PDA

View Full Version : EoFF Ranks Final Fantasy Round 2 - FFVI vs FFVIII

Dat Matt
01-29-2015, 10:00 PM
Round 2 - Final Fantasy VI vs Final Fantasy VIII

https://i.warosu.org/data/vr/img/0015/79/1398657640118.jpg

vs.

http://webguyunlimited.com/pixelperfectgaming/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Final_Fantasy_VIII_Steam_White_Logo.jpg

Pumpkin
01-29-2015, 10:09 PM
I know it's probably going to lose hard, but VIII

Ayen
01-29-2015, 10:12 PM
FFVI. I like VIII, but after playing VI through to the World of Ruin there just isn't a comparison here. Characters, music, villain, it just blows VIII out of the water.

Freya
01-29-2015, 10:28 PM
I was not a fan of VIII's draw system

chionos
01-29-2015, 10:36 PM
EoFF. Please, don't let me down. I'm begging. Please.

Egami
01-29-2015, 11:06 PM
"…VI… VI……VI…… VI, VI, VI! Kurse you VI. Swarming like lokust akross generations. You disgust me. The world was on the brink of that ever-elusive ‘time kompression’. Insolent fool! Your vain krusade ends here, VI!"

PS: I voted for SeeD...I mean...VI by the way.

Karifean
01-29-2015, 11:11 PM
VIII. These matchups really hurt.

The Man
01-29-2015, 11:15 PM
EoFF. Please, don't let me down. I'm begging. Please.

metagloria
01-29-2015, 11:26 PM
VIII, not close.

Slothy
01-29-2015, 11:34 PM
You're right. VIII isn't even close to VI's level of greatness.

Dat Matt
01-29-2015, 11:46 PM
These matchups really hurt.

When reviewing this before posting, I noticed there would be a few big eliminations early on. All the while Tactics Advance goes against Crystal Chronicles to get to the Semi Finals~

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo318/fluffybearlina/APB/Symbols/Small/KonataGiggleLuckyStarcopy.png

chionos
01-30-2015, 12:12 AM
I know it's early, and I know VI's got a bit of a lead, but it's still too close for my sensitive constitution. I'm tempted to make a bunch of new dummy accounts to play it safe. And suddenly I understand cheating. When it's something you really love...

Freya
01-30-2015, 02:25 AM
ARGH NO. SQUALL IS LAME WITH HIS ... ING (which by extension means lwl is lame :aimkiss:) You son of submariners.

Del Murder
01-30-2015, 02:27 AM
FFVI is the best game ever.

Ayen
01-30-2015, 02:31 AM
Holy crap, it's a tie!

chionos
01-30-2015, 02:36 AM
Oh there's some fucking trolls out tonight. How have you let EoFF come to this, BoB?

sharkythesharkdogg
01-30-2015, 02:45 AM
Whatever, I was happy to let VIII take the lead for a bit with my vote. I really enjoyed all the new things it tried to do, and I also think it was largely successful with them.

VI is a fine game, but it's not even in the top 5 Final Fantasies for me. The best parts about it are Edgar's tools, the soundtrack, Doomtrain suplexing, and the Esper story.

Ayen
01-30-2015, 02:48 AM
Oh there's some smurfing trolls out tonight. How have you let EoFF come to this, BoB?

The site is named after a FFVIII song. You really need to ask?

I Took the Red Pill
01-30-2015, 02:50 AM
Although I haven't finished either of these games, I gave FFVI about 15 hours and gave up out of sheer boredom. FFVIII was much more interesting and did a better job of holding my attention. Could be because I played VI well after it came out, but I did the same with FFIV and it's possibly my favorite in the series. Far from trolling. :moomba:

chionos
01-30-2015, 03:26 AM
Oh there's some smurfing trolls out tonight. How have you let EoFF come to this, BoB?

That's a coincidence. That was just the current FF when Cid started the site.

Sorry I called you a troll, Pill, and you too sharky. You're not trolls, you just have horrible taste. :P

Ayen
01-30-2015, 03:36 AM

That's a coincidence.

