PDA

View Full Version : Better Call Saul

Agent Proto
02-10-2015, 02:02 AM
Has anyone seen the first episode already? The spinoff prequel to AMC's Breaking Bad that takes place in the early 2000's and focuses mainly on Saul Goodman before he was known as Saul Goodman: the "Criminal" Defense Attorney. The first episode supposedly had the highest rating for an opener of a new show on cable.

Anyway, let's use this thread to discuss and talk Better Call Saul.

https://36.media.tumblr.com/3ee852660f648108c072157734dc6e52/tumblr_njiy6hCB1x1rxme2wo1_500.jpg

Del Murder
02-10-2015, 05:46 AM
It was great. Pretty much a perfect copy of the BB atmosphere but with a little more humor.

Shlup
02-10-2015, 08:18 AM
It was great. Pretty much a perfect copy of the BB atmosphere but with a little more humor.

Sold! Downloading it now.

Psychotic
02-10-2015, 08:29 AM
I enjoyed it but it didn't blow my mind or anything. The start of the episode blagged me because I thought it was I don't want to set the world on fire from Fallout 3, but I guess the Ink Spots used the same guitar strum as the intro for all their songs.

Shauna
02-10-2015, 11:20 AM
The start of the episode blagged me because I thought it was I don't want to set the world on fire from Fallout 3, but I guess the Ink Spots used the same guitar strum as the intro for all their songs.

I've not watched this, but I just wanted to say that they entirely do. My flatmate had an Ink Spots album, and was playing it one day. So every single song I was like "Is that?!" but it never was. :(

Agent Proto
02-10-2015, 04:01 PM

I completely agree with this statement and also want to add that I was pleasantly surprised to see Tuco to show up at the end.

Shoeberto
02-10-2015, 04:09 PM
The ending of the first episode caught me off guard, but I'm a little wary that they'll go as bleak as Breaking Bad was. Tbh, by the end of BB, it was all a little too much for me. I really liked the dark humor that was in 90% of this first episode, so I guess I'm hopeful a lot of the storytelling is based around that tone.

We DVR'd the second episode and will probably watch it soon, so we'll see how that goes.

Del Murder
02-10-2015, 06:38 PM
My feeling is that they wanted to have some suspense and action in the premiere and that the series will be much lighter than BB. At least I hope that's the case. The end of the first episode caught me off guard too but I liked it.

noxious.sunshine
02-10-2015, 07:00 PM
We just watched the first 2 episodes.

I'm really digging it so far.

Shiny
02-10-2015, 10:31 PM
This entire show is a huge nope, but it will be interesting to see more flash forwards rather than the flash backs. I want to know what has happened to other chatacters after Heisenberg's reign.

Crop
02-11-2015, 06:43 PM
I've loved the first two episodes. They far exceeded my expectations, and I had pretty high ones, even if I was worried that the Saul character couldn't carry a show on his own. Of course all worries of mine have been thrown out of the window, since I think he's fantastic. Great supporting cast too.

I particually liked the line in the first episode when Chuck said to Jimmy "Wouldn't you rather build your own identity? Why ride on someone else's coattales" which I thought was a nice comment on what 'Better Call Saul' is and could potentially be, it gave me a smile anyway.

I think that's why (unlike many people) I was a little disappointed with the reveal of Tuco at the end...but again episode 2 put my fears to rest, with the desert scene being my favourite of the two episodes so far. It also looks like Tuco won't really be a major character, which I'm fine with.

Can't wait for episode three!

Agent Proto
03-08-2015, 08:33 PM
The latest episode was pretty great. Best moment, when Jimmy met with the inventor to see his talking "sex toilet". :D

https://41.media.tumblr.com/389f102a5e2ea943b6a12d32ad43ef27/tumblr_nkvfu55Icc1qzpxx1o1_540.jpg

Calliope
03-11-2015, 07:10 PM
I am enjoying The Adventures of Space Blanket.

blackmage_nuke
03-12-2015, 02:07 PM

And with no family breakfast scenes

Psychotic
03-12-2015, 07:55 PM
That last episode with Mike was fucking outstanding.

