PDA

View Full Version : Why does everyone think Luna is Stella?

Fynn
03-05-2015, 09:07 PM
I'm pretty sure one of the interviews mentioned Luna is a new character, and yet I see people speculating that Luna is actually Stella all the time. I mean, they look alike, but they're different, clearly.

So why don't we use this thread to the discussion we had here some time ago. What do you think happened to Stella, since she hasn't appeared in the trailers for a while (though to be fair, no characters from the whole Lucis confrontation have appeared lately, so I think it's safe to assume she's there with them). A popular theory that I liked was that Luna and Stella are sisters, both part of that whole Tenebrae or whatchamacallit, and that Luna was Noctis' betrothed, but is actual love interest and the childhood friend that shares his gift is Stella.

Thoughts?

Freya
03-05-2015, 10:03 PM
probably cause they look alike

http://media.tumblr.com/7021ded9c45720c3a3179b55951e6e16/tumblr_inline_ncmy5yAuky1rmr4ga.png

they have the whole star theme name thing

I think they are sisters.

Fox
03-05-2015, 10:06 PM
What do you think happened to Stella, since she hasn't appeared in the trailers for a while

This is why people think Luna is Stella. Because Luna has showed up, Stella hasn't, and they look similar. Similar enough to be well within the realms of 'character redesign'. Now, I don't think they're the same. Seems weird to get people invested in a character just to arbitrarily change their name. I concur that they are probably sisters.

Pumpkin
03-05-2015, 10:50 PM
I'm still holding out for info on brunette girl. Kinda worried she's going to get dropped or something :-/

Not sure what happened to Stella. They seem to want to focus on the core gentlemen characters

DMKA
03-05-2015, 11:49 PM
Probably because of the fact that she looks extremely similar to Stella and we haven't seen or heard of Stella since the game got rebranded, unless you count that one image of all the faces from the end of the E3 2013 trailer.

Although I suppose the little girl in the beginning of that same trailer who's shown running with Noctis and the voice we hear telling him to live his own life etc. could be Stella. Or Luna. Who knows.

JunkoEve
03-06-2015, 01:38 AM
In my opinion,

Luna is Noctis' betrothed/engaged lover. She is also his majesty the prince's childhood friend and their families are politically tied, with strong alliance. However, at an early point in the game, Luna's kingdom was either destroyed or taken over by (I presume) Niflheim. After that she has been on the run for the remainder of the game. Noctis has not met her ever since.

When the peace treaty was established, Noctis meets a new blonde haired girl at the party (with Noct in a suit) named Stella. The familiarity of the hair makes Noct 'think' it was Luna. Thus he was heading towards her on the upper floor in front of that Etro Goddess painting. But, when she turned around, there was this moment where Noct finally realized it was a different girl altogether (that slow mow scene where she turns). Thus, the conversation becomes awkward. I can actually see Noct turning away immediately as Stella began to speak to him. This is an indication of 2 things:
1) He got the wrong person and
2) Nomura has stated that Noct is very 'shy' towards people who are not close to him, making him reluctant at first to speak to her. But he easily warms up to her to cover up that shyness and tries to 'act cool' by splurting jokes about giving 'nightmares' to her.

As for Stella, the scene where they were about to fight in a standoff is probably while Lucis was under attack. Stella either wants to take the Crystal for the benefit of Tenebrae or as allegiance towards Niflheim. Thus, making her reluctant to fight him, but inevitably has to.

At this point also, I think Noct defeated her in that battle. She says something like, "don't worry about me, live your own life'..... Thus, establishing that factor where they are 'unfortunate' enemies.

I also imagine, once Noct was on the run, Luna contacted him (finally) and asked to meet in Altissia to give him 'something'. I don't know, but I'm going to assume Altissia is a part of the country Accordo (Venice themed country with Leviathan), because the shot with Luna was taken there. There Noct and co met Luna.......and....

There's more to the theory.......but I'll leave it here for now......

Ayen
03-06-2015, 04:53 AM
They're part of the Les Enfants Terribles project.

