PDA

View Full Version : Capcom should make a Final Fantasy fighting game

SuperMillionaire
01-29-2015, 06:44 PM
Square Enix tried to make a fighting game of their own with Dissidia, and while I enjoyed it, I think Capcom can do better. They should make a fighting game with Final Fantasy characters, perhaps styled after Marvel vs Capcom 3. I don't know what the title of the game should be, though. Any suggestions?

Ayen
01-30-2015, 12:28 AM
So, you want to take the Final Fantasy IP from one struggling Japanese video game company to another struggling Japanese video game company?

The gameplay would be solid, but I don't see Square outsourcing.

Rez09
01-30-2015, 01:09 AM
I don't know what the title of the game should be, though. Any suggestions?

Final Fightasy

Joking aside, I have to agree with Tori about Square likely not wanting to share its toys, though Capcom DID manage to strike up a deal with SNK while the two were heated rivals in the fighting game market, so who knows what is possible.

That said, I don't think I'd want Capcom making a Final Fantasy fighting game, at least not like their traditional Vs. series. I feel the series' pacing would match up poorly with the FF license, as Golbez flying in for a long aerial chain to swap to Vivi for a super just doesn't seem right to me.

What I would love to see, however, is something more along the lines of a party fighter like BlayzBloo, Bleach Blade Battlers 2, or Power Stone, preferably a mix of the three is possible. The games are generally pretty quick to pick up and play, would be able to take great advantage of unique locations and items from the various FF titles, and, as BB2 showed, can still offer plenty of fighting game depth despite player expectation. Imagine Garland flying around on a red chocobo, raining down meteors, while three other players fight in the middle of the FF8 parade over a Spoon that dropped from a random crate.

I'd play that.

Or fighting on the Lethe River raft in magitek armor while Ultros tries to grab people.

Capcom had a great thing going with Power Stone and I'm sure they could do a lot to improve the formula if they went back to it now, and the FF license would be great for it.

Electroshock Therapy
01-30-2015, 01:57 AM
Wait, is Square Enix struggling? I knew Capcom was because they seem to be having internal struggles. That was obvious because of the games they release, abandoned, or downright cancel. It's like they can never make up their mind about anything, and that causes complication within and upsets fans.

But I don't know anything about Square Enix. I mean, sure, they lost Final Fantasy fans because of the direction they're going, but they've also gained fans for the same reason. But I don't pay attention to internal struggles if I can help it so I may be missing something.

Ayen
01-30-2015, 02:43 AM
Wait, is Square Enix struggling? I knew Capcom was because they seem to be having internal struggles. That was obvious because of the games they release, abandoned, or downright cancel. It's like they can never make up their mind about anything, and that causes complication within and upsets fans.

But I don't know anything about Square Enix. I mean, sure, they lost Final Fantasy fans because of the direction they're going, but they've also gained fans for the same reason. But I don't pay attention to internal struggles if I can help it so I may be missing something.

I don't think they're struggling financially, but they've been struggling trying to get their footing back in the Western market for a good while now. Prolonged development, bad business decisions, and just not getting what fans want is a big part of it. Their last successes of note over here has been Tomb Raider (which they dubbed a failure) and Bravely Default (which wouldn't have even been brought over here if it wasn't for Nintendo convincing them to do so). Tabata's already gone on record saying FFXV could be the last console game for Final Fantasy if it fails.

Capcom just struggles with everything.

SuperMillionaire
03-23-2015, 07:58 PM
Square Enix is remaking Dissidia for arcades, but I still think they should collaborate with Capcom on a fighting game.

metagloria
03-23-2015, 08:08 PM
Thanks but no thanks. Square did something awesome and creative. Capcom fighting games are lame.

Leigh
03-23-2015, 08:19 PM
Why do good companies just start making bad games all of a sudden, and once they make the first bad one, they just can't stop doing it? Capcom used to be good. Why?! At least Konami is still doing okay, even if their Castlevania sucks today!

Dante WolfWood
03-23-2015, 09:54 PM
Capcom should finish MML3 and get their head out their own arse.

metagloria
03-23-2015, 11:43 PM
Capcom should finish MML3 and get their head out their own arse.
All my this.

Kyros
03-24-2015, 08:49 PM
Or Square could just make another Ehrgeiz!

Mirage
03-24-2015, 11:52 PM
Final fantasy fighting game, sure. Capcom? No thanks.

Shoeberto
03-25-2015, 04:09 PM
I disagree. I think instead Valve should make a Final Fantasy-themed competitive multiplayer first-person shooter.

edit: I was a little heated in my post. I apologize. What should the title of this game be?

Shauna
03-25-2015, 04:53 PM
Final Fortress 2

Lone Wolf Leonhart
03-25-2015, 05:18 PM
I don't think my wallet could handle the six different versions that would come out with minimal changes.

Super Ultra Mega Final Fantasy 3D Arcade Platinum Complete Edition. Coming soon, a cancelled sequel.

