PDA

View Full Version : Making a RPG

Lazerface
03-12-2015, 03:29 PM
Me and my friends were thinking about making a game. A RPG to be exact. Taking place in a alternate future 6 years from now. The genre we're aiming for is cyberpunk, detective, noir, and a little bit of dystopia. We're planning on the combat to be able utilize companions as well as a cover system that is completely destructable. The setting is going to largely urban taking place around NYC and some areas of Canada. I wanted to know which gameplay mechanic should we put in? An action based combat system like fallout and xcom? Or something more like an action RPG like crisis core, elder scrolls, and deus ex? And suggestions and recommendations? I've discussed this on other forums as well, good answers and so forth. But right now me and my friends are just brainstorming. I'm just the writer and artist for the game if it ever sees light.

Fynn
03-12-2015, 06:55 PM
I think action-based systems are pretty popular nowadays. Crisis Core was pretty popular, although I found it limiting because I like to jump around in my action RPGs. So yeah, that's what I recommend. Give us a jump option :D

Also, if you guys ever need more writers, I'd gladly lend my talents :cool:

Lazerface
03-12-2015, 08:21 PM
I think action-based systems are pretty popular nowadays. Crisis Core was pretty popular, although I found it limiting because I like to jump around in my action RPGs. So yeah, that's what I recommend. Give us a jump option :D

Also, if you guys ever need more writers, I'd gladly lend my talents :cool: Ahh Alright. I meant to include in the last sentence action point based systems like Fallout, Front Mission, and X-Com. But I can see Action is pretty popular. We were planning on putting a companion system in there too and have the ability to relay orders to companions like in a game such as Ghost Recon and Wasteland or be able to control them individually.

Fox
03-13-2015, 12:29 AM
I hate to be 'that guy' but have you looked into what's involved in the making of any game, let alone something as complex as an RPG? Because damn. Code. Srsly.

Unless you have someone who has made a number of games in the past on your team, don't try anything that needs much of the following things:

Physics
Pathfinding
Precise hit detection
Regular view/location changes

Those things in particular are technical nightmares. Action RPGs need teams of experienced people working on those things to get them good. Stuff that relies on simple number crunching is the best bet so: points based, turn based systems is the less scary route to take.

qwertysaur
03-13-2015, 01:34 AM
When making an RPG you must be comfortable with math, because it's God when it comes to an RPG. :p

With growth curves and damage formulas make sure one does not out speed any other or you will get a broken game. Know how different functions act.

Here is a an example

The general curve is xk, where x is the level that will change, and k is a constant number. Watch what happens when I use different numbers for k
If k is negative then as x increases then xk will decrease. Generally you don't want that happening unless you have something like age affecting stats.
If k is less than 1 but still positive, then you get constant increases, but they slow down as x increases.
If k is 1 you get a straight line, constant increases each time.
If k is greater than 1 you get accelerating increases as x gets higher.

Get a graphing calculator if you are having trouble visualizing what happens. (Google is your friend)

Vyk
03-13-2015, 06:43 AM
Yeah, strategy RPG would probably be an easier starter RPG. Standard action RPG thing would have so many behind the scenes variables for hit detection and stuff, and like mentioned, the path-finding if you have AI companions. At least with a strategy RPG you can set spaces specifically to be what you want, and then use some sort of random number generator for attacks that have set ranges and whatnot. Plus I love strategy RPGs. They don't even need to be as complex as XCOM. Take a look at old Fire Emblem games or (my love) Shining Force. But speaking of XCOM, I've learned to enjoy the AP side of strategy RPGs like Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns, and Divinity Original Sin (superbly excellent game) and it's probably a lot easier to program games like those who either have phases or turns, rather than some realtime strategy with pause like say Baldur's Gate or Dragon Age, which can be played either action'y or strategically, but with so much AI stuff happening so fast, there'd be a lot lot lot to go over for a small team to tackle

But hey, whatever you're comfortable with and wherever your passion drives you

Leigh
03-13-2015, 01:48 PM
Even many of the indie-kickstarter projects amounting to thousands of dollars of funding still end up looking simplistic. These are usually designed by professional teams of talented people. So I think you might be limited by your manpower, I don't know enough about your skill backgrounds, but I k know I have grand visions for video games, only to discover I can't even comprehend my imagination in RPG Maker.

