PDA

View Full Version : Do you answer unknown calls?

fat_moogle
03-16-2015, 11:40 AM
Do you ever receive any unknown calls to your mobile, and if so, do you answer them?

I received one this morning but I never answer them. If it's important then someone will leave a message. There was no message in this case.

Psychotic
03-16-2015, 12:08 PM
I get loads and I never answer. I Google the number afterwards and it's invariably a telemarketer and so the number gets added to my blocked callers list.

Loony BoB
03-16-2015, 12:20 PM
I do. It's rarely a telemarketer for me. Usually it's just someone from work that I didn't have the number of earlier, or someone has a new phone or something.

Mirage
03-16-2015, 12:21 PM
Usually, yes. I don't get many, and I've reserved myself against telephone sellers anyway.

metagloria
03-16-2015, 01:41 PM
I never answer them. If it's important then someone will leave a message.

I never answer. I Google the number afterwards and it's invariably a telemarketer

These exactly for me.

fat_moogle
03-16-2015, 04:02 PM
It's got to the point where I don't even answer the landline anymore xD I know some landline phones have caller display now, but mine is just a cheapo landline with no fancy bells and whistles. I'll let the phone finish ringing and then dial 1471 to see who it was.

CimminyCricket
03-16-2015, 04:06 PM
If the unknown number is from my area code I will answer, but if it's from outside the state I will just google the number later and see who/what it was.

Pumpkin
03-16-2015, 04:17 PM
Only if I'm expecting a call

MissH
03-16-2015, 05:09 PM
Never!!! I already get anxious talking on the phone, I just don't like it. I feel much more comfortable emailing/texting. If it's really important, they'll leave a message!

noxious.sunshine
03-16-2015, 05:52 PM
It depends.

If I've ordered food, the places I order from will usually call me to say that they're here or figure out where I live.

Typically I don't answer calls from unknown numbers though.

Scotty_ffgamer
03-16-2015, 06:06 PM
Never. They are almost always wrong number calls, and the voice mails are generally more amusing than if I talk to them on the phone. Also, I have pretty bad anxiety with phones, and I don't handle talking to people I don't really know very well.

Based on the wrong number texts and voice mails I've received, I've been someone's grandfather, mom, brother, sister, uncle, possibly a gang member, a cheating whore, Zebediah, etc etc. I'm always confused by the voice mails since my message on the thing is clearly a guy's voice saying "Hi this is Scott, leave a message" or whatever. But then I'll get a voice mail saying something along the lines of "Hi mom, this is your daughter! Just making sure we are still meeting up today. You know the number, so just call me back. Love ya!"

I've asked people "who is this" when an unknown number texts "Happy Thanksgiving" only to receive very disappointed texts that I didn't know who my own granddaughter was. I was very disappointed when I once got a "good morning sunshine! <3<3" text and was then told "sorry, wrong number"

Shorty
03-16-2015, 06:25 PM
Nope. I didn't when I had my old number, and now that I have my new number, I assume they are all wrong numbers anyway.

sharkythesharkdogg
03-16-2015, 09:51 PM
I always get calls from out of state that leave voice mails on my phone from smurfing fax machines. :mad2:

I don't look at my phone too much at work, and once every 3 weeks or so, by the end of the day I'll have 5 voice mails from some random number with 10 seconds of fax machine squawking. If I pick up on one of them it's still just the damn fax machine. Ugh.

escobert
03-16-2015, 11:56 PM
No, if I don't know who is calling I don't answer.

Bubba
03-17-2015, 12:30 AM
Nope. Even if it's a number from my contacts you'd have to be one charming smurfer for me to answer.

fat_moogle
03-17-2015, 01:29 AM
Never. They are almost always wrong number calls, and the voice mails are generally more amusing than if I talk to them on the phone. Also, I have pretty bad anxiety with phones, and I don't handle talking to people I don't really know very well.

Based on the wrong number texts and voice mails I've received, I've been someone's grandfather, mom, brother, sister, uncle, possibly a gang member, a cheating whore, Zebediah, etc etc. I'm always confused by the voice mails since my message on the thing is clearly a guy's voice saying "Hi this is Scott, leave a message" or whatever. But then I'll get a voice mail saying something along the lines of "Hi mom, this is your daughter! Just making sure we are still meeting up today. You know the number, so just call me back. Love ya!"

