PDA

View Full Version : Based on what we have seen so far, how do you feel about XV?

Egami
02-27-2015, 12:25 AM
There has been quite a lot of new footage, info, pictures and all around goodies of XV over the last couple of months; enough, I'd think for people to form a general opinion about the game itself. So, going by what we have seen so far, how do you feel about XV?

Pike
02-27-2015, 01:53 AM
I haven't really been "following it" but what little I've seen so far looks fun. Something about the car and this potentially being a buddy road trip thing just makes it look like something that will be really enjoyable to play.

metagloria
02-27-2015, 01:55 AM
I'm unbelievably excited but am definitely not getting Type-0 because I don't have a PS4. I will probably get a PS4 close to when XV eventually comes out.

Electroshock Therapy
02-27-2015, 02:41 AM
I'm excited!... But I can't play it because I don't have a PS4 and they are bloody expensive.
So I chose "Other" because the next few positive options sounds like I'm hesitant. And I'm not. It looks awesome as heck!

Freya
02-27-2015, 03:23 AM
I'm excited but i can't preorder it cause no ps4 :( so yeah i have to take the next option down.

Shorty
02-27-2015, 04:03 AM
It's a male-centered video game catering to the Entourage audience. No thank you.

Del Murder
02-27-2015, 07:05 AM
SE has been making odd choices with the direction of this franchise over the last several years, which makes me cautious. I'll probably buy it as long as it has a decent story. Lightning Returns showed me that some cool gameplay elements and fancy graphics will not be enough to sell me.

Psychotic
02-27-2015, 10:00 AM
Quietly optimistic.

Bubba
02-27-2015, 10:13 AM
Quietly optimistic.

Night Fury
02-27-2015, 10:46 AM
Not optimistic at all, to me it just doesn't have the Final Fantasy feel to it and I think they've gone for style over substance.

fat_moogle
02-27-2015, 11:25 AM
I'm excited, and I have pre-ordered Type-0 but not specifically for the demo. It's a nice bonus though ^^

From what we've seen I think it's going to be a fun game. I watched the cave / dungeon video last night and the gameplay, for an incomplete battle system, looks great. Add to that, the demo is only a part of the Duscae region, and the full game is meant to be 10x the size of the ENTIRE Duscae region. Lets just hope the stroy holds up, really intrigued to see where that goes.

Tyson
02-27-2015, 12:47 PM
Preordered Type-0 for the demo months ago, and I have the day off work when it comes out :P

I haven't really enjoyed a Final Fantasy since X. That being said, XV is my most anticipated game of the generation so far.

It looks right up my alley,

The Modern Setting (8 is my fav and the modern setting is a big part of that)
Interesting Characters (characters actually seem to have backstory and character development for a change)
Relationships (Both romantic and friendly seem far more fleshed out then what we saw in 12 or 13)
Intriguing Story (the conflict between the different nations seems really interesting so far)
Open World
Enemy Designs (getting HD versions of classic enemies like Garula, Naga, Goblins, Catoblepas)
Battle System (I love the KH battle system! A more complex version of that in a FF? HELLS YES!)

XV definitely has what it takes to be my favourite game in over a decade......that being said it's also Square Enix's last opportunity to convince me they can make a decent game. If it sucks I'll stick with WRPG's :P

Fox
02-27-2015, 01:53 PM
It's excited me for sure. I think there's real potential for greatness there, but I also have a lot of concerns.

Primarily, things like:
"So is there going to be an airship in the final game?"
"Well, we're going to continue looking at that and taking feedback from fans"
"So, is this the final battle system?"
"There are still some systems that have not been implemented, and we'll be taking a lot of feedback based on the demo"
"So, fast travel eh?"
"Yes well, we'll be taking a lot of fee-"

I'm sorry, when is this game actually coming out? Because there seems to be a heck of a lot of very important design decisions still up in the air depending on "feedback from the fans". I remember the E3 2013 trailer, it seemed so interesting, so coherent, such a strong vision. But everything surrounding Episode Duscae has kinda called that into question again. I also don't think it helps that there's been so much discussion about going on a road trip with your buddies I have very little idea what the actual premise of the story is. Remember that old dude from the E3 trailer who wore a cape? Who's he? What kingdom is Noctis prince of again? We're going on this road trip to... where are we going again? That stuff with the city being attacked by Leviathan, Magitek armour, buildings collapsing, the daring escape from a raging tsunami... what's going on with that side of things?