I'm too butthurt about Breath of Fire VI coming to mobile (which i'm still anxiously looking forward to) to be excited about any Capcom game outside of the Devil May Cry series. They've really taken a step back in terms of actual fan desires. I'll always have a place for them on my shelf, though.

But who knows, maybe it would turn out really awesome and I'd change my tune.

Depression Moon
03-25-2015, 08:10 PM
Not from Capcom. I'm tired of them, maybe from Arc Systems, SNK, or Reverge Labs.

Kalevala
03-25-2015, 11:07 PM
Thanks but no thanks. Square did something awesome and creative. Capcom fighting games are lame.

I realize this is probably an unpopular opinion, but I have to agree. Capcom fighting games look flashy and are particularly impressive in the hands of some of the better known players on the competitive circuit, but they just don't seem capable of carrying the weight a Final Fantasy mash-up would require (not that I think the series is really deep, but Capcom's fighting plots seem pretty mindless by comparison). So, as a mindless fanservice romp? Sure. As something that will really stand out? Probably not.

Keep in mind I'm not a fan of Dissidia​, either.

maybee
03-26-2015, 10:08 AM
Yes. Though the big problem is that Crapcom hasn't been really that good of a company lately, and have just been right assbutts [ Tekken X Street Fighter on disc DLC for a small example ]

Namco could do a better job, like a Final Fantasy X Soul Calibur because SC characters use weapons like FF characters do, while Crapcom is more used to more Ryu and Ken like fighters who use throwing, kicking, and punching etc.

Aulayna
03-28-2015, 01:42 PM
Get Namco to do it.

Transcending History and the World, a tale of souls and swords, eternally retol-SEPHIROTH

Kalevala
03-28-2015, 08:28 PM
Final Fantasy X Soul Calibur

Most confusing title ever.

black orb
03-28-2015, 08:53 PM
>>> Hell no, Squarenix`s Dissidia is a WAY better fighter than any the overhyped Capcom and Namco crap.. Squarenix already proved that they can do better fighters than those companies. The problem is that SE just dont give a damn about making fighting games..:luca:

maybee
03-29-2015, 08:58 AM

Oh true ! ^^;

Skyblade
03-29-2015, 02:15 PM

Oh true ! ^^;

Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2

Third part of the trilogy?! :D

Spooniest
03-29-2015, 04:08 PM
SNK could do it?

Not capcom though...too arcadey.

Scotty_ffgamer
03-29-2015, 06:47 PM

Oh true ! ^^;

Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2

Sin is back, and this time Yu Yevon had nothing to do with it. In a twist of fate, the fabled blade, Soul Edge, fell into the world of Spira. Unfortunately for Spira, the blade fell in front of the oblivious Tidus who was quickly possessed when he picked up the sword. Whether it was through the interference of pyreflies or the Fayth, the spirit of Soul Edge formed an outer shell around Tidus which took the shape of Sin. Can Yuna once again defeat Sin and save Spira, even if it costs the life of man she loves?

Transcending history and Spira, a tale of pyreflies and swords eternally retold.

SuperMillionaire
04-02-2015, 05:51 PM
Perhaps it should be called Final Fantasy vs Soul Calibur instead.

Ayen
04-03-2015, 05:46 AM
I'm just going to leave this right here:

RtF80UCgarY

Spooniest
04-03-2015, 05:02 PM
I'm just going to leave this right here:

RtF80UCgarY

Awesome.

Never get tired of it

SuperMillionaire
04-14-2015, 05:17 PM
That's the opening of Soul Edge, the first entry in the Soul Calibur series.

Mirage
04-14-2015, 08:33 PM
That is a post by Supermillionaire, a member of the Eyes on Final Fantasy messageboard.

maybee
04-14-2015, 08:53 PM

Oh true ! ^^;

Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2

Seymour's evil older sister Edith uses ancient, dark forbidden magic that summons Soul Calibur characters in the FFX universe ????

And you have to use Tidus, Auron, X-2 Yuna, Rikku, Wakka or lulu to smash em up

/hiremeSE

SuperMillionaire
04-29-2015, 08:29 PM
The new Dissidia is apparently being developed by Team Ninja, one of the companies behind Dead or Alive (hm, maybe Dead Fantasy might be a reality soon, who knows?), but it's not a typical fighting game. Dead or Alive has very little magic in it, so although I liked Dead Fantasy, it would not have made as much sense as a crossover with Soul Calibur, which has weapons, as well as some magic, although not as much magic as Street Fighter. If Square Enix wants to make a traditional fighting game with Final Fantasy characters, they should go to either Namco or Capcom.

Ayen
04-30-2015, 12:05 AM
The new Dissidia is apparently being developed by Team Ninja

being developed by Team Ninja

developed by Team Ninja

Team Ninja

God help us all.

Spooniest
04-30-2015, 09:13 PM
jluv2HxFEqs

HEY

There's a ninja with huge boobs over there

BlackFire
05-04-2015, 04:29 AM
I like that idea. A Final Fantasy fighting game would be awesome! You would have to have a large roster of fighters in such a game to satisfy everyone. I think Bandai Namco would be a great choice for developer.

