PDA

View Full Version : The Street

Night Fury
01-23-2015, 07:56 AM
I think my street is turning into an Australian Wisteria Lane. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisteria_Lane)

A few months back one of our neighbours was just screaming her head off at about 8:30pm at night - it was so bad all the other neighbours came out and the police were even called. She really sounded like she was getting murdered or something. Turns out she was having a fight with her boyfriend and well, nothing had happened. Idk. Was scary as shit though I didn't want Pheesh to go outside in case there was a maniac with a knife or something... That's literally what it sounded like.

Just yesterday a drunk/high lady pulled up on the street and started tearing her hair out and slamming her head on the car. She started yelling and frightened Pheesh's Nonna - I eventually send Pheesh over to see if she's okay cos I was too scared and Nonna told me not to go over there.

Yeah, sometimes weird things happen on this street but mostly it's quiet except for our other neighbour who is gardening constantly at stupid times.

What is your street like?

Shorty
01-23-2015, 08:08 AM
I live in a nice, modest but new-looking suburban cul de sac with maintained lawns and a large park down the street. Families house kids from 4ish to teenagedom. There are some grandparents. Many of the vehicles are trucks or SUVs, and the ones that are a little older probably belong to the teenagers, but there are no dingy or beat up cars anywhere on the street. There are sporty play vehicles like four-wheelers and boats and the like. Sometimes a horse trailer or a motor home. In good weather, parents bring their folding chairs by the dozen or so to set up camp at the park while their kids play.

Also the kids smurfing run back and forth across the goddamn street NOT LOOKING EITHER WAY BECAUSE THEIR PARENTS ARE APPARENTLY FAILURES so I have to inch along down my own street coming home from work at three miles an hour so I don't hit somebody's failure brood darting inbetween all of the trucks and SUVs parked on the side of the road which obstruct my view from the sidewalk.

People are nice and wave and say hi when Achilles and I pass them on walks. I do not know anyone's name or have conversations with them, other than to say hi.

Ayen
01-23-2015, 08:08 AM
Relatively quiet. Some times a person will be playing their music real loud at night, park in front of the mailbox, honk their horn because they're too lazy to get out and knock on the door, and we'll get some cop cars out here, but other than that it's not all bad. Though it seems most people don't know how to use a driveway and block part of the road coming out as a result.

Quindiana Jones
01-23-2015, 08:10 AM
Oh, man. :(

I live on floor 24 of a big block of flats. It is situated on the corner of a large crossroads. In a small city of around 20 million. It is always loud. There are no crazy people, however. :D

Psychotic
01-23-2015, 09:43 AM
Most of it hasn't been built yet! There's about 15 houses and at the end there's a giant gate to a very large construction yard where the rest of the street will be. It's an endless parade of construction vehicles and builders, though it has slowed slightly. I can't remember the last time That One Machine That Makes The House Shake When It Drives Past (or Brian as I like to call it) has driven past! It's just a supremely modern suburban street filled with middle class professionals and families.

Pike
01-23-2015, 11:08 AM
My current street is pretty boring. There's an apartment complex (on my end) on one side, and a little neighborhood filled with new houses on the other. This whole side of town is still being built up, so it's crossed by another street that has been partially closed for months and has basically nothing else of note even on it. I guess they're building a church down at the end of it? The rest is just fields. There's a park in those fields somewhere.

My old street, in front of my dad's house, is considerably more interesting. It's directly across from the high school, so you could hear the marching band or track and field announcers. You could hear the cheers at night during big football games. Trying to get anywhere at about 4pm was a nightmare, though, because the whole street would just be a stream of teenagers driving home.

Also, no one on that street can drive (presumably because they're all teenagers) and I guess a car almost smashed into the house once but was stopped by a bush. That bush still has a huge chunk taken out of it.

escobert
01-23-2015, 01:57 PM
My road is quiet. Up a hill with woods and fields around me. And I'm like 100 meters from the Joseph Smith birthplace.

my neighbor shoots his rifle every Sunday. Other than that and cows mooing its pretty quiet. My dad lives up the hill more from me. I'm like a 5 minute drive down to town which is nice.

Freya
01-23-2015, 02:43 PM
I live in a nice cul de sac at the very end where it curves. No one ever drives by because of that. All the houses are one-two car garaged and usually about 2-3 bedrooms and it's the nicer area in town. All my neighbors are old people but the one next to us. They have small kids. It's quiet. In fact, we're the "loud" neighbors because we have two large dogs. They are puppies, they play and bark when outside. Other than that it's relatively quiet.