So, I am looking forward to it. But all the focus has been on this big explorable field for too long now, and I've lost all sense of context. I'll hopefully feel much better when I have some of that context back.

Tyson
02-27-2015, 02:54 PM
It's excited me for sure. I think there's real potential for greatness there, but I also have a lot of concerns.

Primarily, things like:
"So is there going to be an airship in the final game?"
"Well, we're going to continue looking at that and taking feedback from fans"
"So, is this the final battle system?"
"There are still some systems that have not been implemented, and we'll be taking a lot of feedback based on the demo"
"So, fast travel eh?"
"Yes well, we'll be taking a lot of fee-"

I'm sorry, when is this game actually coming out? Because there seems to be a heck of a lot of very important design decisions still up in the air depending on "feedback from the fans". I remember the E3 2013 trailer, it seemed so interesting, so coherent, such a strong vision. But everything surrounding Episode Duscae has kinda called that into question again. I also don't think it helps that there's been so much discussion about going on a road trip with your buddies I have very little idea what the actual premise of the story is. Remember that old dude from the E3 trailer who wore a cape? Who's he? What kingdom is Noctis prince of again? We're going on this road trip to... where are we going again? That stuff with the city being attacked by Leviathan, Magitek armour, buildings collapsing, the daring escape from a raging tsunami... what's going on with that side of things?

So, I am looking forward to it. But all the focus has been on this big explorable field for too long now, and I've lost all sense of context. I'll hopefully feel much better when I have some of that context back.

I honestly think they just don't want to disappoint people. I'm guessing Airships were ditched ages ago (there might be a teleport menu like FFX) They just don't want to say it because the fans will be screaming "BUT THEY PROMISED!!!"

Same with the battle system, I'm guessing the one in the demo will basically be the final product (of course without as many weapons etc...) But as long as they say it's in progress no one can write angry articles about how it sucks as soon as the demo hits.

Kind of deceptive on there part, but if the games really gonna come out within a year of the demo (which I believe it will) there is no time to add major functionality like a fully functional airship that can traverse the entire map.

metagloria
02-27-2015, 03:08 PM
Ugh, I hate to say it, but this the era we live in...

They'll probably release the game without an airship, then build the functionality later and release airship DLC.

As much as I loathe DLC, I'm not even sure that's a bad idea. It gets us the game quicker, lets us enjoy the world for a while, and then adds the thing we all want.

Tyson
02-27-2015, 03:23 PM
They'll probably release the game without an airship, then build the functionality later and release airship DLC.

I don't know If they could even do that :S , the way Tabata talks about it is the game worlds skybox doesn't even go up high enough to accommodate airships. There's the enemy dropships of course, but they only fly a couple metres above the treeline (or bird height as they describe it).

A proper airship would have to be more like the planes in GTA V. In order for that to work you have to go hundreds of metres into the air, which involves replacing all the textures/objects on the ground with lower poly ones as you get higher and higher. Not only that, but if you fly low the game has to be able to render all the beautiful environments/monsters while you fly past stuff at 200 km/h (which would be quite a feat as getting normal gameplay to a steady 30fps is enough of a challenge)

Point is, it's a major engine upgrade, would be like adding planes to Need for Speed via a patch, It's really something you have to put in at the start of development.

Loony BoB
02-27-2015, 03:43 PM
I'll get it on release, no question. Unlike the poll options, that doesn't dictate how excited I am. I'm cautiously optimistic. There are things I'm concerned about, but I'm confident I will enjoy the game for the game that it is. People spend too much time worrying about whether this will be the game they exactly want out of an FF game without stopping to wonder if it will be the game they want outside of an FF game. For me, it's very much the latter but I'm going to wait and see on the former. My biggest concerns are the storyline, the battle system feel and the lack of 'fantasy' atmosphere. But I'm crossing my fingers that at least two of these things will click for me. If so, I'm confident I'll enjoy this game.

