PDA

View Full Version : Gambits

Pumpkin
03-24-2015, 05:36 AM
What are some useful gambits in this game? Sharky and I are now up to the annoyingly long Sandsea, but at least it's a good place for grinding. Been taking some time to do some hunts and stuff. Bought all currently available gambits, so could use some help deciding on some good ones! I like this game, but I've never been good at it :greenie:

Character setups:
Vaan: Green Mage, Daggers and Crossbows
Penelo: Tank/Paladin, White Magic, Swords
Balthier: Time Mage, Guns and Hand-Bombs
Fran: Black Mage, Bows and Rods
Basch: Dark Knight, Arcane Magic, Swords, Axes & Hammers, Spears
Ashe: Cleric, White Magic, Staves, Swords

Scotty_ffgamer
03-24-2015, 06:00 AM
i never did much with gambits. I gave everyone cure being used at <70 (or some variation of that as I got better cure spells) at the top, Esuna below that, then everyone attacking the target of the party leader. Any variation to that I just did manually, which was mostly a rare thing. I should have experimented more, but I didn't feel like buying more gambits and didn't find all that many from chests.

Karifean
03-24-2015, 11:39 AM
Elemental-weakness-exploiting Gambits are the best, especially coupled with the elemental staves that power up specific elements, but I don't remember when you get those gambits in original FF XII.

[Enemy: HP = 100% -> Steal] is always nice to have.
The White-Magic-Tank could probably use something like [Self: HP < 50% -> Cure]
If you have Reflect, you could also consider something like
[Ally: Any -> Reflect(ga)] + [Ally: Any -> Aero]
for big boss fights (Demon Wall I for example)

Pumpkin
03-24-2015, 11:45 AM
I just figured out the HP = 100% Steal one today actually. I was having trouble before because I just had it on enemy and then they would keep stealing even after the enemy had no items left. But I figured out what to do with it

I don't have any Self gambits except just Self :( I've been wanting quite a few of them but they aren't available to buy right now

Quindiana Jones
03-30-2015, 06:17 AM
Keeping Bubble, Protect and Shell on everyone are the gambits I remember having. Can't remember anything else, sadly. D:

Colonel Angus
03-30-2015, 06:22 PM
I try to stay away from Buff gamibits, as they just get in the way. Honestly, you only need buffs against really tough enemies anyway.

The stuff I gambit are certain attacks (Bow/gun characters attack flying enemies first, Mages focus on weaknesses or heal status effects).

Dante WolfWood
03-31-2015, 12:57 AM
Playing the international version makes gambits seem a lot more...necessary lol.

I find myself always having a WHM or RDM (Penelo or Vaan) in the main fights. I'm right outside of going to fran's homeland, so I am not too far. This is normally what I have set up though, along with the typical attack/heal gambits.

Gambits for healer:
[Ally:Tank -> Decoy]
[Ally:tank -> Protect]

(Do not use shell if using Decoy!!)

If the hunt/boss has a debuff its weak to, and I own it:

[Foe: Party leader's target ->Debuff]

For tank:

[self: (HP<60) -> Cure or something similar.

I do more here and there, but unfortunately, I'm very limited in my spells right now. I didn't choose BLM because I wrongly assumed that RDM got all the debuffs and low-tier elementals, which it does not. (dang FFXI LOGIC!)

You should also have some gambits for the reflect trick, like someone above previously stated.

Mirage
03-31-2015, 01:40 AM
I forgot how i made it, but I had gambits that would make characters attack things if they were attacked, unless the character I controlled had a target, then they would attack what I was attacking.

You're not playing IZJS are you?

Pumpkin
03-31-2015, 03:10 PM
I am not, no