PDA

View Full Version : Tell me XV demo details!

Freya
03-17-2015, 05:37 PM
Guys I wasn't able to pick up Type-0 cause i'm poor and have no PS4. TELL ME ABOUT THE XV DEMO. D:

Loony BoB
03-17-2015, 06:09 PM
I'll tell you when it arrives. Three days after everyone in NA gets it. :sigh:

fat_moogle
03-17-2015, 07:22 PM
I'll tell you when it arrives. Three days after everyone in NA gets it. :sigh:

This. Hopefully the next couple days at work will fly by.

Noctis Caelum
03-17-2015, 09:34 PM
I'm going to be watching videos of it on youtube. You should as well!

Since I don't have a PS4, I can't go out and get it yet. And I won't be getting a PS4 for Type-0. If XV was coming out... well, that's a whole different story. ^^;

FFFFsephychibi
03-18-2015, 01:21 AM
Yes, youtube videos will help. It was a completely different experience playing it though, I was skeptical about certain things and am now confident after playing xD! (specifically the battle system, and dub)

I just finished it, SPOILERS AHEAD:

------------------------------------*~*~*~*~*~

The demo took me 6 hours because I searched a lot of the map, and spent most of the time battling and leveling up, I finished the demo at lvl 32. There's a lot of items you can find, pick up, and sell off for gil

The battle system is great, the characters, definitely still feel like 'Nomura's Vision' and are awesome. Even though everyone is complaining about the dub, it was great, the conversations felt modern and natural, really well done. I really love the banter and dialogue they have!

The graphics range from meh to excellent, the animations are mind blowingly good. I really enjoyed the battle system, also playing around with with weapon goes in which slot and how it's used in a combo. The camping system was also fun. I was able to have the best buffs making the potroast stew every time when I camped, after defeating a few Garula's, selling off items I found and purchasing cooking materials.

I only found 1 of the phantom swords, in the dungeon where you get the summon. So I'm hoping when I go back and replay I'll find the other 2. Using the phantom sword technique was really fun too, almost like a limit break. The summon, ramuh, was awesome as you've probably seen in a video. SO GOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.

Super spoiler about the ending of the demo story info there's some pretty concept art, with japanese dialogue and subtitles. We find out regis has died, lucis is blown to trout, and Noctis and LUNAFREYA NOX FLUERET OF TENEBRAE are pronounced dead. So now I'm more confused about the stella/luna situation considering her new full name revealed :P

This demo was worth the 9 year wait, and now I've been left with the feeling of only wanting to play the full game.

I really can't believe I just played the game, even if it was a demo.

No complaints!

Fox
03-18-2015, 01:23 AM
This demo was worth the 9 year wait

When someone says a demo was worth a 9 year wait...

...I can't help but feel somewhat optimistic.

FFFFsephychibi
03-18-2015, 01:47 AM

Haha! YAY! It just gave a really good sense of what FFXV will be. It still feels nostalgic like a older FF, but more modern gameplay and graphics, I just love how the characters react to a lot of things, pick on each other, it brings a new level of immersion.

TBH I enjoyed this demo more than the full FF13, the gameplay concepts presented and the potential battle system depth (mind you without magic and weather system) was really satisfying.

Fox
03-18-2015, 01:49 AM
And presumably what we see in the demo is all quite early game stuff. So some basic weapons and some basic skills at low-ish levels.

I'm trying to imagine what we've seen in the demo, with full magic system, scaled up to a late game lv100 fight against Ultima Weapon.

