PDA

View Full Version : FF game with WORST minigames.

Galuf
02-11-2015, 12:11 AM
so far im playing FF X and i got to do some stuff so i decide to do side content. then i discover Chocobo race/dodge. you have to race a girl on a chocobo while collecting baloons and dodging Seagulls. the only problems are. the Seagulls are near impossible to dodge and the control is a bit off. and the worst crime. you have to do it in exactly 0 seconds ( the ballons -3 time and the seagulls +3 time)

and this isnt even the only rubbish sidequest. but its the only one i attempted.

as you can tell FF X is my say but hey whats yours?

metagloria
02-11-2015, 12:22 AM
it's pretty comfortably FFX. some of them almost ruin an otherwise top-10 game. every time I want to start a new game I'm like "ugh, but lightning dodging."

Carl the Llama
02-11-2015, 01:05 AM
I really loved the Blizball minigame, it was rubbish at first but by the time I got everything for Wakka I really loved it.

Worst mini game for me is Tetra Master, I absolutely detested that minigame. The fact that there is a couple of mandatory games makes it the worst for me.

Galuf
02-11-2015, 01:20 AM
I really loved the Blizball minigame, it was rubbish at first but by the time I got everything for Wakka I really loved it.

Worst mini game for me is Tetra Master, I absolutely detested that minigame. The fact that there is a couple of mandatory games makes it the worst for me.

i hate both of those. FF ix is a perfect example of a game which has many many flaws yet still manages to be one o the best

Pumpkin
02-11-2015, 03:36 AM
I liked Tetra Master a lot. Couple that with Chocobo Hot & Cold, it is my favourite for mini games

I would say X is worst. Hate blitzball with a passion and chocobo racing

Carl the Llama
02-11-2015, 03:41 AM
I liked Tetra Master a lot. Couple that with Chocobo Hot & Cold, it is my favourite for mini games

I would say X is worst. Hate blitzball with a passion and chocobo racing

When I wrote that I thought "I bet shion Pumpkin loves that minigame" lol.

Pumpkin
02-11-2015, 03:43 AM
it was da bomb

Carl the Llama
02-11-2015, 03:54 AM
it was da bomb

God damn right it was, the bomb that blew every other game away with its crappyness. :colbert:

Pumpkin
02-11-2015, 04:30 AM
Don't blaspheme at me with your wrongness :colbert:

Jessweeee♪
02-11-2015, 06:16 AM
FFX has some great minigames and some really awful ones. The rewards are pretty great though.

Galuf
02-11-2015, 11:01 AM
it was da bomb

God damn right it was, the bomb that blew every other game away with its crappyness. :colbert:

You dare speak ill of her majesty FF IX.

Psychotic
02-11-2015, 11:04 AM
FFX had Lightning Dodging, Butterfly Catching and the chocobo business. Gross, gross and more gross.

Blitzball wasn't bad once you realised it was more of an RPG than a sports game!

Ayen
02-11-2015, 11:40 AM
Outside of VII and VIII I never really spent much time on the minigames of other games except Blitzball on X and I liked all of them. Was the lightning dodging mandatory? Because I for the life of me can't remember ever doing it and I played that game to the end.

Galuf
02-11-2015, 11:55 AM
Outside of VII and VIII I never really spent much time on the minigames of other games except Blitzball on X and I liked all of them. Was the lightning dodging mandatory? Because I for the life of me can't remember ever doing it and I played that game to the end.

no it is not. you have to do it to get an item for a powerful weapon i think.

Ayen
02-11-2015, 11:59 AM

Okay, so yeah. I never did it. I remember the area and Rikku freaking out, but I never bothered with dodging lightning. I hope said item was worth the pain with how many people I've seen complain about that minigame.

Galuf
02-11-2015, 12:04 PM

Okay, so yeah. I never did it. I remember the area and Rikku freaking out, but I never bothered with dodging lightning. I hope said item was worth the pain with how many people I've seen complain about that minigame.

ive not attempted it so far but yeah i think its for Lulu's ultimate weapon, but im most likely wrong

Psychotic
02-11-2015, 12:09 PM
Every minigame in FFX is to get a sigil, making up half of a character's ultimate weapon. This is why I stopped using Lulu and was glad that I never used Kimahri.

