PDA

View Full Version : UFC vs fictional fantasy fighting games

SuperMillionaire
03-24-2015, 06:14 PM
Over the years, I've played fighting games, such as Street Fighter, Tekken, and Dead or Alive, and enjoyed them, but with the recent rise in popularity of the sport of mixed martial arts and the Ultimate Fighting Championship, I realized that all of these fighting games are basically fictional fantasy versions of the UFC. I think the violence in the UFC is extremely ugly, nasty, disgusting, and uncivilized, but at the same time, I like the fantasy action of the fighting games because it's not real. Magical projectiles, juggle combos, and air combos don't exist in real life, and fights take place in outdoor environments, which sometimes span multiple tiers and areas. In my opinion, Street Fighter shouldn't be called Street Fighter because it looks absolutely nothing like an actual street fight. The tournament within the Street Fighter universe is named the World Warrior tournament, because it invites fighters from around the world to fight, so I think that should have been the title of the series. Tekken means "iron fist" in Japanese, and the tournament in the Tekken universe is called the King of Iron Fist tournament. The tournament in the Dead or Alive universe is called the Dead or Alive tournament, although no one actually dies in the tournament itself. Also, the characters don't look anything like real life UFC fighters, who just wear shorts and a pair of fingerless gloves, and in the case of females, a bra, or an occasional shirt. In the Dead or Alive series, the female characters also tend to have oversized breasts, which is impossible in real life without implants. And in all three game franchises, there are no submissions like there are in the UFC; every fight ends with a knockout.

As much as I hate the UFC, I can't help but wonder how those fighters would fare against fictional fantasy fighting game characters. For instance, in the Street Fighter universe, Chun-Li is said to be "the strongest woman in the world," but how would she fare against the UFC's Ronda Rousey? Now, in another topic, I may have said that she was creepy and scary, but at the same time, I would like to see a fictional clone of her in a fictional fantasy fighting game. How would her fighting style translate into the Street Fighter, Tekken, or Dead or Alive universes? Tecmo and Team Ninja, the companies behind Dead or Alive, created Mila in Dead or Alive 5, who was clearly influenced by MMA, but I would like them to take it a step further and have them create a fictional Ronda Rousey clone in Dead or Alive 6, and perhaps Namco and Capcom can also create fictional Ronda Rousey clones in Tekken 7 and Street Fighter V, respectively, as well.

Mirage
03-24-2015, 11:38 PM
It took you UFC: The game to realize that tekken and DoA weren't realistic portrayals of fighting?

SuperMillionaire
03-28-2015, 05:35 PM
I've never played any UFC video games, but I've seen clips of fights, as well as fights from other MMA organizations such as Bellator and the World Series of Fighting, and they certainly look very different from fights in Street Fighter, Tekken, and Dead or Alive. Now, the latter two are slightly more realistic than the first, because there are no magical projectiles, but they too deviate from reality in that they feature juggle combos, as well as falls from one area of a stage to another.

Slothy
03-28-2015, 05:52 PM
I've never played any UFC video games, but I've seen clips of fights, as well as fights from other MMA organizations such as Bellator and the World Series of Fighting, and they certainly look very different from fights in Street Fighter, Tekken, and Dead or Alive. Now, the latter two are slightly more realistic than the first, because there are no magical projectiles, but they too deviate from reality in that they feature juggle combos, as well as falls from one area of a stage to another.

They may not feature magical projectiles, but make no mistake they are both just as unrealistic as Street Fighter in pretty much every way possible.

Skyblade
03-28-2015, 06:04 PM
Also, I'd like to point out that the UFC is nothing like an actual street fight either. Since there are a ton of rules in place to ensure that the competitors don't kill each other (or even inflict permanent injury).

escobert
03-28-2015, 06:10 PM
Exactly. look at Kimbo Slice. He was a very famous street fighter who went to UFC and got beat up on by everyone.

Depression Moon
03-28-2015, 11:43 PM
I'd like to correct folks that Tekken does have projectiles. Alisa's back back 1&2 is a projectile, Jinpachi has fireballs, and Wang with a certain item equipped can shoot ki blasts.

Mirage
03-29-2015, 12:30 AM
Also, I'd like to point out that the UFC is nothing like an actual street fight either. Since there are a ton of rules in place to ensure that the competitors don't kill each other (or even inflict permanent injury).

Exactly. And a real street fight doens't have 5 minute rounds with breaks where you have a crew of 3 people patching you up the best they can before sending out out again. There's no getting saved by the bell in a real fight. It goes on until the first person stops moving, and the other person either shows mercy or kills (or permanently cripple) them.

Spuuky
03-29-2015, 04:29 AM
I've played some war games, and for some reason they're nothing like actual war. Weird.

