Rostum
03-20-2015, 03:56 AM
Why is this not a thing yet? :mad2:

Pumpkin
03-20-2015, 04:35 AM
You got my hopes up :(:(:(:(

Vyk
03-20-2015, 05:06 AM
Yeah, I don't even like the game, but when I saw this, I was all hopeful that it'd happen. I'm all for them releasing all their old (and new) games on PC and whatnot

FFIX Choco Boy
03-20-2015, 07:36 AM
I heard it was because they don't have the files for FFIX anymore. Not sure how true it is, though.

Mirage
03-20-2015, 07:55 AM
To me, it is insane that someone would lose the source code and assets for a significant game like this. Especially when it's a supposedly serious company like SE. Then again, they also lost the assets for Kingdom Hearts, so idk.

Leigh
03-20-2015, 06:02 PM
It may come to PS4 if Sony decide to milk more money out of their consumers by announcing Playstation 4 variants of their PS Classics lineup. I don't believe a Steam/PC version will ever appear since it was never ported to PC as part of its original release schedule. VII and VIII was a piece of cake to re-release.

DanielCLFFF13
03-20-2015, 06:08 PM
I thought this was a real deal
63641:p

But if they did want port it, I'll totally get it :)

Vyk
03-20-2015, 10:24 PM
They could still easily give it the HD treatment the same way they did with Kingdom Hearts. Except for the fact that it's a generation older so the resolution and aspect ratio may need some tweaking. I presume the PS4 has upscale abilities though so really only one of those things is a problem, and aspect ratios should be an easy fix

All-in-all, I don't think they need the assets to get something off the ground

LowCaloriePie
03-20-2015, 11:12 PM
I would absolutely adore an HD release of IX (especially for PC), but I feel like it's more complicated than we assume it is to 'just' upscale everything. And if they actually lost the assets like they did with Kingdom Hearts, I don't feel like they'll go through the effort of recreating everything. :shrug:

Colonel Angus
03-20-2015, 11:28 PM
To me, it is insane that someone would lose the source code and assets for a significant game like this. Especially when it's a supposedly serious company like SE. Then again, they also lost the assets for Kingdom Hearts, so idk.
I can't believe this. This is frustrating & hilarious all in one balled up emotion.

Leigh
03-21-2015, 03:16 AM
I can't believe this. This is frustrating & hilarious all in one balled up emotion.

Companies do stupid things. The BBC decided to delete huge quantities of its archives from its black and white days to 'save space'. Ironically, the best television shows that the BBC ever produced tend to come from these particular decades. Square-Enix has always seemed to suffer from a severe case of myopia though.

Kyros
03-21-2015, 03:34 AM
Bringing this game to steam would solve one of its main issues too if it were to ever happen: it's slow battle speed.

Rostum
03-22-2015, 06:02 AM
I heard it was because they don't have the files for FFIX anymore. Not sure how true it is, though.

That'd be such a huge shame if it were true. :(

The game's visuals were amazing, yet obstructed from the shitty compression needed for PS1. I've seen a lot of high resolution backgrounds that have been found lately (search for 'The Lost Art of Final Fantasy IX'), and they look incredible. It'd be so nice to have that kind of quality, along with tiny fix-ups like battle speed and loading speeds.