PDA

View Full Version : I'm too busy playing games to play games

Ayen
04-14-2015, 07:58 AM
How many games are you playing in your backlog that are keeping you from the games you want to play because you haven't played said game you're playing right now before and you want to play that game before you can play this game and that game--? Oh no I've gone cross eyed.

When did playing games because such a chore?

Discuss.

Shauna
04-14-2015, 08:35 AM
When you make it a job, it becomes a chore.

I don't find playing video games a chore at all.

Pike
04-14-2015, 10:34 AM
Video games aren't a chore :)

Although currently WoW is probably keeping me from playing other games but that's okay because WoW is top tier right now and I don't even care. So long as I'm having fun! :thumbsup:

Freya
04-14-2015, 04:06 PM
I play WoW 3 days a week cause of my raid schedule. Otherwise I am too busy. And if the boyfriend didn't make me raid as he's my raid leader, I wouldn't be playing that either.

I got too much trout to do. I have a huge backlog. but right now I just really want luigi's mansion for the 3DS.

Being an adult is hard. What really messes me up is my commute.

Pumpkin
04-14-2015, 04:08 PM
I played through my backlog for my games list! Although I am playing a few now and then I have my game exchange thingy to do

escobert
04-14-2015, 04:31 PM
this doesn't happen to me. I don't usually buy new games and I'll just play whatever I feel like playing. Of course only about 10% of the games I play have much of a story or anything of the sorts.

Del Murder
04-14-2015, 05:27 PM
Playing games does not keep me from playing games. Taking care of my kids and having a full time job keeps me from playing games. Though I will admit that getting back to Type-0 does feel like a chore. I can't figure out what it is about that game because on the surface it seems pretty good, but I just have no motivation to play it. Playing various PS1 and SNES RPGs on my PSP, however, is really fun and I wish I could do it more. I have like 5 or 6 stacked up to play.

Ayen
04-14-2015, 10:55 PM
Video games aren't a chore :)

You'd be surprise how many people I know act like it is:

Friend: Stop it, you're making me want to play X game.
Me: Well, why don't you?
Friend: Because I still need to get to Y and Z!

Shauna
04-14-2015, 11:02 PM
That's not chore-like. That's just having too many games on the backlog-like. The aim is always to reduce the backlog (will never happen), not add to it (will always happen)!

A chore is something you have to do, and you don't particularly enjoy doing it. Something that is entertainment should never be a chore.

Ayen
04-14-2015, 11:09 PM
That's not chore-like. That's just having too many games on the backlog-like. The aim is always to reduce the backlog (will never happen), not add to it (will always happen)!

A chore is something you have to do, and you don't particularly enjoy doing it. Something that is entertainment should never be a chore.

kk, so maybe "chore" is the wrong word to use. It was just the first thing to pop into my head.

Mirage
04-15-2015, 12:16 AM
Periodically, i make rules such as "finish two games for every new game i buy". Even with that, my backlog just keeps growing.

Madame Adequate
04-15-2015, 02:02 AM
I have way more games than time to play them, but oh well. I'm sure at some points in the next decades of my life there will be lulls, then I can catch up!

Ayen
04-15-2015, 02:06 AM
I hear ya. I'm running out of space in my room to be honest.

Chibi Youkai
04-15-2015, 02:07 AM
Work and Swtor and keeping me from playing other games. Raid twice a week on the pub side, and trying to get a raid team together on the imp side. And the bf keeps trying to get me to join another raid team with people that are truly serious about it. And that's on top of a job where I routinely have to travel for a week or three at a time.

Pike
04-15-2015, 11:11 AM
Re: the people in this thread mentioning MMOs: I never understood this obligation to raid thing; I see it all the time on Twitter and I don't quite get it. I was big into progression raiding in WoW back in the day and my guild loved me but when I got bored of it I just dropped it without a qualm. No big deal.

When I play WoW it's cause I want to play it, not because I have to raid or w/e. When I get bored of it I unsub. But apparently that's weird? Oh well.

Freya
04-15-2015, 04:40 PM
It's the social aspect and the gear progression. When you have done the majority of the story, the small story stuff, especially if you've played the game for a decade, isn't as interesting so you're left with a monthly subscription for... what to run around leveling more toons to see the same content? So there's Raid content. I get better gear so I can beat better endgame bosses. To get better gear I have to raid. With their Random Number Generator, I may not get it this week, so I have to come back next week to try again. Well it's going to be more difficult to progress with people who are just random themselves, so you join a guild and your guild sets a schedule so you know when reliable people will be on.

So if you don't get on at certain times, you wont have a reliable team meaning you wont be able to down bosses so you wont be able to get gear and to see the content.

And you bet your butt I want to fight fel kilrogg, a resurrected Mannoroth, and Achimonde in the next patch. I can't do that unless I'm geared enough to go there. (Plus, BOATS AND SHIPS AND I've been waiting since warcraft 2 to build ships again. and tier 18 looks lame for druids but holy hell does the
http://media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2015/april/Tier18WarlockMythicROUGH.jpg) So I raid to see story content as I'm thoroughly invested in all things Warcraft (working on War Crimes right now, good book, I highly recommend it). Socially as well your online buddies and guildies expect you there too. And if you're closer with them, you're playing with friends. Heck I'm currently losing against a guildie in hearthstone while I'm at work (shhhhh) Then some feel an obligation to be on to help those friends.