Good luck, but just in case, be realistic in terms of your scope. :)

Skyblade
03-13-2015, 06:40 PM
There are tons of things to say on this topic. But I'm going to let some guys do the speaking who have a lot more experience with the subject than I do.

Extra Credits is a series of web videos centered around game design. They're written by people in the industry who have made games before, and worked as consultants on game projects. The vast majority of their videos are excellent resources in general, especially any that touch directly on an aspect or feature that you know will be in your game. But they also have a small mini-series specifically centered around making your first game.

z06QR-tz1_o
dHMNeNapL1E
UvCri1tqIxQ
qxsEimJ_3bM

In addition to those, I would specifically call out a few others as being excellent viewing material for someone looking to start development for the first time.

Fail Faster: Cannot stress this one enough.
rDjrOaoHz9s

On the idea of keeping things simple, we also have Depth vs. Complexity. Since keeping things simple on yourself will be important as well, this one bears receiving special attention.
jVL4st0blGU

More than Ex:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou: Very useful for anything with heavy story, like an RPG.
TEERJ1a2rsU

Following that, we have Word Choice: Another excellent one for story heavy games.
5j1PXhkXJ2A

So you want to be an Indie: This is probably the most helpful of their "So you want to be" videos, especially if you're planning on being a small developer.
7wX6W3k2wLQ

Yes, there's a lot there to watch, but they offer very, very good advice, and it comes from people who have worked directly with the industry and have seen how these things can turn out. Honestly, if you have time, I'd recommend watching most of their videos. You're going to need a lot of help on this sort of project, and there is going to be a lot of research to do. It will all help, even if just in some small way.

Lazerface
03-13-2015, 09:31 PM
I hate to be 'that guy' but have you looked into what's involved in the making of any game, let alone something as complex as an RPG? Because damn. Code. Srsly.

Unless you have someone who has made a number of games in the past on your team, don't try anything that needs much of the following things:

Physics
Pathfinding
Precise hit detection
Regular view/location changes

Those things in particular are technical nightmares. Action RPGs need teams of experienced people working on those things to get them good. Stuff that relies on simple number crunching is the best bet so: points based, turn based systems is the less scary route to take. Yeah we've looked into it. If anything I'm going to be the guy in charge of writing and art, we're just brainstorming for a long while. We have a few people who're good with math. I know a little about programming and game making but they know it'd be a mistake to have me doing the math because God forbid if I'll ever be good at it. Yeah, it is a bit far fetched but I just want them to wait before even doing anything. Don't worry, honest criticism is needed. It'll help us,trust me on that.

Lazerface
03-13-2015, 09:48 PM
Yeah, strategy RPG would probably be an easier starter RPG. Standard action RPG thing would have so many behind the scenes variables for hit detection and stuff, and like mentioned, the path-finding if you have AI companions. At least with a strategy RPG you can set spaces specifically to be what you want, and then use some sort of random number generator for attacks that have set ranges and whatnot. Plus I love strategy RPGs. They don't even need to be as complex as XCOM. Take a look at old Fire Emblem games or (my love) Shining Force. But speaking of XCOM, I've learned to enjoy the AP side of strategy RPGs like Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns, and Divinity Original Sin (superbly excellent game) and it's probably a lot easier to program games like those who either have phases or turns, rather than some realtime strategy with pause like say Baldur's Gate or Dragon Age, which can be played either action'y or strategically, but with so much AI stuff happening so fast, there'd be a lot lot lot to go over for a small team to tackle

But hey, whatever you're comfortable with and wherever your passion drives you Thanks. But the only thing some us are worried about here is people thinking that we have a outdated gameplay mechanic and combat being too slow. And well, tbh the game isn't specifically tactical squad based like Wasteland 2. More like Fallout, you have one PC and you can gain companions along the way with a certain set of skills depending on the checks through them and well you can relay orders to them to get behind cover, pull back, heal themself, cover you from a distance, suppressing fire, switch weapons, switch armor. But this will all be in a modern setting taking place 6 years from now in a alternate future. The pure action aspect was something like the game hatred or an other isometric action rpg like Diablo.

black orb
03-27-2015, 05:52 AM
>>> Making a videogame must be the most difficult thing in the universe to create, you need god-level-programming-nerd-math skills and some artistic skill too. Truly a paradox..:luca:

Christmas
05-27-2022, 02:25 PM
Maybe his RPG made it big now 7 years on. :bigsmile:

I see a lot of RPG experts in this thread. :bigsmile: