PDA

View Full Version : we have repeated everything many times

Masamunemaster
04-02-2015, 04:18 AM
Me and my friend are looking for more hack n slash games. We have played super smash bros way to much, and gauntlet to no extent. Does anyone have any ideas of something good?

Vyk
04-03-2015, 01:11 AM
Not entirely sure what you mean by "mutt hack'n'slash". Since Gauntlet and Smash Brothers have very little in common there's no context to go by other than same-screen multiplayer. If you're looking for co-op same/split screen there's quite a plethora of games to choose from these days. There was actually a renaissance for couch co-op lately (thank God)

My all-time favorite has been for some time Lord of the Rings: War in the North. Highly suggest the 360 version, but it's available for PS3 and PC as well. Though glitchy, and not the same screen on PC

Things like Halo and Gears and Borderlands are probably a shoe-in. Same with Resident Evil 5/6. Though I'd have to make a case for Resident Evil Revelations 2. That game was surprisngly good, especially surprising after how ridiculous 6 turned out to be. R2 is closer to being like a co-op 4. Still some creepiness, and on the right settings you can feel confined and afraid and at a loss for ammo and whatnot. But just like with everything 4 and after, you can become a badass by the end. Just not as much as with 6 (or 5). But it's got a gimmick with the characters that is really interesting

There's also a little known gem called Hunted: Demon's Forge that plays like a fantasy medieval Resident Evil 5 lol

If you're looking for more hacky slashy things, there's always Diablo 3 on all systems. There's been some pretty decent side scrolly ones too. Sacred Citadel is a PSN/XBLA Golden Axe style game. There's also Sacred 3 (though I'd suggest renting rather than paying full price) or one I think called FORCED?

As for Smash Brothers type games I know there's a handful of clones, rip-offs, and indie games. Not recalling any of their names though..

Masamunemaster
04-03-2015, 05:46 AM
Sorry, I meant more. I was pretty tired.

We were thinking of stuff like the first two gauntlet games. Sorta hack n slash fantasy adventure, very cheesy games that are way more fun than they should be. We started playing Borderlands, but after a few hours we got bored of just go here do a million things and forget about the main quest.

I know I am horrible at explaining things, and for that I apologise.

Ayen
04-03-2015, 05:54 AM
I saw the words "hack n slash" so I have to go to my default titles:

Bayonetta
Darksiders
Devil May Cry
Ninja Gaiden (From Xbox onward)

I'd put God of War in there, but I haven't played it yet so can't recommend it.

Masamunemaster
04-03-2015, 07:31 AM

Bayonetta
Darksiders
Devil May Cry

None of those are split screen co-op are they?

Psychotic
04-03-2015, 09:02 AM
Dynasty Warriors is everything you're looking for.

Shauna
04-03-2015, 09:37 AM
Hyrule Warriors is p great if you have the capabilities and also like Dynasty Warriors and the Zelda franchise.

Pike
04-03-2015, 04:29 PM
Diablo 3 couch co-op is a blast.

sharkythesharkdogg
04-03-2015, 04:30 PM
Try some old school Golden Axe.

If you're not firm on it being fantasy themed, there's a treasure trove of old school beat 'em ups that are great for two players.

Vyk
04-03-2015, 05:08 PM
Oh yeah. Dynasty Warriors is having their own little renaissance. They released a couple new games and a new Samurai Warriors, and now they have a new Bladestorm, which I didn't think they'd ever revisit from the luke-warm welcome the original got, but they're basically medieval versions of Dynasty Warriors. Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires was fantastic. 8 Empires just released. And while it's good, they took out a lot that made 7E fantastic

Ayen
04-04-2015, 11:51 AM

Bayonetta
Darksiders
Devil May Cry

None of those are split screen co-op are they?

No, but still fun regardless if you don't mind swapping the controller. As for split screen co-op, I recommend Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes. I played that game with my nephew and it was fun as hell.

In case you guys decide to go the beat em' up route:
Double Dragon
Battletoads
Battletoads/Double Dragon
Streets of Rage
Fighting Force

Masamunemaster
04-05-2015, 04:59 PM
We tried playing Amanda for the genesis last night, and after us both dying about five times we gave up and went back to gauntlet.

Spooniest
04-05-2015, 11:01 PM
Try some old school Golden Axe.

Seconded.

Golden Axe II in particular is very very good.