PDA

View Full Version : [FFX] Wakka and Rikku?

Jinx
02-16-2015, 04:58 PM
While I've always thought Tidus and Rikku would've made the best couple, did anyone else get the feeling the game was trying to hint that Wakka and Rikku should end up together? It seemed like they kind of flirted a bit, but then Wakka and Lulu got together in the second game.

Any thoughts?

Psychotic
02-16-2015, 05:24 PM
The ultimate redemption for the Al Bhed hater I guess.

Pumpkin
02-16-2015, 05:43 PM
Not really. They seemed to have more of a sibling relationship to me more than anything else

Loony BoB
02-16-2015, 05:44 PM
Just never saw them as a couple on any romantic level tbh.

Egami
02-16-2015, 06:03 PM
I didn't get that impression from their interactions.

Ayen
02-16-2015, 06:58 PM
No I did not.

Dat Matt
02-17-2015, 12:03 AM
That line about blowing up home being like happy festival fireworks really made Rikku Swoon, eh?

Dante WolfWood
02-17-2015, 12:14 AM
YES

Shiny
02-17-2015, 12:47 AM
Wakka and Rikku hated each other for the longest time in the game because they didn't accept each other's beliefs. Religious or spiritual beliefs are typically uncompromisable, so no I don't think they would have made a good couple.

Karifean
02-17-2015, 01:07 AM
Can't say I ever had the feeling that there was anything romantic between the two.

Shiva95
02-17-2015, 01:37 PM
I never saw them as a couple, and I think Wakka is good with Lulu.

Fynn
02-17-2015, 08:38 PM
Not really. They seemed to have more of a sibling relationship to me more than anything else

Shiny
02-18-2015, 12:13 AM
Wakka is also racist against Rikku's people soooo....

Scotty_ffgamer
02-18-2015, 07:03 AM
I never got that vibe. He might have seen the possibilities of her being able to handle being under water for long periods of time though. She would have been a good blitzer, ya?

Hollycat
02-18-2015, 07:10 AM
I never got that feeling. They're kind of opposites, and they kept all of Wakkas relationship dialogue with LuLu.

maybee
02-18-2015, 07:12 AM
I thought that they pretty much didn't get along all that strongly and at times, downright hated each other.

Bubba
02-18-2015, 09:55 AM
Wakka and Rikku hated each other for the longest time in the game because they didn't accept each other's beliefs. Religious or spiritual beliefs are typically uncompromisable, so no I don't think they would have made a good couple.

I thought that they pretty much didn't get along all that strongly and at times, downright hated each other.

I'm not far from the end of this game for the first time. I don't get the impression that Rikku hates Wakka at all. She's always been really nice to pretty much everyone. Wakka is obviously a bit of a religious nut and his attitude towards the Al Bhed is awful.

I definitely don't see them as a couple. I didn't know that he ends up with Lulu in the second game but I find that a bit weird too. Didn't Lulu used to go out with Chappu before he died? I'm not sure he'd be overly thrilled that his ex-girlfriend ended up with his older brother. I bet he's beating his head against the wall of the Farplane.

Old Manus
02-18-2015, 10:02 AM
Rikku: 15
Wakka: 23

Bubba
02-18-2015, 10:10 AM
Isn't Yuffie 15 as well? It seems Final Fantasy fans don't really recognise paedophilia.

Rikku: 15
Wakka: 23

Interestingly, there is an eight year age gap between myself and MissH :D

Loony BoB
02-18-2015, 10:20 AM
The "minimum" (ie, where courts deem it okay, generally involving parents' thoughts) age of consent in Japan is 13 years old. Explains a lot sometimes... but seriously, for me, neither Rikku nor Yuffie were highly sexualised in the games and I never found either of them particularly arousing in any way. I thought they looked good, but not in a "mmm, gimme some o'dat" way, more of a way in that people of any age can just be generally good looking.

Fynn
02-18-2015, 12:00 PM
Paedophilia is a disorder where you're attracted to people who are not physically mature. So if you're attracted who is younger than they look, it's not paedophilia until you act on it :monster:

That and the legal age for boning is 15 in Poland, so I don't see it as a big deal.

And while I don't see them as a couple at all, I really don't get where people get the hate vibe. Rikku is nice to everyone, as has been pointed out, while Wakka is torn between his racism and enjoying Rikku's company. He clearly tries to be nice in spite of himself.

Bubba
02-18-2015, 12:19 PM
Paedophilia is a disorder where you're attracted to people who are not physically mature. So if you're attracted who is younger than they look, it's not paedophilia until you act on it

People can still be diagnosed with paedophilia when they haven't acted on it.

I think the cut off is about 13 years old though so I guess 15 is OK. It still doesn't sit right with me though.

Jinx
02-18-2015, 02:12 PM
I don't mean to split hairs about this, because I think it's gross regardless and I don't want to see to be supporting any of these things, but people forget about hebephilia (being attracted to children ages 11-14ish) and ephebophilia (being attracted to children ages 15-19ish) and just lump it all together under "pedophilia".

Also, obviously being attracted to a 19-year-old isn't illegal, but when you're over a certain age and you pursue someone who's still a teenager, yeah. It's pretty gross and cringeworthy. (Maybe not "sexually" but definitely from a mental/emotional standpoint).

Anyways, that's my off-topic post! :D

Ergroilnin
02-18-2015, 02:25 PM
Well kind of OT I guess, not really a point to the paedophile stuff, but purely biologically speaking females are supposed and able to mate from their first period and males ever since they produce sperms. That's from nature way speaking. Of course it isn't normal and shouldn't be allowed for anyone to bang children just because biologically they are able to.

Bubba
02-18-2015, 03:36 PM
Anyway, back on topic.