I guess it's like they are designing things to be fun entertainment rather than simulations of reality. It's tough to make really realistic games anyway, other than Final Fantasy.

escobert
03-29-2015, 09:55 PM
Just watch a urban firefight in DayZ. Yes there's obvious game things like glitching partially through a wall. But there's a lot of 45 minute videos with 90% of it nothing but running and peaking around corners. There are a couple games that try to make firefights as realistic as it can be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJaGqTOZC-M

EDIT: okay wont get off topic anymore. sorry!

SuperMillionaire
04-02-2015, 06:04 PM

In the early days of the UFC, it was more like a real street fight. Back in the 1980s, in Brazil, MMA was originally called "vale tudo," which means "everything allowed" or "anything goes" in Portuguese. In these fights, literally anything went; there were no rules, and when the UFC was founded back in 1993, there were no rules. The UFC was founded in the United States, but the modern day sport of MMA was invented in Brazil back in the 1980s, and in the 1990s era of the UFC, there were no rules. It was not until the 2000s when they introduced rules, but it's still a very violent sport.

Slothy
04-03-2015, 02:40 AM
in the 1990s era of the UFC, there were no rules.

That is how it was marketed but that is false.

Madame Adequate
04-09-2015, 03:01 AM
Yeah, there were rules even back then, though fewer and more loosely enforced than now. They still didn't want dudes actually dying or getting crippled in the octagon though, takes forever to train up and become a name, and you need your peeps to become names if your sport is going anywhere.

Dunno about how it was back in Brazil though I'm confident that anywhere that can produce Royce Gracie must be fucking hardcore no matter what else.

Guile would blatantly beat the fuck out of everyone though.

SuperMillionaire
04-14-2015, 05:29 PM
At that time, it was so bad that senator John McCain called it "human cockfighting," and New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani, who happens to be a boxing fan, called MMA "disgusting" and "horrible," which contributed to MMA being banned in the state of New York, and it still remains banned to this day. MMA was also banned in a number of other states for a number of years until the UFC introduced the new rules, but New York still maintains it ban on the sport.

And what makes you think that Guile (from Street Fighter) would beat everyone else, Mister Adequate?

Shauna
04-14-2015, 05:36 PM
Because it's Guile.

Slothy
04-14-2015, 06:59 PM
At that time, it was so bad that senator John McCain called it "human cockfighting," and New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani, who happens to be a boxing fan, called MMA "disgusting" and "horrible," which contributed to MMA being banned in the state of New York, and it still remains banned to this day. MMA was also banned in a number of other states for a number of years until the UFC introduced the new rules, but New York still maintains it ban on the sport.

Given those two guys are idiots I don't think most people care what they thought about MMA.

sharkythesharkdogg
04-14-2015, 07:37 PM
I don't think they've developed a Jiu Jitsu take down to counter a Flash Kick or a Sonic Boom.

The person comes in for a single leg take down, and boom, a Flash Kick vaporizes their torso.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/streetfighter/images/c/c5/Guile_flashkick.gif/revision/latest?cb=20100409030918

SuperMillionaire
05-03-2015, 12:24 AM

Given those two guys are idiots I don't think most people care what they thought about MMA.

Rudy Giuliani was the former mayor of New York City during 9/11, and he happened to be a fan of boxing, but he thought that MMA was way beyond boxing; it was people brutalizing each other, and in a way, it is. Fights seem to be quite brutal, more brutal than boxing.

Mirage
05-03-2015, 02:33 AM
You trade head injuries for broken limbs. I'm sure you'll agree with me that brains are kind of overrated.

What relevance does 9/11 have?

Slothy
05-03-2015, 03:09 PM

None.

And quite frankly, boxing is a lot more brutal than MMA. You can never convince me that ten rounds (used to be a lot more) of trying to knock someone out with repeated blows to the head from heavy gloves with the amount of force they punch with is somehow less brutal than matches which land far fewer blows to the head and can often end in submission.

No blow to the head or knock out is particularly healthy, but getting hit in the head dozens more times with significantly more force (force is mass time acceleration and those boxing gloves are a lot heavier and don't slow the pros down very much) has yo be worse.

Mirage
05-03-2015, 04:20 PM
Basically. Leg and arm injuries heal up much more nicely than brain injuries do (which is basically not at all).

sharkythesharkdogg
05-03-2015, 06:24 PM
Seems fine to me.

https://lifewithheadinjury.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/coupcontrecoup1.gif

Slothy
05-03-2015, 07:14 PM
Certainly gives new meaning to the phrase, "stop hitting yourself," doesn't it Sharky.

SuperMillionaire
05-07-2015, 06:00 PM
You trade head injuries for broken limbs. I'm sure you'll agree with me that brains are kind of overrated.

