PDA

View Full Version : I've never read/watched this

Pumpkin
04-16-2015, 10:49 PM
I have an aversion to watching really popular stuff, not because I'm too good for it, but because I always worry I'm setting myself up for disappointment. I don't want to be like "that person" who doesn't like it or doesn't get it.

So tell me about it a little bit. What's it about? Who are the characters? Any characters you think I'd like? Anything to grab me?

Sharky has the first book so I've been debating reading it later this year :ohdear:

CimminyCricket
04-16-2015, 10:50 PM
It's about everyone you care about dying in a grisly fashion and people you hate getting what they want sometimes. And sometimes (RE: once or twice) people getting what they deserve.

Jinx
04-16-2015, 10:56 PM
It's hard to explain. Does Sharky watch it? If I were you--if you're interested or just curious--I'd give the show two or three episodes and see what you think. After that, I think you'd know what the show was "about".

If I was really pressed, I'd say the show is about political intrigue, magic, the choices we make and how they define us, and how no one is wholly good or wholly evil.

If you like fantasy stuff, I think it's a must. I understand why you'd be hesitant to watch it in case you don't like it, but I think you're really missing out if you don't give it a chance for that very reason. I mean, if you have no interest whatsoever I wouldn't blame you, but if you're interested, you should definitely give it a go.

JOIN US

Pumpkin
04-16-2015, 11:26 PM
sharky doesn't watch it, but he's read most of the books I think. We only have Netflix and it's not on there

Ayen
04-17-2015, 02:11 AM
Medieval soap opera.

Not being funny, that's how I'd legitimately define this show if I had to. The pacing, man.

Shorty
04-17-2015, 04:44 AM
Medieval soap opera.

Not being funny, that's how I'd legitimately define this show if I had to. The pacing, man.

This is actually the most legit description I've ever read.

Night Fury
04-17-2015, 07:52 AM
There is lots of gore, lots of nudity, lots of sex scenes, lots of background raping, lots of swearing and cursing, lots of incest, lots of wifebeating, lots of betrayal, lots of creepy scary things, lots of talk of winter.

bout it

sharkythesharkdogg
04-17-2015, 01:38 PM
Ignore it, lady!!! No show, no game, no tea cozies, no clothing line, no whatever other bullshit he's cashing in on.

No acknowledgement of GoT in this house until the bastard Martin finishes his books!!!!!!!!!!

:argh:

(the first four books are pretty good though.)

Freya
04-17-2015, 02:37 PM
One of us one of us one of us, sharky.

Ayen
04-18-2015, 01:19 AM
Ignore it, lady!!! No show, no game, no tea cozies, no clothing line, no whatever other bulltrout he's cashing in on.

No acknowledgement of GoT in this house until the bastard Martin finishes his books!!!!!!!!!!

:argh:

(the first four books are pretty good though.)

Well now you have to watch it.

Shorty
04-18-2015, 02:06 AM
I have an aversion to watching really popular stuff, not because I'm too good for it, but because I always worry I'm setting myself up for disappointment. I don't want to be like "that person" who doesn't like it or doesn't get it.

Also, I wanted to say that I wouldn't consider this to really be a legitimate reason for avoiding watching/reading something. If you don't like it or don't get it, so what? If you don't watch it, you're "that person" who doesn't watch it, anyway.

Engage in stuff that seems interesting to you instead of worrying about how other people will perceive your interest in that thing. Game of Thrones is popular and a lot of people like it; it might be a reason to look into reading or watching it because there is a possibility you will find commonality with the series to like it as well.

Jinx
04-18-2015, 02:21 AM

Also, I wanted to say that I wouldn't consider this to really be a legitimate reason for avoiding watching/reading something. If you don't like it or don't get it, so what? If you don't watch it, you're "that person" who doesn't watch it, anyway.

Engage in stuff that seems interesting to you instead of worrying about how other people will perceive your interest in that thing. Game of Thrones is popular and a lot of people like it; it might be a reason to look into reading or watching it because there is a possibility you will find commonality with the series to like it as well.