Wakka and Tidus would make a better couple than Wakka and anyone else.

Pumpkin
02-18-2015, 03:55 PM

truth

Fynn
02-18-2015, 04:37 PM

truth

Personally, I ship Wakka and Kimahri :colbert:

Pumpkin
02-18-2015, 04:38 PM
Kimahri is better than that tho

Fynn
02-18-2015, 04:45 PM
Kimahri is better than that tho

But they have the same voice actor.

And they're both buff.

Yeah.

Pumpkin
02-18-2015, 04:48 PM
Kimahri + Random Ronso NPC #17 4 lyfe <3

I'm not sure who I would pick for Wakka, honestly. I guess Lulu because they are actually a couple. But I'm one of those weird ones who think Rikku would be suited to someone like Auron but not actually Auron

Scotty_ffgamer
02-18-2015, 05:18 PM
This is just a friendly reminder to keep on topic here. Let's keep the light-hearted discussion of if Rikku and Wakka would have been a good couple (or who would have made a good couple with either of them) going.

Bubba
02-18-2015, 09:00 PM
This is just a friendly reminder to keep on topic here. Let's keep the light-hearted discussion of if Rikku and Wakka would have been a good couple (or who would have made a good couple with either of them) going.

To be fair Scotty, the last six posts were on topic so that friendly reminder wasn't really required.

Wakka and Auron anyone? I think the reason for Auron's tough demeanor is due to hide his true feelings for the Besaid beefcake :D

Shiny
02-20-2015, 05:25 AM
It's hard for me to imagine any FFX character together. They're so very different from one another. The only people who are kind of similar are Lulu and Auron, but I feel like that's kind of weird too. Gippal and Rikku are a pretty cute couple though.

zackk
04-06-2015, 03:04 PM
Besides Wakka's strong hate towards Al Bhed, and their machina, he and Rikku have an 8 year age difference. So no, I wouldn't think about them as a couple. They could pass for an annoying little sister-prude older brother tandem though.

Richard
05-01-2015, 07:50 PM
While I've always thought Tidus and Rikku would've made the best couple, did anyone else get the feeling the game was trying to hint that Wakka and Rikku should end up together? It seemed like they kind of flirted a bit, but then Wakka and Lulu got together in the second game.

Any thoughts?

You have to admit. Because of Wakka's Yu Yevon religious beliefs and Rikku being an Al Bhed who was pretty much an atheist of that religion. It would have never worked. Not only would it have not worked. Wakka...made what we would call racial slurs left and right through parts of the game. During the explosion of the Al Bhed home, he made a really bad wise crack of "BOOM! Happy fire works YA!!??"

I believe Wakka never really got over his prejudice of the Al Bhed because of his brother Chappu. It was heavily implied after that, he wanted to live a more honest living and support his religious beliefs full time after Blitz Ball.

Also, we need to take Yuna into account and how she was like a little sister to him and Lu Lu.

Wakka sleeping with Rikku would probably be a conflict of interests to Yuna. Not only that, but Rikku is really young....not that age matters to some people. But Wakka was almost 30. So give him 10 years dating a girl that is 15, and he'll look like her father.

The one thing that Wakka doesn't have with Rikku is a history. There's too big of a generation gap versus his already almost broken relationship with Lu Lu at the beginning of FFX.

If Lu Lu hadn't gotten over Chappu's death enough to move on, I doubt they would have ever ended up together. But seeing as they had almost everything in common as far as the same religious beliefs and being guardians. I think thats what made them connect the best even if she'd been sleeping and was engaged to his brother.

Wakka and Lu Lu had a very strong bond in my opinion. So in other words. Rikku would have never worked no matter how many times you try to fit it in together.

Jinx
05-01-2015, 09:01 PM
Wakka is only 22 or 23. Hardly an entire generation gap.

And I DO think he gets over his racism by the end of the game. He gets to know the Al Bhed better, and in X-2 even names his son with an Al Bhed word. Plus, he doesn't have religious beliefs by the end of the game, because his religion is false and he sees it first hand. In X-2 he tries to defend the Temple from that Youth League guy, but that's more because it's an important part of Besaid, its tradition, and the lives of its inhabitants even if Yevon is no longer a true religion.

Richard
05-01-2015, 10:30 PM
Wakka is only 22 or 23. Hardly an entire generation gap.

And I DO think he gets over his racism by the end of the game. He gets to know the Al Bhed better, and in X-2 even names his son with an Al Bhed word. Plus, he doesn't have religious beliefs by the end of the game, because his religion is false and he sees it first hand. In X-2 he tries to defend the Temple from that Youth League guy, but that's more because it's an important part of Besaid, its tradition, and the lives of its inhabitants even if Yevon is no longer a true religion.

Fair enough. But I do disagree with you on the age gap and I know this isn't a big deal so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Wakka was actually 23 in X..like you explained and 25 in X-2. Rikku was 15 in X and 17 in X-2. To me, that is a huge age gap because...wether you believe it or not, Rikku is a child/teenager.....he's an adult. That's a big age difference because...Rikku's age defines her as a child while Wakka's age defines him as a young adult.

With respect... I'm not going to agree with you on that no matter the debate.

Jinx
05-01-2015, 11:03 PM
No, no, that's fine. But there's still a big difference between 15-23 and 17-24. I think a 15-year-old can have stuff in common with a 23-year-old, even though they're at different places.

But don't worry about disagreeing with me. I'm not bothered. :)

Richard
05-02-2015, 07:15 PM
No, no, that's fine. But there's still a big difference between 15-23 and 17-24. I think a 15-year-old can have stuff in common with a 23-year-old, even though they're at different places.

Very true. Although had Rikku been Wakka's age, its still hard for me to see them as a couple or just friends with benefits.