PDA

View Full Version : Best Games to play on the 3DS

Scotty_ffgamer
01-26-2015, 11:38 PM
This is including DS games!

I've been starting to build up my DS/3DS library lately. Just picked up Radiant Historia and the Dragon Quest games, and I'm trying to decide if I want to play that or Bravely Default at the moment. Anyways, I figured I'd ask you all what games have been your favorites as a means to help me figure out what I want to look for next. The consoles have so many good games, and it could be fun to talk about the highlights as well!

Pike
01-26-2015, 11:44 PM
Definitely FFTA2 and the Pokemon games. Also: SimCity DS!

Ayen
01-27-2015, 12:03 AM
Tomodachi Life.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-27-2015, 12:05 AM
As a side discussion, are there any games that people think really benefit from the 3D effect? I really can't do the 3D just because I can't hold the 3ds in the sweet spot, but I'll be getting the New 3DS when it comes out, and that one has better viewing angles for the 3d.

Madame Adequate
01-27-2015, 12:33 AM
All the Etrian Odyssey games. Bravely Default. All Pokeymans, obviously.

Vyk
01-27-2015, 12:35 AM
The town design benefits from it in Bravely Default. But its not really a huge deal in any game. It just looks really nice in Bravely Default, because when you enter a town, its like a parallax layered thing. It looks like a layered painting. It's really pretty. And adding depth makes it really really pretty

I would suggest that game just because it deserves some love. I dunno what kinda games you're into. For DS people are going to suggest The World Ends With You since you already have Radiant Historia

The Devil Summoner games are probably pretty good. I own one but haven't really dug my teeth into it yet. And I have the second one pre-ordered lol

But my favorite games are Fire Emblem: Awakening, 999, Tales of Innocence (you'd need a ROM cart to enjoy that though), and Tomodachi is an insanely amusing time waster. I also have Fantasy Life and people rave about that. The girlfriend has The Four Heroes of Light, and Rune Factory 4, which are pretty highly regarded

Skyblade
01-27-2015, 12:48 AM
Some Great 3DS Games:

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (good use of 3D)
Bravely Default (good use of 3D)
Fire Emblem Awakening (excellent use of 3D)
Pokémon X/Y
Fantasy Life
Rune Factory 4
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call
Professor Layton Vs. Ace Attorney
Starfox 64 3D
The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time 3D (good use of 3D)
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (not out yet, but well worth getting upon release)
Super Smash Bros. for 3DS
Monster Hunter 4 (if you like that style of game, skip 3 and go straight to the new one when it releases)
Animal Crossing: New Leaf (personally not a fan, but it's apparently the best game in the series so far if it appeals to you)

Some Great DS Games:

Chrono Trigger
Rune Factory 3 (better than number 4, this game is a seriously underrated masterpiece)
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
The World Ends With You
Pokémon Platinum
999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
Tetris DS
Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME.
Okamiden
Kirby Super Star Ultra

Scotty_ffgamer
01-27-2015, 12:55 AM
The World Ends with You is one of my favorite games.

I'm also going to throw out that I played Trace Memory a couple of years ago, and that game was excellent. I wish we got the sequel here.

Vyk
01-27-2015, 06:36 AM
Didn't that team do Hotel Dusk and Secret Window? I haven't tried Secret Window because I didn't like Hotel Dusk, but everyone else seems to love it. It's got a nifty art style. Its also got a nifty game style. Not too many games out there like it

Scotty_ffgamer
01-27-2015, 06:39 AM
They did do Hotel Dusk. They also did Little King's Story apparently if Wikipedia is to be believed. Hmm.

Mahad
01-27-2015, 06:51 AM
Skyblade pretty much puts up everything I had in mind and more.

Shadow Dragon...it's fine if you're fan of the series, but I'll avoid it and go with FE: Awakening first to get a taste of the series. Then, if going old school (graphics, style) isn't an issue and you want to see that first game that started it, it's not a bad game mechanically. I personally enjoyed it, but you're not missing out if you skip it.

Del Murder
01-27-2015, 07:43 PM
A Link Between Worlds is a masterpiece and required for any Zelda fan. Pokemon X/Y is also great, as is Fire Emblem and Bravely Default. Basically, what's on Skyblade's list.