I've asked people "who is this" when an unknown number texts "Happy Thanksgiving" only to receive very disappointed texts that I didn't know who my own granddaughter was. I was very disappointed when I once got a "good morning sunshine! <3<3" text and was then told "sorry, wrong number"
Haha, seems like you've had your fair share! But don't lie to us, we know you're in a gang really. Why do you think I tried calling? I needed you to get it done.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
03-17-2015, 01:47 AM
What is wrong with most of you? Of course I answer it, it could be important. And the 'if it was important they would leave a message' bullshit isn't a good excuse to not answer your phone. It could be too urgent to leave a message.

If you ignore a call because you don't know the phone number, then you are just being a dick.

fat_moogle
03-17-2015, 01:55 AM
If you ignore a call because you don't know the phone number, then you are just being a dick.
*If I had a magic lamp*

"Genie, my first wish is to make every phone call that Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World receives be from a cold caller!"

Slothy
03-17-2015, 02:11 AM
Only sometimes, but I regret it every time.

Mahad
03-17-2015, 07:02 AM
I orbit around both camps, those answer them and those who don't. If I'm busy, bored, if I'm not up yet, or just not in the mood to pick up the call I don't. If they insist and there is nothing keeping me from it, I might pick up just out of curiosity to see who wants to bother me so much; not that it ever matters, as it's nearly never of any relevance to me.

Sephex
03-17-2015, 07:37 AM
No, but I rarely get calls like that.

Shiny
03-17-2015, 09:38 PM
There are a few times I have forgotten to put in someone's number and they called. I was like wtf who is this and didn't answer, but then they just left a text message saying that I need to get my voicemail set up and that I'm a noob so I know automatically they're definitely a friend.

LunarWeaver
03-27-2015, 05:52 PM
I don't even answer it when it says MOM. Some stranger has no chance.

escobert
03-27-2015, 08:49 PM
What is wrong with most of you? Of course I answer it, it could be important. And the 'if it was important they would leave a message' bulltrout isn't a good excuse to not answer your phone. It could be too urgent to leave a message.

Then I am a dick on a daily basis. Maybe when I let old ladies cross the street it makes up for it?

I don't like talking on the phone with people who I want to talk to so why would I talk to people I probably don't want to talk to?
Also, I hardly ever check voicemails either. like once a week I'll just check my voice mail and push #7 really fast until the messages are all gone.

Bubba
03-27-2015, 09:52 PM
Maybe when I let old ladies cross the street it makes up for it?

Why would you not let old ladies cross the street? They have as much right as anyone else to cross the road. Why do they need your permission? Who made you Lord High Inquisitor of Elderly Female Street Traversing?

ANSWER ME!!!

escobert, you are a monster.

escobert
03-27-2015, 10:07 PM
Maybe when I let old ladies cross the street it makes up for it?

Why would you not let old ladies cross the street? They have as much right as anyone else to cross the road. Why do they need your permission? Who made you Lord High Inquisitor of Elderly Female Street Traversing?

ANSWER ME!!!

escobert, you are a monster.

Your queen made me Lord High Inquisitor of Elderly Female Street Traversing!

Sometimes you must show those old ladies that not all in life in fair! They get far too comfortable! I like to ban them from street traversing between the hours of 9am to 9 PM. Really puts a stink in their day!

Bubba
03-27-2015, 10:21 PM
I suppose you're right. We can't let these senile old farts cross roads unchallenged whenever they like. We'd have mayhem. The roads will be littered with boiled sweets, knitting needles and bobble hats. Someone should just lock these f***ers up before they cause some serious damage.

Night Fury
03-28-2015, 03:49 AM
Being an unemployed and lonely lass who gets bored easily - yes, yes I do answer the unknown calls.

Just last week I had a telemarketer call me up offering me a wonderful discounted holiday.... I will provide a bit of a transcript.

"Hello is this Mr Baffull?"

"No it's not, who is calling?"

"This is Adam from Easy Bright and we're offering you a fantastic deal."

"Oh well this is Mrs Baffull, what's the deal about"

"Holiday anywhere in Australia for 2 weeks for $175 all costs covered for your meals and excursions"

"Oh well you're calling at the right time Adam, I need a little getaway... Do you offer Tasmania?"

"Yes we offer Tasmania."

"Fantastic, I need to get off the mainland. I pissed my neighbour off last week you see."

"Oh I'm sorry to hear that."

"I ran over their cat. They don't like when you do that you know!"

"I am sorry Mrs Baffull this is not a personal call. So you want to go to Tasmania?"

"I mean, it was pissing on my front door every day I was sick of the little trout!"

"Yes, so Tasmania I have put you down for it."

"I had tried to poison it but it didn't eat the food."

"Okay so will it be you and your husband going on this holiday"

"I mean I dunno."

"Where is your husband Mrs Baffull?"

"I dunno. You'll have to ask him, he's out all the time at all hours of the night I think he's bloody got a mistress on the go."

"I'm sorry to hear that Mrs Baffull so will it just be you going to Tasmania?"

"Well can I take my kids?"

"Yes we can add your children on there."

"Okay I've got 7 of them. SEVEN. And I'm only 31."

"That is very good to have 7 children by 31, that must be very hard work Mrs Baffull."

"Yeah you've got no idea - i've just been popping them out and they all had big heads! do you know what that does to your body?"

"I.. err... so 7 kids and you to Tasmania."

"Hang on a second Adam - *covers phone* OI. YOU LITTLE trout, STOP HITTING YOUR SISTER OR I'M GONNA COME OVER THERE AND BEAT THE trout OUT OF YOU YOU LITTLE :bou::bou::bou::bou:."

"Sorry about that Adam, those bloody kids."

"Okay, so now we will pay for the holiday I just need your address Mrs Baffull."

"Sure, it's number 32"

"Number 32.."

"And you might want to spell this one out because it's long, so I'll spell it out for you okay."

"Okay Mrs Baffull thank you for your time."

"Okay, it's P - H - U - C - K - O - F - F - U - C - U - N - T road."

-line goes dead-

I had Pheesh's mum falling over laughing listening to it.

Shorty
03-28-2015, 05:16 AM
What is wrong with most of you? Of course I answer it, it could be important. And the 'if it was important they would leave a message' bullshit isn't a good excuse to not answer your phone. It could be too urgent to leave a message.

You aren't obligated to answer a phone call because someone calls you. If they leave a message, then it's a social contract that you should fulfill and call the person back (if you feel like it). Otherwise, it could be a random stranger, it could be someone whose number you deleted because you don't want to talk to them anymore, it could be a telemarketer. If it's important, people will leave a message and get in contact with you. If it isn't, them they don't.

Unknown numbers do not get the privilege of being answered!

Ayen
03-28-2015, 06:10 AM
Only once but it was from the college I contacted and I just forgot their number.

Now most of my calls go straight to voice mail. Only problem is I can't remember my password for voice mail so I can't listen to any of them. Oops.

fat_moogle
03-28-2015, 10:45 AM
Lol Night Fury that's epic! xD

Also Tori I never even knew that you could set passwords for voicemail.

Crop
03-28-2015, 04:33 PM
I can't remember the last time I had a cold call, but I answer every call I receive.

I know the 'amusing' thing for people to do is to piss around with the person on the other end of the phone, but if it's a cold call I just politely tell them I'm not interested and put the phone down.
Most of the time the person is just a kid on the other end of the line working for next to no money (probably on commission) in a job that is making their life hell. They don't need me adding to that by stringing them along like an arsehole, they're just trying to get by.

black orb
03-28-2015, 09:01 PM
>>> I think no one has called me in the last 5 months. lol :luca:

Mirage
03-29-2015, 03:13 AM

You aren't obligated to answer a phone call because someone calls you. If they leave a message, then it's a social contract that you should fulfill and call the person back (if you feel like it). Otherwise, it could be a random stranger, it could be someone whose number you deleted because you don't want to talk to them anymore, it could be a telemarketer. If it's important, people will leave a message and get in contact with you. If it isn't, them they don't.

Unknown numbers do not get the privilege of being answered!

Of course you're not obligated to answer anything, not even people you know or like!
I didn't know people actually left messages anyway. I mean I know some people have voicemail thingies but I can't remember the last time I heard of anyone leaving a message on those.

Bubba
03-29-2015, 09:21 AM
Well I'm gonna relax this rule now. I just answered an unknown call and it turns out that I've won the Nigerian lottery! I don't even remember entering! I'm gonna have a cheque for £7,000,000 pounds drop on my doormat in 6-8 weeks. 7 MILLION.

All I had to do was provide him with all my personal details, bank sort code and account number, online banking log in details and then just send him my passport.

You may not see me post for a while guys as there won't be a great wifi signal on my new yacht. Enjoy your poverty, everyone!

SquallsMist
03-29-2015, 04:35 PM
I know the 'amusing' thing for people to do is to piss around with the person on the other end of the phone, but if it's a cold call I just politely tell them I'm not interested and put the phone down.
Most of the time the person is just a kid on the other end of the line working for next to no money (probably on commission) in a job that is making their life hell. They don't need me adding to that by stringing them along like an arsehole, they're just trying to get by.

Also, the shadier ones are happy to sell along your number to whoever else might want to call you. Don't mess with telemarketers, it is funny for about 10 minutes and then you'll face the Wrath of the Cold Caller for weeks to come.

And many calls (especially the ones where you answer and there's a silence before a recorded message) are kind of recon calls, you answer and you're added to a list of idiots who answer phone calls from unknown numbers.

Night Fury
03-29-2015, 05:07 PM
I will say that I only act on to the scam calls, if it's ever charity cold calling I'll be polite and say no and cut it short - the scams though.... They get the terror! I've had a guy get aggressive to me on a scam call once the wee shite. Makes me feel sick to think of how many old people they dupe!!!!!

Depression Moon
03-29-2015, 10:34 PM
No. If someone is calling me with their phone number masked its either a prank call or a telemarketer.

I get loads and I never answer. I Google the number afterwards and it's invariably a telemarketer and so the number gets added to my blocked callers list.

If the unknown number is from my area code I will answer, but if it's from outside the state I will just google the number later and see who/what it was.

How can you tell if an unknown call is from your area? Is there some kind of trick to see the number?

Mirage
03-30-2015, 12:48 AM
I think we're talking about calls where you see the telephone number, but don't know whose number it is.

Unknown numbers, not hidden numbers.

Perducci
03-30-2015, 01:29 AM
I'll usually answer them but stay completely silent until either I recognize the voice or am 100% sure it's important before I speak up. If it's telemarketers or a wrong number I'll usually just hang up.

Cloudane
03-30-2015, 10:47 AM
I do, as for all I know it's an emergency. I don't get spam calls, haven't had any since adding myself to the Telephone Preference Service.

Shauna
03-30-2015, 11:18 AM
If it's an emergency, they'll leave a message and I'll phone them back immediately.

Basically I never answer my phone ever.

Loony BoB
03-30-2015, 11:44 AM
I do, as for all I know it's an emergency.
This is key for me. Someday one of you might get a call from someone to let you know someone is dying, or that they are lost and had to use a stranger's phone and need help, these things might not happen often but they can happen. Remind me to not let any of you be listed as my emergency contact!

Shauna
03-30-2015, 01:15 PM
Thinking about it, I *only* get unknown calls from weird numbers from Jamaica and 08 numbers which I don't trust.

If it were a mobile number I didn't recognise though, I'd probably answer unless I am unable to do so. Such as being at work! 2-3 hours straight that I am unable to check my phone. xD Leaving messages is pretty much the only guaranteed way to get a hold of me.

I don't get calls from other mobile numbers or even 01 or 02 numbers so I guess it doesn't really make too much difference for me. :shrug:

Christmas
04-04-2015, 04:29 PM
Of course, otherwise it will remains a mystery and I will die with regrets! :(

PS: My armpit will itch when I have regrets. :cry:

Quindiana Jones
04-10-2015, 04:35 AM
I never answer them because, nine out of ten times, it's work and SCREW YOU IT'S MY DAY OFF. :mad2:

Del Murder
04-10-2015, 04:57 AM
Hell no. I barely answer calls from people I know.

Bubba
04-10-2015, 07:36 AM
I never answer them because, nine out of ten times, it's work and SCREW YOU IT'S MY DAY OFF. :mad2:

The only way I can get in touch with you is to call forward through your work. Now I found out you are purposely ignoring my calls? Screw you, Quin, screw you.

Quindiana Jones
04-10-2015, 12:55 PM
You may.

Chibi Youkai
04-12-2015, 03:36 AM
Any work calls show up as unknown, so yeah. And a couple of my relatives have their numbers hidden for some reason.

BlackFire
05-03-2015, 09:18 PM
For the most part I do. If it is a tele-marketer I hang up ASAP. I don't want my time wasted by them.

Chris
05-03-2015, 09:26 PM
No. Never. I don't like talking to strangers. :(

Richard
05-05-2015, 03:12 PM
No not really. Its normally either a sales call or someone with the wrong number. :)

The Ceej
05-08-2015, 02:16 PM
Kind of have to, especially if it's my work phone. I don't wanna miss a gig because I failed to answer the phone. However, more often than not, it's one of those telemarketers that spoof their number so the FTC can't figure out where they're calling from unless you allow yourself to be scammed by them.

This is about how those conversations go, "Hi, this is (I'm sorry, I didn't get your name because I wasn't listening) with Direct Buy here to tell you about--"

"I'm sorry. I've been meaning to subscribe to you guys, but I've been really busy and you never call when I'm available. Can you give me a direct number where I can call you ba--hello? Hello?"

They're too smart to fall for that trap, I see. But, yeah. As annoying as that is, if I don't answer, I'm liable to miss an opportunity, so... It's a trade-off really.