PDA

View Full Version : Persona 2 worth playing?

Ergroilnin
03-20-2015, 07:24 PM
Hey guys,

I am about to finish my P4G plat trophy and so I am thinking about older Persona games. There is no problem with playing P1 or P3P (I played P3:FES way back then so I know whole game anyway) but P2 is actually two games directly connected.

Now the problem is me being European and Sony&licenses being retards, I can only get P2: Innocent Sin and not P2: Eternal Punishment.

So I want to ask if there is even a point to playing P2:IS alone or not?

Skyblade
03-20-2015, 08:04 PM
While they are directly connected, they are also complete stories. Innocent Sin is the original, so you can play it, and finish it, without needing Eternal Punishment. I wouldn't recommend playing Eternal Punishment without playing Innocent Sin, though.

That said, while the writing in the games is great, I don't really recommend the early Persona games. I don't feel they aged particularly well overall, and it wasn't until Persona 3 that I feel the series actually developed its own identity.

Ergroilnin
03-20-2015, 08:54 PM
Oh is that so about the stories? That's fine then I guess. I kind of thought they were more like Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil, where unless you played both, the story didn't really make sense.

Yeah I heard aging wasn't really good to earlier personas but I mean, since I put like over 300 hours to P3 and P4 already, knowing the roots of the series would be cool. Not to mention I need to have some bandaid when everyone except me is playing P5 since I don't have the console :p

Vyk
03-20-2015, 10:39 PM
I dabbled in P2 a lot, but it never really stuck. I have both for PS1 and the one for PSP. And from what I can tell, they are alternate universe tellings, its not a "this happens after this" type sequel. At least from the bits I scathed from it

Also they are extremely slow playing games. Random encounters that have to load, really slow attack animations, you frequently have to spend a good amount of time having long conversations with monsters rather than fighting them. Its also a good idea to go back and forth sometimes, fight one battle, talk another. It can wear on you pretty easily

That being said, the writing was indeed good (too bad the voice acting couldn't match lol but it's campy bad, not bad bad). And I was legitimately interested in the story and characters. And if you're not in a hurry to get through anything, and don't mind lazily drifting through a game with mildly repetitive and slow battle mechanics, it's a really interesting game. I think I just don't have enough free time, and it would be hard for me to feel accomplished if I play for 3 hours and it's mostly just battles and conversations and no story progression

Jessweeee♪
03-20-2015, 11:41 PM
I liked it! Not nearly as much as 3 and 4, but it was pretty cool c:

Yellow_Magic
03-21-2015, 12:28 AM
That being said, the writing was indeed good (too bad the voice acting couldn't match lol but it's campy bad, not bad bad).
This well never not make me giggle like a schoolgirl:

DNNB_tWH9I

Eternal Punishment in particular's one of my all-time favourite games - I love playing as cool 20-somethings in a city environment with one hell of a story (which, yeah, really needs at least some knowledge of the plot in Innocent Sin to fully appreciate).

With regards to Persona 2 as a whole: You get to spread rumours and make them true. In what Universe is that NOT worth playing?

Motdrafin
03-21-2015, 05:14 PM
Persona 2: Innocent Sin is awesome. It is tied with Persona 3 for me as my favorite game. It has an amazing and crazy story (that may get complicated) and extremely likable characters. The gameplay isn't the best, but it is not horrible. You can play Innocent Sin by itself, it is just that the ending of it is disappointing if you don't play Eternal Punishment. Overall, I still say it is a remarkable game, even if you are playing this standalone title.

Ergroilnin
03-21-2015, 06:44 PM
Guess I'll just play IS on my vita since I've bough it already and then if I am hooked I'll just finish it on emulator.

Vyk
03-21-2015, 07:10 PM
One of them was updated and brought over on PSP. They're actually both updated and on PSP but only one got localized. So there's that. If you like the first one, you can play a better version of the second one. There's a group trying to translate the updated first one, but I doubt they're very far. They only started like mid last year. Though on that note, it was the exact opposite for the PS1 release. The second one got fan-translated. So you can play both of those in the same style on emulator if you want. Or if you have a hacked PSP it can play them. But nothing wrong with an emulator in cases like this

Wolf Kanno
05-16-2015, 09:53 PM
Late to the party but the answer is yes.

Ayen
05-16-2015, 10:39 PM
It better be. I already have that and the first one.