Crop
03-14-2015, 02:36 PM
That episode was phenomenal. That scene at the end between Mike and his sons wife was so damn good.

I don't think this show will ever reach the lofty heights of Breaking Bad, but comparing both first seasons, I think Saul has it hands down so far.

McLovin'
03-16-2015, 11:07 PM
That shot of Mike pulling the gun out on the two dirty cops...was great. Felt very anime like idk

Calliope
03-21-2015, 04:56 AM
This week's episode was truly crushing. Oh Jimmy, how I know that feeling.

Shoeberto
03-23-2015, 04:23 PM
After Mike's flashback episode, this show is quickly entering Mad Men-level quality in my book. Which is high praise. My wife hated Breaking Bad, but immediately as the credits rolled on that ep, she looked at me and said it was probably the best episode of television she's ever seen.

I'm sad the first season is almost over, but it has been a strong initial outing. I'm so happy about how well the premise is being capitalized upon. I liked it a lot better than Breaking Bad already.

I Took the Red Pill
03-24-2015, 02:37 PM
The most recent episode was really really great, possibly my favorite so far. Especially compared to the previous one, which was imo the worst episode of the bunch. Charles McGill is a great character, and the relationship he has with Jimmy makes for some great on-screen chemistry.

I get a bit nervous for what's to come, though. Jimmy McGill is still a pretty far cry from what Saul Goodman was in Breaking Bad. It will be interesting/nerve-wracking to see the events that lead up to the whole "You don't need a criminal lawyer, you need a criminal lawyer" schtick.

Psychotic
03-31-2015, 06:41 PM
I get a bit nervous for what's to come, though. Jimmy McGill is still a pretty far cry from what Saul Goodman was in Breaking Bad. It will be interesting/nerve-wracking to see the events that lead up to the whole "You don't need a criminal lawyer, you need a criminal lawyer" schtick.Well, that right there was a pretty big shove into that direction.

I Took the Red Pill
04-01-2015, 04:10 PM
Yeah that'll pretty much do it. Seems like Jimmy's downward spiral will converge with Mike's re-entry into the criminal game. One more episode left in the season. Jimmy takes Hamlin's money and begins to build the practice we know from Breaking Bad? Will they end it with the birth of the Saul Goodman moniker? Seems like it'd be a good way to end S1.

Shoeberto
04-01-2015, 04:41 PM
Yeah that'll pretty much do it. Seems like Jimmy's downward spiral will converge with Mike's re-entry into the criminal game. One more episode left in the season. Jimmy takes Hamlin's money and begins to build the practice we know from Breaking Bad? Will they end it with the birth of the Saul Goodman moniker? Seems like it'd be a good way to end S1.
I feel like it has to be.

Chuck's tirade in the most recent ep, and Jimmy's response, sent chills down my spine precisely because I felt like I witnessed the death of Jimmy McGill and the birth of Saul Goodman. After a season of Jimmy trying so hard to actually do the right thing (and mostly... kinda mostly... staying clean), to have him be so utterly destroyed just totally made his backstory click for me. I expected more of a slow descent, but I feel like his criminal lawyer antics are going to start heating up pretty quickly.

Fantastic episode. This has been a hell of a first season.

Psychotic
04-01-2015, 05:29 PM
Absolutely. I cannot praise the writing for this show enough. It makes me feel more than Breaking Bad. Not to say it's better than Breaking Bad, but there weren't any emotional gut punches in Breaking Bad to match the Mike episode and that last section with Chuck and Jimmy.

Shoeberto
04-01-2015, 10:13 PM
Absolutely. I cannot praise the writing for this show enough. It makes me feel more than Breaking Bad. Not to say it's better than Breaking Bad, but there weren't any emotional gut punches in Breaking Bad to match the Mike episode and that last section with Chuck and Jimmy.
Dunno if you've watched Mad Men (and if not, I can't recommend it highly enough), but the way the story and characters are presented make me think more of that universe than Breaking Bad. BB was definitely a crime show, inside and out - the further it went along, the more I associated it with the Godfather films than an interpersonal drama. Personally, I like the former more. Breaking Bad was a great crime show, but I think Better Call Saul (like Mad Men) is a lot more about humans.

