PDA

View Full Version : Dancing Mad vs One Winged Angel

Lazerface
02-14-2015, 07:26 PM
Which did you think was the better song coming from FFVI or FFVII? I always liked Dancing Mad better, just freaking epic. Told the whole story of the game in 4 parts. One might say it like this- Hell, Purgatory, Heaven, Final. Just epic. I can honestly One Winged Angel just doesn't touch it.

Fox
02-14-2015, 07:46 PM
I prefer One Winged Angel. It's just a more coherent piece of music. Dancing Mad is great, don't get me wrong, and hearing them performed live it was arguably more impressive (especially with the epic organ solo). Its main strength is also its greatest weakness though - it's got these four very different parts that are very different thematically, and it just dilutes the whole thing too much. That kind of structure works for something like Maria & Draco, because that is purely passive - you are watching and listening to the story of the opera. But Dancing Mad tries the same thing but also try to be a battle theme, and in that context I don't think it works so well.

In fact as 'Battle Music' goes I would put The Extreme and Grand Cross over Dancing Mad.

Electroshock Therapy
02-14-2015, 07:56 PM
I prefer the first three movements of Dancing Mad. When it gets all "prog rock" towards the end, it loses much of its creepy atmosphere. One Winged Angel is really only notable for the vocal sections. All the instrumental stuff in between is pretty standard and uninteresting battle fair.

Galuf
02-14-2015, 10:03 PM
none of them have the beats like Grand cross!

anyway i prefer Dancing mad.

one winged angel is good and al but its weird when halfway throught the song it sounds ike a can-can song lol

Psychotic
02-14-2015, 10:08 PM
I like them well enough, especially newer versions but I've never quite got the hype about either song from the OST of each game. I'd go with OWA over Dancing Mad if I had to pick one (original) though. I agree with what others have said about Dancing Mad, the organ sections are fantastic but the weird smurfing prog rock bit (as ET called it, I like it!) is just meh

Kingdom Hearts OWA and Advent Children OWA are both much better versions than the original. Distant Worlds DM is some smurfing next level trout though and absolutely mind blowing and I'd take that over the OWA renditions.

So I guess my answer is "depends"? :shobon:

Ayen
02-14-2015, 10:23 PM
I prefer Dancing Mad.

Fox
02-14-2015, 10:49 PM
BTW I think we should take a moment to recognise an undervalued treasure: the penultimate battle music of FFVII: Birth of a God. That was pretty epic in its own right, shame it gets overshadowed by One Winged Angel so much

VeloZer0
02-14-2015, 11:24 PM
Now imagine this, Jenova Absolute, Birth of a God and One Winged Angel being considered one track like in FF6 where the pre-final boss and final boss tracks were merged into one.

Fox
02-14-2015, 11:31 PM
Now imagine this, Jenova Absolute, Birth of a God and One Winged Angel being considered one track like in FF6 where the pre-final boss and final boss tracks were merged into one.

I think the FFVIII approach is the best. It's the same way as in VI but each piece for each phase of the boss is kept separate. So it's a similar effect to Dancing Mad but when you listen to them on their own they make a bit more sense.

Leigh
02-15-2015, 12:18 AM
I prefer Dancing Mad as a piece that is music for the sake of music. :) One Wing Angel is, if I had a mix tape of Final Fantasy tunes, the track i'd probably press fast-forward on. It works in the game though and has a pretty memorable theme. I'll admit though that I am not a massive fan of choral vocal music. Well...excluding Confutatis from Mozart's Requiem of course! =)

Shiva95
02-15-2015, 01:36 PM
I prefer Dancing Mad.

Bolivar
02-15-2015, 07:31 PM
I think Uematsu said he composed One Winged Angel based on what he thought it would sound like if Jimmy Hendrix and Igor Stravinsky had collaborated. I like Dancing Mad but this is on another level for me.

Egami
02-16-2015, 11:42 AM
One Winged Angel. I like Dancing Mad a lot but I think it kind of loses it's way after the first part which has a strong build up and sets up a really nice atmosphere. When it starts picking up the pace it begins feeling disjointed and after a bit I no longer feel as immersed in the music as I was during the first part.

Loony BoB
02-16-2015, 02:23 PM
One Winged Angel, out of the two.