PDA

View Full Version : Which FF has your favorite last dungeon?

Egami
02-02-2015, 06:46 PM
Out of the main series and their respective sequels, which had your favorite last dungeon and why (if you feel like elaborating)? Please vote and comment :)

Scotty_ffgamer
02-02-2015, 08:18 PM
Ultimecia's Castle is the only one that I can really vividly picture. This is probably because it was the one I've played the most, but I do really think it's the best out of the ones I've played. I love the castle design. The music is nice and fitting. The battles are fun. The puzzles are pretty enjoyable. I didn't as a kid, but I do now like the concept of unlocking your commands in there. It made it so you can control the pacing a bit if you want and skip some of the boss battles once you've got the specific commands you want unlocked. Everything leads to an actually pretty intense and fun final battle.

Usually, dungeons don't really stick out much to me, but this one just always has.

Egami
02-02-2015, 08:32 PM
Yes, I think Ultimecia's Castle is definitely one of the best in the series too. The music, the atmosphere, the puzzles and how you must defeat several monsters to win back your abilities was rather well done.

The Man
02-02-2015, 08:39 PM
Gotta go with the Cleft of Dimension. Kefka's Tower is a close second, probably followed by Memoria.

sharkythesharkdogg
02-02-2015, 10:08 PM
I did enjoy Cleft of Dimension, but I chose Ultimecia's Castle. :monster:

VeloZer0
02-02-2015, 10:27 PM
Cleft of Dimension was by far my favorite final dungeon by design. Memoria is more or less just a copy of the same concept, but not quite as cool.

As for actually playing I would go with Northern Crater. Nothing special design or conceptually, I just enjoyed it the most. Which is probably related to me enjoying playing FF7 the most.

Hollycat
02-02-2015, 10:34 PM
I don't think many liked them, but I loved the tower and the ruined city in ff xii.

chionos
02-02-2015, 10:40 PM
Kefka's Tower. I love how dirty and rough everything is. And no, that's not supposed to sound naughty. I like VI's visceral smudgy feel, and the tower exemplified that.

Karifean
02-02-2015, 10:54 PM
Ultimecia's Castle, definitely.

Carl the Llama
02-03-2015, 12:37 AM
Although VII is my favourite game, VIII takes the cake for best final dungeon, its so engaging, challenging you to unlock all of its secrets, its where the games toughest boss is (OMEGA) and the puzzles are just excellent.

Loony BoB
02-03-2015, 12:04 PM
Agree with the majority, Ultimecia's Castle was pretty cool.

Sephiroth
02-03-2015, 12:45 PM
I can't really say Ridorana is the last dungeon because Bahamut is. The length should not really count here because Lightning Returns does also not have a very long final dungeon and the Farplane's core is also just two screens of tasks before you have reached the platforms to Vegnagun.

Also I am missing at least Banora and Above Midgar/Inside Omega in the poll.

My choice would be either the Rift, Above Midgar or Orphan's Cradle. Memoria is also not bad but I don't know.

The Northern Cave would be cooler in my opinion if there were more of the style the last section shows Inside the Planet.

metagloria
02-03-2015, 01:18 PM
Above Midgar/Inside Omega
Oooh, this is a good one.

Shiva95
02-03-2015, 01:51 PM
I think it's Kefka's Tower. I really like its vibes.

Egami
02-03-2015, 02:17 PM
I can't really say Ridorana is the last dungeon because Bahamut is. The length should not really count here because Lightning Returns does also not have a very long final dungeon and the Farplane's core is also just two screens of tasks before you have reached the platforms to Vegnagun.

Well, Bahamut basically boils down to a string of boss battles and cutscenes. You do a bit of walking/fighting in it but it is so minimal and inconsequential that it hardly counts as an actual dungeon. The Farplane has several sections before the core as well and it includes puzzles, platforming sections and boss battles. With Lighting Returns you could probably include the previous section on the Cathedral before you reach God's Sanctum since it is all tied together as an endgame area.

Pumpkin
02-03-2015, 02:43 PM
Ultimecia's Castle

Skyblade
02-03-2015, 03:22 PM
Going to have to go with Ultimecia's Castle as well. The design of this entire place was just incredible.

I can't really think of any point to criticize it. The place is massive, but FFVIII lets you explore freely with Enc-None. The visuals are fantastic. Overall design and layout is quite excellent. The puzzles range from kind of derpy to rather deep, and they're all fun. The mechanics of having to unlock your abilities is a brilliant twist, and it is made even more awesome by the gaming making all the fights optional. If you don't want to unlock everything, you don't have to. You can just unlock what you want and go. But if you want to explore this dungeon to its fullest, then you can spend a lot of time facing off the myriad bosses.

Brilliant final dungeon design.

VeloZer0
02-03-2015, 11:24 PM
You guys are making me regret throwing FF8 down in disgust after it locked me out of all the cities on disk 4.

Galuf
02-03-2015, 11:33 PM
i like ultimecia castle and Cleft of dimension. however i choose cleft of dimension because its cool

Bolivar
02-04-2015, 01:23 AM
I give it to VI based on a game design perspective. The game really rocked the multi-party puzzles, with this being the shining example. Overall, I'm inclined to say FFVI had the best collections of dungeons in the series and Kefka's tower was the crown jewel.

maybee
02-04-2015, 10:17 AM
Ultimecia's Castle.

Excellent Gothic, vampire like music and ancient and haunting castle.

Loony BoB
02-04-2015, 11:51 AM
You guys are making me regret throwing FF8 down in disgust after it locked me out of all the cities on disk 4.
I still find that really annoying but view that as a separate thing. It's also perhaps the easiest final dungeon, which might explain why it's so fun.

Forsaken Lover
02-04-2015, 02:05 PM
The Pharos was the best, no doubt.

Ultimecia's Castle is overrated. It's a whole lot of nothing and utterly meaningless.

Much like FFVIII itself, all flash and no substance.

Egami
02-04-2015, 02:46 PM
The Pharos was the best, no doubt.

I believe that's what I'll end with up as I remember having a blast doing that dungeon in my first two playthroughs; but as I am in the process of replaying XII (after about 6 years) I am waiting until I get through it to vote/comment on my favorite.

Egami
02-18-2015, 01:51 AM
Ultimecia's Castle seems to be the favorite :)

My one disappointment with it was Ultimecia herself, not the boss battle which I think is good but rather her personality and the way she talks. The vibe you get from the castle is that of the abode of a very fluent, classy and sophisticated woman. Edea fit that image to a T and even the way Ultimecia carries herself through Edea reflects and evokes that. But for some reason that goes out of the window when you finally meet her at her throne and she has this "brutish" manner of speaking (bad translation, perhaps?) that she seems a bit out of place there (yet during her last moments when she begins talking during her last form she speaks as you would expect her to). It took away a bit from the great atmosphere the castle had.

Randy
02-27-2015, 10:06 AM
I notice FF8 won. I can't even remember Ultimecia's Castle. I remember running up a giant chain to get there, I remember the music. And I remember fighting Tiamat. That's about it.
The Memoria from FF9 sticks out a lot more.

Christmas
04-19-2022, 05:21 AM
Kefka tower. I like Ultimecia's Castle but it is kinda a point of no return and I dun really like that. :(