Vyk
03-18-2015, 06:04 AM
Without reading the spoilers, all I can say is it gave me a headache. But that's just due to personal gripes. There's a weird learning curve if you haven't played many games like it. The combat is like a cross of Dragon Age and Xenoblade Chronicles

One major gripe is no options for changing controls. And dear God I cannot handle normal camera controls. I spent an entire fight looking at the sky or the ground. So that was a huge turn-off. And then it gets night time, and they're like "Make camp". But they don't tell you really how to make camp. And then a bunch of monsters show up and they're a lot stronger since its getting night time. And the game's like "Strong monsters show up at night, go to your camp wand wait it out". And before that there was an option to warp to camp. But nope. It disappeared. So I try to kill all the monsters so I can just hoof it to camp. But for every one I killed, 10 more showed up. And these dog things were able to one-shot me from behind and I was constantly running out of HP or MP and looking at the ground or the sky and AUGH. It lasted for like an hour, they just kept coming, and the only thing that made it stop was when morning came. I didn't technically win the fight. It just ended. After an hour. And a massive headache

But that's just my inexperience with the game world, and the matter of principle that I wasn't just going to run away. I was going to win the fight outright or outlast it. But ugh

Outside of that it ran wonderfully, looked and sounded beautiful. I swear they called what's her face Cindy. And they still have doofy names, but they're fine with shortening them. When you train with Gladiolus it tells you to fight Gladio. Which sounds much better. And Prompto sounds like Michelangelo from the Ninja Turtles. So I'm fine with him now

Once I get used to the mechanics, I would definitely say they are on the right track. But you will most likely want to do the tutorial. I think I didn't pay enough attention. And still the camera controls haunt me..

Freya
03-18-2015, 02:20 PM
Super spoiler about the ending of the demo story info there's some pretty concept art, with japanese dialogue and subtitles. We find out regis has died, lucis is blown to trout, and Noctis and LUNAFREYA NOX FLUERET OF TENEBRAE are pronounced dead. So now I'm more confused about the stella/luna situation considering her new full name revealed :P
!
WAIT SO THEY NAMED HER FREYA?! I HAVE ANOTHER CHARACTER NAMED FREYA?! I'm excited.

Meltdown
03-18-2015, 02:47 PM
^ Probably just a pointless tidbit, but the character Freya in FFIX was dragoon job class, and Freya in Norse mythology is the Goddess of love, beauty, war and death. Could Lunafreya Nox Fleuret also be (or eventually turn into) the dragoon lady from the early PS3 trailers?

Edit: 'Fleuret' is also French for 'fencing foil, which looks similar to the weapon the dragoon lady had in the 2011 trailer. Sorry if this has already been mentioned elsewhere.

Freya
03-18-2015, 03:03 PM
It's also my username!

Fox
03-18-2015, 03:08 PM
I dunno why I would be so annoyed if it turns out Stella was renamed. The game isn't out yet, the character would still be the same, it makes absolutely no sense that I would be annoyed if we had Luna Nox Fleuret but not Stella Nox Fleuret.

Yet I would be. Here's hoping sisters!

Mirage
03-18-2015, 05:49 PM
I'm going to be watching videos of it on youtube. You should as well!

Since I don't have a PS4, I can't go out and get it yet. And I won't be getting a PS4 for Type-0. If XV was coming out... well, that's a whole different story. ^^;

Why not get a PS4 for both Type 0 and 15?

I dunno why I would be so annoyed if it turns out Stella was renamed. The game isn't out yet, the character would still be the same, it makes absolutely no sense that I would be annoyed if we had Luna Nox Fleuret but not Stella Nox Fleuret.

You're annoyed because you want two women instead of one.

Loony BoB
03-18-2015, 06:02 PM
Personally I think I'd be annoyed if only because I really prefer the Stella design and because the Stella we have seen so far has shown much more character than Luna. Once the game is out, I'm sure these feelings will become fairly redundant.

Sephiroth
03-18-2015, 06:58 PM
Very soon I will be streaming it so whoever wants to watch is is invited to do so.

Noctis Caelum
03-18-2015, 09:50 PM
Not sure if anybody cares, but here are some of the new songs from the demo:

Somnus - Instrumental Violin version (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7irn-e7llQ)
Daytime Battle Theme (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TwhD8e1oZM)
Night/Cave Battle Theme (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zyUwE00vbs)
Camping Theme (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLre9TySTBw)

Chocobo Theme, Summon theme missing. There's also a new edit version for Omnis Lacrima that appears in the demo.

