PDA

View Full Version : Did FFVII deserve to win "EoFF Ranks final Fantasy"?

Dat Matt
04-09-2015, 05:02 PM
If you're not in the know, I ran an event in January where we ranked all the Final Fantasy Games to see which one was the best. Surprising no one FFVII took the top spot, but is it deserving of the title of best Final Fantasy game?

If not, which game should hold the top spot?

Fynn
04-09-2015, 05:49 PM
Since it won, it deserved it. It wasn't a ranking of the best, just the most popular in out group. So if most people voted for it, I don't see why it shouldn't be deserving of the title.

Freya
04-09-2015, 05:51 PM
I voted no to cause 5 pages of drama. Get that activity boosting!

Psychotic
04-09-2015, 06:07 PM
You're god damn right it did.

Vermachtnis
04-09-2015, 06:24 PM
No because it's not V. It doesn't even have Gilgamesh, how dare it call itself a Final Fantasy!

Aerith's Knight
04-09-2015, 06:26 PM
Questioning this sounds like something a commie would do... :stare:

Spooniest
04-09-2015, 06:48 PM
I do not know where to begin.

You jump off a train and a big Mr. T looking motherfucker says "Come on, follow me"

So you follow the guy, naturally. Little do you know that your entire identity of "Badass Mercenary" is about to be destroyed and reconstructed in the image of a simple man from the mountain town of Nibelheim.

Final Fantasy VII kicks the shit out of any other JRPG. The only problem with it is that every time you enter the temple of the Ancients...

You get to look forward to Aerith dying.

That aside, the Materia system, the Fort Condor battles, the G Bike minigame, the tv commercials, the joy of hearing One Winged Angel as you pound Sephiroth into the pavement...

Final Fantasy VII is THE video game.

Perhaps the most quintessential video game ever made.

Karifean
04-09-2015, 08:42 PM
Did FFVII deserve to win "EoFF Ranks final Fantasy"?

Yes.

Is Final Fantasy VII really the best FF game?

No.

Spooniest
04-09-2015, 09:04 PM

Yes.

No.

Lemme guess...6 right?

While a fine game in its own right, 6 is the poor mans slow version of 7.

Karifean
04-09-2015, 09:35 PM

Yes.

No.

Lemme guess...6 right?

While a fine game in its own right, 6 is the poor mans slow version of 7.

Well I consider all the entries from V to XII to be about equally "good" and couldn't call any one of them the "best". My personal favorite is X, though.

Shauna
04-09-2015, 09:43 PM
Matt, just let this competition go. It was fun when it was around, but your hey-day is over. Stop trying to relive the drama you caused!

FFIX Choco Boy
04-09-2015, 11:04 PM
I, personally, think that Persona 3 deserved to win, but it seems somebody forgot to include it in the choices. :colbert: From the choices provided, though, Final Fantasy IX is obviously the best choice. Though, I will still give VII a lot of credit, because it is almost equally as good.

escobert
04-10-2015, 12:17 AM
Yes, VII is the best of the numbered games.

fat_moogle
04-10-2015, 01:19 AM
I do not know where to begin.

You jump off a train and a big Mr. T looking motherfucker says "Come on, follow me"

So you follow the guy, naturally. Little do you know that your entire identity of "Badass Mercenary" is about to be destroyed and reconstructed in the image of a simple man from the mountain town of Nibelheim.

Final Fantasy VII kicks the shit out of any other JRPG. The only problem with it is that every time you enter the temple of the Ancients...

You get to look forward to Aerith dying.

That aside, the Materia system, the Fort Condor battles, the G Bike minigame, the tv commercials, the joy of hearing One Winged Angel as you pound Sephiroth into the pavement...

Final Fantasy VII is THE video game.

Perhaps the most quintessential video game ever made.

You're making me regret voting no!

Depression Moon
04-10-2015, 03:11 AM
You did? Well it surprises me considering as long as I've been on this forum I know that FFVII is the not majority's favorite here. Did we allow public votes?

Sephex
04-10-2015, 03:23 AM
Yes. Because that's what was voted and that's what won. I would have the same feeling if any other FF game one.

But it's more important for people to join the circlejerk and the anticirclejerk. FFVII's crime is that it was the one that got the series and jRPGs popular. In an alternate universe where FFVI, FFIX, FFX, FFIV, or any jRPG held that sort of success, that's where the endless debates would be focused towards.

I mean, why focus on the fact that a formerly niche genre we're all into at some level or another got it's legs and as a result, a lot of cool and interesting games have been released.

No, let's complain about the game's problems and plotholes (HINT: ALL FFs games have plotholes and game design flaws). Make fun of the fans that take the series too seriously and like the game because of, say, Cloud's hair or Sephiroth's sword. Just another fine day on the internet, yes sir! I can't let anyone see that I might enjoy something. Worse, I can't let anyone else enjoy something!! I have to wallow in cynicism and and shove my opinion down everyone's throat, like a violent scene in a hentai!