EDIT: Actually, I have one other concern, and that is fans. I always worry that fans of x game will drag this game down because it's not x game. The curse of an innovative, varied series.

Pike
02-27-2015, 03:50 PM
I guess I should've mentioned that I don't have a next gen console so who knows when I can get around to this.

I actually see the bit about how it's a "bro game" as a plus for me; it just looks like it's going to be the gaming equivalent of a buddy movie and that sounds mega fun to me.

Del Murder
02-27-2015, 08:02 PM
Yeah I've come to terms with the bro aspect of it. As long as there are strong female NPCs to create a balance, and the actual bros are well developed characters and at least not entirely tropes.

Egami
02-27-2015, 08:08 PM
I remember the E3 2013 trailer, it seemed so interesting, so coherent, such a strong vision. But everything surrounding Episode Duscae has kinda called that into question again. I also don't think it helps that there's been so much discussion about going on a road trip with your buddies I have very little idea what the actual premise of the story is. Remember that old dude from the E3 trailer who wore a cape? Who's he? What kingdom is Noctis prince of again? We're going on this road trip to... where are we going again? That stuff with the city being attacked by Leviathan, Magitek armour, buildings collapsing, the daring escape from a raging tsunami... what's going on with that side of things?

I remember that trailer and all those things too. I am hoping that they are sort of holding off on that for now until the demo is released (since the demo won't feature any of those things) and then we will get a more holistic view of the game in the form of gameplay footage and such. I certainly hope so because at this point, comparisons to other upcoming titles are inevitable and what Monolith Soft and CD Projekt are doing to showcase their upcoming games (Xenoblade X and The Witchter III respectively) is much more compelling and informative as it gives you a better sense of what the game has to offer; and those games haven't been in development for as long as XV has.

For example here is a gameplay demonstration of Xenoblade X from 8 months ago...

qKKiODpn6Fg

And one of The Witcher III from 6 months ago...

N4ony2r0QFs

Of course, I am more excited for XV than I am for these games, but shouldn't we be seeing this level of footage and detail about XV at this point?

Fox
02-27-2015, 08:18 PM
Game development can be tricky... it's hard to know how much they're deliberately keeping back that is fine and how much is genuinely not done. Sometimes you have big chunks of a polished game done very early on that you build up from, and sometimes you have quite a ropey looking game which you can't really show off for about 90% of the development and then it all comes together in the last few months.

So it's hard to draw any conclusions.

BTW I was reading above what you guys were thinking about the airship. It occurs to me if they did it in a X kinda way, it probably wouldn't be the hardest thing to add in somewhere. It was just a glorified fast travel hub there, and we already know they've got fast travel in the game.

Leigh
02-27-2015, 08:42 PM
I will get it on release, as I do with every Final Fantasy. But I can't help but feel just a little indifferent about it. But pretty much all I have seen from it is wandering through thick grass, a bit of a forest and fighting some baddies in a cave. That is all I know about this game...oh and a lot of tapping 63276

FFFFsephychibi
02-27-2015, 11:03 PM
Not optimistic at all, to me it just doesn't have the Final Fantasy feel to it and I think they've gone for style over substance.

I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but I get a little confused every time I read 'this doesn't feel like final fantasy'

And then I found this image: (http://i.imgur.com/w2BWWPW.jpg)

fat_moogle
02-28-2015, 12:38 AM

I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but I get a little confused every time I read 'this doesn't feel like final fantasy'

Looks like Final Fantasy XV is a Final Fantasy title after all :p

Tyson
02-28-2015, 12:40 AM

I think it feels more like a Final Fantasy then any game since IX. They have purposely gone back and copied everything from the PS1 trilogy to appease people. That's the entire foundation Versus was based on. With the exception of the battle system it is basically VII, VIII or IX with prettier graphics. Atleast that's what they're aiming for.

Shauna
02-28-2015, 12:07 PM
That is the dumbest image. I think I could do literally the same thing for any FF after FF9. Especially ALL THE BOOBS! That's definitely something that makes FF an FF. :roll2

The "Final Fantasy feel" is something vague and means different things to different people, so I never understand what that means as an objective value.

