PDA

View Full Version : Is that a gray hair?

Ayen
04-09-2015, 03:17 AM
So, I was playing the original NES version of this game today and I noticed something.

It's boring as smurf! I'm sorry, but it is. The fighting is slow as hell and something as simple as leveling up and going through their stats take forever. I don't remember the PS1 version being like this, but either my memory is foggy or it got a lot more updates than I initially thought. I can only conclude that playing the latter entries first and not playing this when it first came out has ruined the experience for me. Anyone else feels this way?

Or is this the part where you burn me with holy water?

FFIX Choco Boy
04-09-2015, 03:54 AM
I find that the NES version all around blows. It's way too difficult, you can only save at inns, you lose your save if you don't do the whole "hold reset, then press power" thing (and sometimes you lose your save even if you DO do that), it's extremely slow, and, loathe as I am to say it, I find it hard to look at the graphics after I've seen the new entries. As far as what version I enjoy most, though, I'm not sure. The PS1, PSP, and GBA versions all have their strong points and weak points. But the PSP version is the one I go back to the most simply because it's so easy to start up and play, and you don't really have to worry about save points and all that trout.

Ayen
04-09-2015, 04:09 AM
I find that the NES version all around blows. It's way too difficult, you can only save at inns, you lose your save if you don't do the whole "hold reset, then press power" thing

Is that what's that was for? I thought it was just telling me how to turn the system off.

FFIX Choco Boy
04-09-2015, 04:15 AM
Nope, it's so that it saves your game. That's how most NES games I remember work.

Ayen
04-09-2015, 04:16 AM
Trout.

Mirage
04-09-2015, 04:26 AM
I couldn't stand it.

Colonel Angus
04-09-2015, 04:35 AM
Nope, it's so that it saves your game. That's how most NES games I remember work.
Actually, it's not.

Holding reset while you press power was to protect the game from a surge. Basically, holding reset was putting the system in "standby mode". Turning the system off w/o holding reset can potentially fry the battery.

Also, you kids are spoiled these days. Back when I was younger, we didn't have Clouds or Spiras. All we had were unnamed Fighters and Thieves who couldn't steal & we liked it! :shakefist:

VeloZer0
04-09-2015, 05:56 AM
I don't mind the graphics of the old NES titles, I find they still have a certain charm. But doing anything was so agonizingly slow. If it wasn't for emulators and frameskip I don't think I would manage at all.

Ayen
04-09-2015, 06:18 AM
Also, you kids are spoiled these days. Back when I was younger, we didn't have Clouds or Spiras. All we had were unnamed Fighters and Thieves who couldn't steal & we liked it! :shakefist:

You can have your Mad Ponies. I don't want them!

theundeadhero
04-09-2015, 01:47 PM
Set the speed to 8 so all the text isn't so ridiculously slow, newb.

Ayen
04-09-2015, 06:51 PM
Set the speed to 8 so all the text isn't so ridiculously slow, newb.

I didn't see an option anywhere to change the text speed.

Edit: nvm found it.

Tamagon
04-11-2015, 06:01 PM
I'd say switch to the PS1 version. It modernizes the game while keeping its spirit intact. It's still gonna come off as pretty archaic though, with its plot being shoved in the background, characters with no personalities, etc.

Ayen
04-11-2015, 10:52 PM
Can't. Already said I'm reviewing the NES version.

I like it a lot better with the response rate at 8 but for the love of Yevon this game DOES NOT want to save. I do the trick and when I come back my save file is completely erased. I either have to beat the game all in one sitting or not at all.

VeloZer0
04-11-2015, 11:44 PM
Save game data on cartridges is maintained by a battery, if that dies it will not be able to hold data anymore. Though from what I read the typical lifespan of an NES cartridge battery is quite long.

Colonel Angus
04-12-2015, 05:06 PM
yeah the battery is probably dead. you might have to find another copy or use an emulator.

Ayen
04-14-2015, 07:21 AM
That would just be my luck, too. The price you pay just to own a physical copy.

Kibbs Kibbard
06-18-2018, 04:58 PM
On occasion you can replace that internal battery (normally a large flat watch battery) and be able to save your game again. I was able to do it to a few games, there was one or two common games I recall that didn't work after I replaced the battery. That might be due to improper installation or sparking something across the finger board inside the cartridge. I'd say to use the Emulator version and find a NES controller fitted with a USB cord. They work wonders, best of luck!

Also, I prefer the NES version myself, I'm old and I enjoy the classic modern times of my youth. Young whipper snappers!

Obsidian
07-25-2018, 04:40 PM
I actually appreciate the original game's difficulty since every version from Dawn of Souls onward is so easy that you are practically never in danger. This is why I recommend the PS1 version since you can play it on its original difficulty with the spells fixed and with more modern conveniences (better menus, retargeting enemies, quick saves, etc.).

Some of us old timers have to have that NES flavor sometimes, though.