It's like same people who think they're superior for talking about how they aren't into 50 Shades of Grey or whatever. Whoa!! Slow down there, buddy! You mean that you, the 18-35 year old male aren't into a mutated fan fic of the Twilight saga involving a misrepresentation of BDSM? STOP THE PRESSES!! Everyone! Look at this guy!! Look at how COOL this guy is! God, his intellectual prowess must be off the charts! It's a damn shame he can't grasp the simple concept that any sort of publicity is good publicity for these sorts of things, and he's only feeding the monster he want's to defeat! Oh look at him! Kanye West did something stupid again! There he goes off into the battlefield again to make sure everyone knows how he disagrees with Kanye trolling the media again! What a smart person. Man, am I impressed!

Depression Moon
04-10-2015, 03:31 AM
What plot holes are in IX? What doesn't make sense in the story's construction?

Dante WolfWood
04-10-2015, 03:43 AM
FFIX major plot hole is it's existence. It's that bad.

WHY DOES FFIX EXIST!?

Spooniest
04-10-2015, 03:44 AM
Final Fantasy is good I like it

Freya
04-10-2015, 03:45 AM
WHY DO WE EVEN EXIST. WHAT IF OUR EYES AREN'T REAL

Sephex
04-10-2015, 03:46 AM
WHOOOOOOOSH

escobert
04-10-2015, 04:54 AM
Did we allow public votes?

I don't believe so.

Quindiana Jones
04-10-2015, 01:31 PM
FFIX. GOOD. YOU NO? CK SMASH.

Omni-Odin
04-10-2015, 02:02 PM
FFVII fans haven't tried to make anyone like this game the most in the series for like 10 years. It's every time we (FFVII = favorite) say that it's our favorite, everyone else starts the riot. People can't take the fact that it's our favorite game. It's like the Napoleon complex of gaming. "YOU LIKE 7 THE MOST???!!! 6666666666666666!!!!!!!" <------- That is basically how I read every 6 paragraph explanation on why 6 or 4 is better than 7. I basically just say it's my favorite and move on.

In the words of the dude, "That's like your opinion, man"

Mirage
04-10-2015, 02:49 PM
If it had deserved it, it would have won.

This is how polls work.

Psychotic
04-10-2015, 03:15 PM

This is how polls work.It did win.

Spooniest
04-10-2015, 04:09 PM
Yeah right! And Grizzly Adams had a beard!

escobert
04-10-2015, 04:09 PM

He could be talking about VI or IV or IX!

Dante WolfWood
04-10-2015, 06:53 PM

WISH MY EYES WEREN'T REAL, SO I WOULD HAVE NEVER SEEN THAT ABOMINATION KNOWN AS FFIX!!!

Motdrafin
04-11-2015, 02:33 AM
FFIV should've won... It's teh bestest!!11!!1!

Mirage
04-11-2015, 03:47 AM

Then it deserved it.

NeoCracker
04-11-2015, 11:32 AM
I vote no cause I like to be against things that win stuff.

Shiva95
04-11-2015, 01:44 PM
I don't think so... For me, FFVII was not THAT good. Actually, I was disappointed when I first played the game because I read that it was the best Final Fantasy or one of the best, and for me, it's really, really not. I like it, but that's it. I don't think I would replay it.

Fynn
04-11-2015, 05:25 PM

WISH MY EYES WEREN'T REAL, SO I WOULD HAVE NEVER SEEN THAT ABOMINATION KNOWN AS FFIX!!!

Oooh, son. You're in the wrong neighborhood.

:bigsmile:

Ayen
04-14-2015, 08:30 AM
Yes and no. I voted yes 'cause you put a Cid quote there and there wasn't a neutral option. What's best is subjective. I think Evil Zone is one of the best fighting games around. The majority of people I talk to never heard of the game before. How can it be the best anything if the majority of people never even heard of it? How can FFVII be the best if so many people think it's an overrated piece of trout? When someone says "X is the best" (inb4 FFX joke) it's their opinion. Nothing more. I know, so much irony in me saying this. I only learned this lesson recently.

Del Murder
04-14-2015, 05:41 PM
I disagree with the results of this poll and I'm going to make a thread about it and another one about the making of that thread. :colbert:

Dat Matt
04-14-2015, 05:42 PM
http://i.imgur.com/N3Zzp.jpg

Randy
04-21-2015, 06:33 PM
Is there a poll for whether this poll deserved to turn out the way it did?

Shauna
04-21-2015, 07:39 PM
Is there a poll for whether this poll deserved to turn out the way it did?

Be patient. Its time will come.

Agent Proto
04-21-2015, 08:04 PM
I'll answer both the poll and thread's questions. The poll asked "Is Final Fantasy VII really the best FF game?" and I answered no. I don't think it's the best FF game ever, that would probably go to something else, like maybe Final Fantasy VI or IX. As for the thread's question "Did FFVII deserve to win "EoFF Ranks final Fantasy"?" I shall answer yes, it very much deserves the win. For one, it's the FF game that introduced many into Final Fantasy. It's the start of the "Golden Age" of Final Fantasy, which improved the game's graphics to what it is now from the sprites used in the "Old School" era.