PDA

View Full Version : Why do we love the series?

Fynn
03-25-2015, 10:38 AM
We may have become jaded towards FF considering the last generation, not to mention some of our nostalgia for the older titles might have faded, but for some reason we're still here. I like to think there is at least one thing each person here loves about Final Fantasy. So, what is it for you?

FFIX Choco Boy
03-25-2015, 10:51 AM
KWEH!

Shauna
03-25-2015, 12:18 PM
Why people are still here, as in EoFF? The community here is what brings people back, not FF. ;)

But in answer to your question, although I don't fit your mould of being jaded (I am not jaded at all with the series) and less nostalgic (I was properly introduced with FFX, so my nostalgia isn't far reaching), I think FF is super fun and I keep playing them and coming back to them because I enjoy them. Cliched stories and typical character archetypes and all.

Fynn
03-25-2015, 12:23 PM
I never said everybody is like that. But that does seem to be the trend.

Pike
03-25-2015, 01:24 PM
I'm not really one for JRPGs (aside from Pokemon) so Final Fantasy is my go-to when I do feel like playing a grindy, traditional JRPG. It fits that mold like a glove and it's comforting.

Shiva95
03-25-2015, 01:30 PM
The stories are always amazing and I really like the characters in general.

Shauna
03-25-2015, 02:15 PM
I never said everybody is like that. But that does seem to be the trend.

I know. I was just clarifying my position. x}

Pumpkin
03-25-2015, 04:28 PM
I like them because they're fun to play and the stories engage me. That's why I love most video games, it's a whole other world on a little disc or cartridge to explore and save

Kalevala
03-26-2015, 12:25 AM
Because when I was introduced to the series (FFIII/VI on SNES) it stood head and shoulders above everything else I had access to in terms of soundtrack and narrative. While there have since been many more ambitious releases in terms of narrative (Uematsu is still the one true god), the series stands out as being the best video game experience I'd had for nearly a decade. It was a very important part of my childhood, and is something I can enjoy even after wrenching the goggles of nostalgia from my eyes.

The series is damn good, and for a young boy who just beginning to work his way into sci-fi and fantasy, it was damn mind-blowing.

Leigh
03-26-2015, 12:48 AM
It reminds me of being nine years old pretty much. I had actual real life friends and everything m, I wasn't constantly worried about eating right, having to find the meaning of my existence, how to steam cook the perfect salmon...

I guess it was a game that focused on decent storytelling, for a video game, at a time when we only had Broken Sword and Blood Omen: Legacy of Khan as character development pieces. VII was refreshing in that you cpuld beat up dudes, with an actual added purpose. Couldn't say that about Mortal Kombat!

Ayen
03-26-2015, 01:03 AM
Final Fantasy was my introduction to an entire genre so it'll always have a special place in my heart for that.

Randy
03-27-2015, 12:19 AM
Final Fantasy was my introduction to an entire genre so it'll always have a special place in my heart for that.

Same here. Before FF7 (I'm european), I didn't even know what a JRPG was. I'd only played Illusion of Gaia on the SNES, which we got for some reason in Europe despite getting no Chrono Trigger or FF6.

I love the series because the storytelling used to be brilliant. If I replay FF9, I feel sucked into the game within 10 minutes. It's more powerful fiction than almost anything on offer.

Bolivar
03-27-2015, 10:20 PM
It's the presentation - the music, character designs and environments are just unreal at times.

But like a lot of others, it was VII that made me a fan for life. For a lot of us who were alreadt into JRPGs, it felt like the game we had all been waiting for, as if everything in gaming had been building up to that moment.

black orb
03-28-2015, 09:07 PM
>>> Sakaguchi, Amano and Uematsu..:luca:

Christmas
04-04-2015, 05:01 PM
THE SWORDS!

Yellow_Magic
04-06-2015, 07:44 PM
DA-DA-DA-DA, DA, DA-DA DA-DAAAAAAAAA

DAAA DAAA DAAA DA DAAAA DA DAAA DA DAAA, DAAA DAAA DAAA DAAA DAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Dante WolfWood
04-06-2015, 07:48 PM
Nostalgia glasses.

That is the reason anyone over 25 is still in love with this series.

(Yes, it is. Stahp lying to yourself!)

Fynn
04-11-2015, 05:26 PM
Nostalgia glasses.

Kind of an unfair statement?

Nostalgia goggles or not, the series has a lot going for it.

Especially anything Matsuno does. He puts most other video game stories to shame.

theundeadhero
04-18-2015, 08:30 AM
I don't play the series anymore because it's gone in a direction I don't like. FFIX was the end of an era, and afterwards each game has gotten further and further away from what they used to be. I still play the old games because that's what I considered good gaming to be.

Laddy
04-19-2015, 12:58 AM
The story and characters are good, but not so intensive to dissuade me if I just want play a comfort game. Not to mention the music and visuals are breathtakingly gorgeous and the gameplay is just complex enough to keep my attention.

Madame Adequate
04-19-2015, 05:57 AM
Nostalgia glasses.

I've been playing through the series lately, and several of the games I've either not finished or not even played before. I've enjoyed them all and have a couple I consider really great even though I'd never touched them before The Year of Our Lord Two Thousand And Fourteen. No nostalgia on those for me! :p

I think what I like is that FF is pretty much always memorable. Sometimes that's not for the best reasons but, except for I and III, I can't think of any FF I don't have a somewhat strong opinion about. They almost always try to do something new and innovative and interesting, and they don't always succeed, but I can respect that, and almost every game is interesting enough to pick apart, replay, talk about, argue about whether Sephiroth or Squall would win in a orgy fight, etc.

e; And I mean the games are always astonishing in visual and audio terms, even the FFs I don't like were graphically mindblowing and have classic soundtracks.