PDA

View Full Version : Are RPGs (or some variant of RPGs) your favorite genre of game?

Pike
03-28-2015, 05:01 PM
Yes yes, I know there are millions of subgenres, but for the sake of simplicity...

Anyways, what say you?

As for myself I'd probably place Action RPGs (my definition of that term, anyway) third behind 4X TBS and Grand Strategy.

Fynn
03-28-2015, 05:11 PM
Yes, I adore RPGs, but not all types. I mostly enjoy JRPGs of different types - be it the vanilla FF-like fair, the old-school first-person dungeon crawler that's super challenging (like SMT: Strange Journey), tactical RPGs or action RPGs. From the Western front, they're pretty cool as well, though I tend to enjoy the Baldur's Gate kind far more than others.

Anyway, yes. If it's an RPG, especially a Japanese one, and ESPECIALLY if it's on a handheld, I will play the shit out of that.

escobert
03-28-2015, 05:17 PM
I chose other. Because while Guild Wars 1&2 and FF VII VIII and Tactics are some of my favorite games I'd have to say the Survival Horror DayZ genre is my favorite.

Vermachtnis
03-28-2015, 06:29 PM
You bet your sweet bippy. I'd say my top 3 genres are RPG, Action/adventure, and Beat 'em up.

Kalevala
03-28-2015, 09:02 PM
I've always thought that, due to the immersion, video games were the perfect medium for the horror genre. Survival horror has the most potential of all genres, and because of that I've always had a soft spot for it (despite that potential rarely being truly realized or taken advantage of). RPGs are a very​ close second, though.

black orb
03-28-2015, 09:04 PM
>>> Yes, a good RPG is all I need..:luca:

Karifean
03-30-2015, 12:17 AM
Nope, visual novels dethroned them about a year ago.

Pumpkin
03-30-2015, 02:50 PM
Yep, RPG's are my favourite, no contest

Leigh
03-31-2015, 12:32 AM
Once upon a time, I might have said so. But that was probably a false belief. I think I can safely say that there is no underlying game mechanic in RPGs that appeals to me whatsoever. Turn-based battles are kinda boring, collecting stuff annoys me. I have had the realisation that it was the tone and mood of Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and IX that made me like them. Chatting to the characters and enjoying the humorous personalities, within differing environments is probably what I enjoyed the most. This is less RPG, and more Adventure Game focused.

Sadly, I can't seem to stomach an RPG for more than a day. Hence lack of Type-0 progress and more 'finish Life is Strange, already!' :p

Laddy
04-16-2015, 09:22 PM
Hell yeah. Whether they be WRPG's, JRPG's, ARPG's, SRPG's, Roguelikes, MUD's, Dungeon Crawlers, or even some MMO's, RPG's have always been my favorite and it's frustrating because role-playing games, at least in the traditional sense with a lot of mechanical transparency and having a shit ton of delicious and specific numbers, skills, and abilities are on a bit of the downswing at least as far as the mainstream market goes. Skill trees and twitch-based combat seemed like the new norm.

Then again, Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Divinity: Original Sin, Lords of Xulima, and all that shit were pretty faithful to the genre and did well commercially and critically, so I suppose I'm just being a fogey.

Raistlin
04-19-2015, 04:23 AM
Yes. I haven't played many video games in recent years, but my main preferences all come back to RPGs. I ended up having a surprise bit of extra time this past month, and I thought I'd dust off the ol' PS3 and actually play some of the games I've been meaning to get around to for years. But what do I end up doing?

Playing through Suikoden II again.

... and then III.

... and now IV.

It's basically a way to relax for a couple of hours in the evening after work, like some others may do with a book.

Ayen
04-19-2015, 08:50 AM
They're among my favorites, but I'm not sure what I would place at #1.

Mirage
04-19-2015, 08:52 AM
Action RPGs probably are, yeah. Not the diablo type. Regular turn based ones, probably not.

Randy
04-21-2015, 05:28 PM
It tends to fluctuate quite a lot. Maybe action adventures like Zelda are more constant in being my main focus.
I'd say JRPGs have had the biggest effect on me in total though. Which certainly counts for something.

Rez09
04-30-2015, 05:51 PM
Side-Scrolling platformers are easily my favorite video game genre, likely followed by fighting games, then RPGs, though I tend to spend the most time with RPGs.

BlackFire
05-04-2015, 04:25 AM
No. RPGs would be my second favorite genre. My favorite genre is FPS.

Rocket Edge
05-07-2015, 06:13 PM
Without Final Fantasy, RPG's would be practically non-existent in my life. I'm replaying FFX and I just love it.

Fighting games second, FPS third, and RTS fourth. The other's I sparsely play.

Wolf Kanno
05-13-2015, 04:40 AM
A quick look at my list of games I own says... yes. :wcanoe:

Araciel
05-14-2015, 06:11 AM
Yeah RPGs are swell.