...I want to make dough now...

My mom makes amazeballs homemade bread. BEST THING TOASTED EVER.

As for tips, always be careful of over working any dough you are working with (especially pasta doughs). You can always rest a dough.

Also, unless specifically told that it will, most doughs should not stick to your hands. It is a good indicator if you have enough flour since sometimes you need a bit more or less than the recipe calls for (even when using precise weights since all ingredients are different; like maybe your yeast is older and less "lively", etc...).