Lack of funds, really. I mean I'll get Type-0 eventually, but it's $70 in Canada. Along with the PS4, which will be $500 with tax. I most definitely do not want Type-0 that badly. I'll save the money and buy one when XV is out though.

Fox
03-18-2015, 10:05 PM

You're annoyed because you want two women instead of one.

THIS IS A VERY PLAUSIBLE HYPOTHESIS!

Although if Stella were in and Luna was dropped, I don't think I'd mind that.

Not sure if anybody cares, but here are some of the new songs from the demo:

I like Shimomura in general, but she's really stepping up her game here!

fat_moogle
03-19-2015, 01:32 AM

I'M GOING TO SLEEP NOW SO THAT WHEN I WAKE IT'S ONLY 1 MORE SLEEP TO GO.

DMKA
03-19-2015, 04:15 AM
Just finished it and I have to say the most interesting portion by far was the ending. It was so confusing in all the right ways, and raised so many questions I'm dying to know the answers to. I feel like I did the first time I saw the Kingdom Hearts secret ending all those years ago.

The demo itself was great though. It's a beautiful game, though it's obvious that more tweaking needs to be done and that they were just trying to get the demo out without really optimizing anything. This is further evident by how many features are flat out missing and inaccessible.

Honest I can't understand why anyone would complain about the English voice acting. It's great. All the conversations sound realistic and natural, and everyone's voice fits their character perfectly, except maybe Cidney's. She's laying on that stereotypical southern accent a tad thick in my opinion. :p

The Ramuh summon is INCREDIBLE OH MY GOD JESUS CHRIST IT'S AWESOME. No really, everything from the animations, to how he comes out, to the FREAKING MUSIC is just fantastic.

The battle system feels really awkward and strange at first and takes a lot of getting used to. After four or so hours with the demo I still don't quite have defense/parrying down and still end up getting smacked around a lot. But it's quite fun none the less!

Hmm what else...oh yeah, exploring that one cave was really fun too, as was the stealth portion where you tail the behemoth which felt so...different to be in an FF game, as did all the real world stuff, like all those cars, and that gas station, and the vacant billboard.

So, yeah, I'm extremely happy with what we've been given so far. If there's one bad thing I can say about the demo, it's that it made me anxious to play the actual game 100x more than before and I have no idea when that's finally going to happen. Before 2017, I hope.

Scotty_ffgamer
03-19-2015, 04:59 AM
They definitely called her Cindy. The subtitles agree as well. She talks about her dad, and I'm pretty certain the party references him as Cid. It seems when we were told that we would have to wait to find out if she was "the Cid" of this game that she actually isn't. Just his daughter. I wonder if the ambiguity had to do with the possibility that they may receive backlash from her, so they just made the decision to not make her "the Cid" rather than changing her design. Maybe not. I'll have to go through that scene again to see if I'm remembering wrong though as I had to rush out the door for work as soon as I got to the end of the main objectives of the demo

I enjoyed the demo. I need to see more of the game though. I'm intrigued how summoning is going to work, and I'm also interested in seeing how magic comes into play. I'm digging the monster design, and I'm interested in seeing what other varieties of things appear. I also LOVE the music. There are some technical things, but I'm certain that will all be fixed in the final build. This isn't even the final version of the engine the game is running in. I wish we could have ridden Chocobos as that would have made traversing the place a little less tedious. I also hope there is a little more variety in the things the party says in battles and as your wandering in the final game.

All in all, it just felt so good and monumental finally playing this game after all of these years. I was getting goosebumps the moment the title screen popped up!

Mirage
03-19-2015, 10:38 AM
Lack of funds, really. I mean I'll get Type-0 eventually, but it's $70 in Canada. Along with the PS4, which will be $500 with tax. I most definitely do not want Type-0 that badly. I'll save the money and buy one when XV is out though.[/INDENT]

[/COLOR]

It's as expensive in canada as it is elsewhere, as a canadian dollar isn't worth as much as an US dollar. It's 480 kr in norway, which is actually more than 70 cad, but I still consider it a pretty cheap game. However, I actually preordered it for 30 british pounds (roughly 360 kr) some time ago, so I saved a decent amount there. I don't have a PS4 yet though.

