PDA

View Full Version : Fast Travel in Final Fantasy XV: Yay or Nay?

fat_moogle
02-24-2015, 12:28 AM
For those unaware, Noctis and his three wise men will be able to fast travel between camps that have been discovered across the map. These are the same camps where you cook, level up with experience gained etc.

Are you a fan of fast travel? Or maybe you miss the pre-FFX days where you had to roam for miles to revisit certain locations? Disssssccuuuussssss!

Fox
02-24-2015, 12:52 AM
Well, I don't see why not! Worked well enough in FFX!

Egami
02-24-2015, 12:56 AM
I have no problem with it and it can actually be rather convenient to have it.

fat_moogle
02-24-2015, 01:03 AM
Yeah, it is convenient. FFX, XII and XIV all feature fast travel in some way. XII had those crystals, but I can't really remember how frequent they were.

Egami
02-24-2015, 01:05 AM
XII had those crystals, but I can't really remember how frequent they were.

There were enough to make fast travel easy and you also had the Strahl at various locations and the aerodomes.

FFFFsephychibi
02-24-2015, 03:56 PM
Fast travel is the main reason open world games work. So yes, this is a good thing.

Psychotic
02-24-2015, 04:02 PM
Yes. If you don't like it, you don't have to use it.

Pumpkin
02-24-2015, 04:07 PM
Fast travel is always awesome

metagloria
02-24-2015, 04:34 PM
XII had those crystals, but I can't really remember how frequent they were.

There were enough to make fast travel easy and you also had the Strahl at various locations and the aerodomes.

I literally don't think I've ever used the Strahl.

Fast travel is absolutely necessary for an open-world game. I like the idea of having a handful of points, though – too many can make it kind of lame. I think XII and Xenoblade have done it best.

metagloria
02-24-2015, 04:42 PM
I mean we're all voting yes, because literally nobody wants to have to walk everywhere. So what is a reasonable alternative? What if there's no fast-travel meaning warping...but instead, you can get Nos cartridges for your car that allow you travel at like 5x normal speed? I might be in on that.

Egami
02-24-2015, 04:53 PM
I literally don't think I've ever used the Strahl.

There were a couple of spots where i used it but once you have a large enough "network" of teleport crystals it hardly matters. It was also a bit odd that there were so few regions in the southern part of the map where you could go to with the Strahl.

Mirage
02-24-2015, 05:48 PM
I mean we're all voting yes, because literally nobody wants to have to walk everywhere. So what is a reasonable alternative? What if there's no fast-travel meaning warping...but instead, you can get Nos cartridges for your car that allow you travel at like 5x normal speed? I might be in on that.

Magic cartridges, in other words.

fat_moogle
02-24-2015, 07:01 PM
Sounds like a good idea for a possible Final Fantasy XV Kart racing game :p

Del Murder
02-24-2015, 07:44 PM
No real thought needed here. Fast travel should be a mandatory feature in any open world game and like Psy said, if you don't like it, don't use it. Restricting travel is an archaic gameplay element. Personally I loved games like Xenoblade Chronicles that pretty much allowed you free travel to anywhere at any time. I hope FFXV goes that far and allows free travel starting from anywhere rather than having to run to the nearest waypoint or something. I also hope there are several camps per zone. Basically copy Xenoblade. In fact, copy most everything else from Xenoblade too.

DMKA
02-25-2015, 01:13 AM
It's sounding like levels are going to be highly inconsequential to this game, seeing as between this and the car this game seems hellbent on cutting out as many enemy encounters as possible.

I liked how you could use those teleport crystals in FFXII and the gold ceith stones in FFXIII, so this will be a nice feature.

fat_moogle
02-25-2015, 01:40 AM
I wouldn't say that levels will be inconsequential. I'm pretty sure that if you use the car all the the time to avoid enemy encounters then you're going to start struggling at some point.

Randy
03-01-2015, 10:05 AM
Seems like I'm the only one who dislikes fast travel. I much prefer just a really fast way of travelling rather than an instant way. Just give the poor guys an airship!

Tyson
03-02-2015, 01:42 AM
Seems like I'm the only one who dislikes fast travel. I much prefer just a really fast way of travelling rather than an instant way. Just give the poor guys an airship!

I agree with you, I much preferred the PS1 FF's where you could just fly places relatively quick with the airship. Fast travel's always kind of broke the immersion for me.

Vyk
03-02-2015, 02:25 AM
Everything about this game continues to remind me of Xenoblade, so I'd be down for a similar warping system. Though I certainly wouldn't complain to having an airship again, as long as I actually get to fly it. If it's just another excuse for warping here and there on the map like FFX, just don't bother

WildRaubtier
03-02-2015, 03:23 PM
Fast Travel is one of those things you absolutely NEED.... in a game such as 10 or 13. Before 10 you had an airship with lots of small areas, and you could get from point A to point B without wasting time. Compare going from the North Cave to Midgar in 7, for example, compared to Zanarkand and Besaid in 10. It's a hop, skip and a jump in the former, but hours of running without instant teleportation in the latter.

If 15 really is going the full 8 route as suggested, then instant travel is superfluous.

Personally, I favour the older way. Exploring is fun. But the existence of a World Map as a distinct area is key.

Zerobot
03-11-2015, 08:05 AM
ฺBetter have it, but it should be player's choice to use it or not.