PDA

View Full Version : What is your Favourite Version of FF IV

Galuf
01-26-2015, 03:39 PM
out of the 2 versions i played and completed ( FF "2" snes. and FF IV psp) i say the psp version is better. its harderin difficulty but it pulls its own tricks to make the game easier. like auto battle. and being able to swap characters in battle ( like if its rosa's turn but you want to use cecil first just press triangle). and the graphics are good. if you dont like the DS music then just change it back.

anyways like the title says. what is your favourite version of FF IV

VeloZer0
01-26-2015, 04:21 PM
I couldn't even bring myself to play the PSP version, I dislike that style of sprite so much. Of all the versions I have played (multiple different SNES, PS1, DS) I like the DS version by far the most. I happen to quite like that graphics style as well as I think they did an excellent job tweaking the game balance.

Electroshock Therapy
01-26-2015, 05:33 PM
The PSP definitely!
(I put "true" in quotes because I know it's subjective. This is just my idea of the "true" FF IV game)

SNES - The dumbed down version. Okay, maybe not too much, but still...
PS1 - The "most true" US release of this game. It's the original version including all original items and enemy difficulty. Unfortunately, the slow loading times are actually noticeable on this Playstation port. REALLY noticeable.
DS - Added content and the hardest version. I'm not that skilled yet at FF, so this one gives me a headache. And I'm not a fan of the altered looks of some of the locations. One of the Towers or one of the Babil dungeons looks completely different. It's all brown, typical, and looks a little boring to me.
PSP - It's basically the PS1 game without all the hassle. With a few minor changes in gameplay, it's the next best thing to experience the "true" original FF IV. I also really love how they remade the Tower and Babil dungeons. It looks so futuristic and pretty.

Yeah, the PSP version is the one for me! I love it!

Wolf Kanno
01-26-2015, 08:39 PM
Super Famicom! If not that, then the PS1 version since it is basically the original Japanese version. The DS version is cool too but it's a different experience of the game than the original with it's own unique pros and cons. Still, I actually really love the original 16-bit sprites and music and seeing them updated makes them lose a bit of their magic for me.

Pike
01-26-2015, 09:06 PM
So... am I the only one in this thread who played the GBA version?

Shauna
01-26-2015, 09:10 PM
I played a significant amount of the SNES version. And then a significant version of the DS version.

Maybe I should actually finish it one day.

Galuf
01-26-2015, 09:29 PM
I played a significant amount of the SNES version. And then a significant version of the DS version.

Maybe I should actually finish it one day.

aye you should because it is good and it has good music and stuffs and it is also the most challenging of the series ( imo out of the 9 games i played)

Wolf Kanno
01-27-2015, 01:20 AM

It's okay. I don't really care for the extra content added in and I still don't care for the end game balancing done to make that work but it's an okay version.

Ayen
01-27-2015, 01:24 AM
I only played the PSX version, which is basically the SNES version, so I guess... the SNES version?

Sephex
01-27-2015, 07:15 AM
I have played all versions, even unofficial ones (don't get nitpicky with me because there are 500 obscure fan translations).

I would say that there is a three way tie between the common fan translation and the PS1 version.

Some of the liberties they took with the fan translation bothered me. Most notably pop culture references (William Shatner should never be mentioned in a FF game).

The PS1 would win outright, but the load times were pretty terrible. Well, to be fair, it was mainly loading the game and saving to the memory card that was the biggest problems, otherwise the game ran fine.

The PSP and DS versions are very cool, but the feel more like remakes to me, especially the DS version. By my own definition, I can't really consider that the best in a weird way.

The US "FFII" version had plenty of translation issues, and it was dumbed down, but it isn't this huge travesty anymore that people make it out to be. Square-Enix has done more than enough ports and remakes to make up for it. The US version has a certain charm to it, and it's fun to play it still just to take a look at the changes and how far things like localization has come.

The GBA port was cool at the time for the added content and spruced up graphics, but it was basically a Wonderswan port that was awkwardly jammed in a GBA cart. The music quality suffered, as well. Plus, all the cool content can be found in the PSP port.

Long story short, if FFIV was a woman, I would stick my dick in her.

Ayen
01-27-2015, 07:34 AM
Well, to be fair, it was mainly loading the game and saving to the memory card that was the biggest problems, otherwise the game ran fine.

This. This is the only time I noticed the slow loading.

Galuf
01-27-2015, 05:01 PM
I have played all versions, even unofficial ones (don't get nitpicky with me because there are 500 obscure fan translations).

I would say that there is a three way tie between the common fan translation and the PS1 version.

Some of the liberties they took with the fan translation bothered me. Most notably pop culture references (William Shatner should never be mentioned in a FF game).

The PS1 would win outright, but the load times were pretty terrible. Well, to be fair, it was mainly loading the game and saving to the memory card that was the biggest problems, otherwise the game ran fine.

The PSP and DS versions are very cool, but the feel more like remakes to me, especially the DS version. By my own definition, I can't really consider that the best in a weird way.

The US "FFII" version had plenty of translation issues, and it was dumbed down, but it isn't this huge travesty anymore that people make it out to be. Square-Enix has done more than enough ports and remakes to make up for it. The US version has a certain charm to it, and it's fun to play it still just to take a look at the changes and how far things like localization has come.

The GBA port was cool at the time for the added content and spruced up graphics, but it was basically a Wonderswan port that was awkwardly jammed in a GBA cart. The music quality suffered, as well. Plus, all the cool content can be found in the PSP port.