JunkoEve
03-20-2015, 12:47 AM
There are 2 objectives in the game which I found while observing the post sign.
One was to eliminate the sabertusks and the other the alpha garulas.
I find defeating the alpha garulas quest, astoundingly difficult. I died (game over) 7 times and was at level 32 at the time. No help from summon or phantom swords. Has anyone tried this? There were 2 alpha garulas in the area close to the gas station. My fight lasted 2 straight days and I still couldn't beat the herd. The soldiers, sabertusks, goblins, night sabertusks keep interfering with my focus. My team was practically decimated. There was only me and gladio left. And our HP will only heal up to 1/3 of our full HP. Prompto died within 3 minutes into the fight, Ignis after 1 days worth. I didn't bother using phoenix downs, coz I know Prompto will just end up dying again. Come the third day, Noct was too tired to fight anymore, and I let him die...........

And someone mentioned you could fight a tonberry at night in the cave.....Is this true?

fat_moogle
03-20-2015, 01:02 AM
Sounds like the game can pose quite a challenge! Bearing in mind that in the final game enemies will likely have certain elemental weakness and stuff that aren't available here due to magic not being implemented. I look forward to getting hands on with this tomorrow. NO...TODAY. OMG IT'S TYPE-0 LAUNCH DAAAAAAAAY \o/

JunkoEve
03-20-2015, 01:13 AM
Sounds like the game can pose quite a challenge! Bearing in mind that in the final game enemies will likely have certain elemental weakness and stuff that aren't available here due to magic not being implemented. I look forward to getting hands on with this tomorrow. NO...TODAY. OMG IT'S TYPE-0 LAUNCH DAAAAAAAAY \o/

I liked the challenge, I will try again. I'm a bit disappointed I couldn't fight the catoblepas. I'm going to try beat the Behemoth without summon/phantom sword as well. Getting the right timing for parry is key. Plus, drain blades during low HP and Tempest when all enemies surround you is key. This strategy feels very final fantasy to me. Overall, it's a huge improvement for SE. The only problem I have is getting to focus on the enemies and locking it down, especially when there's multitudes of them coming from every direction. People who aren't used to Action RPG will be quite pissed........

Pheesh
03-20-2015, 06:31 AM
Long post is long.

I just finished it, my initial impressions are this. The battle system itself is awesome apart from a few flaws that really detract from it, the main one being that I absolutely HATE the targeting system. While battling you are forced to wildly swing the camera around all over the place while you hold R1 or mash it until you are targeting the enemy that you want. In the demo at least it didn't seem like L2 and R2 were mapped to anything so would it have been so difficult to have R1 lock on to someone permanently and then use those two buttons to cycle through enemies a la Kingdom Hearts or Type-0? This gripe was alleviated somewhat when I raised the camera sensitivity, because by default it is soooo slooooow, and when enemies are flying all over the place it was super frustrating trying to keep track of the same one. This also screwed with the warping system because one of the ways you regain health is to warp to higher ground, but half the time I could not for the life of me lock on to the higher ground I wanted to warp to. I would try to target it and just end up locking on to behemoths ass or some random enemy, very frustrating.

Anyway, that is the bad, luckily there is a lot more good. The combat system itself is very fun and has a lot more depth to it than i thought it would. Considering that you're really only holding down one button a lot of the time there is a lot of room for experimenting and I don't think I'd even tried out all the weapon combinations by the time the demo finished. I look forward to there hopefully being more weapons and abilities in the main game to experiment with. The AI seems decent for the most part, you're not constantly having to revive them or anything and they do a decent job of coming to your aid when you're in a low health state (although in the later game I found they were taking ages to revive me for whatever reason. I think as the enemies get stronger and there are more of them your party are too preoccupied to heal your or something). It did seem like I was doing basically all of the damage in the party though, and my character is supposedly a lower level, hopefully the main game will come with some kind of AI setting that lets you select how each party member behaves.