If this was the Matrix I'd make a big philosophical speech about how I don't believe in coincidences, but since this is real life I'm just going to do more J.R. commentary.

FFVI, is crawling, doing everything it can to get back in this thing!

Jessweeee♪
01-30-2015, 04:00 AM
FFVIII is one of my all time favorites c:

chionos
01-30-2015, 04:03 AM
Matt, end the poll. Do it now, and I'll give you a skajillion dolloars! Hurry, while FFVI is ahead!

Ayen
01-30-2015, 04:06 AM
RING THE SMURFING BELL!

DING! DING! DING! DING!

SCREWJOB!

FFVIII punches Dat Matt in the back

Cleric
01-30-2015, 04:25 AM
VI by a long shot. I love VIII but most of the characters annoy me, although Quistis is one of my all time favorites. Unfortunately for VIII, VI is superior in pretty much every aspect.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
01-30-2015, 04:37 AM
ARGH NO. SQUALL IS LAME WITH HIS ... ING (which by extension means lwl is lame :aimkiss:)

Whatever.

Ayen
01-30-2015, 04:47 AM
They tie again--! No! VI with another one point lead! We lost FFI, we lost FFII, and we lost FFIV, you can damn well bet FFVI isn't going down without a fight!

Sephex
01-30-2015, 04:48 AM
I voted! :)

Lone Wolf Leonhart
01-30-2015, 05:20 AM
Changing back to the classic sig for all the haters.

chionos
01-30-2015, 05:23 AM
Changing back to the classic sig for all the haters.

Sorry man. No hate toward FFVIII intended. It's a good game. It's just not FFVI.

Squall is a dweeb, though.

Ayen
01-30-2015, 05:33 AM
I think I'm one of the few who would be happy regardless of who won. I'd say VI would probably have a better chance of beating the likes of VII or IX than VIII would, but Crystal Chronicles is still in this thing. All bets are off.

VeloZer0
01-30-2015, 06:12 AM
This is significantly closer than I would have expected.

Bubba
01-30-2015, 08:41 AM
This is significantly closer than I would have expected.

Agreed. Although I do know there are a lot of active FFVIII lovers here. As it came out a bit later as well, it was a lot of member's first Final Fantasy.

Forsaken Lover
01-30-2015, 09:11 AM
Obviously FFVIII is the superior everything and I should vote for it.

Totally not doing it just to spite FFVI fanboys, no sir.

Psychotic
01-30-2015, 09:42 AM
VI is the better game I think.

A lot of our polls here have been really close actually, it's pretty refreshing and makes for an entertaining spectator sport.

Ayen
01-30-2015, 10:21 AM
Could you imagine if VI went up against IX? It'd be ridiculous.

I kind of want to see that now.

Shauna
01-30-2015, 11:19 AM
A lot of our polls here have been really close actually, it's pretty refreshing and makes for an entertaining spectator sport.

Yeah, definitely. A lot of people said that there would be a lot of steam-rolling in this competition, but I am pleasantly surprised to see that there's actually not been that much. Makes for a more interesting event.

sharkythesharkdogg
01-30-2015, 01:32 PM

That's a coincidence. That was just the current FF when Cid started the site.

Sorry I called you a troll, Pill, and you too sharky. You're not trolls, you just have horrible taste. :P

Dude, I didn't even think twice. I have a tough skin, and enjoy friendly snarky banter.

Also, shut your damn mouth. 8 owns! :cool:

Pike
01-30-2015, 01:35 PM
I, also, am not remotely surprised to see so many close polls. I think the people who are surprised haven't seen our "What is your favorite FF on [x console]" polls, where we would end up with stuff like three-way ties between IV, V, and VI. After dozens of votes, too.

Shiva95
01-30-2015, 01:36 PM
FFVI. For me, it's the best Final Fantasy game.

