PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite and most satisfying bosses to kill

Egami
02-17-2015, 06:55 PM
Which have been your favorite and most satisfying bosses to kill and why? It could be because the fight gave you a lot of trouble, because they were a genuine challenge, because of story reasons, because you liked the design, or maybe you found it annoying for some reason and couldn't wait to finally kill it.

They can be from any FF title, sequel or spinoff you like.

Karifean
02-17-2015, 08:19 PM
It's a tie between three fights, but for now I'll say the five Judge Magisters in Final Fantasy XII IZJS, Trial Mode Stage 100.

0iKk1MVdAPw

This fight is just awesome. One of my favorite antagonist groups all bunched together, raised to superboss levels and actually using teamwork against you, with one of my favorite boss themes playing in the background. Playing for time doesn't work, random attacking doesn't work, you gotta hit them right where they're the weakest and make full use of all you have at your disposal. I loved that.

The other fights are Chac and Almighty Shinra with honorable mention to Major Numerus, all from X-2.

Fox
02-17-2015, 10:20 PM
Final Fantasy VII.

Demons trouting Gate.

OK, he's a push over these days but back when I was playing it for the first time? The Temple of the Ancients was a hellish nightmare maze anyway, and then this dude shows up? I remember the first time I went into battle with him, he dropped three rocks before I'd managed a single attack and wiped my entire party. This boss marks the first time I was ever introduced to the concept of 'grinding' as I would run up and down the mural room fighting those flying lizard things. I always hoped for them when I got into battle because they gave the most EXP and were really quick to kill with Trine.

Egami
02-18-2015, 12:26 AM
This fight is just awesome. One of my favorite antagonist groups all bunched together, raised to superboss levels and actually using teamwork against you, with one of my favorite boss themes playing in the background. Playing for time doesn't work, random attacking doesn't work, you gotta hit them right where they're the weakest and make full use of all you have at your disposal. I loved that.

Interesting fight, I've never played the international version of XII. Hopefully if they do a remaster of it it will be the international version with the zodiak system.

The other fights are Chac and Almighty Shinra with honorable mention to Major Numerus, all from X-2.

I've yet to do the full Via Infinito in X-2 but have heard the horror tales about Chac and Trema.

Final Fantasy VII. Demons trouting Gate.

Yeah, I had a very similar experience with the Temple of the Ancients in my first play of the game. Didn't know which way to go and The Demons Gate gave me a lot of trouble when I first fought him. It is indeed satisfying to kill him. Quite the nod to the Demon Wall of IV, which also seems to give a lot of trouble to first time players.

For my part, a few bosses come to mind...

FF X, Yunalesca: She is one of my favorite villains in the series and I find fighting her three forms a lot of fun and also like their design. I like how the game builds up tension as you start heading down to the Zanakard dome with the music, the memories of the previous summoners, the revelation of the final summoning not being what you thought it was and then you meet her and the well known confrontation ensues, making the battle all the more intense and the payoff the more satisfying. One of the most engrossing and interesting fights in the series imo and one which really lives up to the the theme it is set to (Challenge).

FF X-2, Angra Mainyu: I really like her design (one of the few monsters that is not just a palette swap in X-2) and how she is always causing trouble, be it attacking you while you are digging in the desert and ejecting your out of the battle during the first three chapters, wreaking havoc in Cactuar Nation and then in the Al-Bhed camp. It also has a nice build up as a looming threat first, then attacking and then when you can properly face her in battle in chapter 5 at which point you realise you are facing a 333,000+hp behemoth which forces you to actually think of a strategy to beat her. It was a long but really fun fight and when she finally screams and explodes at the end it is very satisfying to have finally put this ancient fiend and threat to death.

FF VII, The Proud Cloud: It isn't a hard battle even tho it is rather long but I like it and find it satisfying because you finally get to finish off Scarlet and Heidegger, particularly Scarlet who had been pestering the party even before the game started (Barrett's flashback in Corel where she attacks him and Dyne) and during the game (trying to kill Tifa and what not).

I'll try and post others later on.

Fox
02-18-2015, 12:42 AM
Can we count slapping Scarlet on the Junon Canon a boss fight? Because that was damn satisfying as well.

Egami
02-18-2015, 12:58 AM
Can we count slapping Scarlet on the Junon Canon a boss fight? Because that was damn satisfying as well.

For sure :D It is as good a fight as any. It just has a different mechanic to it.

BlackFire
05-04-2015, 05:41 AM
In the XIII series: Orphan, Bhunivelze, Noel, Caius and Aeronite.
Although I have not beat Aeronite yet.
It is also a great relief to take down a Adamantoise or Long Gui.

2MooglesGaming
05-04-2015, 10:56 PM
For me, Ruby Weapon really stands out. I had a save once where I stumbled into a materia configuration that let me trigger the All Lucky Sevens by adding in a level 1 HP +10%, so I went into the fight thinking it would make it a piece of cake. Boy was I wrong :p A humbling and challenging experience.

Last week my gf and I did a video on our YT channel about our favorite FF bosses. Here's the video if anyone's interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSqdMuAUefE

Ayen
05-05-2015, 03:52 AM
I don't remember any of them. I just remember giving them the finger when they finally died.

Saber
05-05-2015, 05:41 AM
Final Fantasy VI - Magic Master (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Master_(Final_Fantasy_VI)) cause of his shape shifting.

All of Final Fantasy X extra bosses, Dark Aeons, Nemesis, etc

final fantasy xii yiazmat

Final Fantasy XIII - Long Gui
Final Fantasy XIII-2 - Gilgamesh
Final Fantasy XIII-3 - Bhunivelze+ (Hard Mode)

My favorite fight is bahamut and odin. Both seem to be pretty bad@$$

Bubba
05-05-2015, 12:08 PM
My most satisfying was probably Diablos from FFVIII. I had literally no idea what was gonna happen when I examined that lamp and I was very unprepared. I got battered at the start too but with Demi not killing your characters outright I just did enough to gain him as a GF. Very satisfying.

Snap Jumper
05-06-2015, 04:37 AM
One boss that I always am happy to see go down is Omniscient in V. You have a smaller party. You can't use the attack command. You really need to be properly prepared before the battle begins. Running out of magic points happens a lot. Wall rings help, but healing requires tons of potions in that case. It's a difficult battle.

Vermachtnis
05-06-2015, 07:45 AM
Qun'Mi's Lesbian Lover whose name I can't remember. She's in some weird robot that you're chasing all throughout the city and the entire time she's running from you and yelling at you in an annoying echoey voice that we're the cowards. Meanwhile everytime she shows up, I shoot her like three times and she runs away again. Made it all the more satisfying when we got the actual boss arena and could kill her. Best five seconds ever.