Visuals were decent. They definitely seemed better when I was watching the trailers for the game, but it's very obvious this demo isn't optimized so hopefully they get that sorted out by the time the full version is released. The framerate gets bogged down pretty hard sometimes, and despite the scenery being breathtaking in design I feel like the graphics don't really do it justice. Pretty sure all of these things will be fixed though. Those are all real nitpicks though, the battle animations look amazing and if you're not looking too far into the distance the game looks pretty stunning. There is a moment where you have to track behemoth through some mist though and the foggy effect really hurt my eyes to look at, that may just be me though.

The music was amazing, which shouldn't come as any surprise, and I played with the English voice acting and that was also awesome I thought. It's very stereotypical, but the flow of conversation is great, nothing they say is too cheesy, and it definitely works to show you the bond between the characters. That said, Cindy's voice was irritating, and saying things like "Y'all come back now, y'hear?" didn't help matters.

I think that's about everything, I'll probably post more after I play more, I want to see if the camera gets any easier to work with as you play more, and I only gave the entire map a quick once over, so I don't feel like I've truly explored a lot of it.

TL;DR Fun demo, looking forward to the full game. They really need to fix the targeting system.

Kozmos
03-20-2015, 07:23 AM
They definitely called her Cindy. The subtitles agree as well. She talks about her dad, and I'm pretty certain the party references him as Cid. It seems when we were told that we would have to wait to find out if she was "the Cid" of this game that she actually isn't. Just his daughter. I wonder if the ambiguity had to do with the possibility that they may receive backlash from her, so they just made the decision to not make her "the Cid" rather than changing her design. Maybe not. I'll have to go through that scene again to see if I'm remembering wrong though as I had to rush out the door for work as soon as I got to the end of the main objectives of the demo

It's just weird, cause in the Japanese version she's named Cidney, obviously a nod to her Cid heritage, and so I just don't understand why they would completely remove that in the translation - especially when Cideny (Sidney) is a western name. Based on things Tabata said in the past (like, "you'll have to play the demo to find out her connection to Cid") it seems that she was never intended to be the actual Cid, but why remove the cool connection?

Sephiroth
03-20-2015, 09:13 AM

It's just weird, cause in the Japanese version she's named Cidney, obviously a nod to her Cid heritage, and so I just don't understand why they would completely remove that in the translation - especially when Cideny (Sidney) is a western name. Based on things Tabata said in the past (like, "you'll have to play the demo to find out her connection to Cid") it seems that she was never intended to be the actual Cid, but why remove the cool connection?

Yes, that is totally random. But I think the "connection to Cid" thing could have been meant as she very well is the female Cid just "connection" as in "relations/similiarities/characteristics to the character of Cid as we know them".

FFFFsephychibi
03-20-2015, 01:52 PM
While battling you are forced to wildly swing the camera around all over the place while you hold R1 or mash it until you are targeting the enemy that you want. In the demo at least it didn't seem like L2 and R2 were mapped to anything so would it have been so difficult to have R1 lock on to someone permanently and then use those two buttons to cycle through enemies a la Kingdom Hearts or Type-0? This gripe was alleviated somewhat when I raised the camera sensitivity, because by default it is soooo slooooow, and when enemies are flying all over the place it was super frustrating trying to keep track of the same one. This also screwed with the warping system because one of the ways you regain health is to warp to higher ground, but half the time I could not for the life of me lock on to the higher ground I wanted to warp to. I would try to target it and just end up locking on to behemoths ass or some random enemy, very frustrating..

For those of you who are gonna play the demo and who are plying the demo, SE did not do a very good job of explaining the lock on system.

On Ps4:

Press R1 and then hold R1 for a second and release (or click r3) to lock onto an enemy, (you can't cycle) but this will stabilize the camera.

