PDA

View Full Version : Living game worlds vs Dead game worlds?

Lazerface
03-31-2015, 12:12 AM
By living game worlds I mean something like Red Dead Redemption, most of the FF games, Far Cry 3, and Skyrim. Versus something like Fallout 1 and 3, Far Cry 2, Oblivion (I guess). Worlds that generally feel dead after some sort of apocalypse basically. The dead worlds rely more on immersion to keep you interested in the world, though it can be quite boring and repetitive at times (like Far Cry 2). Basically everything in dead worlds is hostile and out to kill ya. In a living world, NPC's interact, random events in the wild happen like traders fighting a gang or a bear happen, weather tends to come unpredictably, npc's roll on a schedule in towns or cities. So which do you prefer?

BlackFire
05-04-2015, 07:53 AM
I prefer living worlds myself. I want to experience all the changes the world goes through. There's always got to be something going on in the world for me. Stuff like that keeps it interesting and fresh.

escobert
05-04-2015, 04:21 PM
Dead. I love scavenging and looting ruins. My favorite game is a post zombie apocalypse world. there's still interaction just much more tense usually :p

Fynn
05-04-2015, 04:31 PM
Living. I love how you can see the societies in Xenoblade Chronicles develop as you interact with them.

Psychotic
05-04-2015, 04:34 PM
Basically everything in dead worlds is hostile and out to kill ya. In a living world, NPC's interact, random events in the wild happen like traders fighting a gang or a bear happen, weather tends to come unpredictably, npc's roll on a schedule in towns or cities. So which do you prefer?But you could say all of these things are true of both Skyrim and Fallout.

Pumpkin
05-04-2015, 04:36 PM
Living!

Pete for President
05-04-2015, 04:39 PM
I don't know man, living worlds can feel dead and dead worlds can feel alive. I much prefer a world where every NPC and prop has meaning making the world feel immersive and alive (ie Dark Souls, FFX) as opposed to large amounts of filler in a world making it feel dead (ie Oblivion, large parts of FFXII). So whether worlds are dead/alive only counts for anything if what is within them fits and adds meaning/immersion.

Ayen
05-05-2015, 06:34 AM
Basically, post-apocalyptic worlds versus everything else?

I prefer everything else.

Richard
05-05-2015, 03:08 PM
Living or dead. No world is small enough for me! :D

Christmas
09-30-2022, 11:08 AM
Whatever Skyrim's World is.