PDA

View Full Version : "Yer a Wizard Harry!"

Night Fury
02-22-2015, 04:16 AM
Been re-reading Harry Potter this last week. I haven't read them in AAAGGGGESSS so it's been nice to revisit them. Pheesh is reading them too, but I've got quite the head start on him now since I've been home alone all weekend.

I finished the first one on Friday and then watched the movie yesterday - the feeeeeelz! Tell you what, the music in those films is top notch 10/10 soundtracks.

Anyway, last night I picked up Chamber of Secrets and the next thing I knew, I was half way through it and it was way past my bedtime. I forgot how funny Lockhart is - movie Lockhart doesn't do him as much justice imo, even though that's one of my favourite movies.

When was the last time you read Arry Potta?

Jinx
02-22-2015, 04:18 AM
February-March of last year! So good. ;-; If you're interested in doing a set change, I'll definitely dust off my Bellatrix set. ;)

Night Fury
02-22-2015, 04:24 AM
I couldn't choose between Hermione and Luna. Urrrghhhhhh. I'm not a big fan of Emma Watson but she does play Hermione well. Also, while I've been reading I've been hitting up the Harry Potter wiki and reading all the extended profiles of some of the characters now that Pottermore is a thing. McGonagall's man. She is so underrated.

Ooooh, we should do a big EoFF Pottermore sorting and get like, user titles for our houses and stuff. But then I can't be Hermione because I'm a sexy Slytherin.

Did you read that Tom Felton used Pottermore and was sorted into Gryffindor? He tweeted and Rowling replied, telling him she could have told him that years ago but didn't want him to come out of character. Hehe.

http://i.imgur.com/oCjUPsR.png

Omg ;_;

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/36200000/Harry-Potter-image-harry-potter-36220752-500-375.jpg

Jinx
02-22-2015, 04:53 AM
I'm also a Slytherin. :heart: I WILL get my (Pottermore, I love the design) Slytherin crest at some point.

blackmage_nuke
02-22-2015, 02:18 PM
I re-read Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality in anticipation for it's ending and re-watched all three A Very Potter Musicals recently (even though I feel a lot of jokes in the first two fall flat) but I haven't read an actual HP book in full for a while now (Sometimes I open one up to check a reference and end up reading a chapter or two)

Shauna
02-22-2015, 06:45 PM
I recently read all the ol' HP books again. I finished around the time that I finished my first Harry Potter LP?

I could be one of the many sexy Ravenclaws. Like... Luna. And uh...

...Cho?

But yeah, some of the extra stuff Pottermore has thrown our way has been cool. Some more cool than others. McGonagall's was particularly great.

Jinx
02-22-2015, 06:50 PM
McGonagall's stuff was heartbreaking. As was Remus'. I loved the story of how his parents met, though (for those of you who don't know: Remus' mom was a muggle and came upon a boggart that appeared as a man attacking her. Remus' dad saved her but didn't tell her what was going on until much later and let himself look like a hero. xD)

SquallsMist
02-22-2015, 08:32 PM
I recently read through them on my kindle in a flurry of nostalgia. I was surprised you could only get them through Pottermore, and they were more expensive than most kindle books, but I grabbed the set anyway.

It was an interesting experience and I found myself swept up in the same enthusiasm I felt when I was first reading them (I think I read everything from Book 3 upwards as they came out, the wait between them was excruciating). I've read many, better-quality books since then and while I found a lot of weaknesses I had never noticed before, the enjoyment far outweighed those weaknesses.

Del Murder
02-22-2015, 09:50 PM
If we do Harry Potter sets then I call Gilderoy.

Bubba
02-22-2015, 10:01 PM
I read them reasonably regularly. Still get excited when I start one.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
02-22-2015, 10:26 PM
Oh wow. I haven't read Harry Potter in a long time. Last time I reread them was just before the last book came out.

I did recently buy a new set of all the books because i abused my old copies to death. I had gotten rid of them because my ex wife had good copies I could read if I wanted. Now I have my own again.

noxious.sunshine
02-24-2015, 02:30 AM
We marathoned the movies a few months ago.

God they're such a major snooze fest.

Forsaken Lover
02-24-2015, 03:24 AM
That's because they're bad movies. The books are way better.

The only way to enjoy HP Movies is with RiffTrax.
PIXQwWOyp7Q

"Harry, do as I say". - The entire Harry Potter series summed up in five words".
I think this should be carved in stone or something, because god damn it, it's so true.

"STILL WAITING ON THAT WATER, HARRY!"

Night Fury
02-24-2015, 04:12 AM
Have you read the books though Noxy?