Crop
04-02-2015, 07:50 PM
Oh my god this show is so good. I haven't felt like this about a show since..well, Breaking Bad. And even that took a couple of seasons to get to this stage.

That scene at the end hit me hard, almost like I was Jimmy. I think we'll definitely see Saul by the end of this season.

Del Murder
04-04-2015, 04:44 PM
BB was notorious for it's slow pacing so I wouldn't be surprised if they keep the Saul name under wraps for at least another season. This is definitely the best new show of this season.

deepdoop
04-05-2015, 09:26 PM

I actually think, and am probably alone in the universe, that it is better than Breaking Bad. The first time I tried watching it I stopped after a few episodes because while I thought cooking meth in an RV was fun, it never grabbed me. Then I came back to it later on to finish it and after about three seasons I kept asking people when "the best show ever" was about to begin. I kept getting told the fourth and fifth season. I agree those are the best of the bunch but it took that many seasons to get to that point. It isn't a case of hype because I can separate myself from hype pretty well most of the time, but something was missing for me. I wasn't real excited for Better Call Saul either because even though I liked him, I didn't need a spin-off.

Yet I love BCS. I don't know if it's simply a matter of being familiar with the characters already, but I've been hooked since about the second episode. They're two completely different shows but I agree with whoever said that it's a more emotional show. The latest episode had a pretty crippling ending. Looking forward to the season finale, though I wish the show was over so I could just binge-watch it.

Del Murder
04-06-2015, 02:57 AM
They are different shows but with a similar directional style. In many ways BCS is better than BB but BCS has the benefit of only having one season and still being fresh. The better comparison is to the first season of BB in which case I would say they are about even.

In any event, this is the most successful spinoff series I've seen in years. I had doubts that Saul and Mike could carry a show on their own but they certainly can.

Rantz
04-06-2015, 11:52 AM
In any event, this is the most successful spinoff series I've seen in years. I had doubts that Saul and Mike could carry a show on their own but they certainly can.
Yep, same. This show has exceeded my expectations by a lot.

Iceglow
04-06-2015, 01:05 PM
The Charles tirade at Jimmy at the end of the episode was bloody amazing, I was literally like "WTF? You absolute :bou::bou::bou::bou:!"

Goldenboko
04-06-2015, 03:33 PM
Gilligan never fails to find these absolutely perfect actors for their roles. I had never heard of the actor who had played Charles before the show, but holy crap has he owned it.

Shoeberto
04-06-2015, 04:22 PM
Gilligan never fails to find these absolutely perfect actors for their roles. I had never heard of the actor who had played Charles before the show, but holy crap has he owned it.
He's been acting for a while, mostly in pretty amazing comedies (check out This Is Spinal Tap for one of his earliest and most famous films). This dramatic turn is pretty incredible though.

I agree about Gilligan's casting choices, everyone just totally owns their characters. A lot of times when I'm watching movies with recognizables actors, I feel like it's hard to forget that it's Tom Cruise or Matt Damon or whatever. But even with all the previous work I've seen of Bob Oedenkirk or Michael McKeane, they completely disappear into their roles on this show. That's pretty rare.

Yellow_Magic
04-06-2015, 07:42 PM
Yeah, I'm gonna bandwagon and say the roles are perfect for these actors as well.

I have to admit, I felt the show was pretty slow (and not just compared to Breaking Bad) in a couple previous episodes, but needless to say the latest one had me pretty excited (and somewhat apprehensive..) about what's to come.

Del Murder
04-07-2015, 12:32 AM
He's been acting for a while, mostly in pretty amazing comedies (check out This Is Spinal Tap for one of his earliest and most famous films). This dramatic turn is pretty incredible though.