Egami
01-30-2015, 01:44 PM
...and VI takes the lead!

siuWZxDMGnk

chionos
01-30-2015, 06:46 PM
So based on some comments some people have made in here and in other places around the forums, I think the fact that these polls are often closer than they should be is a result of some people just being assholes to try to upset nerds. Which is annoying, but fine, because it is fun to watch these come down to the last second.

sharky, you better watch your tone with me, boy. Or I'll show you where you can put that gunblade of yours.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-30-2015, 07:05 PM
Which one I voted for is probably fairly obvious.

fvhuIY8HcgE

Del Murder
01-30-2015, 08:31 PM
So based on some comments some people have made in here and in other places around the forums, I think the fact that these polls are often closer than they should be is a result of some people just being assholes to try to upset nerds. Which is annoying, but fine, because it is fun to watch these come down to the last second.

sharky, you better watch your tone with me, boy. Or I'll show you where you can put that gunblade of yours.
While there are trolls out there and maybe EoFF has more per capita than the rest of the world, I think this is more related to a sort of balancing bias that exists over time. FFVIII (along with FFII, X-2, etc.) have been widely criticized for many years by a number of passionate fans. While that may snowball during the initial release and review of these games (resulting in even more negativity), I think that effect gradually reverses over time as the negativity cools down and with the human desire to be independent from popular opinion or at least ensure the scales of opinion are 'fair and balanced' (whether consciously or not). The same happens for games that are fairly universally loved like FFVI and FFVII but in the opposite direction. Their overwhelming popularity causes people to rethink their own opinion of it and try to find the flaws in an effort to not fall into a groupthink mentality. This is the reason I think BoB continues to praise FFXIII. I don't think he actually loves the game that much, but he feels the need to overcompensate his love for it to balance out the overwhelming negativity. If we were to make this poll in another 10 years, I bet FFXIII would give any of the popular FFs a fairly close match. It's all cyclical.

Or, you know, some people just like those games better.

Galuf
01-30-2015, 08:32 PM
i shall junction myself unto FF VI

chionos
01-30-2015, 08:40 PM

While there are trolls out there and maybe EoFF has more per capita than the rest of the world, I think this is more related to a sort of balancing bias that exists over time. FFVIII (along with FFII, X-2, etc.) have been widely criticized for many years by a number of passionate fans. While that may snowball during the initial release and review of these games (resulting in even more negativity), I think that effect gradually reverses over time as the negativity cools down and with the human desire to be independent from popular opinion or at least ensure the scales of opinion are 'fair and balanced' (whether consciously or not). The same happens for games that are fairly universally loved like FFVI and FFVII but in the opposite direction. Their overwhelming popularity causes people to rethink their own opinion of it and try to find the flaws in an effort to not fall into a groupthink mentality. This is the reason I think BoB continues to praise FFXIII. I don't think he actually loves the game that much, but he feels the need to overcompensate his love for it to balance out the overwhelming negativity. If we were to make this poll in another 10 years, I bet FFXIII would give any of the popular FFs a fairly close match. It's all cyclical.

Well, you can ride your bicycle on out of here with your rational thoughts and logic.

Honestly, I'm sure that plays in, and I wasn't trying to imply that EoFF is full of trolls. It doesn't take many to skew a poll. I mean, I'm sure there are plenty of people who genuinely like these games that are getting votes (that shouldn't).

Love for FFVI isn't groupthink. It's just good taste.

sharkythesharkdogg
01-30-2015, 08:51 PM

You keep running your mouth and I'll make your face a world of ruin.

This is me. I genuinely really liked 7, 8, and 10-2 on my first playthrough, and that opinion never changed. For the ones that don't seem to get hate as much, I also really liked 9. I think 5 is a gem.

I think 6 is solid, but just doesn't stand out for me. Same thing with 12. It's almost really good, but just not quite.

Pike
01-30-2015, 08:58 PM

I dunno man. I like FFVI, I think it's quite good, but it's not in my top three FF list. Probably not even in my top five.

Does this mean I have poor taste? :p

I don't think there's a whole lot of vote gaming going on here. Maybe a little bit, but I honestly think EoFF just has a varied taste in FF. Which is great.

