PDA

View Full Version : Why is nobody talking about Pillars of Eternity?

Vyk
03-30-2015, 01:46 AM
Is nobody really playing this game? Or is nobody really enjoying it? Or just too busy enjoying to talk about it?

It's blowing up all over Twitter

Has a 92 on MetaCritic, out of 20 reviews. All of which are marked as varying degrees of positive. It has 159 positive user reviews on there. 4.5 stars on GOG.com with six pages of reviews and only 4 or so were wavering degrees of negative, and most of those were only technical issues (no Linux support yet, or it doesn't run well on their crappy computer [come on..]). And marked as "Very Positive" on Steam, with 1,400 positive reviews and only 89 negative

If any game has ever come close to meeting any and all expectations everyone has placed on it, this is likely one of the closest to achieving it. Not a lot of people don't like this game. Or at least those who were originally interested

It blows Wasteland 2 out of the water, and practically dethrones Divinity: Original Sin as the best of the newer CRPGs to date. And that is legitimately no small task, as Original Sin was awesome

If anyone has ever really been interested in this game, but holding back to see how it actually turns out, I think you're safe to stop waiting :)

It goes without saying that my girlfriend and I are already losing days into this game. And neither of us regret any lack of social life it's bleeding away from us

So, anyone else tried it? Thoughts? Hopes? Dreams? lol

Spuuky
03-30-2015, 03:31 AM
Incredibly eager to play it, but don't own it yet. So that's why I haven't talked about it. I learned long ago that in general, this forum just doesn't actually like RPGS very much.

Fynn
03-30-2015, 05:45 AM
My wife and I are holding out until we get better computers.

But once we do, you can bet your sweet ass we'll be rockin' the shit out of this game!

Bolivar
03-30-2015, 05:12 PM
I've been following the CRPG renaissance, just been waiting for the right game to jump in. I'll probably get Divinity now that the fiance is done with school, although this has been looking great for a while.

Vyk
03-30-2015, 06:20 PM
Divinity is a great place to pick back up. Fantastic design and with a partner it has super simple coop

I will say my laptop is an AMD Radeon HD 6520. Which is not great by today's standards by any stretch but runs fine. Just takes an extra moment for loading and runs a little warm

But I guess for now I will just enjoy it in place of every one else until you all can join me in the fun :)

Leigh
04-06-2015, 11:47 AM
As with all CRPGs, the best part is usually the character creation, and the games get progressively worse, as you venture through a sword and sorcery storyline, which UK's Channel 5 6pm timeslot on a Sunday evening would be proud of.

Madame Adequate
04-09-2015, 02:58 AM
Backed it a couple of years ago, so I got it on release. Been too sick to play much but what I've seen so far I like a lot, it's old-school.

Heartbroken about (Pre-Gilded Vale spoiler)Calisca though, I liked her a lot, RIP. But we have Eder so that's good, and hahaha I want to make a character specifically to annoy Durance as much as possible.

Vyk
04-09-2015, 08:28 PM
I feel your pain on that spoiler. It's kind of weird I haven't met a single female NPC to join my party yet. So I made one. Which is just as good. Other than scripted dialog you can give whatever backstory and personality you want. Which is pretty awesome. I'm in the middle of moving. We half moved into one place and experienced some problems and now have to move into another place 10 minutes away. So I'm effectively living in 3 places at once. So it's hard for me to find game time

Randy
04-21-2015, 06:09 PM
Haha they are. They're just raging about an "offensive" joke in it rather than talking about the actual game.

Laddy
04-26-2015, 07:16 AM
I see the joke being in bad taste, especially for Obsidian, who is normally pretty on-point about these things. At least they changed it, backer be damned.

I like the plot and characters. It reminds me of Baldur's Gate II and Planescape: Torment thrown together beautifully with some Knights of the Old Republic II thrown in there (Durance is the new Kreia; devil's advocate old person who kinda sucks gameplay-wise). The combat is good, but Wasteland 2 beat it for me. Very well-written and I got misty-eyed at the scene in Gilded Vale with poor dwarf lady.

I recommend it.

Zelfina Ai'ada
05-13-2015, 11:26 AM
I would be talking about this, but I haven't played it yet :(. I want to try this out so bad!

Araciel
05-14-2015, 06:07 AM
Played the shit outta' it... about 70 hours. Got smoked at the bottom of Od Nua before completing the main campaign... Haven't played since.