I only brought that up because Rudy Giuliani was a great mayor of New York, yet Vivi22 called him an idiot for his opinion about MMA, despite his being a fan of boxing.

And in Brazilian jiujitsu, there's this one submission called the "mata leao," or "lion killer," which has the potential to render a person unconscious in a matter of seconds, or even kill them. I saw it on a TV show somewhere, and then I looked it up on Wikipedia; it's the rear naked choke.

Slothy
05-07-2015, 06:35 PM
I didn't call him an idiot for his opinions on MMA. I called him an idiot because he's a pretty terrible person who holds some pretty idiotic political views. And being the mayor of New York doesn't make him a great mayor.

And a rear naked choke rendering someone unconscious in seconds does not make MMA more brutal than boxing, nor will anyone likely die from it in competition without some form of preexisting condition which should preclude them fighting all together.

Not to mention outside of the ring, beating someone's head with hundreds of punches will usually knock out/kill them as well. But losing to a rear naked choke a few times in your career is far less likely to see you retiring with brain damage.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-07-2015, 10:26 PM
Realistically, we're splitting hairs.

Almost all forms of full contact fighting sports are brutal, and have long term detrimental impacts on the health of it's participants. It's the price you pay to push yourself and compete against others in one of the purest forms of person vs. person competition. Just because it's brutal and violent doesn't mean it can't also be beautiful and impressive to watch. The people at the top level have to be in peak physical condition certainly, but there's still a large degree of mental discipline and cunning involved.

Considering that not too far back in human history everyone had to fight like this almost everyday of their lives, and that plenty of people still have to now, it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise that we're still interested in watching combat and team sports that pit humans against each other.

SuperMillionaire
05-09-2015, 06:15 PM
That's true; before the UFC, there was pankration in the ancient Greek Olympics. Pankration, which means "all powers" in Greek, was an ancient predecessor to 1980s Brazilian vale tudo, which means "everything allowed" or "anything goes" in Portuguese, which was in turn the predecessor to modern MMA. And there was also the gladiator fights in ancient Rome.

And street fights can be no-holds-barred too. Street fighting is very brutal.

SuperMillionaire
08-03-2015, 05:12 PM
It's been a while, but now that Ronda Rousey has just won another fight in less than a minute, I figured I'd bring this topic back up again. How about we take all of the female characters from various fighting games and put them in the cage with Ronda Rousey and see, in theory, if they could beat her. Let's start with Chun-Li from Street Fighter, who's said to be "the strongest woman in the world" in her universe.

sharkythesharkdogg
08-05-2015, 12:58 AM
Huh, this is back again. Hold on a sec.....

https://cedarconsulting.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/dust-off.jpg

.....okay, there we are.

Well, it's the same as last time. No true flesh and blood fighter in our reality could hold a candle to a fantastical fighter with the abilities of Chun-Li. It's just a silly question.

It's hard for a person to defend against something like this in a cage.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/streetfighter/images/e/e4/Kikoshou.gif/revision/latest?cb=20100701041630

Theoretically I suppose you could get away, but in a came she's shown the ability to create a ball of energy close to the size of an octagon. Game over.

Mirage
08-05-2015, 03:04 AM
Why stop there? Let's put Rousey up against 10 drone fighters and see if she can break them!

NeoCracker
08-05-2015, 06:57 AM
Why stop there? Let's put Rousey up against 10 drone fighters and see if she can break them!

That's a lot of money to build drones for a fight that's not even going to last a minute.

Sephex
08-05-2015, 07:07 AM

Are these the flying drones or fighters that are just really boring and talk too much about stuff you don't want to hear?

Mirage
08-05-2015, 02:12 PM
I was having flying drones in mind.

sharkythesharkdogg
08-05-2015, 03:10 PM
I wonder if you can rear naked choke an M1 Abrams?

Mirage
08-05-2015, 03:38 PM
Only one way to find out.

Sephex
08-06-2015, 05:08 AM
I was having flying drones in mind.

Do the drones battle in their underwear?

krissy
08-06-2015, 05:36 AM
if they remember to do the laundry the night before
http://i.imgur.com/A7X0FDx.jpg

Sephex
08-06-2015, 05:40 AM
UP NEXT ON UFC 1654!! RONDA ROUSEY VS DRONEY DROWSY!!!

krissy
08-06-2015, 05:53 AM
http://i.imgur.com/070qY7X.jpg

Sephex
08-06-2015, 05:57 AM
Well, now I don't know who won! I was assuming the drone had the surname of 'Drowsy" because it puts its opponents to sleep very easily. But looks like the damn thing sleeps naked. It bet these UFC matches are fixed and Rousey is in bed with it!