PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Quest Heroes confirmed for Western release

Bolivar
02-25-2015, 02:57 PM
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7289/16432283787_81eec1f5cb_b.jpg

Square Enix and Sony announced today that Dragon Quest Heroes will release this year in Europe and North America for PlayStation 4. Developed by Dynasty Warriors studio Omega Force, DQ Heroes is being billed as the first full action RPG in the franchise. Series creator Yuji Horii, composer Koichi Sugiyama, and artist Akira Toriyama also worked closely with the development team.

This comes as an unexpected surprise for Dragon Quest fans, as the series has not seen Western shores in a few years now. No word if the PS3 version will make it here but the game will be available both digitally and at retail when it releases later this year

Shauna
02-25-2015, 03:43 PM
This is a misleading title as Dragon Quest Heroes is already a thing with Rocket Slime. xD But whoo!

Where's DQ7 3DS :colbert:

Skyblade
02-25-2015, 05:08 PM
After looking into it, it does change the formula up enough that I'd be interested in it.

That said, I probably won't get this. I don't have the huge familiarity with Dragon Quest that I do with Legend of Zelda, so there isn't quite the same draw. I'm not sure if these characters are drawn from previous Dragon Quest games, but I actually get the feeling that their an all-new cast (as most DQ cast members don't go past a single game). This means that there isn't a huge draw of familiar characters I know and love to pull me in, which really helped Hyrule Warriors.

Finally, while the party mechanics specifically do look interesting... I've still got a ton of stuff left to do in Hyrule Warriors. Maybe once I'm done...

Bolivar
02-25-2015, 06:25 PM
There are multiple characters from Dragon Quests IV, V, VI, and VIII all revealed for the game, with more on the way via DLC.

Didn't wanna say it in the article but you guys are kind of monsters if you don't buy this game. People get the governments they deserve and the same goes for their video game publishers. If you want Square to become a mobile developer with the occasional handheld release, much of which will never be localized, then, by all means, feel free to ignore this game. Otherwise, here's your chance to vote with your wallet and show the new management what kinds of strategies they should pursue in the new generation!

On a serious note, I'm not really into these kinds of games but from what I read, it's different from the Warriors series with a number of RPG elements to boot. I'm a huge fan of Dragon Quest and this looks gorgeous so that's more than enough for me.

I just can't believe we're getting this, Type-0 and Bloodbourne, along with a new Persona, Tales of, Disgaea, and Ys all on PS4 this year. Doesn't feel real.

Skyblade
02-25-2015, 07:17 PM
Didn't wanna say it in the article but you guys are kind of monsters if you don't buy this game. People get the governments they deserve and the same goes for their video game publishers. If you want Square to become a mobile developer with the occasional handheld release, much of which will never be localized, then, by all means, feel free to ignore this game. Otherwise, here's your chance to vote with your wallet and show the new management what kinds of strategies they should pursue in the new generation!

So, to keep Square from making only games we don't want, we should buy games we don't want?

Frankly, I'm more than happy with Square's handheld releases. Type-0 was grand, and Bravely Default is the best thing to come out of the company in decades. Maybe if we stop buying every console game they produce just to support Square, they'll actually make more of the handhelds that I actually like to play.

That said, I like the game. It's a nifty concept. I'd vastly prefer a Final Fantasy Heroes, so that I get some more familiar faces. You could actually adapt quite a bit from Dissidia and get a really solid game out of it. But it's still a great idea that I want to try at some point. When I finally get a PS4, I'll probably pick this up.

Bolivar
02-25-2015, 09:40 PM
Well, that part of my post was tongue-in-cheek, it had more to do with the fact that many people were afraid the Dragon Quest series was done in the West, with others clamoring for a return to single player home console games. This is a pretty good-looking game, a step in that direction, and a chance for them to put their money where their mouth is.

While handheld games are well and fine, Square's have gotten pretty stale for my tastes, the last one I was really into was Tactics Ogre. Like many people, I'm hoping Square starts releasing a variety of games on consoles for the West and this is an awesome opportunity to show them we can be receptive to that, provided they make quality content.

Motdrafin
02-26-2015, 02:43 AM
I am a huge Dragon Quest fan, but I'm sad this is only for the PS4. I wish it had a PS3 release like the Japanese version. If I ever get a PS4, though, I'll be sure to get this, especially to support the Dragon Quest series!

Spuuky
02-26-2015, 03:27 AM
I'll get it if there's a PS3 (or, unlikely but less unlikely than the past since FF13 and Dynasty Warriors are both on Steam now) especially a PC version. Or, I'll get it if someday I get a PS4 to console myself after the death of my wife or something.

Leigh
02-27-2015, 12:44 PM
I'm guessing they chose Dragon Quest as the franchise for cost-saving reasons, since you can pretty much exchange all the DQ characters with any generic anime face from the past 60 years. I imagine this might have been fun to play, if I was still 13 or 14 and had a group of actual real life friends to get together with for a couple of hours. But playing online with faceless, anonymous nobodies will be just as bland an experience as connecting to somebody on Dynasty Warriors.

Skyblade
02-27-2015, 01:40 PM
I'm guessing they chose Dragon Quest as the franchise for cost-saving reasons, since you can pretty much exchange all the DQ characters with any generic anime face from the past 60 years. I imagine this might have been fun to play, if I was still 13 or 14 and had a group of actual real life friends to get together with for a couple of hours. But playing online with faceless, anonymous nobodies will be just as bland an experience as connecting to somebody on Dynasty Warriors.

Yep, this is one of the big problems for me. The entire point of doing a crossover is memorable and familiar characters. The game lends itself really well to expressing traits and such. But none of the DQ characters stand out to me enough for me to want to grab the game immediately. Admittedly, I'm not incredibly familiar with the series, but the characters just didn't seem as strong as some of their other choices.

That said, Hyrule Warriors is brilliant, and Koei Tecmo did a fantastic job translating those characters, so I think we may be prejudging them harshly, and they may portray the DQ characters just as well. I really hope they keep up with the crossovers. I really, really want to see Fire Emblem Warriors.

NeoCracker
03-01-2015, 11:52 AM
...GUys, this is going to sound crazy at first, but if you think about it for a bit...

Earthbound Warriors.

Skyblade
03-02-2015, 01:39 AM
...GUys, this is going to sound crazy at first, but if you think about it for a bit...

Earthbound Warriors.

Funny, because I actually brought up Mother X Dynasty Warriors on another forum when someone was lamenting the limited utility their Ness amiibo would have.

That said, I'd rather have Mother X Persona. When it comes to games that need a crossover with Dynasty Warriors, Fire Emblem springs to mind first.

Spuuky
03-02-2015, 03:13 AM
It would make way more sense to do a SSB Warriors game than just an Earthbound game.

Skyblade
03-02-2015, 05:37 AM
It would make way more sense to do a SSB Warriors game than just an Earthbound game.

Just Earthbound, maybe. But you could get a pretty good one out of the Mother franchise. The playable cast list may be a bit smaller, but tone, themes, enemies, and overall style is definitely solid enough to work with.

NeoCracker
03-02-2015, 11:12 AM
http://www.aguywhogames.com/?p=171

Fire Emblem is to obvious a choice though. Mother is both out of no where, and something that would be entirely awesome. :p

And you are probably right on that Spuuky. :p