PDA

View Full Version : Oceanhorn For Zelda Fans

Vyk
02-18-2015, 05:14 AM
YJxpQ8KGRa8

Coming to Steam next month :]

I guess its also been available on iOS. This is supposedly a remastered version. I am not a big fan of Zelda games. But I've enjoyed quite a few Zelda-likes. And this actually interests me. And I know there's a lot of Zelda fans out there. Now you can play one on your PC :P

Mirage
02-18-2015, 11:35 AM
looks a bit uninspired to me

Bolivar
02-18-2015, 01:12 PM
Nice find Vyk!

I'll have to check this out.

Vyk
02-18-2015, 05:46 PM
Well it is an homage game. It's only purpose and inspiration is to pay tribute to another game. A game with tried and tested mechanics. So they can focus more on art direction and charm. Though I've played some pretty bad Zelda clones. This one seems extremely competent. I still find it amusing that I'm more interested in this than actual Zelda games

Rostum
02-22-2015, 11:24 PM
I remember seeing an early phase of this on a developer forum, and I was looking forward to it. I haven't seen much of it in the past year or so, but it looks really cool. I'll most likely try it out! :)

Shlup
02-23-2015, 03:06 AM
I can't tell from the trailer if this is going to actually be good or incredibly boring.

Vyk
03-21-2015, 05:54 PM
Type-0's release kind of overshadowed this little guy's release. But I still bought it. And downloaded it. And installed it. And played an hour or so. And really enjoy it. It definitely has that Zelda flavor as promised. I think it's very polished. But I've only basically explored the first couple of areas. I haven't really dug my teeth in too awful much

Funny thing for me is that I have a pretty bad relationship with Zelda games, so it actually reminds me more of things from the 16-bit and 32-bit era. It's got that charm with an updated aesthetic. I feel like I'm playing a happier Alundra game, or Shining Wisdom. And it feels pretty great. It's a nice light hearted way to unwind

Bolivar
03-21-2015, 06:41 PM
That sounds awesome!

Are you playing this with a controller or keyboard + mouse?

Vyk
03-21-2015, 06:59 PM
I play with a controller. The graphics/framerate made it a little choppy the first time I fired it up. But it played great the second time. Like a lot of PC controller friendly games, it sometimes glitches back to tutorials that mention keyboard controls instead of controller controls. But it's only really happened once. And when Steam announces something in the corner, the cursor pops up for a second. But as soon as you hit anything on the controller it goes back so its just an anomaly rather than an annoyance. It has really good controller handling overall though. I've had way bigger budget games (XCOM) freak out a lot more over the controller than this. So yeah

It's also currently on sale to celebrate its release. It's available on Steam and GOG. I actually got it on GOG, but Steam is still always running, hence the glitchiness when it announces something. Hell it may run better if you actually get it on Steam. I just try to get everything I can on GOG when I can in case my girlfriend gets interested we don't have to buy a second copy if we want to play at the same time lol

The first impressions and reviews of the game are mostly positive as well. Steam has it marked as "Very Positive". And on GOG its sitting at 4 stars (only 3 reviews. Two with 5 stars and one with only 3)

But like I've said, I haven't dug super far into it, but what I've played has handled well, it's really pretty, and really amusing