PDA

View Full Version : Hajime Tabata Q&A with Siliconera

Wolf Kanno
01-24-2015, 04:33 AM
Checked to make sure it was a bit different from the AMA Thread.
Here's the Full article (http://www.siliconera.com/2015/01/22/defines-final-fantasy-type-series/)

Fun things to note:

Tabata discusses the difference between writing teenage main characters (Type-0) from more adult/mature main characters (FFXV). His main comment is about how the social dynamics are different and teenagers tend to grow more whereas adults tend to be set in their ways.
He comment that he does feel Type-0 is a coming of age story.
Apparently the Assist Characters are mostly modeled and named after the staff of SE including Yoichi Wada and the current President of Squenix Matsuda
There is a new costume added to the HD version, but what is remains a secret.
When asked what is required for a game to be an FF Tabata remarked "Chocobos"
Tabata discusses how Type-0 is being designed as an experimental FF franchise meant to create FF titles with the feel of FF but not necessarily the design we've come to expect of an FF.
He goes on to talk about targeting specific entries to certain age demographics and spoke briefly about the surprising age demographic of Type-0 in Japan.
He was apparently chosen by Kitase and Nomura to helm a numbered FF because only people who understand the "DNA of FF" can do so. This whole thing gets a bit mystical and pretentious I'm afraid...
Tabata explains about fan expectations and how fans both want something new but also want to experience things similar to the older games that made them fans in the first place. He explains how FF should be a 50/50 split of those two mentalities in order to be successful.
He then goes on to explain that Type-0 is designed to be more evolution than nostalgia and so its split is closer to 70/30.

It's a good article, you should read it.

Del Murder
01-27-2015, 04:59 PM
I agree with the 50/50 split, as long as the new stuff is well thought out and added for a reason and not just to be different. I wonder what the split is in FFXV?

Egami
01-28-2015, 01:59 PM
I am liking what I am seeing of Type-0 and XV, really looking forward to getting and playing both games. I get the feeling that Tabata has the right mindset for the series, I am optimistic even if cautiously so.

Seeing some of the gameplay footage of Type-0, however, one thing worries me and it is the Call of Duty inspired chatter that goes on as you play the game. From a gameplay video I saw of IGN there is this moggle (who is rather ugly btw) that constantly pops up on the screen to speak and give directions in a very similar way to how Hope did in Lighting Returns. I really disliked that aspect of LR and found it exasperating. I've noticed something similar on some gameplay videos of XV. I just hope this is just something that happens in a specific moment of the game and not something you have to endure all the time as I feel it really ruins the experience.