Like my boyfriend is my social aspect and he's really invested in it. So I feel obligated to help him out, and I also have fun with it! So win-win!

Pike
04-15-2015, 04:47 PM
What I meant was that raiding alone doesn't keep me subbed. I see so many people who are like "I'm bored with WoW but I'm still subbed just to raid." I don't get it. Like I said I have done serious raiding in the past and when I got bored I would quit WoW entirely. Mid-raid tier too. Didn't matter. I don't see the obligation I guess. Guildies and friends understand burnout.

Freya
04-15-2015, 04:48 PM
Well as I explained, there's the social aspect to it. You feel obligated to help friends out or your guild. And if it's not a horrible experience, why not.

Also some may feel obligated to help guildies out because they spent the time to help you gear so why wouldn't you spend the time to help them?

Vermachtnis
04-15-2015, 06:51 PM
If you'll want to play a game that's a chore and keeps you from playing other games, play a MOBA. Those games are a chore and you can't have fun with them because the other players won't let you. Although them being a game might be subjective because anytime you suggest that "It's just a game," the already huffy players get even more huffy.

Periodically, i make rules such as "finish two games for every new game i buy". Even with that, my backlog just keeps growing.

That's my rule I adopted this year and I've been pretty good about it.

metagloria
04-15-2015, 08:18 PM
Yooooo, this is me ALL THE TIME but it's not even new games. I have a massive backlog of games I want to replay for the second/fifth/seventeenth time. The good thing about that is it helps me be patient for new games. Why rush to get a PS4 for Type-0 when I can easily spend the next year playing X|X-2 HD, III, XII, Star Ocean 3, Xenosaga I-III, IX, KH1.5 and 2.5, and the XIII trilogy without spending more than 50 bucks?

Fox
04-16-2015, 12:09 AM
I spend my entire working day playing games. Which is great, but it does mean the backlog piles up! Cause you get home at the end of a long day, see 250 uninstalled games in the Steam library and just say... "To hell with this, I want to relax in my spare time, not play more video games!"

Then I watch anime. Or replay a Final Fantasy game cause those transcend apathy.

fat_moogle
04-16-2015, 01:44 AM
Last year I bought Tales of Graces F digitally for PS3, and then bought FFX / X-2 digitally when I hadn't even completed that. This year I'm not doing that. So far Ive bought Assassin's Creed Unity (almost completed but got rid of it), The Order (completed) and Type-0 (completed). I didn't buy a game before completing another. I won't count DriveClub because it's just a game I go back to now and then. Last night I ordered Bloodborne, and I won't buy another retail game until I'm done with that (let's see how it goes as I've never played any of the Souls games).

theundeadhero
04-16-2015, 04:20 AM
I think my backlog of games has actually passed the amount of games I've beaten, and I stopped collecting them a while ago. Eventually there will be time for them.

Sephex
04-16-2015, 05:47 AM
I find myself taking long breaks from games and then coming back to them. If I barley started I'll just start over. I'm getting better at getting rid of my backlog, but I'm glad that at least I have the excuse of having real life things get in the way now instead of me being a lazy bum.

CimminyCricket
04-16-2015, 05:51 AM
I have so many games to play it's actually preventing from playing at all. I have half a library of PS2 games to play (.hack//, Shadow Hearts, Growlanser) It's not a good thing.

theundeadhero
04-16-2015, 06:28 AM
I enjoyed the shit out of Growlanswer when it first came out, but that was also the last time I played it. I wonder how well it stood up.

CimminyCricket
04-17-2015, 01:40 AM
It's standing up pretty well to be honest. Which one did you play? I actually started with the II instead of I for whatever dumb reason. I've been playing the same uncompleted save file since the Generations came out.

theundeadhero
04-17-2015, 06:01 AM
It was the collectors edition Generations game that came out in 2004 with both II and III. I eventually got the next generations that came out a few years later too.

CimminyCricket
04-17-2015, 06:05 AM
That's right, it has II and III, not I. I grabbed IV when it came out for the PSP, never put it in though. BACKLOG LOL

BlackFire
05-04-2015, 05:17 AM
Well right now I am grinding (farming) away in FF-XIII so I can get everyone maxed out in all six roles. Not just the ones they learn from the start, but all of them too. That and doing all the Cie'th Stone missions on Gran Pulse. Then I got achievements to get too. So yea, FF-XIII has me busy.

I also want to get 100% in Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag. Beat Mass Effect 3 again. Beat Alice: Madness Returns. Level up my Siren to level 72 in Borderlands 2. Beat LR-FFXIII on hard mode and get better weapons and garb, become stronger, kill Aeronite, etc. Lots to do.
Can't do it all now. For now, I will just focus on FF-XIII and get to those other things later.