PDA

View Full Version : Goodnight sweet Cadbury in the US, aka Brits make fun of our chocolate: the thread

Pike
01-26-2015, 07:20 PM
After a Deal, British Chocolates Won’t Cross the Pond (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/24/nyregion/after-a-deal-british-chocolates-wont-cross-the-pond.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&bicmp=AD&bicmlukp=WT.mc_id&bicmst=1409232722000&bicmet=1419773522000)

Don't worry, the Cadbury eggs and things like that which are made in the US aren't going anywhere. But British-made Cadbury goodness? Nope. Banned.

I guess Mister Adequate won't be moving here anymore after all :ohdear:

Edit:

Gail Maddick, who moved to Forest Hills, Queens, from Scotland last year, agreed, and suggested British expatriates take their grievances right to the top.

“What would Her Majesty think about all this?”

Shauna
01-26-2015, 07:25 PM
Haha, sucks to be you guys.

I will have my Dairy Milk bar!

Madame Adequate
01-26-2015, 07:34 PM
RIP America.

Psychotic
01-26-2015, 08:11 PM
Hershey's is fucking pig swill, Cadbury is chocolate heaven.

In Britain they started using American chocolate shells to make Creme Eggs with this year and there's been uproar. And it's justified! As a Creme Egg expert, I can immediately tell the difference. It's crackly and crunchy and when you bite a Creme Egg now jagged edges go for your gums. British made chocolate is much softer and works better for Creme Eggs.

Iceglow
01-26-2015, 08:57 PM
I used to be a huge fan of Cadbury's milk chocolate but my palette is refining, craving something more intense. Lately, I find I'm a connoisseur of dark chocolate. The higher the cocoa count, the better. Currently I'm nibbling my way through a bar of 72% cocoa Belgian dark, it's good but lacks something like sea salt to set it off entirely (good god people I demand you try the Lindt bar of dark chocolate with sea salt!)

That being said, the king of all chocolates is Dairy Milk with Daim. Oh god this sweet terror of my dreams is heavenly, I could eat a kilo of it and not feel sick. Well maybe I would feel very sick, but it would be totally god damn worth every second of gut wrenching agony. If given the choice between Olivia Wilde (Thirteen in House. Also known as the epitome of Steve's taste in women!) professing her eternal undying love for me and her hand in marriage, or a lifetime's supply of Cabury's Dairy Milk with Daim I would be seriously challenged to pick Olivia Wilde. In fact, without that being a legit offer I could only ever call it 50/50 on which way that would go.

Madame Adequate
01-26-2015, 09:03 PM
Steve you ain't a connoisseur of anything except maybe your sister's farts

Iceglow
01-26-2015, 09:06 PM
Steve you ain't a connoisseur of anything except maybe your sister's farts

Actually you have it wrong, I'm a connoisseur of your mother. Now go play with Lembik whilst the adults see to business :P

Madame Adequate
01-26-2015, 09:08 PM
My mum's a lovely woman with many interesting and attractive qualities, you wouldn't be the first to gaze at her from afar.

I don't know who or what "Lembik" is.

Iceglow
01-26-2015, 09:15 PM
I don't know who or what "Lembik" is.

http://i1.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article219566.ece/alternates/s2197/lembit-opik-pic-getty-images-857345544.jpg

Madame Adequate
01-26-2015, 09:18 PM
That's Lembit.

Iceglow
01-26-2015, 09:24 PM
That's Lembit.

Sorry, typo'd was laughing too hard at the thought of him caressing your flowing locks and calling you a cheeky girl... Tell us Hux has he ever asked you to touch his bum?

http://vocaroo.com/i/s07tLTASYEbD

Madame Adequate
01-26-2015, 09:26 PM
Bit classless to make references or comments like that when you know his brother, my dad, really did molest me, but okay.

Psychotic
01-26-2015, 09:35 PM
Now that we've insulted each other's families let's get back to the important pursuit of trashing the evil that is Hershey's. Thank you.