Electroshock Therapy
02-24-2015, 04:24 AM
I love the movies. :(
I actually think Half-Blood Prince was the best of the lot! The direction, the murky colours, the pacing, the dialogue, the acting... superb!

For those who don't know, starting October this year, they are re-releasing all seven books with not just new covers but new illustrated pages! They will re-release one book per year. There's a few samples from Philosopher's Stone online somewhere, and they look amazing! Movie-wise, it looks like a cross between Prisoner of Azkaban and the David Yates films. It looks more real than cartoony, but is still fantastical in nature. They look beautiful. I will happily re-buy these books!

Here's the link:
http://www.cnet.com/news/magical-images-from-the-illustrated-harry-potter-books-appear/

Night Fury
02-24-2015, 04:31 AM
I also love the movies! One would come out every Christmas from when I was about 11 so my parents used to take me to see the movies at the cinema. I remember that my school teacher had initially read us Harry Potter in class (when I was about 7 or 8 so before the movies), and I loved it so much that I asked my parents for the books and they were like "harry potter? what's that? sounds silly to me!"

Well. Guess who was reading the books one by one as well that year? Yep. The two of them would also be sat reading them non-stop as well.

My mum always has been so proud that I always liked Snape. She still tells people now "Tara always knew that Snape was a good person you know because she knew that Dumbledore trusted him so he must have been good." I can't even remember that. I don't think I thought he was a good character but that he had a lot of secrets. And she got me a Snape's wand replica for my last birthday. I left it in the UK accidentally though and I wish I'd picked it up :(

Electroshock Therapy
02-24-2015, 04:36 AM
Sorry to hear about your wand.

I don't think I ever guessed what would happen with Snape. But I'm glad he turned out to be complex.

noxious.sunshine
02-24-2015, 04:56 AM
Of course I have!

Millions of times. I can finish book 7 in 2 days easily.

Shorty
02-24-2015, 05:47 AM
Love. Finally finished reading the series last year after I abandoned it due to Harry's horrible attitude in Order of the Phoenix many years ago. It will probably be a while before I go through the series again. I marathon the films at several intervals throughout the year, and they are my go-to films for cueing sadness.

Psychotic took me to the Harry Potter studios in London last October on Halloween and it was the most magical thing of all time! :jess:

Night Fury
02-24-2015, 06:59 AM
Took the sorting quiz on Pottermore again as I lost my old login details and I've now been sorted into Ravenclaw. I feel conflicted!

Bubba
02-24-2015, 10:10 AM
God they're such a major snooze fest.

Don't your family all sleep in one room?!

*raucous laughter from the Slytherins*

I did recently buy a new set of all the books because i abused my old copies to death.

For a well-organised book, death is but the next great adventure

"STILL WAITING ON THAT WATER, HARRY!"

Sorry but Seamus tried to turn it into wine yesterday. He actually managed a weak tea before...

Have you read the books though Noxy?

A book is not something to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Words are not etched on the pages, to be perused by an invader. A book is is a complex and many-layered thing.

*Citation needed*

And she got me a Snape's wand replica for my last birthday. I left it in the UK accidentally though and I wish I'd picked it up :(

The wand chooses the country, Miss Fury. I think we can expect terrible things from you, Miss Fury. TERRIBLE yes... but terrible.

Sorry to hear about your wand.

Miss Fury's wand causes devastation with the simplest spells. We'll be sending Electroshock Therapy to the hospital wing in a matchbox.

I can finish book 7 in 2 days easily.

Don't read book seven, whatever you do!
Limericks forever you'll speak, it's true
Though it's better than book 4
which you'll read for evermore
Tricky when you're desperate for a pooh

I've now been sorted into Ravenclaw. I feel conflicted!

Yes, you were particularly difficult to place. But I stand by what I said last year: Your flatulence levels are off the chart.

Freya
02-24-2015, 04:28 PM
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/224/209/photo-HP-7.jpg
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lk50eyO91R1qa55edo1_500.jpg

etc etc

I read the first one to my niece a year ago or well part of it. But I need to read the whole series again soon. I am a bit of a potterhead.

SquallsMist
02-24-2015, 09:10 PM
Love. Finally finished reading the series last year after I abandoned it due to Harry's horrible attitude in Order of the Phoenix many years ago.

I almost did the same. It was nice to realise that Rowling was just really good at writing about a bastard of a teenage boy (as all teenage boys are bastards, at some point).

Electroshock Therapy
02-24-2015, 10:16 PM
To be fair, there was a big plot reason as to why he's angry and horrible all the time. I really like Order of the Phoenix despite (and probably because) it being so darn depressing! It was a real kick in the face after the relatively lighter books previously.

noxious.sunshine
02-25-2015, 01:44 PM
Order of Phoenix wasn't nearly as depressing as Half Blood Prince.