Leigh
03-06-2015, 07:09 AM
Stella is an awful name anyway. Sounds like someone you would speak to in your payroll department.

Fynn
03-06-2015, 08:32 AM
Probably because of the fact that she looks extremely similar to Stella and we haven't seen or heard of Stella since the game got rebranded, unless you count that one image of all the faces from the end of the E3 2013 trailer.

Although I suppose the little girl in the beginning of that same trailer who's shown running with Noctis and the voice we hear telling him to live his own life etc. could be Stella. Or Luna. Who knows.

Like I said, we haven't seen any of the evil old folks since E32013 either, and yet no ones questioning their existence.

Fox
03-06-2015, 10:13 AM

Like I said, we haven't seen any of the evil old folks since E32013 either, and yet no ones questioning their existence.

And their names are...?

Nobody's questioning the existence of the character we knew as Stella, just her name

Sephiroth
03-06-2015, 11:06 AM
Because, as I have once mentioned, she looks pretty much the same as the changed version of Stella except some extra differences. And that can come from her at least being related to her orher being Stella but being a bit changed once again.

Fynn
03-06-2015, 11:21 AM

And there names are...?

Nobodies questioning the existence of the character we knew as Stella, just her name

Sorry - I'm really sleep-deprived lately :exdee:

Anyway, I think my point stands, I doubt they would change the name so unceremoniously. I'm still pretty convinced they're different people. Mostly because he similarity between the two doesn't seem like a simple redesign for me. Her eyes are slightly smaller, the jawline is different and the nose is really unmistakably something else. I think they're siblings, but we'll just have to wait and see. Hope it's sooner rather than later.

Tyson
03-06-2015, 11:38 AM
I've always thought they were the same character, she just got a slight redesign like most of the game did moving from PS3 to PS4.

It would be kinda weird if they end up being twins, they dress far too alike. Big Boss and Solid Snake are easier to tell apart then these two! Would be super confusing for people unless they do more to differentiate them.

Loony BoB
03-06-2015, 11:45 AM
I think and hope that they will be different characters. Not certain though, for the reasons others have mentioned. Personally I like Stella better, both name and appearance and the fact that she seems to have a bit more confidence/assertiveness and I like that in my Final Fantasy characters.

Ayen
03-06-2015, 10:03 PM
I think and hope that they will be different characters. Not certain though, for the reasons others have mentioned. Personally I like Stella better, both name and appearance and the fact that she seems to have a bit more confidence/assertiveness and I like that in my Final Fantasy characters.

I agree.
Everyone: -gasp-
What?

Lawr
03-06-2015, 10:15 PM
Stella is an awful name anyway. Sounds like someone you would speak to in your payroll department.

I agree the name Stella is kind of plain but it has obvious importance, and at least Stella is an actual name. For a "fantasy based on reality," the names Noctis, Ignis, and Gladiolus, (I think Prompto would be a cool nickname!) are easily ten-smurfing-thousand times dumber. But so far I think all of the main characters' names have some story-based importance, or it gives you an idea of what their personalities will be like.

Kozmos
03-07-2015, 07:38 AM
I'm almost positive Luna and Stella are two different people (unless, by some chance, Stella goes by Luna when she's undercover or something ala Garnet/Dagger)

1. If she was renamed, it would be a lot less controversial for them to just tell everyone instead of letting speculation run rampant.
2. Every time anyone in the development team is asked about her they always laugh and tell us to please wait a little longer.
3. This recent exchange on FFXV Lead Designer Wan Hazmer's blog:

Meltdown
03-18-2015, 03:36 PM
The appeal of a given name is pretty subjective though, and maybe it depends on what culture you're from I guess. 'Stella' in Latin means star, so it's a pretty nice name in that context, and given that a lot of FF characters are named after sky/astronomy based terms, I think it fits well within the overall FF universe.

Tyson
03-21-2015, 11:29 AM
So after my time with the demo I'd say it's safe to say that Luna IS Stella. It was simply a name change.

