PDA

View Full Version : Tifa's fighting stance

SuperMillionaire
02-12-2015, 08:18 PM
Tifa is right-handed, but in most of her appearances, she uses a left-handed stance, with her right hand and foot in front and her left hand and foot behind the right hand and foot. In Kingdom Hearts II, however, she uses a proper right-handed stance, with her right hand and foot behind her left hand and foot, which are in front. Why does she use a left-handed stance when she is right-handed?

VeloZer0
02-12-2015, 10:33 PM
Well, I don't know that you an call something proper or improper when it comes to this. Unarmed fighting stances are designed to fight against other unarmed opponents or opponents with small weapons (ie knives), who knows what the heck becomes relevant when fighting monsters, guns and huge robots. ;)

SuperMillionaire
03-27-2015, 05:23 PM
True, but her stance appears to be left-handed when she is actually right-handed.

Mirage
03-28-2015, 12:45 AM
Tifa is right-handed, but in most of her appearances, she uses a left-handed stance, with her right hand and foot in front and her left hand and foot behind the right hand and foot. In Kingdom Hearts II, however, she uses a proper right-handed stance, with her right hand and foot behind her left hand and foot, which are in front. Why does she use a left-handed stance when she is right-handed?

It's no problem to be southpaw even if you're normally right handed. She could also be ambidextrous.

Kyros
03-29-2015, 08:31 PM
I'm thinking more along the lines she's ambidextrous, and even if she does prefer her right hand she could like to lead with it in a southpaw stance instead of using an orthodox stance.

Sephiroth
03-29-2015, 10:38 PM
Sephiroth also uses his right hand even though his main hand is the left one. That is also, because even though he has a main hand (left-handed), ambidextrously talented.

Quindiana Jones
04-10-2015, 05:09 AM
Starting a fight southpaw can lead to cool combos if you fast enough, which she totally is.

Or possibly Square just didn't consider it till later. Does her current stance show more of her, whereas a standard stance would simple show her back? I dunno.

Ayen
04-10-2015, 07:16 AM
I'm going to take a wild guess and say they didn't put that much thought into it.

sharkythesharkdogg
04-16-2015, 04:58 PM
I'm going to take a wild guess and say they didn't put that much thought into it.

This is the real answer, but for us nerds we can pretend other reasons.

It's possible for people to be dominant with one side and still prefer the other side for certain things. I've known people who were 90% righties who still preferred the left hand/foot for playing pool, darts, boxing, football, batting, kicking a soccerball, etc.

There's also the whole "fool the opponent angle". Most people are right handed, and a person who is a southpaw is supposed to be difficult to fight against. The movements, tactics, etc. seem to favor that stance. (I'm not an expert, this is just what I've read.) So perhaps she learned to fight southpaw to increase her flexibility as a fighter and throw off opponents.

SuperMillionaire
05-23-2015, 08:34 PM
Then why did she use an orthodox stance in Kingdom Hearts II, whereas everywhere else, she uses a southpaw stance?

And if she were to appear in a 3rd party fighting game, let's say from Namco or Capcom, will she still use a southpaw stance, or will she switch to an orthodox stance, like she did in Kingdom Hearts II?