Galuf
02-11-2015, 12:20 PM
Every minigame in FFX is to get a sigil, making up half of a character's ultimate weapon. This is why I stopped using Lulu and was glad that I never used Kimahri.

yeah kimahri is kind of weak for me. and Lulu is outclassed by Yuna in every way

Egami
02-11-2015, 12:48 PM
The precursor to the lightning dodge minigame in X...

42a6gPDe1JU

Ergroilnin
02-11-2015, 12:57 PM
I don't get what's so bad about lighting dodge since there is incredibly easy and almost fool-proof way to do it in one go in 15 minutes.

Jumping the rope 1000 times though...

Galuf
02-11-2015, 12:58 PM
The precursor to the lightning dodge minigame in X...

42a6gPDe1JU
atleast Lightning dodge gives you something. also that damn hippo race.

FF IX and X have really annoying minigames. ( Chocobo hot and cold is fun though)

Ayen
02-11-2015, 01:00 PM
I forgot about the jump rope. Most I ever got on that damn thing was 15. Smurf you, jump rope!

Karifean
02-11-2015, 01:03 PM
Lightning Dodging is the one minigame in FFX I absolutely can't stand. All the others are quite fun, actually. I'm probably the only person on this forum who played Catcher Chocobo and got record times far below 0:0.0 for fun.

I'd say IX takes worst minigames. I don't think any less of the game for it, because they're just about all completely optional, but I found it hard to enjoy most of them. Well except for Chocobo Hot & Cold, that was awesome.

metagloria
02-11-2015, 02:08 PM
I hope said item was worth the pain with how many people I've seen complain about that minigame.

Can I interest you in having a tiny cactuar waddle up to an enemy and hit it for 99999 damage?

Ergroilnin
02-11-2015, 05:23 PM
Actually Onion knight :p

Carl the Llama
02-11-2015, 05:32 PM
Lightning Dodging is the one minigame in FFX I absolutely can't stand. All the others are quite fun, actually. I'm probably the only person on this forum who played Catcher Chocobo and got record times far below 0:0.0 for fun.

I'd say IX takes worst minigames. I don't think any less of the game for it, because they're just about all completely optional, but I found it hard to enjoy most of them. Well except for Chocobo Hot & Cold, that was awesome.

I agree most of the minigames were fun, only one I didn't get on with is the Catcher Chocobo with a time of 0.0, but seeing as you can create far better weapons I never saw any reason to get the sigil, seeing as its the crest that you need to unlock the Aeons Break Damage Limit (which I never used after the point where Tidus and co could do more damage).

I hope said item was worth the pain with how many people I've seen complain about that minigame.

Can I interest you in having a tiny cactuar waddle up to an enemy and hit it for 99999 damage?

Her ultimate weapon is actually an Onion Knight. Besides people could make stronger weapons if they felt the need to do so.

Shauna
02-11-2015, 05:41 PM
I am 100% certain that people get the celestial weapons fully levelled up for the bragging rights, not because there's no way to get stronger weapons than them.

Fox
02-11-2015, 06:12 PM
I know it's painful, everyone. But let's not forget that Blitzball existed in FFX-2 as well...

Karifean
02-11-2015, 06:25 PM
seeing as you can create far better weapons I never saw any reason to get the sigil

I am 100% certain that people get the celestial weapons fully levelled up for the bragging rights, not because there's no way to get stronger weapons than them.

Sorry, but one thing, in the postgame at least, is undebatable: the celestial weapons are doubtlessly the best weapons in the game. Why? Because they make your physical attacks completely ignore the enemy's Defense stat. This makes a huge difference against some enemies and makes customized weapons far inferior to the celestials in those particular fights.

Take Penance, the ultimate superboss, for example. His Defense is so high that at 255 Strength you'll still only deal around 20000 damage per hit with a customized weapon. Celestial Weapons consistently do 99999, even with a far lower Strength stat. In the end, they will vastly outperform the alternatives.

I find it kinda sad that they have that property, it makes customizing feel a little pointless. I'd have preferred it if they had just been regular Break Damage Limit weapons with a few free slots that you can customize at will.

