PDA

View Full Version : Be a part of the conversation

Madame Adequate
02-25-2015, 04:23 PM
What phrases really wind you up? I'm not talking about ones that are misused like "could care less", just ones that really make you mad.

Leigh
02-25-2015, 04:52 PM
"Sh*t the bed!"
"Has more ... than soft Mick"

I'm sure there are many more, but I heard these ones today. Therefore, rage...

Pike
02-25-2015, 05:18 PM
"carbon footprint" and "going green" are really stupid and I silently hate myself anytime I have to use them in a freelance article because it's what the client wants

Calliope
02-25-2015, 05:25 PM
"this very _________"

"at the end of the day, "

When people use other words as expletives when there are no children/customers around - "fudge!", "son of a gun!", etc.

Loony BoB
02-25-2015, 05:46 PM
I can't think of any right now, but I'm sure there are a few. I'm pretty certain I use a lot of phrases that annoy other people. For what it's worth, I use the phrase "for what it's worth" so often that I annoy myself with it, although for what it's worth I don't get annoyed with other people using it, it's just a me-thing.

Denmark
02-25-2015, 06:32 PM
every buzzphrase that gets dropped at work

Old Manus
02-25-2015, 07:02 PM
I get a lot of business speak in my line of work:

"we've got to be on-trend"
"if you need me just reach out via email"
"let me try you through to that department"
"the client has these desirements"
"share space"
"360 degree appraisal"
"we can synergise together"
[basically any dumb word made up by the 'agile community' to replace the word 'requirement']
"i'm just calling by to touch base with you"
"let's discuss this when i have fewer balls in the air"
"planning poker"

More to come.

Calliope
02-25-2015, 07:23 PM
it's "on my radar" but I haven't "squared it away" yet

noxious.sunshine
02-25-2015, 08:36 PM
Almost all the slang kids are coming up with nowadays.

On fleek, bae, etc.

On fleek really drives me insane.

sharkythesharkdogg
02-25-2015, 08:54 PM
There aren't too many phrases that bother me, but the work "like" showing up every two or three words per sentence in a person's conversation does make me focus less on what they're saying and more on keeping count of exactly how many times they use "like".

I know it's nothing new, but it's all I have. :shrug:

I suppose if I heard more of those corporate buzz phrases I'd probably lose my mind, and start smashing up the office.

escobert
02-25-2015, 09:53 PM
"piece of mind" I cannot stand tat saying.

CimminyCricket
02-26-2015, 12:55 AM
I hate hearing "you know?" and "like" and "well" when they're used frequently in a single sentence.

My most hated phrases are "Edward, no. I have a headache." and "Edward, you aren't starving and dinner will be done a few minutes."

starlet
02-26-2015, 06:06 AM
Things I hear from clients (for those that don't know, I groom dogs) :

"I want him short but not short" u wot m8? Seriously, what am I supposed to do with that?

"Get the nails as short as possible " Yep, that's kind of the idea!

*curly coated dog cones in, hasn't been groomed or brushed in 6 months* "Can you leave him as long as possible? He looks ugly shaved." Sure! While we're at it, stick 10 wads of chewed gum in your hair and try to come them out for 5 hours, then get back to me on how you felt about it. :colbert:

"You just don't want to brush him out because you're lazy" OH NO YOU DIDNT :hot:

I love my job but the people drive me insane :roll2

Iceglow
02-26-2015, 06:13 AM

Might be because it's supposed to be "Peace of mind" to describe something calming. A piece of mind would probably be pretty gross. I doubt grey matter would transfer between bodies well either. Hahaha

Business speak pisses me off no end. Though worse is that customer service phrasing that everyone tends to use. As someone who worked in a customer contact for 22 months I know exactly what they mean and I've often sat there and said so to them. Even worse when a customer service worker says "I'll be happy to do that for you sir" 1) you aren't happy you're in a shit job, 2) you aren't going to be doing me a favour, you're doing your damn job saying it like that means you're implying that you did me a favour not something required of you. 3) Half the time you aren't going to do shit, or you'll do shit wrong and I'll be calling back up.

Bubba
02-26-2015, 11:59 AM
It's not rocket science.

Night Fury
02-26-2015, 01:15 PM
Anything that's a bit 'toff-ish' but sometimes it's quite endearing too.

eKFjWR7X5dU

escobert
02-26-2015, 09:03 PM

Might be because it's supposed to be "Peace of mind" to describe something calming. A piece of mind would probably be pretty gross. I doubt grey matter would transfer between bodies well either. Hahaha

Glad you still haven't figured out I have liek 3 typos in every sentence on this forums.

Shiny
02-26-2015, 09:56 PM
There aren't too many phrases that bother me, but the work "like" showing up every two or three words per sentence in a person's conversation does make me focus less on what they're saying and more on keeping count of exactly how many times they use "like".

Yes! This bothers me so much, especially when adults do it.

Shorty
02-27-2015, 03:58 AM
Any and all corporate jargon. Corporate jargon is the worst thing in the world.

https://media.licdn.com/mpr/mpr/p/2/005/066/311/14bb0d3.jpg

this is all I hear when people use bullshit terms like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aocZo3oeNxw)

Leigh
02-27-2015, 12:32 PM

this is all I hear when people use bulltrout terms like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aocZo3oeNxw)

"End of Play"

Ugh!!

Loony BoB
02-27-2015, 01:23 PM

this is all I hear when people use bulltrout terms like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aocZo3oeNxw)
While I've used a couple of these, "synergy" is always the one that makes me giggle because of how often it comes up with stuff like this, but not so much with actual business... until I started working for an American company. And then I realised. It really WAS a thing.