PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip!

Crop
04-07-2015, 03:24 PM
I think there was a thread recently about road trips but I can't find it.

Me and a friend have driven from south Wales to Blackpool, to Carlisle, to Edinburgh, to Inverness and are currently in John O Groats and will be enjoying some hearty Scottish food. Then we're travelling back down through Glasgow and beyond.

Anyone else here a huge road trip fan? Or will you be road trippin' anywhere anytime soon?

Also, if you have any road trip advise or suggestions on where to stop off on my way back south then I'm all ears!

Psychotic
04-07-2015, 03:35 PM
I'm not a huge road trip fan if I'm honest, I much prefer a nice train journey :shobon:

I dunno which way you're coming back but Lake District is always gorgeous (you may have already passed through there!) and the North Wales coast is always a lovely sight.

Shauna
04-07-2015, 03:47 PM
Through Glasgow? And you're not gonna stop by your favourite Glaswegians? How cruel. :3

Matt and I keep saying we are going to Road Trip to visit some nerds, but we have done nothing of the sort so far. Maybe soon.

Crop
04-07-2015, 05:12 PM
Through Glasgow? And you're not gonna stop by your favourite Glaswegians? How cruel. :3

Oh man I totally forgot you guys lived in Glasgow! We should meet up for food or something!

Shauna
04-07-2015, 05:18 PM
When will you be in the area?

Crop
04-07-2015, 05:41 PM
Thursday late afternoon, Friday morning.

Shauna
04-07-2015, 05:47 PM
Could feasibly hit up town on Thursday evening and have dinner with a fine gentleman such as yourself! But I think we will take this to a one on one discussion.

Back to talking about Coach Trip or whatever.

Shorty
04-08-2015, 12:28 AM
Yar and I are taking a road trip to the coast this weekend! :jess: Then my mam is coming to visit and we are taking the same trip then. More road trips coming this summer include to the Redwood National Forest in California, Seattle, British Columbia Canada, and San Francisco in September! Plus possibly several other scattered little trips to the coast between those.

I love road trips :jess:

Shiny
04-08-2015, 01:03 AM
Best road trip advice: stretch a lot or your legs will hate you.

Ayen
04-08-2015, 01:27 AM
Not a fan of being in the car for long periods of time.

Kalevala
04-08-2015, 04:03 AM
Road trips are hell on a 6'5 frame, but fun nonetheless. I'm due for another soon.

Sephex
04-08-2015, 05:04 AM
Never really had the desire to do it as an adult because my parents took me on road trips a few times growing up. That said, I did have fun. Basically the most memorable one was driving to Phoenix, Arizona then to Vegas, then back to Phoenix (I don't want to explain, but this made sense). On the way there we took a route that went through the upper portion of the country. On the way back we took a route that went through the lower portion of the country.

chionos
04-08-2015, 08:19 AM
I love road trips. I drove a friend of a family member from E. Kentucky to Colorado last month and it was glorious. Driving back solo and dead tired (especially through Kansas) was decidedly less glorious, but I still enjoyed it and would do it non-stop if I could earn a living doing it. i.e. If someone--doesn't matter who--asked me right now at 3a.m. to drive them to Florida, California, Alaska, doesn't matter where, I'd do it no questions asked.

I want to do a coast-to-coast trip at some point. Bucket list type thing.

Yar
04-09-2015, 02:39 AM
Yar and I are taking a road trip to the coast this weekend! :jess: Then my mam is coming to visit and we are taking the same trip then. More road trips coming this summer include to the Redwood National Forest in California, Seattle, British Columbia Canada, and San Francisco in September! Plus possibly several other scattered little trips to the coast between those.

There was also spontaneous San Diego getaway 2012 which was pretty much awesome. Road trips with this girl are pretty much a guaranteed great adventure

Shiny
04-09-2015, 04:57 AM
Road trips are hell on a 6'5 frame, but fun nonetheless. I'm due for another soon.

They are also hell on a 5'1'' frame especially when you're forced to be in a third seat of a truck with no real third seat and have to scrunch your legs because there's no leg room whatsoever for an 18 hour ride. NEVER AGAIN. I seriously should've donkey punched my parents for that one.

Crop
04-09-2015, 08:16 AM

There was also spontaneous San Diego getaway 2012 which was pretty much awesome. Road trips with this girl are pretty much a guaranteed great adventure

That sounds so awesome. I hope you guys are making a mixtape for your trip too, every road trip needs one! I spent all evening after work a couple of weeks back creating three just for this trip.

Quindiana Jones
04-10-2015, 04:35 AM
My friend and I will be doing a New Zealand road trip for between 1 and 3 months this September (and, obviously, onwards). Cannot freaking wait. Road trips are awesome.

Pike
04-10-2015, 10:36 AM
Biggest road trip I've done as the driver was Oak Harbor, WA -> Bozeman, MT in one day - that was 762 miles (1226 kilos for the non-Imperial-bros) and took like 14, 15 hours?

I don't mind road trips and I enjoy driving but all told I'd rather take a plane :) The reason I drove that day is because I was moving!

Quindiana Jones
04-10-2015, 12:54 PM
Good lord, that's over a tonne!

Crop
04-10-2015, 10:56 PM
I'm not a huge road trip fan if I'm honest, I much prefer a nice train journey :shobon:

I dunno which way you're coming back but Lake District is always gorgeous (you may have already passed through there!) and the North Wales coast is always a lovely sight.

The Lake District is incredible and I think second only to the Highlands. Good shout on North Wales, I think we'll head back that way tomorrow.

noxious.sunshine
04-12-2015, 08:01 PM
The longest I've gone in an actual car was when I moved to Phoenix and later on when my sister and I went to Tucson to get my car and drive it back.

From Nashville, that's a 24 hr drive.

If you're going on a long trip ('cuz I don't know how far it is you're going), my best advice is to sleep as much as possible when you're not driving. That's what my sister and I did... On the way back to Nashville, we laid down my back seat and switched out every 3 hours or so and whoever -wasn't- driving, slept.

I've traveled a ton in my life, but most of it was when I was a kid and went in the big truck with my dad. There was a sleeper for me to hang out in and my dad had one of those tv/vcr combos rigged up for me to watch movies and stuff on. And he'd buy me toys and coloring books and shit on the road. So yeah..

Chibi Youkai
04-15-2015, 01:50 AM
I did a cross country road trip about two years ago; San Diego to DC. Stopped in a few different places to do the tourist thing and visited some family. Was quite fun other than the massive rain/ hail storm that I was stuck driving through. Didn't get to see the largest natural pearl in the US though, we drove by too early for it to be open. Was a bit sad about that.

CimminyCricket
04-16-2015, 11:11 PM
The only "road trip" I've been on was picking up my car from Missouri after it had been shipped and driving it back. Also the trip I took to Maryland from MN and back that forgot about. If I had the time and $$$ I would probably go on way more road trips to meet a lot of the people here that I think are the bee's knees.