SuperMillionaire
05-07-2015, 05:50 PM
Right now, they're developing a non-traditional fighting game with Team Ninja. In the future, though, I hope they collaborate with either Namco or Capcom on a traditional fighting game.

Wolf Kanno
05-15-2015, 03:02 AM
Capcom would have to prove they can make a really good fighting game first. I honestly feel SFIII Third Strike is probably the last decent fighter Capcom has produced in years with IV being too regressive and the MvC3 franchise continuing the path of ruin MvC2 established by making it all about flashy supers and easy spam combos.

Part of me wants to say to give it to the Guilty Gear crew, but I would be afraid it would be more BlazBlue and less GGX2. Frankly, the genre has devolved into all flash with no substance fair, or so excruciatingly Hardcore the games require you to beat Rugal on the hardest difficulty on your first try with only light punches and kicks in order to qualify to play their games anymore.

Mirage
05-15-2015, 11:08 AM

God help us all.
Why?

Ayen
05-15-2015, 11:12 AM

God help us all.
Why?

Metroid Other M.

Shauna
05-15-2015, 11:17 AM
They also did Ninja Gaiden. They have also made a few fighting games before, in the Dead or Alive series. So they have some experience there! They also did Hyrule Warriors which was not complete destruction of the source material.

So, they have one "bad game", which people only complained about the story/characterisation of. Not the gameplay. Which does not matter in fighting games. At all.

So... what is the issue, again?

Ayen
05-15-2015, 11:22 AM
They also did Ninja Gaiden. They have also made a few fighting games before, in the Dead or Alive series. So they have some experience there! They also did Hyrule Warriors which was not complete destruction of the source material.

So, they have one "bad game", which people only complained about the story/characterisation of. Not the gameplay. Which does not matter in fighting games. At all.

I have an opinion that's different than yours apparently.

Skyblade
05-15-2015, 12:43 PM

Um, there are plenty of complaints about the gameplay. The fact that the game couldn't decide if it wanted to be first or third person was crippling. The constant perspective shifting sucked. Having to hold still to shoot missiles sucked (and made the game harder than it should have been). And there are more problems than just that.

Shauna
05-15-2015, 01:15 PM
I have never played Other M, so I blanket statement'd because that's the cool internet thing to do. Perhaps utilisation of "mainly" over "only" would be made an improvement to my point. I need to stop using these definitive words because they distract from my point!

In the great uproar about Other M though, 90% of complaints were about their butchering of Samus Aran, over complaints of the finnicky gameplay. Not saying that there aren't problems, but the major issues people had with Other M were with the story/characterisation.

But regardless, that's still just one game of their repertoire, and not even a fighting game at that. I am just puzzled as to why Other M being "bad" means that a Team Ninja Dissidia will be bad, when there is pretty much nothing comparable about the two.

Is DoA a terrible fighting game? I think the answer to that question will be more useful to whether a Team Ninja Dissidia will be bad in terms of gameplay.

If you're concerned with the handling of the source material... You do have Other M on one hand, but then you have Hyrule Warriors on the other. I feel like Dissidia would have more in common with Hyrule Warriors if you absolutely had to make a comparison, so I'd be cautiously optimistic. Particularly as fighting games don't need to have the most stellar of stories.

Ayen
05-15-2015, 10:14 PM
Yes, the concern was over handling of the source material. I need to learn to explain myself better instead of posting one liners like I'm a Marvel character written by Joss Whedon. Square doesn't need any help butchering their own characters since they seem to do that well enough on their own. Advent Children, Crisis Core, and their actual fighting games being prime examples of that. I haven't played Hyrule Warriors so I'll have to take your word on it.

I already knew about Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden. DoA being brought up as an example means nothing to me. The first game was boring and the only appeal was the hot women. 5 was loads better because technology, but still not something I'd spend a great amount of time on. So as far as their fighting games go I'm not a fan. Oh, and I like having good stories in my fighting games by the way. Mortal Kombat and Evil Zone showed me that it's possible and I don't accept anything less anymore. I don't think it's any secret I value story over gameplay around here.

And if it happens to be more like the games I do like from them (Ninja Gaiden) I'm liable to toss my controller across the room because those games are hard as smurf. But I'd doubt they'd go gung ho on the difficulty.

Hope that explains things better.

SuperMillionaire
05-23-2015, 08:43 PM
Perhaps Square Enix decided to collaborate with Team Ninja because of Dead Fantasy, that's what I'm guessing. I liked the crossover, but I think a crossover with Soul Calibur would have made more sense, because Soul Calibur has weapons and some magic, although not as much magic as Street Fighter, Guilty Gear, or BlazBlue. Dead or Alive has very little magic, if any magic at all, and Dissidia is not a traditional fighting game.

Also, Team Ninja has stated that there will be no Dead or Alive characters in the new Dissidia.