Shauna
02-11-2015, 06:33 PM
I will say that I have never done any post game content or ever gotten any of the celestial weapons. I was merely commenting on the assumption that what he was saying was correct.

Although, I still don't doubt that people will just get the celestial weaps for bragging rights. xD

metagloria
02-11-2015, 08:02 PM
Actually Onion knight :p

Her ultimate weapon is actually an Onion Knight. Besides people could make stronger weapons if they felt the need to do so.

Shoot, you're right. I was confused because once you get her strength to 255, anything with Break Damage Limit will do that. But yes, the Venus Sigil only applies to the Onion Knight. Slip of the mind. Just goes to show I need to play X HD soon!

I know it's painful, everyone. But let's not forget that Blitzball existed in FFX-2 as well...
..."existed". It's nothing like X and nowhere near as rewarding.

Carl the Llama
02-11-2015, 08:05 PM
Sorry, but one thing, in the postgame at least, is undebatable: the celestial weapons are doubtlessly the best weapons in the game. Why? Because they make your physical attacks completely ignore the enemy's Defense stat. This makes a huge difference against some enemies and makes customized weapons far inferior to the celestials in those particular fights.

Take Penance, the ultimate superboss, for example. His Defense is so high that at 255 Strength you'll still only deal around 20000 damage per hit with a customized weapon. Celestial Weapons consistently do 99999, even with a far lower Strength stat. In the end, they will vastly outperform the alternatives.

I find it kinda sad that they have that property, it makes customizing feel a little pointless. I'd have preferred it if they had just been regular Break Damage Limit weapons with a few free slots that you can customize at will.

Interesting points, I've only ever gotten the celestial weapons once (as Shauna said for bragging rights), and only ever bothered to kill Penance the legitimate way the same number of times, every other time I have only whip out my trusty 1HK Yojimbo.I see the legit Penance fight as a pretty boring fight where you spam Quick Hit over and over and over... if it was more fun I could see my self doing it more, but with 12m hp (not to mention killing the arms dozens of times) fighting Penance is such a chore.

Btw 255 STR on a non celestial weapon deals about 60k damage, which in the long run is considerably slower, like you correctly theorize.

..."existed". It's nothing like X and nowhere near as rewarding.

That's kind of his point lol.

Pumpkin
02-11-2015, 08:15 PM
I preferred X-2's Blitzball because I wasn't forced to play it. A++ in my book

Carl the Llama
02-11-2015, 08:18 PM
I preferred X-2's Blitzball because I wasn't forced to play it. A++ in my book

http://i.imgur.com/jLjreh5.png

metagloria
02-11-2015, 08:22 PM

Btw 255 STR on a non celestial weapon deals about 60k damage, which in the long run is considerably slower, like you correctly theorize.

Sorry what now? :Oo: I've played this game a looooot of times and don't remember any phenomenon like that. Is that specific to the international version or is that true in the original?

Karifean
02-11-2015, 08:36 PM

Sorry what now? :Oo: I've played this game a looooot of times and don't remember any phenomenon like that. Is that specific to the international version or is that true in the original?

It's always been this way. It's especially noticeable if you fight flans or one of those extreme high defense Mimics in the Omega Ruins, the ones that imitate huge flying birds.

Though the celestials don't have Piercing so they still do 1/3 damage to 'armored' type enemies.

Carl the Llama
02-11-2015, 08:47 PM

A lot of faffing about in this video, but if you skip to 0:47

KnmsgDwO_7k?t=48s

You see Wakka does about 60k damage. (Sorry for the poor quality, had real trouble finding a video of the fight without celestials).

Where as this video:

aTR6cTOG1JQ

All the attacks are 100k.

Karifean
02-11-2015, 08:52 PM
You see Wakka does about 60k damage.

Well that was a crit, and Penance also has Auto-Protect in Phase 1 which halves damage, so my estimate wasn't that far off ^^

metagloria
02-11-2015, 09:05 PM
Yeah, and that's Penance, which is the international version...

Carl the Llama
02-11-2015, 11:58 PM
You see Wakka does about 60k damage.

