PDA

View Full Version : Chapter One Discussion - ***Chapter One Spoilers Inside***

Loony BoB
03-19-2015, 09:42 PM
In this thread discuss chapter one. You can discuss anything that happens in chapter one without marking it as a spoiler. That means if you haven't completed this chapter, you probably shouldn't read this thread...

Anything that happens in chapter two and onwards should be marked with SPOILER tags like so...

Something happens!

...which results in something like this (click it): Something happens!

Loony BoB
03-19-2015, 09:55 PM
So I just watched the opening scene of the game and I am already overloaded with so many feels. :(

Aulayna
03-19-2015, 10:11 PM
Cid's voice acting is the best.

Loony BoB
03-19-2015, 10:54 PM
Yeah he's voiced really well. Just finished chapter one now. Wait, what, an Ultima Bomb? That sounds terrifying and just a little funny at the same time.

Psychotic
03-19-2015, 11:59 PM
I don't know, I thought Cid's voice acting was kinda lame :p

The stuff with Chichiri was sad, and his rider (forgot his name already, it began with an I) not wanting to die was depressing. But then we didn't have much context as to why we should care if the Rubrum was being invaded or indeed why we should hate those doing it.

THEY USED A L'CIE AND A JAMMER, THOSE MONSTERS!

Well, uh, okay. How... awful? I guess?

Loved getting to unleash Odin though! I died the first time I took over as the cadets in that fight (shut up :() and second time around the Odin section of the fight lasted three seconds with a mighty Zanetsuken landing a 1HKO :cool:

Loony BoB
03-20-2015, 12:02 PM
Yeah, it was kind of hilarious being Odin and ending the fight before it even begins. Died with the cadets first time as well, learned quickly after that. It doesn't tell you what to do in this game to a major extent, but it's pretty easy to catch on regardless.

Chichiri and Izana (I think that's right) was just the saddest opening of a game ever for me.

Psychotic
03-20-2015, 12:05 PM
Ah, yeah, Izana. At one point that got depressing as hell, but then they kind of Lord of the Ringsed it by repeatedly fake outs. Also what was the "Ace! I NEED ACE!" "Yes hello I'm Ace. Well, off I pop, have fun dying!" business all about?

Loony BoB
03-20-2015, 12:08 PM
I think they would have spent time mourning if it wasn't for the fact that they had soldiers pointing guns at their heads every five seconds. War's a bitch.

Although we do find out that they seem to have some kind of massive lack of feeling towards death and that they apparently forget people fast or something like that, so I imagine this is a large part of why they were so blank-faced about it all. Although it does leave me really wondering about Izana, and what got him to the point that he had so many feelings about his death. I get the feeling death is going to be a huge theme in this game after the cemetery scene.

Psychotic
03-20-2015, 12:25 PM
He wasn't even dead at the time though! Get the wounded out! And all that!

Loony BoB
03-20-2015, 01:08 PM
You heard them. It was too late. :( If they spent their time trying to carry out the wounded they'd have inevitably been easy pickings for the enemy.

Aulayna
03-20-2015, 01:43 PM
I've just started Chapter 4. That fight after Odin, with the Cadets vs the l'Cie machine, is the hardest thing I've done in the game so far. The laser is so faintly telegraphed in that fight and if you get hit by it once you're pretty much dead due to it knocking you down 90% of the time.

Loony BoB
03-20-2015, 01:48 PM
Feel free to start threads for the other chapters Aulayna! I would start one for chapter two but I don't feel I've gone far enough into it.

Aulayna
03-20-2015, 01:51 PM
That Odin comment was in regards to the bit in Chapter One! Just saying it's the hardest thing I've done so far xD

Loony BoB
03-20-2015, 01:53 PM
Oh, yeah, I'm just looking forward to catching up and then being able to see all these posts from people who beat me there so I can react to their reactions. :D

fat_moogle
03-20-2015, 09:10 PM
I thought Ace would have stayed with Izama whilst he was dying. Cradled him or something. But they were like "nope, too late!" Then whilst they turned their backs Izama went through a whole monologue without them presumably hearing? It could have been more powerful than it was.

But then...

...do Class Zero even have any emotions? Seeing how they were "created" by Al-Racia or whatever she's called? Well, at least we know now why they're named after cards...they're just puppets :O (Just got to chapter 2 and not sure if that was mentioned at the beginning of that or the end of 1)

Loony BoB
03-20-2015, 09:48 PM
Honestly, I think the being alone kind of thing is part of what made it so powerful.

Pumpkin
03-20-2015, 09:54 PM
I'm watching a video LP, can I talk too?

The chocobo made me :G more than anything else

Del Murder
03-24-2015, 07:30 AM
Yeah I agree with Psy that the opening didn't provide a whole lot of context as to why I should care about any of this. The four countries with the crystals are cool but why is one attacking the other one? Also that scene with the dude and his dying chocobo was looooooong and without some clue as to what its significance was or who these people are, I couldn't really get into it.

The game is fun so far and I like trying out all the characters. I also like the time limit on side activities. It really makes you think about how you spend your time and makes that time spent to be more significant. The battles are cool but the controls take some getting used to. The spinning screen when you move the camera is disorienting and probably the worst part so far.

Aulayna
03-24-2015, 11:11 AM
To be fair, the war and the reason why is the bulk of the story of the game. The stuff with the Chocobo and the guy at the start becomes one of the more interesting sidestories you can do via the Events between missions. It does require multiple playthroughs though (on both counts). It could be better told, but honestly I feel like it works better the way it's setup in Type-0 - it actually feels like a game in itself as you piece things together.

I mean it's not like FFVII explained within the first hour of the game, why you're blowing up a reactor besides "Shina-Ra are bad and Mako energy is bad."

Del Murder
03-24-2015, 05:05 PM
FFVII does kind of explain that it is to save the planet, and it doesn't throw out a whole bunch of country names and terminology in the first few minutes to confuse you. Your goal is simple: go blow up the reactor. As opposed to Type 0 with warring nations, crystal jammers and a whole bunch of military types talking about who knows what. Dropping the player into the action with little explanation is certainly a powerful storytelling device but there is a fine line between it being mysterious versus convoluted.

I appreciate that the chocobo scene has implications throughout the game and I've already learned more about it; it was just way to drawn out and gave too much screen time to a non player character at the start of a game.

Psychotic
03-24-2015, 09:46 PM
FFVII also does the very clever thing of having your avatar, Cloud, not care about the reasons for blowing up the reactor to begin with and as he discovers more he starts to care more, and the player along with him. Plus it didn't dump all of the party members on you from the word go with very little explanation as to who they are.

The chocobo soldier is a good story, but it's not told well. Which sums up Chapter One neatly.

Aulayna
04-01-2015, 05:17 AM
Qu'mi is a bitch on Finis difficulty. Odin got 2 shot by the jammer lol. Took like 5 attempts before I managed it.

Christmas
01-05-2023, 11:11 AM
Wtf is chapter 1?