I still cry reading it.

Bubba
02-25-2015, 02:23 PM
Order of Phoenix wasn't nearly as depressing as Half Blood Prince.

I still cry reading it.

The Half-Blood Prince definitely has the saddest moment in all of the Harry Potter books.

Marcus Belby revealing to the Slug Club that he is not on speaking terms with his Uncle really tugs at the heartstrings.

Electroshock Therapy
02-25-2015, 02:39 PM
Potential spoilers for newcomers, beware. I tried making details vague, but still. Just in case, read with caution.

I think Half-Blood Prince's ending was pretty "eh" in comparison. It's still sad, but after the shock of Cedric and Sirius, Half-Blood Prince was pretty predictable and formulaic. Draco's story had the most impact on me because that was actually developed.

But in Order of the Phoenix, Hogwarts turns into a dark and dreary place. Everything good is immediately squashed and made worse. Horrible things start happening but the world is stubbornly ignoring them to keep their imaginary utopia. Harry is angry and depressed all the time, with good reason. He is also in shock from the death of Cedric and it haunts him throughout the whole book. I mean, crap! Cedric's death has the most emotional impact on me because it really messes Harry up! And then the next closest person Harry has to family dies. And throughout all of this, Harry is shunned and hated by the whole wizarding world. It's the most lonely book of them all. Even though they were on the run in Deathly Hallows, at least the trio had friends to help them. In Order of the Phoenix, they barely had anyone on their side.

Compare that to Half-Blood Prince. All the worst stuff happens at the end. There are sprinklings of news of death and destruction, and there a few attempted assassinations in school, but Hogwarts is generally happier than the previous year. But yes, while the ending is tragic (even if predictable), Order of the Phoenix seems tragic throughout the whole book. It's one long book of depression that almost never lets up, and its ending does nothing to help it either. The last couple books are dark and violent, but I think Order of the Phoenix is the most adult book of them all.

Shauna
02-25-2015, 03:53 PM
I think what gives OotP its truly dark feeling is because it's the turning point book. Although in GoF we have Cedric's death and the return of Voldemort, it's not all that dark overall. But OotP throws us in to, as you say, a dark and dreary Hogwarts. A place that's usually great and fun is not that at all. So there's a crazy shift between GoF and OotP.

The shift from OotP to HBP doesn't have that kind of whiplash transition. HBP is just continuing that trend, although it is significantly more light-hearted in its tone, despite it dealing with some particularly dark themes. It's also just a bridge book, which solely exists to pretty much set up DH, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Electroshock Therapy
02-26-2015, 11:11 PM
I tend to have at least two Harry Potter dreams a month. Half of them include me trying to fly a broomstick. At first, I can do it. But the more I try, the less I can fly until I can't even leave the ground anymore. That kinda sucks. Oh well. I tend to enjoy those dreams anyway.

Jinx
02-26-2015, 11:38 PM
Oh man, Harry Potter dreams are the best. I usually date one of the boys. :3

Shauna
02-26-2015, 11:43 PM
Is it Ron?

Jinx
02-26-2015, 11:56 PM
Any of the Weasley boys, tbh. Except Percy. Gross!

Bubba
02-27-2015, 10:01 AM
Oh man, Harry Potter dreams are the best. I usually date one of the boys. :3

Me too :erm:

Forsaken Lover
02-27-2015, 11:43 AM
I like guys.

But I'm afraid I'd vomit if I ever came near any of the HP guys

Believe me, I've grown up an HP fan and my GF is one too so I know the rabid Daniel Radcliffe bunch, although my girl prefers whoever the hell plays George. Also Oliver.

They are all equally awful though.

I guess the guy who played Tom Riddle in Chamber of Secrets wasn't so bad....

Quindiana Jones
03-04-2015, 08:20 AM
The last time I read all of the Harry Potters in a marathon beastmode would have been just before I left English, so about three/four years ago. The last time I read a Harry Potter was a few months ago, because I found a few in my school. Blasted through 6 and 7 in about three days. xD

Six is probably my favourite book. Fucking awful film, though, tragically. Three was the best film. :D

Bubba
03-04-2015, 10:27 AM
The last time I read all of the Harry Potters in a marathon beastmode would have been just before I left English, so about three/four years ago. The last time I read a Harry Potter was a few months ago, because I found a few in my school. Blasted through 6 and 7 in about three days. xD

Six is probably my favourite book. smurfing awful film, though, tragically. Three was the best film. :D

I really liked Six! I've enjoyed it more and more each time I've watched it. I love the Riddle flashbacks. There were quite a few light-hearted bits as well before the misery-fest which was the last two films.

I agree Prisoner of Azkaban is the best film though.