Unless they were both at the same place when the city was attacked, they both barely made it out of there, both of there middle names are Nox and only one of them was mentioned on the radio after the attack for some reason (which would be odd if they were sisters)

Fox
03-21-2015, 02:22 PM
So after my time with the demo I'd say it's safe to say that Luna IS Stella. It was simply a name change.

Unless they were both at the same place when the city was attacked, they both barely made it out of there, both of there middle names are Nox and only one of them was mentioned on the radio after the attack for some reason (which would be odd if they were sisters)

I don't think anything we say in the demo contradicts the 'They are sisters' hypothesis. Sisters will share names. They're from Tenebrae, not Lucis, so it makes perfect sense that only one of them was there, the other is still safe at home.

Fynn
03-21-2015, 02:47 PM

I don't think anything we say in the demo contradicts the 'They are sisters' hypothesis. Sisters will share names. They're from Tenebrae, not Lucis, so it makes perfect sense that only one of them was there, the other is still safe at home.

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j364/thegoldentrio1/THIS.gif

Psychotic
03-21-2015, 04:30 PM
The "sisters" hypothesis is silly, Duscae made it obvious they're the same person. I don't know why people are so precious about Stella, a character we have seen what, two minutes of footage of, if that, in trailers? And she's still in the game! They changed her name, that's all!

Fynn
03-21-2015, 04:38 PM
Because a lot of hype has been built around Stella and there was no mention of the name being changed. Once Luna showed up in the trailer, it'd be simple to just say "Yes, that it Stella. Her name is Luna now."

I'm sorry. I have not played the demo, so I don't know. But I have seen that ending cutscene on Youtube. I'm not saying Stella is not Luna, but that video is no proof that they are the same person. Neither is the fact that Stella wasn't mentioned even once in the demo.

All this "no comment" business like mentioned here ("http://www.novacrystallis.com/2014/12/is-stella-still-in-final-fantasy-xv-square-enix-wont-comment/) is really confusing, so it's really no wonder people are discussing it.

Fox
03-21-2015, 04:47 PM
The "sisters" hypothesis is silly, Duscae made it obvious they're the same person. I don't know why people are so precious about Stella, a character we have seen what, two minutes of footage of, if that, in trailers? And she's still in the game! They changed her name, that's all!

I don't see how Duscae made it 'obvious' at all, as I said what we found doesn't contradict the sisters idea in the slightest. The thing that makes it most likely that Luna/Stella are the same person is the fact they look nearly identical if you compare the E3 2013 and TGS 2014 trailers. Operative word there though is 'nearly' - they do seem to be two slightly different designs.

I agree it's silly to be precious, I don't know why I am, yet here we are. Do you have any idea how long it took me to accept 'Aeris' was actually 'Aerith'? This is a much more significant change!

It just seems really odd to change a character's name like that so substantially. Maybe I just prefer the idea of there being two interesting characters for the price of one? Who knows. I think it's more the confusion that bugs me, if Tabata came out and said "Yeah we changed her name she's Lunafreya now" then I could just say "OK fair enough I liked the name Stella but whatever" and start getting used to it. But no, he actually just said "oooh well you'll just have to wait and see!" so of course​ I'm going to speculate wildly! :)

Loony BoB
03-21-2015, 04:50 PM
Wouldn't be surprised either way. Allegedly (can't verify at the mo') Stella has a sun on her neck and Luna has a moon on hers, so either they just changed the mark on their neck because of the name change or else they could be sisters, could be the same person (that "changes" between two characters), could be some kind of special person of some other kind, dunno. I hope they are both in but again, wouldn't be surprised if that won't end up being the case.

Fox
03-21-2015, 04:57 PM
I also hope it's sisters just so we can get some kind of Shakespeare level love triangle going on. Noctis, crown Prince of Lucius, arranged to be wed to the prominent noblewoman Lunafreya Nox Fleuret of Tenebrae. Noctis, however, longs for the affections of Lunafreya's sister Stella, who for unknown reasons has become an agent of Niflheim - the nation that laid waste to Noctis's home.