Fox
02-28-2015, 01:00 PM
Also, that "Final Fantasy Feel" is something I can't make a judgement on based on trailers and screenshots. I have to immerse myself in the world, the characters, the mechanics.

fat_moogle
02-28-2015, 03:28 PM
I agree with Fox. Need to play it before I can make the decision on that "Final Fantasy Feeling". But I'm getting a good vibe from what I've seen.

Also I don't get how FFXV is "basically FFVII, VIII and IX".

FFFFsephychibi
02-28-2015, 03:36 PM
That is the dumbest image. I think I could do literally the same thing for any FF after FF9. Especially ALL THE BOOBS! That's definitely something that makes FF an FF. :roll2

The focus was not boobs.

My whole point is, the only thing this series keeps consistent is call backs to it's classic games and certain gameplay fomulas.

Which a lot of fans correlate with if "this is a final fantasy or not"

If those things aren't in, the fan base looses it's trout.

If Square puts those same things in, but they are slightly different, people still aren't happy and saying overall the 'final fantasy feeling is not here'

So no one wins, and everyone is just angry.

The "Final Fantasy feel" is something vague and means different things to different people, so I never understand what that means as an objective value.

Also, that "Final Fantasy Feel" is something I can't make a judgement on based on trailers and screenshots. I have to immerse myself in the world, the characters, the mechanics.

Which I completely agree with.

We have 15 games. 15 Different worlds, 15 different stories with different characters. We all know they are different, so it shouldn't be a surprise if one doesn't feel like the other, because they aren't the same games.

FFXV has FF1-ALL vibes imo.

Fynn
02-28-2015, 05:44 PM
I'm so frick-frackitty excited that I refuse to look at anymore news, so as not to spoil the fun for myself!

But I don't have a PS4 :(

Pike
02-28-2015, 10:56 PM
I realize this is all opinion but it looks SUPER Final Fantasy-ish to me, something about the character design just screams FF to me ahaha. You can identify an FF character from like a mile away.

Shauna
03-01-2015, 01:05 AM
The focus was not boobs.

If they didn't want it to be a focus point, they wouldn't have included it. The fact that it was a point the image maker felt was necessary at all in the image is enough reason for me to roll my eyes at it.

Randy
03-01-2015, 10:01 AM
Lol boobs isn't a Final Fantasy thing. It's just a Japanese video game thing. They always have the 'boobs character' in the Tales series too.

Tyson
03-01-2015, 12:59 PM

The open world, The realism (8 was probably the most realistic before XV came along) the car, the romance between Stella and Noctis, Tabata actually stating thing like

“For 15 we’re very much trying to make a big expansive open world and in a way move back to that more primitive, more visceral, direct emotional satisfaction you get from just walking around the world and exploring, finding new areas and things.
“It’s moved away from the very story-driven, character-driven ideas that were present in a series like XIII, which basically drags the player around to places where the story needs them to go. It’s basically moving back to games closer to 8, or maybe the ones previous to 8 where you’ve got an open world to explore. We’re definitely trying to go in that direction with 15.”

"The kind of Final Fantasy I want to make, it’s one where you feel this is a real living breathing world and these things could exist in real life."

They definitely seem to be forgetting everything from IX onwards, which is a great idea imo!

Fox
03-01-2015, 01:20 PM
Hope they don't forget too much about IX! As we've established, IX is objectively the best Final Fantasy and democratically the second best Final Fantasy! So we don't want to ignore it for sure!

fat_moogle
03-01-2015, 02:47 PM

The open world, The realism (8 was probably the most realistic before XV came along) the car, the romance between Stella and Noctis

“For 15 we’re very much trying to make a big expansive open world and in a way move back to that more primitive, more visceral, direct emotional satisfaction you get from just walking around the world and exploring, finding new areas and things
Ok, I see your point about the realism. Other than that though I still don't think we know enough about FFXV to say it's "basically" anything other than FFXV. We have next to no info on the real ins and outs of FFXV's story, so I just think it's hard to compare the romance between Squall and Rinoa to Noctis and a character that might or might not even exist anymore. As for the open world, that was relevant for all games before VIII as well.