Trying to analyze why people feel the way they feel about certain games, or why they like some games over others, is silly to me. Some people just like different games! I'm not going to sit here and try to explain to someone why FFII was more fun for me to play than FFVI was. I can't explain it, because I can't explain fun. Is it because I'm subconsciously trying to be hip and different? Maybe. I doubt it. I've never thought about it. I don't care about the whys.

wizzyboo
01-30-2015, 09:06 PM
i voted viii all because of ward !!!:lol:

sharkythesharkdogg
01-30-2015, 09:09 PM
I liked the new person already.

Sephex
01-30-2015, 09:35 PM
Some of ya'll take this way too seriously.

escobert
01-30-2015, 09:35 PM
VIII! VI is fucking boring.

Egami
01-30-2015, 09:36 PM
I dunno man. I like FFVI, I think it's quite good, but it's not in my top three FF list. Probably not even in my top five.

Heh, this reminds me...I should work out a list of my own FF rankings to see which goes where specially now that I've been replaying so many of them. I am mostly at a lost when it comes to it :erm:

Pumpkin
01-30-2015, 09:38 PM
Looks like VIII is probably going to lose, but it put up a good fight

http://media.giphy.com/media/v6iIoHZeYUtHy/giphy.gif

Don't worry VIII, I still love you!

Shauna
01-30-2015, 09:42 PM
woah TIE BREAKER SITUATION

Shauna
01-30-2015, 09:42 PM
woah TIE BREAKER SITUATION :eek:

Pumpkin
01-30-2015, 09:44 PM
Shauna is so shocked, she posted twice!

Galuf
01-30-2015, 09:48 PM
i blame wizzzyboo.

sharkythesharkdogg
01-30-2015, 09:52 PM
Wooooow, I have to say I'm surprised. There's a lot of well deserved VI love on this forum, I thought it would walk away with the votes. I'm happy 8 has put up such a good showing. I'm already pretty pleased to see it get this much love. If it does go to tie breaker, I'd imagine 6 received more nominations, but I've already been surprised once.

Freya
01-30-2015, 09:55 PM
oh SNAP!

Carl the Llama
01-30-2015, 10:00 PM
Quick!!! someone vote!!!!

Dat Matt
01-30-2015, 10:02 PM
HOLY MACARONNI! A TIE!

http://tiwibzone.tiwib.netdna-cdn.com/images/retro-video-game-ties.jpg

Carl the Llama
01-30-2015, 10:03 PM
What happens now?

Bcqb7kzekoc

Pumpkin
01-30-2015, 10:04 PM
Both games implode, rendering every copy in the world broken and unplayable

Dat Matt
01-30-2015, 10:12 PM
What happens now?

Bcqb7kzekoc

In a tie breaker situation it goes down to the number of nominations each game received via PM.

There is a winner, BY A SINGLE NOMINATION!

- 14 Nominations

- 13 Nominations! Meaning that FFVIII is eliminated and FFVI goes through to the semi finals. Too bad this round ended in a draw. FFVIII seems to suck when it comes to drawing~

Pumpkin
01-30-2015, 10:12 PM
Awwwwwwwwwwwww so close

Galuf
01-30-2015, 10:18 PM
YAY Kefka wins!.

Egami
01-30-2015, 10:25 PM
Wow...that was really close.

Freya
01-30-2015, 10:27 PM
Wow that was super close!

Forsaken Lover
01-30-2015, 10:43 PM
I think the FFVIII fans had to call in every last favor they had with the Forces of Darkness that spawned their cursed game in order to try and pull out this victory.

But in the end, Justice prevailed.

Forsaken Lover
01-30-2015, 11:00 PM
so wait, just hold on a goddam second.'

I miss the FFIV Poll, and what's more it wasn't even close.

Yet FFVIII came damned close to actually winning against VI?

This forum will never appreciate the fact FFIV is what laid the groundwork for all of these. VI, VII, VIII, they all owe everything to Cecil and his merry band.

Ingrates, the lot of you.

Del Murder
01-30-2015, 11:05 PM

Does this mean I have poor taste? :p
Yes.