Well that was a crit, and Penance also has Auto-Protect in Phase 1 which halves damage, so my estimate wasn't that far off ^^

Every attack will be a crit if you are facing Penance, as he only has 10 luck. Crit % is rather simple in X being that its entirely based on luck, (Crit % = Users luck - Enemies luck) which given that they are facing Penance I am assuming it will be at least 100 higher.

Besides, 3m HP is not very much in the great scheme of things.

Yeah, and that's Penance, which is the international version...

We have been discussing Penance the entire time lol.

Galuf
02-12-2015, 12:07 AM
We have been discussing Penance the entire time lol.

yeah on ma wee Worst minigames thread. not Worst Penance or whatever. anyway no matter as i am training to even survive a hit from the dark aeons lol.

metagloria
02-12-2015, 01:01 AM
I was talking about Karifean's original claim that

they make your physical attacks completely ignore the enemy's Defense stat.

which had nothing to do with Penance. I didn't believe this to be true in the american release. Is it?

Karifean
02-12-2015, 01:13 AM
It's always been this way.

Loony BoB
02-12-2015, 03:39 PM
Worst? Chocobo "racing" in FFX because it's frustrating and annoying as hell, wool plucking in FFXIII because it's essentially pointless, Tetra Master in FFIX because of RNG, Jump Rope in FFIX because smurf you jump rope, smurf you.

Depression Moon
02-12-2015, 05:13 PM
I never had a problem with the Chocobo game in X. It only took me a few tries to get the 0 seconds. I don't really consider butterfly catching or Lightning dodging as mini games. VII's mini games were boring to me, Triple Triad I found easier to learn than Tetra Master, but I hated some of the rules like random. I prefer to collect IX's cards though. Jump Rope frustrates me in IX. I don't think I'll ever manage to get Jump Rope King. I could never beat Shinra in Sphere Break.

Fox
02-12-2015, 06:58 PM
Here's a horror story for you all.

So I was doing the stupid Chocobo balloon thing to get the whatever crest. I'd been at it almost an hour (that's a long time to just do that damn minigame...) and then finally crossed the line and achieved my 0.0!! Huzzah!

Received a Turbo Ether. :(

Galuf
02-12-2015, 07:03 PM

So I was doing the stupid Chocobo balloon thing to get the whatever crest. I'd been at it almost an hour (that's a long time to just do that damn minigame...) and then finally crossed the line and achieved my 0.0!! Huzzah!

the hell!? i hope you got it eventually

Fox
02-12-2015, 07:10 PM

the hell!? i hope you got it eventually

I did, after another half hour of trying. I concluded there was one of two causes:

1) It times you to more decimal places than it actually shows. I think this is unlikely as it would have happened to more people.
2) When setting up the challenge, somebody used a "< 0.0" instead of "<= 0.0", and I happened to equal 0.0 exactly.

sharkythesharkdogg
02-13-2015, 12:56 PM
I consider the side jobs you learn in ff14 to be a minigame, and sitting there watching someone spin cloth or chop wood over and over is mind numbing.

Shauna
02-13-2015, 01:32 PM
2) When setting up the challenge, somebody used a "< 0.0" instead of "<= 0.0", and I happened to equal 0.0 exactly.

Yep.

Carl the Llama
02-13-2015, 02:04 PM
I consider the side jobs you learn in ff14 to be a minigame, and sitting there watching someone spin cloth or chop wood over and over is mind numbing.

As a level 45 Weaver, I have a surprisingly good time weaving high level stuffs.

theundeadhero
02-13-2015, 03:48 PM
I've never liked any mini-games, some are only tolerable, but FFX were the worst.

sharkythesharkdogg
02-13-2015, 08:36 PM

As a level 45 Weaver, I have a surprisingly good time weaving high level stuffs.

Maybe it gets more fun, but it feels like your playing something http://i.jeuxactus.com/datas/jeux/f/a/farming-simulator-2013/xl/farming-simulator-2013-ja-5048831dd5ce4.jpg

Sometimes games that simulate real life work, other times they make you ask why you don't just go do it in real life.

Fox
02-13-2015, 08:59 PM

Yep.

By an astonishing coincidence 0.0 was also the face I made when it happened.

Swiftly followed by T_T

Loony BoB
02-16-2015, 03:52 PM
Fox: That has happened to me too, I'm pretty sure.