Hope they don't forget too much about IX! As we've established, IX is objectively the best Final Fantasy and democratically the second best Final Fantasy! So we don't want to ignore it for sure!

Here, here! Or hear, hear? Either or xD

FFFFsephychibi
03-04-2015, 02:15 PM

9 is the best :P

Loony BoB
03-04-2015, 06:47 PM
I remember the E3 2013 trailer, it seemed so interesting, so coherent, such a strong vision. But everything surrounding Episode Duscae has kinda called that into question again. I also don't think it helps that there's been so much discussion about going on a road trip with your buddies I have very little idea what the actual premise of the story is. Remember that old dude from the E3 trailer who wore a cape? Who's he? What kingdom is Noctis prince of again? We're going on this road trip to... where are we going again? That stuff with the city being attacked by Leviathan, Magitek armour, buildings collapsing, the daring escape from a raging tsunami... what's going on with that side of things?

I remember that trailer and all those things too. I am hoping that they are sort of holding off on that for now until the demo is released (since the demo won't feature any of those things) and then we will get a more holistic view of the game in the form of gameplay footage and such. I certainly hope so because at this point, comparisons to other upcoming titles are inevitable and what Monolith Soft and CD Projekt are doing to showcase their upcoming games (Xenoblade X and The Witchter III respectively) is much more compelling and informative as it gives you a better sense of what the game has to offer; and those games haven't been in development for as long as XV has.

For example here is a gameplay demonstration of Xenoblade X from 8 months ago...

qKKiODpn6Fg

And one of The Witcher III from 6 months ago...

N4ony2r0QFs

Of course, I am more excited for XV than I am for these games, but shouldn't we be seeing this level of footage and detail about XV at this point?

Just gonna pop in quickly and point out that these two games are both coming out in the next couple of months. Right now, FFXV doesn't have a release date. I agree with anyone who says that FFXV has been in development for too long, but regardless of that until we have a release date for FFXV and we're within a couple of months of it being released, then we shouldn't expect the kind of stuff you're seeing in those trailers. The trailers we have seen recently are for the demo alone, which doesn't feature towns etc. and will basically be designed for people to get a feel for the controls and, more importantly, to sell copies of Type-0 to the masses. :p In the end, it's just a very minor demo.

metagloria
03-04-2015, 07:22 PM
The focus was not boobs.

If they didn't want it to be a focus point, they wouldn't have included it. The fact that it was a point the image maker felt was necessary at all in the image is enough reason for me to roll my eyes at it.

I felt it was included more in response to the Cindy backlash of "Oh wow look how scantily clad she is". The image reminds us that scantily clad women in FF is not news. It's just that this time she's in HD.

FFFFsephychibi
03-04-2015, 09:32 PM
The focus was not boobs.

I felt it was included more in response to the Cindy backlash of "Oh wow look how scantily clad she is". The image reminds us that scantily clad women in FF is not news. It's just that this time she's in HD.
:handshake::bro::beer::roll::squeeze::chocobo::moogle::tonberry::cactuar::quina::praisethesun::cheer ::smash:

Ayen
03-04-2015, 10:35 PM
The focus was not boobs.

And no one involved in said 'backlash' thought it was anything new either. On the contrary, the fact that it wasn't news is what further fueled said backlash to begin with. So mentioning that there were scantily clad women in the past is pointless as it only highlights the glaring problem that people are trying to shine a light on in the first place.

Shauna
03-04-2015, 10:51 PM
All I know is that I already wasn't impressed with the image and its picking and choosing what it wanted to show off as "totes Final Fantasy!!!11!" and then when they threw in the boobs thing, my eyes rolled themselves away into orbit. :p

If someone honestly thinks that boobs is something that makes a Final Fantasy game a Final Fantasy game... I just don't even know why it had to be included.

FFFFsephychibi
03-05-2015, 01:59 AM
All I know is that I already wasn't impressed with the image and its picking and choosing what it wanted to show off as "totes Final Fantasy!!!11!" and then when they threw in the boobs thing, my eyes rolled themselves away into orbit. :p

If someone honestly thinks that boobs is something that makes a Final Fantasy game a Final Fantasy game... I just don't even know why it had to be included.