I could go on with others that everyone else has mentioned but here are two that I doubt anyone will mention since they are fairly obscure:

9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors (DS)
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (3DS)

VLR is the sequel to 999 and they are both adventure point-and-click style games but the storytelling is phenomenal and both games branch into multiple endings (which you can then rewind to see the other endings).

Freya
01-27-2015, 08:03 PM
Now, bare with me.

DOn't dismiss this but

The mama games. They are just a bunch of fun mini games! Cooking mama, gardening mama etc. They are fun if you want silly mini game fun.

metagloria
01-27-2015, 09:50 PM
Upvote for Bravely Default and A Link Between Worlds. I'm also a big fan of the Professor Layton games because my wife got me hooked on them.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-27-2015, 11:55 PM
I do have 999 and Virtues Last Reward (that one is on Vita). I really should play them someday.

Vyk
01-28-2015, 02:16 AM
999 is one of those games that I popped in just to try out on a whim with no intention of even putting more than an hour or so in, just to recover from burn-out over Bravely Default and Tales of Innocence. And then I ended up not being able to put it down. Which is saying a lot considering I have trouble enjoying any handheld games as they make my back, arms, and hands hurt after a while. But it was also a fantastic game to play during a lunch break or a quick bathroom break or some light reading (with interactivity) before bed. It gave me a new appreciation for visual novels and handheld games both. And people say Virtues Last Reward blows it out of the water

CimminyCricket
01-28-2015, 04:15 AM
Bravely Default because I love job focused games, Fire Emblem Awakening because I love tactical RPGs, Pokemon because duh, and Final Fantasy III because I've been trying to get into the game for years.

Vyk
01-29-2015, 03:18 AM
I kinda wish I could get into a Pokemon game, but they all seem so grindy and empty in the story aspect. I recently went on the prowl to find one that may suit me, after having heard that a few them have attempted to change the formula and have been raged at by fans for being too different. But I never paid attention to which ones. So I googled it and most people said that Black and White had the best story, so that's the one I tried, and I can not get to the story. What I've played is nothing but grinding out random encounters and a reskinned Pokemon 1 with the option to play as a girl thrown in, and Mr Oak with a sex change. And while on my search I heard people complaining that Pokemon X/Y sucks because they tried to change something that was fundamental to a Pokemon game: the grind. People seriously enjoy grinding? Wut. That might also make it appeal to me, but then I'm afraid it's story is going to be even worse since it was not the one nominated for best story

Long story short, I guess Pokemon just isn't for me. But I can at least say I tried

Skyblade
01-29-2015, 03:28 AM
I kinda wish I could get into a Pokemon game, but they all seem so grindy and empty in the story aspect. I recently went on the prowl to find one that may suit me, after having heard that a few them have attempted to change the formula and have been raged at by fans for being too different. But I never paid attention to which ones. So I googled it and most people said that Black and White had the best story, so that's the one I tried, and I can not get to the story. What I've played is nothing but grinding out random encounters and a reskinned Pokemon 1 with the option to play as a girl thrown in, and Mr Oak with a sex change. And while on my search I heard people complaining that Pokemon X/Y sucks because they tried to change something that was fundamental to a Pokemon game: the grind. People seriously enjoy grinding? Wut. That might also make it appeal to me, but then I'm afraid it's story is going to be even worse since it was not the one nominated for best story

Long story short, I guess Pokemon just isn't for me. But I can at least say I tried

The story on Pokémon X/Y is honestly kind of pathetic. Everything involved with the actual story sucks.

However, aside from the main "story", there's the world. Which is utterly fantastic. There's the journey you go on with your friends, which is great. The friends are all fairly well developed, and there's a good dynamic there. There's tons of atmosphere and world exploration, which is all great.

The story sucks, but there's so much more than that which is all worthwhile.

Vyk
01-29-2015, 04:14 AM
Well I'll admit the friends element sounds way more interesting than the lone trek of previous games. So I may still give it a peek. I can't download and taste test 3DS games the way I do with DS games, but I'm almost positive I can rent it. Thanks for the note on that, though