Whether it be in game or in fanfic this is gonna happen one way or another :lol:

Fynn
03-21-2015, 04:57 PM
My guess is Stella is in the game, but there must be a reason why no one is allowed to talk about her.

Perhaps due to the... events mentioned in the ending, Luna takes up the name Stella as an alter ego? I would still rather they were sisters, but I can smell a twist coming, considering they're all so hush hush about it.

Scotty_ffgamer
03-21-2015, 05:06 PM
I imagine the lack of discussion has to do with it just being some sort of significant plot point. The possibility is there for Luna and Stella to be the same person, but the name change happens because of a significant event in the character's life.Luna could be the friend of Noctis, but events lead to her becoming Stella, more of an antagonist (I'm fuzzy on it all, but I feel like Stella was kind of seen in a confusing "could be a friend, but is also an enemy" kind of role).

They could be sisters and have something similar going on to Basch and his brother.

It could be that Luna/Stella has multiple personalities for all we know.

I kind of am getting the feeling that they are the same person, but I don't care either way. I do think the name Stella is still going to be present and there will be some twist/important reason for the two names. We won't really know until the game comes out, probably.

Tyson
03-22-2015, 12:09 AM

I don't see how Duscae made it 'obvious' at all, as I said what we found doesn't contradict the sisters idea in the slightest. The thing that makes it most likely that Luna/Stella are the same person is the fact they look nearly identical if you compare the E3 2013 and TGS 2014 trailers. Operative word there though is 'nearly' - they do seem to be two slightly different designs.

I agree it's silly to be precious, I don't know why I am, yet here we are. Do you have any idea how long it took me to accept 'Aeris' was actually 'Aerith'? This is a much more significant change!

It just seems really odd to change a character's name like that so substantially. Maybe I just prefer the idea of there being two interesting characters for the price of one? Who knows. I think it's more the confusion that bugs me, if Tabata came out and said "Yeah we changed her name she's Lunafreya now" then I could just say "OK fair enough I liked the name Stella but whatever" and start getting used to it. But no, he actually just said "oooh well you'll just have to wait and see!" so of course​ I'm going to speculate wildly! :)

But there is absolutely no evidence that a second character named Stella exists. Stella was the female character in the original trailers that Noctis met at the party during the signing ceremony. Which then gets attacked by the militia. The demo and the latest trailers makes it pretty obvious that, Luna is now that character. There is absolutely no basis for another character to exist.

I agree tho, having a love triangle would be kind of interesting! Don't think it's likely at this point tho.

Pumpkin
03-22-2015, 01:41 AM
I know this won't happen, but I would love a split personality Luna/Stella. I love those characters :omgomg:

Fox
03-22-2015, 02:14 AM
I know this won't happen, but I would love a split personality Luna/Stella. I love those characters :omgomg:

Bonus points: each personality is on an opposing side of the war XD

Pumpkin
03-22-2015, 02:16 AM
thatwouldbethebestthingeverIwouldforgiveanydownfallsthegamehadiftheydidthat :omgomg::omgomg::omgomg::omgomg:

Scotty_ffgamer
03-22-2015, 03:54 AM
I want that to happen. It would be wonderful. I don't want a love triangle though.

Colonel Angus
03-22-2015, 04:03 AM
Squeenix is being tight lipped about this because there has to be some major plot point they don't want leaked re: these two. It's quite possible that They are twin sisters & rivals. It's very possible one impersonates the other for devious reasons.

Pumpkin's split personality suggestion would be an interesting twist.

Fynn
03-22-2015, 06:36 AM
Interesting though it may be, I somehow doubt it. Considering it's a fantasy based on reality, I think they'll avoid campy anime tropes. Unless they really delve into the psychology of it a la Black Swan or something. That would be awesome.

And I repeat for all those saying that her not being in the demo means something - everyone at SE saying "I can't comment on that" means something is definitely going on with Steplla's character that they can't disclose. Also, I don't see anyone doubting Cor's existence :monster: