PDA

View Full Version : Worst way to die!

Night Fury
04-16-2015, 08:49 AM
While watching the newest Game of Thrones, Pheesh and I were prompted to ask each other which would be worse - to be burnt alive, or to be tied up and drowned. Both are pretty horrific but I think being burnt alive would be the worst.

Obviously, we weren't including things like a slow death due to cancer/other illness - but what do you think would be the worst way to die? Maybe you would hate being buried alive? That seems pretty nasty and scary and awful. But yeah, for me it's gotta be being burnt at a stake or something. Yuck yuck yuck no thanks!

Ayen
04-16-2015, 09:21 AM
Crucifixion.

Psychotic
04-16-2015, 09:54 AM
You may get stabbed in the head with a dagger or sword. You may be burned to death or skinned alive or worse. But when they torture you, you will not feel the need to run for though you die Eyes on FF lives on.

Slothy
04-16-2015, 10:50 AM
If we're talking being burned at the stake like the first episode of GoT this season then it depends. If the fire is big enough you'll die from the smoke inhalation (or at least pass out) before the fire gets you, in which case drowning would be worse. Otherwise I'd say it's a tie. Burning would hurt like hell and drowning would involve being denied the overwhelming urge to breathe, and would probably hurt like hell too. Neither sounds appealing to me.

Loony BoB
04-16-2015, 11:03 AM
All the things druglords do to people in Africa and South America and other such places. Horrific.

Shorty
04-16-2015, 02:39 PM
Burning sounds much more painful and horrific.

I thought that it can take only 3-5 minutes to die from drowning? Wouldn't you first pass out from lack of oxygen and die after that? Unless you're an Olympic swimmer, no one is holding their breath for 8-10 minutes.

Night Fury
04-16-2015, 02:49 PM
I think getting burnt alive like, on a stake would be worse because even before the flames touch you you're getting burnt skin just from the heat around you. But drowning you're falling down and down into dark scary water and all you'll want to do is breath. Urgh sorry for asking such a gross question guys! :D

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-16-2015, 02:56 PM
Crucifixion.

If that happens, pray that your close ones can bribe someone to stab you in the side to end your misery sooner.

Slothy
04-16-2015, 02:58 PM
The key is to breathe deeply when being burned. But drowning has always slightly fascinated me because when you think about the things that happen when you hold your breath, or when you choke on some water: that uncontrollable urge to breathe followed by a sharp intake of water and then the natural instinct to cough, except you can't because doing so only takes in more water. I'd imagine you'd die choking and spasming as your body fights to get rid of water even when it can't.

Probably best to try and hold your breath until you pass out should you find yourself drowning. It would still suck, but I'd imagine it would suck slightly less if you start inhaling water while closer to unconsciousness.

CimminyCricket
04-16-2015, 04:03 PM
I feel like being put in a situation where there is no way to fight back or at least attempt to escape would be the worst. I don't like the idea of being helpless at all. Dying helpless would be the worst way to die.

escobert
04-16-2015, 05:36 PM
being burned would be seriously painful. However you may pass out from the pain somewhat quickly I suppose.

Kalevala
04-16-2015, 05:40 PM
Having a large tank of water secured to your head while being burnt alive by an undead Wight grizzly bear.

Laddy
04-16-2015, 09:27 PM
Bleeding out. While realistically not all that bad, I have a huge phobia of personal disfigurement and blood and I think having to bleed out after severe physical and emotional trauma waiting in vain for help would be the worst for me.

Aerith's Knight
04-16-2015, 11:32 PM
Being buried alive seems worse than those two. Those two are painful, but at least they are (relatively) quick.

fire_of_avalon
04-17-2015, 04:37 AM
The brazen bull or scaphism. Both are long, drawn out and incredibly painful. Boiling is up there too. An oubliette with rats or mice. I would take the stake or drowning before any of those. The brazen bull or the oubliette are definitely the worst ways I can think of to die. Scaphism is utterly disturbing, but not as terrifying to me for some reason.

Night Fury
04-17-2015, 08:05 AM
Ahh yeah scaphism is fucking gross. I just googled the Brazen Bull and that is just... horrific. How did they think of this?

Bubba
04-17-2015, 08:12 AM
Yeah, locked in an oubliette with rats... while every episode of TOWIE is played on repeat. Nothing would come close to that.

Shorty
04-17-2015, 01:58 PM
Oh, I've read about scaphism! I didn't know it was called that, though. Yeesh, boiling would be bad D:

Iceglow
04-20-2015, 07:47 PM
Flayed alive.

Having your skin removed like you're some rabbit for the stew, a cut is made, then the knife is slid under the skin, separating flesh from the skin, the skin is then peeled from you whilst you sit there in agony forced to watch as they start with the lower extremities and work their way up. first a toe, then a foot and a leg. If they do it right, they'll keep you alive long enough to be awake whilst they remove the skin from your body right up until they reach your chest, perhaps higher. Or they may work their way around your body in the most degrading or painful of ways that keeps you alive the longest.

Being flensed like that has got to be the worst way to die.

Little known fact: Historically records show that some people burnt at the stake would have a small pouch of black powder (and iron pellets or the like) fitted to their person near the heart. As the fire gets hot enough eventually the black powder would explode. When it did the suffering would be cut short by what was tantamount to a buck shot round to the heart.

Psychotic
04-20-2015, 08:31 PM
Having your skin removed like you're some rabbit for the stew, a cut is made, then the knife is slid under the skin, separating flesh from the skin, the skin is then peeled from you whilst you sit there in agony forced to watch as they start with the lower extremities and work their way up. first a toe, then a foot and a leg. If they do it right, they'll keep you alive long enough to be awake whilst they remove the skin from your body right up until they reach your chest, perhaps higher. Or they may work their way around your body in the most degrading or painful of ways that keeps you alive the longest. Serial killer located.

Also if you want some horrible ass shit, in WWII the Japanese forces used to force as much water down someone's throat with a hose as possible, then stomp and jump on their swollen stomachs. If they were feeling particularly friendly they'd wrap said stomach in barbed wire first.

You can read all about that and some more horrible shit some poor fella went through here (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1254168/Monsters-River-Kwai-One-British-POW-tells-horrifying-story.html) (well worth a read, and part 2 is here (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1254453/Nagasaki-saved-life-How-PoW-survived-Burmas-death-railway-Japanese-hellships-AND-atom-bomb.html) if you enjoyed - if that's the right word for it - his story)

Richard
05-02-2015, 03:10 PM
I chose others. I think they're a worse ways to die...like being stabbed to death, having your man hood clipped off by a pair of scissors....as I hear that's really painful. Hanging is really painful way to go.

I've heard if you're burning alive, you lose your nerves in which you eventually quit feeling it, and than if it goes in your lungs you die a lot faster. Drowning, thats actually a mercy killing. You pass out so that seems the easiest way to go. Probably not that much different than your mother smothering you with a pillow.

So on and so forth those are my happy thoughts.

Shiny
05-02-2015, 05:50 PM
This is the thread of nightmares.

Bubba
05-02-2015, 07:47 PM
This is the thread of nightmares.

Either this or any of the old EoEo threads.

Ayen
05-02-2015, 07:55 PM
Goddamn why do I keep coming back to this thread!?