PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever bought something after seeing an advertisement?

Lone Wolf Leonhart
02-21-2015, 11:59 PM
As the title says. We'll keep it realistic and say you don't go out and buy a car after you see an ad for a car. But small stuff, like candy bars. Do you ever go out and buy a Twix after watching a Twix commercial?

Shiny
02-22-2015, 01:16 AM
This only happens rarely, but when it does it's always after a friggin' food commercial. THEY MAKE IT LOOK SO GOOD.

Aerith's Knight
02-22-2015, 11:01 AM
I think it has more to do with indoctrination. If they air it often enough, it gets stuck in your head, so when your friend says: "I'm going to buy *insert product type*.", you'll say: "Are you going to buy *product X*?"

Or something along that line. They wouldn't spend billions on it if it didn't have any effect.

Psychotic
02-22-2015, 11:16 AM
ccWrbGEFgI8

Saw this on TV, got it the next day. Just that end shot of this tiny man deciding, well, smurf it, better start shooting at this huge monster did it for me. "Yes, this is a game I need to play!" Did not regret it, absolutely loved the Gears series.

blackmage_nuke
02-22-2015, 11:39 AM
Sometimes I'll need to buy a type of product for the first time and when I get to the store and I'm swamped with brand choices I'll go for the brand I've seen an ad for, especially if it something I intend to eat. I still feel the shame of being a mind controlled sheep afterwards though.

Nate
02-23-2015, 06:46 PM
I'm more likely to buy something after they give me a sample. I bought a box of burgers at the store because they were sampling them.

Pumpkin
02-23-2015, 08:37 PM
If the product interests me then yes. But it's not like I'll suddenly want a new tractor because I see a commercial because I mean what am I going to do with a tractor?

Nothing is what

what were we talking about?

Madame Adequate
02-23-2015, 09:29 PM
Plow your fields, Pumpkin?

I know I've been influenced by advertising, it does its job.

SquallsMist
02-23-2015, 09:42 PM
I don't think I've ever bought something spur of the moment after an advertisement, but I probably have.

I don't like ads at all and hate watching TV as it is broadcast.

I'm more likely to research serious purchases and check out reviews etc. Spur of the moment purchases tend to be after I've seen friends raving about the product.

Scotty_ffgamer
02-23-2015, 09:46 PM
I haven't watched tv and dealt with commercials in a long time. When I'm online, I just find ads annoying as they will try to cover up or distract from the content I'm getting towards.

That being said, there have been movie trailers that made me go see a movie I would not have otherwise (like Nightcrawler) or there have been game trailers that have led me to buying games on a whim.

sharkythesharkdogg
02-23-2015, 10:01 PM
Plow your fields, Pumpkin?

That's my job. :shifty:

noxious.sunshine
02-23-2015, 10:50 PM
I don't -think- I've ever done this.

Unless you count the time I saw a commercial for a video game design program at a school in Phoenix and immediately applied & got accepted & then wound up in $20k student loan debt.

escobert
02-23-2015, 11:48 PM
No, not that I can think of.

Ceiladora
02-24-2015, 09:34 PM
If online restaurant meal promotion advertisements count, then sometimes I do. :)

Freya
02-24-2015, 09:43 PM
I'm an advertisers dream "BABE, WE NEED A SUBARU, THEY'RE DOG APPROVED" "You don't need one." "dangit."

Calliope
02-24-2015, 10:42 PM
Yes, usually if it's a retailer emailing me with a special that I can buy online.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
02-24-2015, 11:43 PM
I'm much more likely to pay attention to an ad that has a coupon code discount for an online website I visit frequently.

For example:

Mirage
02-25-2015, 04:08 AM
Only if it is for something I already have an interest in, and the advertisement showed me a way to get it much cheaper than it normally is. In the case where the low price is there just to lure me into a store and spend more money than I intended to, I always make sure to never buy anything else than what I came there for.

Other than that, I avoid advertisements as much as I can, and many advertisements actually make dislike the products and manufacturers/sellers of those products. Having their trout blasted into my living room when I in reality just want to watch a movie or TV show is not something that creates a positive feeling towards a product or brand. I find TV advertisements extremely obnoxious, noisy and intrusive. I actually get stressed out by them.

Sephex
02-25-2015, 04:10 AM
I guess when I was a kid you could could video game TV advertisements as getting me hyped up for games I already knew I wanted. It rarer cases they made me aware of a game I suddenly wanted. I followed gaming closely back then (though it was magazines instead of the internet).

Once in awhile a food advertisement will get to me. Usually in different ways. Sometimes I'll see a sit down restaurant advertisement and instead of going to the restaurant, I'll be inspired to go to the store a pick up the means to make something like what I saw.

Oh, and anything that tells me deals be going down.

Bubba
02-25-2015, 08:40 AM
Final Fantasy VII

Sephex
02-25-2015, 09:32 AM
Final Fantasy VII

I remember being so caught off guard when I saw a preview for it when I went to see a movie at an actual theater. In 1997, that just didn't happen.

Bubba
02-25-2015, 10:15 AM
Final Fantasy VII

I remember being so caught off guard when I saw a preview for it when I went to see a movie at an actual theater. In 1997, that just didn't happen.

Aww man, it would have been great seeing it at a theatre. I just remember it on TV with the FMV of Shinra No. 26 taking off and the amazing music. I had to have it!

Loony BoB
02-25-2015, 12:54 PM
Obvious answer for me: Film trailers. If they don't advertise a film it's pretty rare that I'll find out about it while it's still in the cinema. Game trailers, too.

If you count reviews and word of mouth as "free advertising", which it essentially is, then a lot of the things I spend money on are dictated by advertising.

The poll is a little misleading. I don't feel informed so much as alerted. Informed is when I look up further details after seeing the initial advertisement.

Shiny
02-28-2015, 03:22 AM
Oh I forgot, the Destiny trailer (http://youtu.be/9ZyQK6kUdWQ)was so awesome I went out and bought it shortly after seeing the trailer. I was kinda disappointed. :/

Yellow_Magic
02-28-2015, 01:14 PM
Was very close to getting a DNA test (https://www.23andme.com/en-gb/) after seeing an advert on TV....before looking up the price online. Jesus

Ceiladora
02-28-2015, 04:35 PM
I used one of those Two Can Dine Delivery ad for $17.99 for Swiss Chalet I saw on Twitter the other day. :lol: well hey, the chicken's worth it! :D

emeraldmuse
03-09-2015, 02:00 PM
Oh yes. I am actually looking at hair growth products since I am losing my heart due to some medication (hormonal related). I already have small bald spots so I would definitely want to regrow my hair. My doctor said it is okay anyway.

I am easily persuaded my advertisements but I try to research first so I would make out the most of money.

I think you mean you are losing your hair not your heart, it would be really hard to lose your heart you know. lol. kidding aside, you should consult a hair expert first before trying out any hair growing products to be sure.

black orb
03-11-2015, 09:45 PM
>>> When I was a kid the candy advertisements grabbed my attention..:luca:

Dante WolfWood
03-12-2015, 05:59 AM
I think it has more to do with indoctrination. If they air it often enough, it gets stuck in your head, so when your friend says: "I'm going to buy *insert product type*.", you'll say: "Are you going to buy *product X*?"

Or something along that line. They wouldn't spend billions on it if it didn't have any effect.

PFFT HIPPIE