PDA

View Full Version : Airship may not be in the game :/

Tyson
01-23-2015, 06:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DevlZMC98bs

They talk about it at the 51:00 mark. Kinda disappointing if so, I understand it's a big technical hurdle but this is one thing they've been saying since day one.

Quindiana Jones
01-23-2015, 06:15 AM
Hark, the bell tolls for thee, FF! Lo, the end is nigh! The yeasayers said it could be done, but look how we bask in their arrogance!

Tyson
01-23-2015, 06:25 AM
haha not sure it's that crucial :P It definitely seems like they're getting to the point in development where they have to consider what is technically possible. I mean I'm sure it's possible (GTA V does it quite well) but it's really got to be something you build into the game from the beginning. Seems like they're only just now looking into it.

Necronopticous
01-23-2015, 08:58 AM
You don't need an airship to chill with your bros.

Egami
01-23-2015, 12:06 PM
I really wasn't expecting it to have one so no surprise there. Type-0 has an airship tho, so that will do for my FF with an airship fix.

Fox
01-23-2015, 01:29 PM
All I will say is: if they're still evaluating the technical possibilities of significant game mechanics - it's unlikely to be a 2015 release.

I mean, I know few of us were really genuinely probably expecting a 2015 release anyway, but there ya go.

Tyson
01-23-2015, 03:00 PM
All I will say is: if they're still evaluating the technical possibilities of significant game mechanics - it's unlikely to be a 2015 release.

I mean, I know few of us were really genuinely probably expecting a 2015 release anyway, but there ya go.

Agreed. I was kind of expecting it to release late 2015 considering they have the demo coming out early 2015. But first they were saying the magic system wasn't ready, now this with the airships. Makes it seem like we're still a way off.

Freya
01-23-2015, 03:25 PM
Nooooooo :(

I guess they just replaced airships with cars. laaame

Pumpkin
01-23-2015, 03:31 PM
Boobies

Egami
01-23-2015, 04:52 PM
Agreed. I was kind of expecting it to release late 2015 considering they have the demo coming out early 2015. But first they were saying the magic system wasn't ready, now this with the airships. Makes it seem like we're still a way off.

Very much, it is like every time Tabata says anything about the game there is a lot of uncertainty surrounding things. The magic system, the car, the length, the scale and now airships. If they are still grappling with such issues one wonders if the game is even on alpha stage at this point.

I'd give it December 2015 as the earliest release date but I think a more realistic scenario is first quarter 2016...a full year after the demo.

Randy
03-07-2015, 03:47 AM
10 years in development and not enough time to do an airship? Pfffft. Just give us a hot air balloon or something.

Kozmos
03-07-2015, 07:26 AM
Ever since he started talking about FFXV, Tabata has said that player controlled airships were just a "maybe". In one of the ATRs he went into more detail, but the problem really is it's a tremendous technical challenge. It wasn't something they were planning on doing since the switch to an open world game many years ago, but now all of the fan outcry has led to them exploring it again, so I'm hopeful!

DMKA
03-07-2015, 09:33 PM
I haven't been expecting one since it was revealed that there was such a heavy focus on the car. Between a car and fast travel points, an airship seems like overkill.

I assume this also means there won't be an "overworld map" per se, like in the classic FFs, but rather something more like FFXII.

Zerobot
03-11-2015, 08:20 AM
If the map is too large how can we travel from place to place?
No, I hope we have to drive all the way.

Fynn
03-11-2015, 10:30 AM
That is a valid point, Zerobot.

Psychotic
03-11-2015, 12:09 PM
We've not had a proper FF airship that we could actually fly about since what, FFIX? Other than that it's just been a fast travel hub.

DMKA
03-12-2015, 02:26 AM
We've not had a proper FF airship that we could actually fly about since what, FFIX? Other than that it's just been a fast travel hub.

Yeah, but that's mainly because IX was the last one with an overworld map for you to actually fly an airship around on.

An airship you could fly around like that in a setup like FFXII or FFXIII would just seem...strange.

Speaking of which, FFXII's story was just begging for them to bring back controllable airships, seeing as two of your characters were sky pirates and one was an aspiring sky pirate.

fat_moogle
03-12-2015, 10:58 AM
I haven't been expecting one since it was revealed that there was such a heavy focus on the car. Between a car and fast travel points, an airship seems like overkill.
Yeah, I see your point there. An airship would be nice but like you say if there are enough ways to travel already then is one really needed? It would still be nice if they surprised us and added one in, but if they don't I won't really be too fussed.

maybee
03-12-2015, 11:23 AM
http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/Like_b4b881_2064863.gif

Obama : Good morning America. I for one, is extremely disappointment in this world, this nation. We have gone through depressing times, but this is extremely depressing news. For Japan, for the world, for America.

/ walks away in shame.

McLovin'
03-14-2015, 08:08 AM
Technical issue my ass. They did it with FF9 beautifully. The overworld can be less graphically appealing and when we land we have to go through certain maps to get where we really want to go. Doens't seem that hard.

Euon
03-16-2015, 12:29 AM
I for one am not too bothered. I like the focus on using a car and Cidney is in it so eh, there's my travel related requirements sorted. So long as there is some kind of fast travel it's all good. However, I do wonder about traversing water. Car subs anyone?

Meltdown
03-18-2015, 01:47 AM
Technical issue my ass. They did it with FF9 beautifully. The overworld can be less graphically appealing and when we land we have to go through certain maps to get where we really want to go. Doens't seem that hard.

This! Personally I wouldn't mind a less graphically appealing overworld either, and even with next gen graphics I'm sure they would still find a way to make it look amazing... but in saying that I get the impression the world of XV will be much smaller than what we're used to, so maybe the need for an airship just isn't there (just taking into account the level of detail in the locations we've seen so far and how long it must take to create even a smallish sized world).