Shauna
01-26-2015, 09:38 PM
Hersheys chocolate tastes like bile.

Madame Adequate
01-27-2015, 04:21 PM
I genuinely do dislike Hershey's quite a lot and I have never understood how and why Americans think it's good. Nevermind fancy shite, our meanest own brands are still better than that. There are plenty of good candy bars over there, but I reckon if you want a block of milk chocolate, you may be out of luck.

Pike
01-27-2015, 04:27 PM
I swear to god I really can't taste the difference. I like Hershey's With Almonds more than most anything I tried when I was abroad.

But you guys do have Kinder Bueno which is better than literally every American candy bar combined, so...

Aulayna
01-27-2015, 04:44 PM
In the decades to come, historians will look back at this precise moment in time as the start of the downfall of the United States of America.

Loony BoB
01-27-2015, 05:11 PM
I remember reading about how the Cadbury recipe in New Zealand got changed and my kinsmen cried blue murder over it. It changed back within a year, apparently!

American chocolate tends to be really subpar, but I gotta say I adore the mint M&M's.

Cadbury is good, but there are other better chocolates out there these days. Thorntons truffles are heavenly. I occasionally import a few Whittaker's Peanut Slabs from New Zealand and it tastes freakin' amazing every time. Chocolates bought at local markets tend to be pretty good over here, too.

Iceglow
01-27-2015, 06:56 PM
American food in general is usually worse than it's British counterpart, which perhaps isn't surprising given how much overly processed things are. Hilarious video I remember watching showed Irish folk trying American foods. Irish food generally being a bit blander than even British food (what with it all being potatoes and all :love:)

What is surprising is how America fucked up chocolate. I mean the reason most American food is so bad to us European folk is the sweetness and over processed style of it all. Froot Loops for example is so sweet I'm surprised there isn't an EU law forbidding it's sale. Chocolate is the one thing I half expected the USA to get right and yet, somehow... they failed again. It's pretty depressing really.

Shorty
01-27-2015, 07:10 PM
Hershey's has their hands in a lot of chocolate here. I dislike straight up milk chocolate by Hershey's like regular Hershey's bars or Kisses, etc, because they taste horrific. However, I think their Symphony bars are lovely and taste quite like European chocolate to me, and I also enjoy their cookies and cream bars and things like that.

While I think this is a bulltrout mandate and that it will only hurt the chocolate industry, I dislike the general slagging on American chocolate by non-Americans because, well, that's bulltrout, too. There are many fabulous chocolatiers who receive less attention because they are smaller and don't distribute nearly as wide, and they shouldn't all be judged by Hershey's. That's like judging all fast food by McDonald's, or judging all Mexican food by Chipotle. It's not an accurate comparison.

Hershey's would do well to take more European consideration into their recipes like using more actual cocoa and less sugar, but the cost of cacao beans has been on the rise for years, so in keeping tradition of the rest of corporate America, they've chosen to sacrifice quality for quantity, which is a pity.

American food in general is usually worse than it's British counterpart

This is quite hilarious. We have wonderful food here.

Madame Adequate
01-27-2015, 07:14 PM
Yeah uh, American food is fucking amazing.

Loony BoB
01-27-2015, 07:22 PM
In my experience, both sides of the pond have amazing food if you actually know where to go. Both have awful food too.

Mirage
01-27-2015, 07:35 PM
"chocolate"

I'm sure you in fact mean "random stuff covered in a thin layer of watered(milked?)-out chocolate".

Psychotic
01-27-2015, 09:20 PM
I dislike the general slagging on American chocolate by non-Americans because, well, that's bulltrout, too. There are many fabulous chocolatiers who receive less attention because they are smaller and don't distribute nearly as wide, and they shouldn't all be judged by Hershey's. Actually in fairness, See's and Ghirardelli both are pretty great - San Francisco has got it going on when it comes to chocolate.