Forsaken Lover
03-16-2015, 03:06 AM
I gotta say this.

I'm gonna be a Ron/Hermione Supporter till I die.

Several months ago now JK said some (more) stupid crap about how she should have put Hermione with Harry or something.

The Internet exploded with whiners coming out of the woodwork to complain about Ron.

Well, sucks to be you, Ron and Hermione was obvious since at least Goblet of Fire. Anyone who didn't see it coming is blind. What's more, Ron and Hermione make a great couple and all the people who try toa ssert he's going to like, beat her as they grow up? Or they're gonna get divorced because they have nothing in common? Shut the smurf up.

You don't see these idiots complaining about Disney movies. HERF DERF, ALADDIN AND JASMINE HAVE NOTHING IN COMMON AND WHATS' MORE HE MADE HER FALL IN LOVE WITH HIM VIA DECEPTION. OBVIOUSLY HE IS GOING TO BE A CRUEL AND MANIPULATIVE HUSBAND. ALSO THEY COME FROM COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CLASSES AND THEIR RELATIONSHIP IS DOOMED TO FAILURE.

Morons.

People don't have to have a bajillion things in common to love each other. It's a fucking story.

Shauna
03-16-2015, 09:31 AM
Actually, she never said anything of the sort, it was everyone taking it out of context.

She pretty much said that Ron and Hermione would probably have some troubles in their marriage and would need to work to deal with their issues. Which, you know, is a pretty common thing, and given both Ron and Hermione's personalities... Yeah.

Sephex
03-16-2015, 09:42 AM
Actually, she never said anything of the sort, it was everyone taking it out of context.

She pretty much said that Ron and Hermione would probably have some troubles in their marriage and would need to work to deal with their issues.

"You can't just wave a wand to fix my broken heat, Ron!"

"CALM DOWN, BUGS BUNNY! IF IT WORKED ON YOUR TEETH MAYBE IT WILL WORK ON THAT CELLULITE!"

blackmage_nuke
03-16-2015, 02:11 PM
I still think it should have been Hermione and Krum. Krum was the first one to see her as more than a walking encyclopedia and spell-checker (pun intended) and realise and appreciate how brilliant she was, even when she wasnt as pretty as the other girls. Also their children would be ridiculously talented.

Forsaken Lover
03-17-2015, 12:53 AM
I got one more thing to lay into the HP fanbase for.

The hate for Cho Chang. It's died down in recent years but back in the day everyone gave her so much crap. It's not her fault she needed some grief counseling and all Hogwarts had to offer were jellybeans that taste like snot. Both she and Harry were just terrible for each other in Book 5 because Harry was at his Peak Whiny Teen and Cho was dealing with all sorts of issues, even if we discount Cedric's death.

So in short, everyone who says she hurt Harry/she was stupid/she was to blame for everything, shut up. Harry was just as bad for her.

Also I totally forgot about this particular bit of idiocy from the movies:

In Book Order of the Phoenix, Cho's friend betrays Dumbledore's Army.
In Film Order of the Phoenix, Cho gives them up.
The rub? Later on in the film Snape says Umbridge used up the last of his Truth Potion on Cho. AS IN CHO WAS DRUGGED INTO REVEALING THE SECRET AGAINST HER WILL.

But does Film Harry or anyone care? Not at all. They all still go on hating and ostracizing her. No scene of Harry apologizing for...well, everything.

smurf you, HP movies. I never thought I could hate the character of Harry Potter more but you succeeded.

Sephex
03-17-2015, 03:39 AM
I got one more thing to lay into the HP fanbase for.

The hate for Cho Chang. It's died down in recent years but back in the day everyone gave her so much crap. It's not her fault she needed some grief counseling and all Hogwarts had to offer were jellybeans that taste like snot. Both she and Harry were just terrible for each other in Book 5 because Harry was at his Peak Whiny Teen and Cho was dealing with all sorts of issues, even if we discount Cedric's death.

So in short, everyone who says she hurt Harry/she was stupid/she was to blame for everything, shut up. Harry was just as bad for her.

Also I totally forgot about this particular bit of idiocy from the movies:

In Book Order of the Phoenix, Cho's friend betrays Dumbledore's Army.
In Film Order of the Phoenix, Cho gives them up.
The rub? Later on in the film Snape says Umbridge used up the last of his Truth Potion on Cho. AS IN CHO WAS DRUGGED INTO REVEALING THE SECRET AGAINST HER WILL.

But does Film Harry or anyone care? Not at all. They all still go on hating and ostracizing her. No scene of Harry apologizing for...well, everything.

smurf you, HP movies. I never thought I could hate the character of Harry Potter more but you succeeded.

So you had a problem with the hairy plotter?