To warp to a tower to recover MP: (during battle only)

Tap R1 to lock off of an enemy, aim your camera at the top of the tower with the right stick (you will see blue warp circle) and press X

Once I figured this out combat was less chaotic, it's a shame they didn't explain it better.

I would agree having to press and hold R1 to actually lock is unneeded, it should just be press R1 and have a button to cycle(like kh1)
I love how the enemies don't stand still and I think that they are always moving makes it challenging, it would be toooooo easy if they just stood there.

Pheesh
03-20-2015, 03:25 PM
I knew all that, but that lock on to the warp tower thing does not work as easily as that explanation makes it seem. When you try aiming up at a tower it is still very likely you'll lock on to an enemy and warp to them instead, especially if that enemy is large like behemoth was. Also, the fact that you can't cycle means the only way to lock on to a specific target is to mash r1 while adjusting the camera slightly like I mentioned. It means you just have to attack whatever is closest to you basically and really makes the game less strategic as a result.

That is my impression after a few hours though, maybe it is a system that takes practice and gets better the more you get used to it, or maybe they will refine it slightly. Either way, it's definitely a source of frustration after putting hundreds of hours into a game like KH.

FFFFsephychibi
03-20-2015, 03:37 PM
Yes, you're most likely targeting enemies when trying to get to a tower because you're accidentally or intentionally pressing R1, (trust me I've done this too, I thought warping to a tower involved pressing R1 and it does not)

You cannot be locked onto an enemy if you want to warp to a tower, you have to aim your camera AT the tower with your right stick (the one that controls the camera) and a blue warp circle will pop up and then you press X. Your not supposed to lock on when warping to a tower at all.

Now having to re-explain it, this is also over complicated to warp to a tower XD!!!

(also I understand you guys know how to use a controller and it's functions but I just wanted to be clear with my words!!!)

I keep seeing posts about the same problems and frustrations I experienced, but once I sorted out the controls, the battle experience was much better!

Aulayna
03-20-2015, 06:37 PM
I only found 1 of the phantom swords, in the dungeon where you get the summon. So I'm hoping when I go back and replay I'll find the other 2. Using the phantom sword technique was really fun too, almost like a limit break. The summon, ramuh, was awesome as you've probably seen in a video. SO GOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.

These? (bottom-right list) I have no idea how I use them.

FFFFsephychibi
03-20-2015, 07:28 PM
Oh cool!!!

It looks like you might have 2 or 3 of them, I ended up getting all 4, I think either once you have 2 of the swords you can activate the technique by pressing L1 and R1 at the same time (and when your mp is completely full)
Check your weapon menu: Above the weapon slots there should be celtic-ish symbols, those are the 'phantom blades, the number of celtic icons reflects how many swords you've acquired for the technique! You can also toggle to them, as they will tell you what buttons to press to execute a technique in that mode.

I restarted the demo today, you can see I have 2 phantom swords right under where it says lv 13.

Fox
03-21-2015, 01:21 AM
I have the third one but I dunno how to use it. It says 'Hold L1' and I'm like I GOT THIS but nothing seems to happen :/

Sephiroth
03-21-2015, 08:58 AM
I will be streaming Episode Duscae in about 5 hours or so. Everyone who wants to watch it, is invited to do so. Maybe I will be streaming Type Zero afterwards, It will be shown on the "Streams" list of the site.

FFFFsephychibi
03-21-2015, 03:02 PM
I have the third one but I dunno how to use it. It says 'Hold L1' and I'm like I GOT THIS but nothing seems to happen :/

Can you activate armiger? Or can you just not use the specific move when your in armiger mode? (like knights shield etc)

Fox
03-21-2015, 04:51 PM

Can you activate armiger? Or can you just not use the specific move when your in armiger mode? (like knights shield etc)

Ah do you have to do it when in Armiger mode? I thought the Armiger stuff gave you access to separate abilities at any one time (because you can warp whenever). I'm not sure I ever tried using Knights Shield (which is the one giving me problems) when in the Armiger mode...