I am entirely with Huxley on this, American food in general absolutely rules.

Pumpkin
01-27-2015, 09:29 PM
I like Cadbury, but I also like Hershey's. Those Hershey's bars with the almonds are friggin delicious.

I am sad about maybe Kitkats though? I really like me some of those

escobert
01-27-2015, 10:58 PM
American food in general is usually worse than it's British counterpart, which perhaps isn't surprising given how much overly processed things are. Hilarious video I remember watching showed Irish folk trying American foods. Irish food generally being a bit blander than even British food (what with it all being potatoes and all :love:)

Uhhh pretty much everything I eat comes from around me and isn't processed unless I want to be a piggy and get food at a grocery store. I shop at the CO-OPs for breads and that sort of stuffs and local farmers markets for veggies. Unless it's winter then I have to get some veggies at the Co-op. My meat comes from the farm I work and live on. It's almost as if people think all of the USA is one giant city or some shit. :p

Chocolate is meh.

Crop
01-27-2015, 11:21 PM
Hershey Bars quite literally have the aftertaste of vomit.

If we're talking about US food in general though, 99% of it hands down beats UK food in my experience.

Ayen
01-27-2015, 11:57 PM
Damn, Brits. Keeping all the chocolate to themselves. Not that I can blame them.

So, when do we invade?

Pike
01-27-2015, 11:58 PM
I think the difference between myself and most of you is that I don't really like just plain chocolate by its lonesome. Either the American kind, the UK kind, or any other, really. I mean, it's okay, but nothing special. Chocolate needs to have nuts or peanut butter or mint or hazelnut or something in it, and then it gets really good :love:

Quindiana Jones
01-28-2015, 06:22 AM
Hershey Bars quite literally have the aftertaste of vomit.

If we're talking about US food in general though, 99% of it hands down beats UK food in my experience.

It's because a component used by Hershey's to make their stuff is the same crap in vomit. ;)

Kraft bought Cadbury's, right? Is that when they started going downhill?

Seriousness aside, with American stuff, I've found that the bigger the company, the less faffed they are about quality. It doesn't guarantee a consistent lack of quality but an average dip, in my experience. Cadbury's, despite being massive, always had a big focus on high quality but affordable chocolate. I wonder why this is (if indeed it actually is, or if it's just my limited experience).

Does America get Thornton's? More specifically, do you get the big bags of toffee off-cuts covered in chocolate? Oh my... the absolute best.

Shorty
01-28-2015, 06:24 AM
Kraft owns Hershey's who purchased the rights to Cadbury recipes and can tweak them as they like.

Quindiana Jones
01-28-2015, 06:56 AM
Mmm. Chalky-late.

Jessweeee♪
01-28-2015, 07:39 AM
I don't understand, are there no major corporations making cheap shitty food in the UK or are there people over there that are under the impression that Americans never cook from scratch :confused:

Psychotic
01-28-2015, 08:36 AM
I don't understand, are there no major corporations making cheap shitty food in the UK or are there people over there that are under the impression that Americans never cook from scratch :confused:No, but when one of our national favourites gets taken over by one of those corporations who then make it cheap and shitty, is it any wonder people are a bit narced? :p

Quindiana Jones
01-28-2015, 08:44 AM
Does anybody make chocolate from scratch? ;)

Sephex
01-28-2015, 08:55 AM
As an American, all I care about is acquiring more mass. Vomit chocolate, Redcoat chocolate, Axe Body Spray chocolate--it doesn't matter. As long as I shove more food in my mouth I am happy.

Quindiana Jones
01-28-2015, 09:51 AM
I'm like that with cheese and wine. And Weetos. I can eat, have eaten, and will almost certainly again eat so much of those that I'm sick for days. :D

Night Fury
01-28-2015, 09:57 AM

Absolute ridiculous generalisation there.