I agree about Gilligan's casting choices, everyone just totally owns their characters. A lot of times when I'm watching movies with recognizables actors, I feel like it's hard to forget that it's Tom Cruise or Matt Damon or whatever. But even with all the previous work I've seen of Bob Oedenkirk or Michael McKeane, they completely disappear into their roles on this show. That's pretty rare.
Bryan Cranston too. Who would have thought Malcom's dad could be so scary?

McLovin'
04-08-2015, 04:16 AM
I can't say I found it to be an amazing finale, but I will admit it was very very very well done. Cinematography, running themes, etc. Reference's to BB, I counted two with the belize joke and the kevin costner one. Lots of symbolism to the coin shtick in that last scene.

Del Murder
04-08-2015, 05:33 AM
That finale was bad.

I Took the Red Pill
04-08-2015, 05:55 AM
Like some TV dramas in recent years (Game of Thrones comes to mind), they went for the big bang on the second to last episode and let the season finale be the denouement and the stage-setter for the next season. Which is pretty much fine with me, but yeah this episode wasn't anything spectacular. The bingo hall scene in particular may have seemed good on paper but didn't work in execution imo.

Still an incredible first season, can't wait for the next. Count me among the initial doubters who became believers.

Psychotic
04-08-2015, 07:10 AM
Yeah, I think the season would've been better if it had ended on episode 9 instead of 10 but hey ho, still an incredible first season.

Miriel
04-09-2015, 07:45 AM
I've really enjoyed this first season of Better Call Saul. Even though it's a slow burn kind of show, I find the pacing to be better than Breaking Bad's was. And I really love what they've done with the character of Jimmy. What a way to flesh out Saul's origin story.

That being said, holy shit was that finale terrible. Like really fucking bad.

Shoeberto
04-10-2015, 04:06 PM
I've really enjoyed this first season of Better Call Saul. Even though it's a slow burn kind of show, I find the pacing to be better than Breaking Bad's was. And I really love what they've done with the character of Jimmy. What a way to flesh out Saul's origin story.

That being said, holy trout was that finale terrible. Like really smurfing bad.
What didn't you like about it?

I just caught up last night, and saw these comments ahead of watching it, so I was expecting a total stinker. I thought it was just alright, kind of like how Red Pill described it. A nice lead-in to the next season, if nothing else.

Ergroilnin
04-10-2015, 08:26 PM
I don't know if that's the fanboy in me speaking but I felt like the finale was just fine.

The 09 was definitely more direct and left a strong impression, which is something usually sought after in the season finales, but I felt like the 10, while more subtle, actually plays much bigger part in the grand scheme of things.

Also since this is my first post in this topic... I friggin' love BCS, awesomely done spin-off.

Crop
04-13-2015, 10:05 PM
I didn't think the final episode was so bad, but it was certainly no episode 9. I particularly loved the scene at the end with Mike, really looking forward to seeing the birth of Saul in the next series, and how is Kim going to take seeing Jimmy turn?

And for the record, Michael McKeane's best role before this was without a doubt as Fear/The Clown in Star Trek: Voyager - http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_Clown

Psychotic
04-21-2020, 09:21 PM
This thread hasn't been posted in for five years but I don't care. This show is fucking cinema on television. All the framing and the callbacks and the dialogue and all of it. It's actual god damn art.

Del Murder
04-22-2020, 01:03 AM
I haven't seen the latest season but I agree this show is great through Season 4. Very rare that a spinoff show and a prequel is as good or maybe even better than the original show. It still has some of the pacing issues BB had but not nearly as bad. Also for a prequel there are some odd things they needed to do for the timeline to fit, but these are nitpicks. I hear the latest season is also really good.

The Captain
04-22-2020, 01:46 AM
I know awards are dumb, but frankly, Odenkirk, Rhea Seehorn and Tony Dalton all need to win Emmys for this season.

I'm so very curious how the show wraps up. something tells me we may get a lot more of the post BB story since the final season is 13 episodes. Though we may be waiting until late 2021 since nothing can go into production until the fall at the earliest.

Sa'll good man!