PDA

View Full Version : Classic RPG playlist

Dante WolfWood
03-13-2015, 03:01 PM
So lately I have found myself desiring the games of old, and the amount of enjoyment I had with them in days long past.

So I decided to challenge myself: I made myself a classic RPG playlist, where I play at least one RPG from the older generations, and play it all the way through. I have three categories, which I swap to once I complete a game in said category:

1.)Non-FF game (DQ5)
2.)FF game (FF6)
3.)game I have never played/completed before (Not sure yet, either Suikoden II or Breath of Fire)

I am currently on DQ5 now, and I am enjoying every moment of it. This is something I really needed, since I have felt my passion for gaming has started to dwindle. This has lit up a fire in me somehow! Nostalgia is rushing through me, reconnecting me with my youthful side, and how I use to play these types of games for hours without breaks. I even have to force myself to put the phone down and stop playing DQ! Something I haven't done in a long time! (Hell, I've even ignored phone calls because I was playing!) I love it!

I just thought I would share. Perhaps someone would want to do the same? Maybe you have a suggestion? I can't decide on which RPG to play in my third category...I honestly don't know much about the more obscure RPGs that I missed in my youth. Suggestions are welcomed!

Vyk
03-13-2015, 05:21 PM
You're playing it on a phone? Interesting choice. But I totally understand the need for nostalgia. There was something magical about RPGs of old. I filled my Wii and PSP with older games, it used to be my favorite way to spend time. Either replaying something special from my youth, or catching up on something new I happened to miss

What's really nice is these things are also quite popular on YouTube, so you can get some good recommendations and reviews. I especially missed out on TurboGrafX, and after getting into a show called GameSack on YouTube, with two dudes who are older than me, who grew up with Turbos (they cover all consoles and one prefers SEGA while the other prefers Nintendo) they have a lot of info and recommendations and just generally a lot of love for a console I never had experience with. And they're the ones who got me to finally try out the Ys series. And even at this age, the original Ys is something special

qwertysaur
03-13-2015, 06:37 PM
Earthbound. :p

Dante WolfWood
03-14-2015, 01:07 AM
Haha yeah, SE released DQ5 and 6 on iOS and Android. It was weird at first; the touch controls are jarring at the beginning. Once I got use to it though, it plays fine.

Earthbound is already on my list, although I just completed it about 2 years ago. Such a wonderful game!

I didn't even think about the Turbografx...that's something I've never delved into either. Perhaps I will look up a list of must plays for that system.