I'd love to go to America and do a big food road trip. For a start, the southern states are very influenced by Mexican cuisine etc so they have some amazing dishes there and that's probably the tip of the iceburg. Yes, America has junk food but so does the UK. The UK has a lot of horrible processed crap which is why school dinners were changed.

Also, I hate to be 'that' person in a thread but the Irish people eat plenty more than potatoes as well, it's a tired stereotype and links back to the potato famine which killed millions. Off the top of my head there is barmbrack, crubeens, drisheen, fried bacon bread, soda bread.

EDIT: To remain on topic. yes, Hersheys tastes like crap :p I'm not a fan of those peanut butter cups either.

Jessweeee♪
01-28-2015, 05:46 PM
omfg you just reminded me of tamales, I am so going to the tamale truck today.

Shorty
01-28-2015, 07:12 PM
LINDT IS THE BEST CHOCOLATE IN THE WORLD

Psychotic
01-28-2015, 07:35 PM
I honestly can't taste the difference between Hershey and Cadbury. It's all pretty low-quality , over-processed chocolate, let's be honest here, guys. If you'd had the British Cadbury recipe you'd know the difference. American Cadbury is made by Hershey so that's why it tastes the same to you.

btw Guylian > Lindt 4eva.

Mirage
01-28-2015, 07:39 PM
Everything Kraft buys turns into excrement. They bought one of norway's biggest chocolate producers too and I haven't bought it since.

Shauna
01-28-2015, 08:43 PM
btw Guylian > Lindt 4eva.

They are both fantastic, but yes. Completely correct. Lindt just tends to be a little bit more affordable, so I have it more often.

Psychotic
01-28-2015, 08:58 PM
Can often see Guylian on sale for £3.00 in Tesco. Same size box costs £10.00 in Waitrose in London!

Shorty
01-28-2015, 08:59 PM
I enjoy the milky Guylian. The darker ones are a bit too rich for me D:

Shauna
01-28-2015, 09:02 PM
Can often see Guylian on sale for £3.00 in Tesco. Same size box costs £10.00 in Waitrose in London!

Whaaaaat. Need to get me to some Tescos.

Although the Waitrose thing doesn't surprise me. Because it's Waitrose. And it's also in London. Pretty much the most expensive thing in the world.

Formalhaut
01-29-2015, 01:23 PM
I remember getting some Hershey's in that delightful care package I received about 2-3 years ago. It wasn't half bad! Maybe I have bad taste though.

Anyway, for me, Dairy Milk is only really best when there are stuff in it. It isn't really good enough by itself. But in the past year or so Cadbury started doing their 'Daily Milk introducing...' range, and the Dairy Milk and Daim combination is heavily. As is the Dairy Milk and Oreo combination. But Dairy Milk on it's own? Nah.

In terms of luxury chocolates, Montezuma's is pretty food for gift chocolate. Guylians and Lindt are also pretty amazing, even if Lindt is almost sickly in how rich it is.

Loony BoB
01-29-2015, 02:06 PM
Guylian and Lindt are nice, but I'd still take Thorntons truffles over either of them.

Night Fury
01-29-2015, 02:34 PM
Guylian seashells... Oh yes.

Aulayna
01-29-2015, 03:55 PM
Paul, Kraft replaced the Dairy Milk shells on Creme Eggs with generic Kraft chocolate shells. They taste so wrong now. :(

Part of my childhood has been killed.

Night Fury
01-30-2015, 01:53 AM
We still got those chocolate oranges though right? :p

Iceglow
01-30-2015, 06:02 AM
Honestly, you post a sweeping generalization mocking American food and people take you all serious like. Of course America has some great food. I mean, everywhere does when you look for only the best. However, it's more fun to mock American's for eating bad food constantly than to praise how good things are. Especially after some jumped up colonial company decided to start messing with imperial food favourites.

KentaRawr!
01-30-2015, 11:09 AM
I'll just leave this here:

7Vfbv6hNeng