We are near the hospital though so sometimes the life flight helicopter comes in above our house but our windows are great so we never notice it. You'll also occasionally hear the sirens for an ambulance. I just think there is some drama like in Grey's Anatomy going on.

noxious.sunshine
01-23-2015, 02:52 PM
Our little community is relatively quiet, actually.

Even on the other side of the train going to the corner store, I don't ever see crazy stuff happening really. There's broke bitches that hang around asking for change/money for their crack sometimes, but yeah.

There's a lot of construction going on though as they're still building up more duplexes/apartments/whatever.

And there are a lot of ambulances and cops that drive by, but they're almost always going to the other side in the ghetto

Tyson
01-23-2015, 03:48 PM
I grew up in a suburb called Manning here in Perth. Had alot of government housing in the area so we had alot of issues. There was small stuff like rodents and other dead animals being thrown over the fence. There was a time someone took off down the street with our caravan (Luckily there car was so slow we managed to follow them 2 streets over where they got out and ran into a house)

Biggest one was when we woke up to a couple drunk natives trying to smash our front door in screaming for us to give them the keys to our cars......needless to say we ended up selling the house and moving further out of the city haha. Just built my first place in a private estate and it's absolutely quiet here.

Pumpkin
01-23-2015, 03:54 PM
I live in the neighbourhood behind the main street, and it is surprisingly quiet despite that. I'm within walking distance to much stuff, including GameStop, much yay. It's very quiet and I don't often see my neighbours. The next door ones on the left have sharky paranoid that they left but I see them every few days. A few people wave when I go jogging or whatever

A lot of cats and dogs. Overall its a really nice neighbourhood and I like it a lot

Night Fury
01-23-2015, 03:58 PM
Omg!!! That is the kind of thing that would give me a heart attack and just kill me out of fear!!! :O I've been near Manning once it seemed quite nice! I got really lost and panicked walking around the Waterford Plaza looking for the right bus stop.

If anything like that ever happened to me, I'd be telling Pheesh he needs to get me a German Shepherd or I'm off back to the UK xD

Psychotic
01-23-2015, 04:01 PM
If anything like that ever happened to me, I'd be telling Pheesh he needs to get me a German Shepherd or I'm off back to the UK xDI'm about to have a vacancy for "nerdy former EoFF Editor who can cook" if you're interested. I mean, you're not ginger, but I'm sure I can look past it.

Night Fury
01-23-2015, 04:02 PM
Throw in a puppy and I'm sold.

Bubba
01-23-2015, 04:05 PM
There are no crazy people, however. :D

But... you live there :shrug:

Throw in a puppy and I'm sold.

You should never throw puppies.

Psychotic
01-23-2015, 04:06 PM
What if it's a Swiss Bouncing Terrier? :colbert:

Tyson
01-23-2015, 04:07 PM
haha yeah, it was a nice suburb when we first moved in when I was very young. Over the years more and more of it became government owned. Just went downhill from there.

Love where I live now in Canning Vale/Piara Waters, is abit of a drive to the city tho :P

noxious.sunshine
01-23-2015, 09:38 PM
Where we lived before, in Woodside, there were homicides fairly regularly. Yet I still walked around like no big deal.

I've lived in some seriously shady places though. All of the places I lived in Phoenix were some degree of ghetto. East & West Van Buren st was prostitutes & gang activity, Fashion, there was a shooting at the end of our street right after we moved there, a mere 400 feet or so from the house. Glendale, a girl got knifed up behind a dumpster across the street from us. Camelback Rd on the west side was just bad.

And then ofc, there were the serial shooters running around Chandler or Mesa or w.e and the Baseline Killer happening back to back while I was there. Heh.

Madame Adequate
01-23-2015, 10:16 PM
Standard English urban housing street. It's a long row of terraced houses along both sides. At the far end there's a primary school, so you get the kids going past every morning and afternoon, and they're all tiny and :3: We had a pretty bad family in one house for a few months but they moved on after awhile, and really the worst they did was make a lot of noise. Everyone else is pretty sound, keep to themselves but friendly when you encounter them if you're going out at the same time or whatever.

Agent Proto
01-23-2015, 11:05 PM
I live at the end of a court, a road that has a round end to turn back. It's a relatively quiet suburban neighborhood, but most of the neighbors that live near the house I reside pretty much know each other and converse daily. I don't interact with them much.

fire_of_avalon
01-24-2015, 04:25 AM
Here is a Google Maps rendering of where I live. (http://i.imgur.com/JUn1Wpt.png) My house is right there... with the little house icon xD

It's quiet, except when there are animals moving around.