Galuf
01-30-2015, 11:11 PM

This forum will never appreciate the fact FFIV is what laid the groundwork for all of these. VI, VII, VIII, they all owe everything to Cecil and his merry band.

AYE! im with ye!. but only as far as FF VI V and IX

Karifean
01-30-2015, 11:16 PM

It laid the groundwork and the other games improved upon it. That's how it works, doesn't it? ;)

I can't say I disapprove of the outcome of this poll. VI is a pretty good game.

Pumpkin
01-30-2015, 11:18 PM
It tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it didn't even matter

Dat Matt
01-30-2015, 11:20 PM
"It laid the groundwork for all these games, and all of them are terrible compared to this older game. RESPECT YOUR ELDERS!!" is what i'm hearing.

PS, probably the best moment ever to post this

http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/halolz-dot-com-finalfantasy7-oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg

Shauna
01-30-2015, 11:23 PM
The fact that FF8 got so many nominations is pretty much proof that people weren't voting it here to troll.

Del Murder
01-30-2015, 11:26 PM
Not unless they're playing the long game, which as a troll I completely respect.

Shauna
01-30-2015, 11:33 PM
Who has time for that though?

...Trolls, I guess.

Loony BoB
01-30-2015, 11:44 PM
Oh for crying out loud I missed this one and would have voted VIII. DAMN YOU ILLNESS ;_;

Shauna
01-30-2015, 11:46 PM
A single vote, man. A SINGLE VOTE.

Loony BoB
01-30-2015, 11:51 PM
I knoooooooooooow. Imagine the old school fanboy rage that would have ensued! It would have been so good.

The Man
01-30-2015, 11:58 PM
Personally, I think the lonny bob rage exhibited here is much more enjoyable, but what do I know :monster:

Ayen
01-31-2015, 12:06 AM
This was like the Rocky/Apollo match of Final Fantasy. FFVIII didn't win, but it proved it could go the distance.

There ain't gonna be no rematch.

Loony BoB
01-31-2015, 12:45 AM
Well, until we do this all again in a year or so :D

Ayen
01-31-2015, 12:49 AM
Well, until we do this all again in a year or so :D

Goddammit, Rocky 2.

Bolivar
01-31-2015, 02:17 AM
I can't believe they tied!

Madame Adequate
01-31-2015, 04:00 AM
I agree with Pike that EoFF actually has a very broad spread of opinions regarding FF games. You can point to pretty much any main FF and most of the side games and you'll find diehard fans. I think maybe III is the only one that doesn't have people saying it's their favorite? But I'm not confident in such a declaration.

Pumpkin
01-31-2015, 04:04 AM
I can think of one member who says III is their favourite but I dunno more than that

Formalhaut
01-31-2015, 04:05 AM
Gosh it's just so close. I didn't know FFVIII was so popular.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-31-2015, 07:51 AM
Question. Which bear is best?

Also, in the event that there is a tie in votes and then a tie in nominations (like almost happened here), what do?

chionos
01-31-2015, 08:55 AM
As much as I nerdrant about FFVI, I'm glad FFVIII made such a good showing and this came down to a tiebreaker. Wouldn't even have minded if 8 won. All in good fun.

Except when it comes to you, sharkythesuckdog. I told you to keep your dirty mouth closed or I'd show you where to put that gunblade of yours, and by golly jimbo, lemme tell you what, I'm a man of my word
http://assets.academy.com/mgen/81/10077481.jpg?is=500,500

/cheese

So far this tourney has had a lot of close calls and has been quite fun. Personally, I'm glad there's a wide array of tastes and full spectrum of favorites and whatnot. Other than FFXIII. People who love FFXIII are on my list.

Dat Matt
01-31-2015, 10:17 AM
Question. Which bear is best?

Also, in the even that there is a tie in votes and then a tie in nominations (like almost happened here), what do?

If possible, I'd gave the poll extended for another day.

Ayen
01-31-2015, 10:54 PM
Gosh it's just so close. I didn't know FFVIII was so popular.

I had a similar reaction when I saw how many people hated the game when I first joined.