Noooo boobs is not what makes FF a FF it's just saying the same thing as the car comparison: Cars have been in FF before, so have boobs.

Are we already forgetting the "Since when has cars been in a final fantasy?!?!?!?!" comment all over the internet?
Seriously every damn article I read about the game someone somewhere makes the comment, that's deserving of a true eye roll :|

Shauna
03-05-2015, 08:32 AM
The image was showing why FFXV "feels" more like an old FF game.

Basically, nobody will be able to defend its inclusion in this image, because it is completely unnecessary.

DanielCLFFF13
03-05-2015, 02:15 PM
Final Fantasy XV has the feel of Final Fantasy VII Dirge of Cerberus feel in it combine with Type-0 and mix with Kingdom Hearts a bit... I mean the Action-RPG stuff, not the shooting for FFVII DoC.
Graphic is absolutely stunning... Of course... Next Gen graphic :D
I still don't understand how the battle system really works though. I think if I could guess. Final Fantasy XV become more of an Action-RPG rather than the classic Final Fantasy. Not it's like a bad thing or anything. It's good actually. But I hope they will make some more ATB system for future Final Fantasy game.
I already got some line up of Action-RPG, but I like classic Final Fantasy better (I mean the ATB system and stuff).
Wait Action-RPG or Action-JRPG?

But this is my opinion :)

Edit : I hope they release it for PC too :crying: Don't want to go out of topic to much :p

FFFFsephychibi
03-05-2015, 04:46 PM

Basically, nobody will be able to defend its inclusion in this image, because it is completely unnecessary.

Yes I get your point, and I do completely agree the inclusion of the boobs was completely unnecessary to drive the point home. However, I'm not defending its inclusion, It's literally the last comparison, it's not focused or prioritized, words are not even used. I did not post that image specifically because the boobs were there.

I posted it because of the other 14 comparisons the cars, the world map, etc you get it ;) And I didn't make the image so it's not my right to change it. I just simply posted it because I thought it was a good summed up comparison showing elements of older FF in FFXV (excluding the boob part)

Lawr
03-05-2015, 09:05 PM
Holy crap are you guys gonna start arguing about boobs again?

Fox
03-05-2015, 10:09 PM

Yes I get your point, and I do completely agree the inclusion of the boobs was completely unnecessary to drive the point home. However, I'm not defending its inclusion, It's literally the last comparison, it's not focused or prioritized, words are not even used. I did not post that image specifically because the boobs were there.

I'm pretty certain that last comparison was a joke one. You know, post something absurd at the bottom of a vaguely serious point to give it false legitimacy for comic effect? I don't think there was any message behind it, Cidney's lack of apparel is simply something that has been talked about a lot so it was easy pickings for a cheap shot. If anything it was probably poking fun at the idea that scantily clad women might have been a 'core feature of Final Fantasy'.

FFFFsephychibi
03-07-2015, 02:38 AM
Holy crap are you guys gonna start arguing about boobs again?

I was gonna say, but I didn't want to be too mean, don't we already have a 30 page thread here about Cidneys boobs :|......................

I'm pretty certain that last comparison was a joke one. You know, post something absurd at the bottom of a vaguely serious point to give it false legitimacy for comic effect? I don't think there was any message behind it, Cidney's lack of apparel is simply something that has been talked about a lot so it was easy pickings for a cheap shot. If anything it was probably poking fun at the idea that scantily clad women might have been a 'core feature of Final Fantasy'.

Yeah that's basically what it is. In other words NBD.

Also, my personal honest opinion and feeling about FFXV based on all the things I've seen so far: I said this 9 years ago, and I still feel the same way, this is still my 'dream game'

If anyone else on this forum is beyond ecstatic about FFXV, please message me, I'd love to talk to you.

Christmas
03-19-2022, 06:13 AM
The royal edition should be the initial release. Holy crap, the initial release is shit. It is like Darth Vader never telling Luke that he is his father and it just skip straight to the throne room where Luke confronts the emperor. :mad2: