PDA

View Full Version : Next Gen Nintendo System Code-named "NX"

Pike
03-17-2015, 10:17 AM
Apparently Satoru Iwata dropped a brief bombshell during a news conference: Nintendo is making a new, dedicated game system code-named "NX".

That's all we know about it.

They also showed this image (translated from the original Japanese)

So yeah.

Let the speculation begin!

Mirage
03-17-2015, 10:33 AM
Well, I think it at least hints towards the next Nintendo console being backwards compatible with the WiiU and Wii, and that's a good sign already.
I also think it looks like Nintendo wants to make the titles they today consider "portable gaming" games work on any portable device, and also home consoles.

I doubt they'll make the high end console titles playable on any portable device though, unless they too are looking into game streaming. However, I don't think game streaming works very well with action games.

Sephex
03-17-2015, 10:33 AM
If that idea is the case it's definitely a step in the right direction for Nintendo. I remain skeptical because it is highly unusual to get with the times as fast as this apparent plan suggests. Assuming something like this comes into fruition, I'm down for it. They could even capture hold of the casual market again like they did with the original Wii since it seems just about everyone likes to tinker with their tablets and smartphones these days. Hell, I recently plowed through the original Dragon Quest and Dragon Quest II on my phone, and just a couple of years ago I wouldn't have thought I would play a game for that long through my phone.

Mirage
03-17-2015, 10:42 AM
I also think Nintendo is starting to get tired of being looked at as the guys with a too weak console to release multiplatform games on, and that they want to make a system that will be fully capable of running the highest end games. At this point, i think they can't really aim to be releasing hardware at the same intervals as Sony and MS, but rather aim for half-gens.

Their previous consoles haven't really followed the common schedule either, but they have also been kind of too weak. The Wii should have been half a PS3, rather than two gamecubes. The WiiU should have been half a PS4, rather than 1.5 PS3s. With their new NX console, they better be aiming for something that is half as powerful as a PS5 will eventually be, rather than something that is just 50% stronger than a PS4.

Sephex
03-17-2015, 11:06 AM
I'm not too concerned with graphics when it comes to Nintendo. I think their first party titles look fantastic on the Wii U. The original Wii was pretty bad, though. Graphics are nice, but far too many games focus on trying to polish the body of a car instead of trying to build one that runs well. If Nintendo can pull off building the whole car, to go along with my analogy, more power too them. If this is indeed anywhere remotely in the direction they are going, they really should focus on making it work instead of sitting pretty.

Mirage
03-17-2015, 11:21 AM
Graphics aren't the most important thing, but it is important to have third party support, and Nintendo isn't getting a lot of that with a console that is miles behind the competition.

Sephex
03-17-2015, 11:25 AM
Also true. Yeah, they should up their game a bit for that purpose!

Slothy
03-17-2015, 11:35 AM
Can't say I'm surprised that Nintendo wants to quickly move on from the sales flop the Wii U has been. Can't say I expect them to have any real ideas on how to do that though.

Loony BoB
03-17-2015, 11:42 AM
I'm curious about this, really intriguing.

Personally, I think the best thing a new console could do is fully streamline what has already been targeted with other consoles - the ability to move your game between big and little screen. If I were to be a major player designing a console right now, I'd be looking to get a console that is almost an operating system focused thing, allowing you to play games on-the-go like you do with Vita/3DS and then come home, sit the console on your TV stand, pick up a controller and continue playing your game on the big screen. The games would not be ported - it would be a merging of home consoles and portable consoles into a single system. I think that's the future, and I'm not 100% sure if the capabilities are there but it would be a way to get around that whole "Japan likes handheld gaming, Western world likes console gaming, what to do" thing.

But yeah, I've been thinking about getting a Wii U for a year or so now. Will be interesting to get more knowledge of this NX thing to see if I should hold out longer.

metagloria
03-17-2015, 12:34 PM
Come on guys, we all know they'll call it the Wii U2.

Loony BoB
03-17-2015, 12:37 PM
Wii Mii
No U

Pike
03-17-2015, 02:05 PM
The "new membership device" thing they mention is interesting to me.

What I'd like to see with it: Nintendo goes all out chasing retro gamers. Get an absolutely gigantic catalog of games from old Nintendo systems (and get Sega in on it too.) Then make it so any games you buy are tied to your account and playable on any supported systems. Imagine buying Pokemon (or whatever) once and then being able to download it on NX, 3DS, PC and your phone.

That's what I want to see. Come on Nintendo! Make it happen!

Skyblade
03-17-2015, 03:59 PM
I'm curious about this, really intriguing.

Personally, I think the best thing a new console could do is fully streamline what has already been targeted with other consoles - the ability to move your game between big and little screen. If I were to be a major player designing a console right now, I'd be looking to get a console that is almost an operating system focused thing, allowing you to play games on-the-go like you do with Vita/3DS and then come home, sit the console on your TV stand, pick up a controller and continue playing your game on the big screen. The games would not be ported - it would be a merging of home consoles and portable consoles into a single system. I think that's the future, and I'm not 100% sure if the capabilities are there but it would be a way to get around that whole "Japan likes handheld gaming, Western world likes console gaming, what to do" thing.

But yeah, I've been thinking about getting a Wii U for a year or so now. Will be interesting to get more knowledge of this NX thing to see if I should hold out longer.

I have to say, BoB, that I don't think it's looking likely at this point. My Nintendo News (http://mynintendonews.com/2015/03/17/nintendo-and-denas-membership-service-will-replace-club-nintendo/) points out the replacement to Club Nintendo, and includes the line "The new scheme will allow those who purchase Nintendo content on a variety of devices special discounts".

Which tells me that Nintendo is still thinking of the platforms as individual and we likely won't even get the same Virtual Console across all the systems the way we've been asking for since the Wii U and 3DS had separate VCs in the first place.

Loony BoB
03-17-2015, 04:00 PM
Oh, I never felt it was likely, it's just what I'd like to see. :p

Euon
03-17-2015, 04:30 PM
Like Dolphin, Revolution and GameBoy Nitro, I don't think "NX" will stick either but will still be featured on game serial codes. Aside from this I just want it to feature a slew of nice titles like Wonderful 101, ZombiU which had fun co-op and please, more Virtual Console releases! I have a lot of faith in them to keep doing what they do really, so I'm really not too worried here.

Madame Adequate
03-17-2015, 06:46 PM
The "new membership device" thing they mention is interesting to me.

What I'd like to see with it: Nintendo goes all out chasing retro gamers. Get an absolutely gigantic catalog of games from old Nintendo systems (and get Sega in on it too.) Then make it so any games you buy are tied to your account and playable on any supported systems. Imagine buying Pokemon (or whatever) once and then being able to download it on NX, 3DS, PC and your phone.

That's what I want to see. Come on Nintendo! Make it happen!

Man if they did this can you even fathom how much money Nintendo would make? Buy a game once, play it across all your N systems, and with the current love of emulating old games Nintendo's back catalog puts them in a better position than any other game company, nevermind if they can get other folks like SEGA on board.

Bolivar
03-17-2015, 06:50 PM
Every company is always working on its next console and Iwata has already hinted that Nintendo wants a unified network of devices next time around. All we have is a codename, with Nintendo clarifying we won't hear anything more about this device until 2016.

The only reason they've announced it is because of the real bombshell that came out today - Nintendo is finally licensing its IPs for mobile games. It cannot be understated what a dramatic shift this represents. Iwata had adamantly rejected Nintendo software ever appearing on other devices, explaining to angry shareholders why Nintendo must stay in hardware at all costs. This announcement assures their hardcore fans and conservative shareholders that they are committed to hardware, while preventing others from taking today's news to its extreme conclusion.

To the old guard, it's always been too small step to go from this:

http://imagenes.es.sftcdn.net/blog/es/2014/01/juegos-de-mario-smartphones-568x319.png

To this:

http://www.tqcast.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Nintendo-PS4.png

Slothy
03-17-2015, 07:23 PM
Just going to throw it out there that Mario 3 on a phone would be awful. I know it's just an example you used of course, but it really would be awful.

Bolivar
03-17-2015, 07:31 PM
Yeah that's probably of why these games are going to be licensed to mobile devs and made for that platform. I think they actually ruled out bringing a virtual console to mobile.

DMKA
03-24-2015, 04:43 AM
I'll be pretty annoyed if this ends up being, like, the Wii U successor, a full fledged console that cost full fledged console price. I dropped $300 on a Wii U less than a year ago, and Nintendo's track record for supporting their consoles once a successor comes along is not good.

Leigh
03-24-2015, 09:09 PM
I'll be pretty annoyed if this ends up being, like, the Wii U successor, a full fledged console that cost full fledged console price. I dropped $300 on a Wii U less than a year ago, and Nintendo's track record for supporting their consoles once a successor comes along is not good.

Don't sweat it. You can still work through the awesome back catalogue. I heard those three games are very good! :p