PDA

View Full Version : The epic showdown: which is more annoying?

metagloria
02-04-2015, 01:27 PM
Two of the series's most ridiculed moments, head to head. Try not to let this lapse into a debate about the actual games; we're only talking about these specific instances.

Forsaken Lover
02-04-2015, 01:42 PM
Why are you listening to ondore's lies? The FFXII example is not only one of the best moments in the game, but the whole series.

Carl the Llama
02-04-2015, 02:05 PM
I love both those parts :(

Sephiroth
02-04-2015, 02:07 PM
I don't think one of them is annoying but I like how people don't get it is "von" and not "fon". "von" is a German word. Atelier games have even more of such mistranslations.

Egami
02-04-2015, 02:14 PM
I like both :)

Loony BoB
02-04-2015, 04:20 PM
I don't think one of them is annoying but I like how people don't get it is "von" and not "fon". "von" is a German word. Atelier games have even more of such mistranslations.
...what? It's 'fon'. Everywhere in the game, it is 'fon'. It's Ivalice, not Earth. Once a name is in the game, it's canon.

Sephiroth
02-04-2015, 04:53 PM
Once a name is in the game, it's canon.

Please not this again, Bob.

That is not how canonicity works and you know it. The time where fans ignore law and logic just to defend their fan opinion should be over. Canonicity can only be defined by the owner of a franchise. Then and only then it is something that counts. That is what is canon and nothing else. And no, mistranslations do not make errors right/canon. They have intended a normal "von" title, like "von" and "van" is totally common. As a matter of fact I have even said it is a mistranslation so I have already covered the part that it is wrong in the game itself. Just like Aerith, just like Lenna, just like Fourth, just like Otyugh which is the actual name of the mistranlstaed Ochuu, or Grow Plantze instead of "Grow-Pflanze" in Atelier or Spare Bolen instead of "Speer bohren" or whatever else exists even though that's not it. Deliberate change != mistranslation/translation based on a misunderstanding. And Ronsenburg is as German as this name can get. Von Ronsenburg. The German version also uses the correct word and the original name was only supposed to have one of those meanings so which one is it, you think? The real one fitting for the German sounding name or not? It is also very common that names of real life origins are used in Japanese video games. In Japanese the "v" in "von" uses the same katakana that is used for an "f" because of its pronounciation. It was a mistake as this word with its meaning was definitely meant.

Basch von Ronsenburg
Mimi Houllier von Schwarzlang
Sterkenburg Cranach
Der Richter as Japanese name for Penance
A great variety of Japanese Final Fantasy names with origins from another country. Final Fantasy XIII for example has many monsters called "Krieger", "Falke" and such.

There will always be the difference between a deliberate change that also has the right of canonicity or the change through a mistake because people just thought they have covered the actual thing.

Ayen
02-04-2015, 05:22 PM
Neither scene annoyed me, though the laugh scene did cause more of a WTF reaction so I'll go with that.

Loony BoB
02-04-2015, 05:22 PM
Of course, then all the cards and every other reference of Basch also used 'fon'. It's canon now, buddy! Never once heard SE say "Ah, sorry, that should be 'von'".

Freya
02-04-2015, 05:36 PM
BoB is right. It was how it was officially added by SE making it canon.

Shauna
02-04-2015, 05:50 PM
Canonicity can only be defined by the owner of a franchise.

Eh. What people consider canon is highly subjective, and nobody is right or wrong in these matters.

To use an example from elsewhere: Harry Potter. It is a story spanning 7 books, and a multitude of other little snippets of information from JK Rowling herself. Many people only consider what is written in the pages of the core seven books canon. The other stuff Rowling has come out with? Non-canon. To them, Dumbledore is not confirmed gay, because there is nothing backing it up in the original texts. Other fans though, consider everything in the books plus everything else Rowling has come out with as canon. Who is right in this situation? Both of them.

So in this case, the English Final Fantasy XII translation says it is "fon". To many, that is canon. It was a typo? Well, that's what they released in the game, so... it's canon. And it is completely fine for people to disregard everything outside of the core game as non-canon.

That is not to say you are wrong in what you're saying - it just means that you have a different definition of what the "canon" of the games are.

escobert
02-04-2015, 09:21 PM
I have no idea what either of those things are from....

Forsaken Lover
02-05-2015, 04:36 PM
I have a lot of doubts it is supposed to be "von."

Skyblade
02-05-2015, 06:41 PM
Definitely the "I'm Captain Basch!" scene.

Several reasons.

The laughing scene, while painful, makes sense in terms of characterization and development.

The "Captain Basch" scene makes no sense whatsoever within the main story. You're attempting to contact the underground group fighting against an oppressive government, and you do this by having someone less than half Basch's age claim to be him randomly on the street. You have a group who apparently has successfully evaded the government for so long pulled out of hiding by something so stupid and obviously incorrect. They actually fall for it.

The laughing scene is much shorter than the Captain Basch scene, which goes on for quite some time.

Rez09
02-05-2015, 08:49 PM
Wait, people thought the Basche thing was annoying? I thought it was one of the highlights of the game. :confused:

Scotty_ffgamer
02-06-2015, 02:05 AM
If one were to annoy me, it would be the Basch scene just because it's longer and has the chance to outstay it's welcome. I love it though, both because it amuses me in game and because I got a Mega64 video out of it. Anyone who is annoyed by this scene has clearly been listening a bit too much to Ondore's lies.

Did you know that 9/10 people believe Ondore's lies? Don't be one of them.

(I just hope we can at least all agree in the canonicity of the fact that this guy are sick).

Skyblade
02-06-2015, 02:46 AM
Wait, people thought the Basche thing was annoying? I thought it was one of the highlights of the game. :confused:

It was.

Which just goes to show how boring XII was.

sharkythesharkdogg
02-08-2015, 01:27 PM
Captain Basch wins becaue of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSyfGm6wXgs

Bolivar
02-08-2015, 06:21 PM
Definitely the "I'm Captain Basch!" scene.

Several reasons.

The laughing scene, while painful, makes sense in terms of characterization and development.

The "Captain Basch" scene makes no sense whatsoever within the main story. You're attempting to contact the underground group fighting against an oppressive government, and you do this by having someone less than half Basch's age claim to be him randomly on the street. You have a group who apparently has successfully evaded the government for so long pulled out of hiding by something so stupid and obviously incorrect. They actually fall for it.

The laughing scene is much shorter than the Captain Basch scene, which goes on for quite some time.

Scotty_ffgamer
02-09-2015, 02:39 AM
After going through the Captain Basch scene again a few days ago, I can say that (at least when you know what you are doing) it's not much longer than the laughing scene if at all. Just talk to a couple of the guy's carrying the notebooks, and you're good to go. I felt like I was an idiot about it when I first played it and it took me forever.

Jessweeee♪
02-09-2015, 03:25 AM
I love the I'm Captain Basch scene and the laughing scene is ok. My favorite thing about both scenes is the reaction from the rest of the party. In the laughing scene Tidus and Yuna are purposefully doing a really stupid sounding laugh to cheer themselves up and the party is just like, "wtf is that noise they are making why are they doing this." When Vaan goes around shouting Balthier is just kind of like "well uh, ok yeah sure I guess that works too."

This scene is also another favorite of mine:

ejqe-7Lhmt8