Long story short, if FFIV was a woman, I would stick my dick in her.

i guess your not a fan of this game though. you have cecil as your avatar which clearly states you hate him. an worst of all. NO CHOCOBO FARM!!

Electroshock Therapy
01-27-2015, 05:40 PM
Well, to be fair, it was mainly loading the game and saving to the memory card that was the biggest problems, otherwise the game ran fine.

This. This is the only time I noticed the slow loading.

This is true. My first time playing this was on PS1, and it kicked my butt like no tomorrow. So I basically spammed the save feature everywhere I could because I was getting paranoid the game would throw some unexpected nasty, and it usually did. So I got to see the saving and loading screen A LOT! Kinda got old after a while. Maybe now that I know more about the game, it won't bother me because I'll save and die less. But I like my PSP version better anyway, so I'm selling my PS1 copy soon.

Motdrafin
01-31-2015, 01:40 PM
Well, I really like the PS1 version of FFIV, it's definitely my favorite. You don't notice the loading time if you memo save everywhere and only do a hard save when you're turning it off. It has good difficulty, not too hard like FFIV DS, and it has my favorite art-style to represent the game.

Fynn
02-17-2015, 09:33 AM
The DS version, without a doubt. It has the best kind if difficulty and actually has a cohesive art style (the lack of which is a huge pet peeve of mine) :monster:

Egami
02-17-2015, 04:20 PM
I guess the original one for the SNES. It was my very first FF title.

Sephiroth
03-16-2015, 09:32 PM

I would fight Zeromus EG any day over Geryon and Proto Babil.

Forsaken Lover
03-16-2015, 09:59 PM
Am I the only one who liked the Advanced version's ability to let you choose your final party? I've only beaten the Advanced version and I was stunned to learn in the original you were stuck with shitty Rosa and Edge.

I dumped their asses as soon as possible. Had Porom and Yang instead. I can't even imagine trying to play with them. Rosa especially was worthless, as both a character and in gameplay.

VeloZer0
03-17-2015, 01:03 AM
Pray is one of the most useful skills in the game. Especially in the versions with steeper difficulty.

fat_moogle
03-17-2015, 01:42 AM
The only one I've tried is the PS1 version from Final Fantasy Anthology, but I didn't play much. I'm considering purchasing Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection for PSP to play on my Vita while the Final Fantasy Discount offers are still live, but with FF Type-0 and the FFXV demo I'm not really sure I'm going to get around to playing it.

Sephex
03-17-2015, 03:53 AM
Pray is one of the most useful skills in the game. Especially in the versions with steeper difficulty.

Not only that, but Rosa practically breaks the end battle with Zeromus on any version. She is most of the reason why I wonder why so many people carry on about how hard the final battle is.

NeoCracker
03-24-2015, 12:06 AM
Not played the PSP version yet, but so far the DS version is the shit. Best script and best challenge of any version.

Not only that, but Rosa practically breaks the end battle with Zeromus on any version. She is most of the reason why I wonder why so many people carry on about how hard the final battle is.

The battle is easy once you realized Big Bang is going off as a counter attack. Then it becomes a breeze to clear that fight. :p

Sephex
03-25-2015, 05:06 AM
Not played the PSP version yet, but so far the DS version is the shit. Best script and best challenge of any version.

The battle is easy once you realized Big Bang is going off as a counter attack. Then it becomes a breeze to clear that fight. :p

I actually still do what I want in that battle and just make sure I have the strongest level of Cure set at all times. Maybe...MAYBE once in awhile one of my party dies, but all the items I have at that point make dealing with that no problem.

maybee
05-05-2015, 11:32 AM
The DS version, I don't mind the increase in difficulty, it adds more to the game. There's a little more to the characters and storyline too, like little chocolate sprinkles on top of a ice cream sundae.

I really want to play the GBA version though, to have the freedom of choice of who goes to fight Zeromus. And get rid of Edge.

Forsaken Lover
05-05-2015, 11:37 AM
If only I could have Tellah to fight Zeromus....

It is good to see everyone hates Edge though.

VeloZer0
05-05-2015, 06:24 PM
I disliked edge in the SNES, but found him considerably more valuable in the DS version. With everything being harder and counter attacks being more prevalent find that you can work his high evade in as part of your strategy.

Fynn
05-06-2015, 10:22 AM
Yeah, Edge was pretty okay?

Tellah had terrible MP, though.

FL, we can just never see eye to eye, can we :monster:

maybee
05-06-2015, 04:23 PM
Edge is a narcissistic twat who hits on Rydia, even though she keeps on shouting no at him in very version of FF IV

Not to mention the Big Whale scene. Cecil has a good reason why he wants Rosa and Rydia to leave. Rosa because he loves her deeply, and Rydia is like a young daughter or young sister to him.

Edge just wants them gone because " it's a man's mission "

like, fuck off.

Ayen
05-06-2015, 05:56 PM
I don't think I made it far enough to see Edge.

Guy sounds like an asshole.

Fynn
05-06-2015, 07:32 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong, he is. I just said he's useful enough I the DS version.

Not to mention in the After Years he actually grows up and becomes likeable.

maybee
05-06-2015, 07:51 PM
I can't remember his personality in the After Years. I need to replay. I just remember cheering when Edward stands up to Dark ! Kain.

You go Spoony Bard ! :chocobo:

Mirage
05-06-2015, 08:07 PM

no but you might be the only one who prefers it

PSP for me.

Spooniest
05-07-2015, 04:55 AM
I. I like sitting on a couch and having a TV and controller to play on.

II. I like the 3d da version (which I once owned and beat)

Therefore:

III. I prefer the PC version.