PDA

View Full Version : Have you played Chrono Cross?

Pike
04-02-2015, 05:00 PM
What did you think of it?

Pumpkin
04-02-2015, 05:02 PM
Was not for Pumpkin

Kalevala
04-02-2015, 05:20 PM
Easily one of the best games of all time. Top five, probably.

I Took the Red Pill
04-02-2015, 05:42 PM
Where is the option for "Yes, and the immensity of my erection after playing it warped the fabric of spacetime and nearly created a black hole" ?

Spooniest
04-02-2015, 05:43 PM
Where is the option for "Yes, and the immensity of my erection after playing it warped the fabric of spacetime and nearly created a black hole" ?

Eww.

I liked it. It was extensive enough, and I have fond memories of voicing the characters with my ex-wife.

I didn't care much for the twists in the story near the end, but then, not many did.

Freya
04-02-2015, 06:37 PM
Yes. Still haven't beat it though. :( I liked it. I actually played Cross before I played Trigger.

Vermachtnis
04-02-2015, 06:54 PM
I liked it. I liked running around and recruiting everyone, although I didn't like that it took three playthroughs and even then you couldn't have everyone at the same time. And the music was great.

FFIX Choco Boy
04-02-2015, 11:05 PM
Have I played it before? HAVE I PLAYED IT BEFORE? You know the one thing better than Chocobos? The ENTIRETY of Chrono Cross. There's not a part of this game I don't love. I did a stream of it where I beat it 100% while voicing every character with a unique voice over on Twitch when I first started, and it was some of the most fun I've ever had. Seriously, there needs to be a "Yes, I played it and the entirety of my gaming experience shifted as a result of it."

fat_moogle
04-03-2015, 12:11 AM
No, I've not played any of the Chrono games. Can't even say that I've seen any gameplay of it either, to be honest xD

Ayen
04-03-2015, 12:33 AM
Nope.

metagloria
04-03-2015, 02:32 AM
Excellent, excellent game. Not perfect by any stretch, but soooo great. Top 5 all-time OST easily​.

Sephex
04-03-2015, 06:10 AM
Yes. It is an excellent game. Those who didn't like it were just mad that it wasn't literally Chrono Trigger 2. Also, the large cast of characters is a dumb reason to hate the game, as well.

The game had a very cool story that didn't pull punches. Aside from the cumbersome set up time with elements, the battle system was also unique, original, and entertaining. I also like how the whole world is simply set in a small group of islands, but still feels very grand in scale. I played it when it was brand new on day one, and many times since.

And the soundtrack? One of the best in the jRPG genre--easily.

theundeadhero
04-03-2015, 07:21 AM
I enjoyed it less than Chrono Trigger, but I have many many fond memories of playing this with my friends as drunk teenagers.

Pumpkin
04-03-2015, 02:33 PM
Yes. It is an excellent game. Those who didn't like it were just mad that it wasn't literally Chrono Trigger 2. .

I umm played it before Chrono Trigger, so no?

Just wasn't to my tastes

blackmage_nuke
04-03-2015, 04:11 PM
The main battle theme was really annoying and for a game with such an insanely large roster with a compulsary leader, a 3 person party is not enough. Other than that I enjoyed it but not as much as Chrono Trigger.

VeloZer0
04-03-2015, 07:05 PM
I loved it, but I feel it is best to think of it as a game that reminds you of Chrono Trigger, not as it's sequel.

Forsaken Lover
04-20-2015, 01:36 AM
I made a whole thread about playing it.

It had one of the best video game soundtracks ever.
YoEMaWrQBQM

I also adored Kid, one of my favorite RPG heroines.

The game had its issues, mostly towards the very end, but its highs more than outweigh its lows.

CimminyCricket
04-20-2015, 01:42 AM
I'v estarted it, but I never made it very far. Maybe two or three hours in. I think the fair?

Zelfina Ai'ada
05-02-2015, 05:57 AM
I made a whole thread about playing it.

It had one of the best video game soundtracks ever.

I also adored Kid, one of my favorite RPG heroines.

YES! While I don't adore it nearly as much as Trigger, I still love Cross. I also absolutely love Kid, and I agree the soundtrack is just beautiful. One of my favorite all-time video game songs is the 1st world map theme:

W69r1-tfY20 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W69r1-tfY20)

krissy
05-02-2015, 06:13 AM
i bought it off e-bay and then burned it to try and get it to work when the discs started messing up at end of disc 1 (as apparently often happens due to a specific batch they released?)
anyway it is one of my fave ps1 games for sure

escobert
05-02-2015, 09:34 PM
I never played Trigger and I never got very far into Cross. I always wanted to though! A lot of Square games in that time era looked really cool to me then I'd start playing and be bored.

krissy
05-07-2015, 04:47 AM
most of the best parts of trigger and cross is the connectivity of the writing between times/worlds
and the general ambience
world and atmosphere building were both top notch

Ayen
05-07-2015, 05:08 AM
Just wanted to say I have this game for PlayStation now. I'm going to play CT first (long overdue) and then give this one a whirl. Some time in the foreseeable future. I haven't decided what all I want to play in June yet.

Randy
05-28-2015, 05:30 AM
I'm one of that villified minority that preferred it over Chrono Trigger. Brilliant and completely unique game!

Sephex
05-28-2015, 05:55 AM
Yes. It is an excellent game. Those who didn't like it were just mad that it wasn't literally Chrono Trigger 2. .

I umm played it before Chrono Trigger, so no?

Just wasn't to my tastes

Didn't notice this post way back when, but still, allow me to elaborate a bit. That statement I made was meant to address people who simply didn't like it just because they played Chrono Trigger beforehand and were upset that Chrono Cross wasn't more like CT. I didn't literally meant that everyone who disliked it only disliked it because of comparisons to CT.

I don't know, after 15 years it gets old. I'm one to like when something I'm into goes for a drastic change. Not all the time, sure, but most of the time. Another example of this was playing as Raiden in Metal Gear Solid 2. I liked it. Yeah, I liked Snake better, and the shock of playing someone else so suddenly did kind of make me grumble a bit (I played that on day one without knowing anything about the Tanker chapter of the game at all). But still, I really liked how MGS2 didn't go the route of "Battle hardened Snake grumbles through another adventure" just like Chrono Cross wasn't "Another set of people time travel and save the world again."

DMKA
05-29-2015, 12:38 AM
I just thought it was okay. I had fun with it but never had any desire to ever pick it up again after finishing it once.

Forsaken Lover
05-29-2015, 12:33 PM
The music in Chrono Cross is better than the music in Chrono Trigger.

Just a fact.

And CT has a frickin' amazing score so that just proves CC had a beyond amazing OST.

Bright Shield
05-29-2015, 03:19 PM
Loved it, and bought a copy of the OST since it was simply amazing.