I feel like I said this, but I want to reiterate it in case it wasn't obvious. If you aren't interested in something or don't like it, that is perfectly okay. But if you don't watch/read/listen/etc to something just because it's "popular" you probably will be selling yourself short. If you give it a real chance and don't like it, that's okay. But you SHOULD give it a chance (if it sounds like something you'd like if it wasn't popular).

CimminyCricket
04-18-2015, 02:58 AM
I did not watch the show because it was popular. I put off reading the books because people watched the show. I read the books and I have no ragrets. Not a single letter. Not one.

Calliope
04-18-2015, 03:28 AM
I started watching this series for the first time a week ago, and so far it just makes me really want to take a shower (everyone is so filthy), but also it makes me really wish I had a dog. There is a lot of scenes of nudity and gore and women being abused, but there are a couple of underdogs you can root for. If you like fantasy stuff you'll probably like this. I can't say that I find this gripping - but it is something I can watch when I'm putting off work or struggling to sleep. And if you don't like it, then don't watch it anymore!

Calliope
04-20-2015, 02:39 AM
This is the only thread I'm going to post in, because I don't want any spoilers, yeah, even though the episodes I am watching are years old.

"The day she was born, they rang the bells from sunrise to sunset"

fuck me, that would have been annoying to sit through

Calliope
04-20-2015, 07:36 AM
I like Jamie Lannister more now that he looks like Sawyer. It would be cool if he and Lady Bronn got a Buddy Cop Spinoff!!! GAME OF BUDDY COPS followed by THE WALKING BUDDY COPS

PS - Okay, Lil' Stark will now be known as Charles, and Random other kid will be known as Magnussssss

PPS - Okay, Okay, we've got Sawyer, we have the Red Smog Monster, and we have finding random shit like horse pieces splayed out everywhere - why are they trying to make this Lost you guys

Calliope
04-20-2015, 05:26 PM
There are a lot of jokes, suddenly:

"Everyone's starving, but look at him!"

"Yeah, maybe he's the reason everyone is starving!"

It turns out that his name is HOTPIE?

Sawyer gets the chop and then we cut to what sounds like REM in the credits

Kid Squire goes all Marquis de Sade much to the shock of his comrades

I keep waiting for Joffrey to say TALK TO THE HAND and direct someone to his grandfather, but maybe that's a Sawyer joke now

why the eff does no one have an old nana sig/av set?

"run along now, grow strong"

"May I sit?"

"No."

---

Man, the puns on this show:

"keep a low profile"

"You've seen better days!"

"Aand I won't see them again!"

Shorty
04-20-2015, 09:21 PM
Olenna Tyrrell is the old lady I want to be.

Ayen
04-21-2015, 06:54 AM
Olenna Tyrell is the old lady every woman should aspire to be.

Calliope
04-21-2015, 04:57 PM
*person

Ayen
04-22-2015, 07:19 AM
*sentient being

Calliope
04-22-2015, 07:23 AM
"I will build a shrine to myself"

Agent Proto
04-22-2015, 08:00 AM
I'm going to say it straight out. Pumpkin, I would not recommend you to watch this, but you should give reading the books a shot. Based on your interests from what I remember, I'm probably going to say that you won't very likely enjoy this show. There's nothing kawaii cute about most of what's on the show (besides the direwolf pups from the first season). If you like what you read from the first book, yeah sure give watching the show a shot. Otherwise, just stick with the book if you intend to start.

Mirage
04-22-2015, 02:30 PM
If I was really pressed, I'd say the show is about political intrigue, magic, the choices we make and how they define us, and how no one is wholly good or wholly evil.
I'm gonna have to disagree with that.

Jinx
04-22-2015, 02:38 PM

Would you care to elaborate?

Bubba
04-22-2015, 03:01 PM
It's basically like Lord of the Rings but with more brothels.

Calliope
04-22-2015, 04:32 PM
What would you say LoTR was about?

Bubba
04-22-2015, 05:07 PM

Swords, magic and people with long hair and English accents getting into fights. Oh, and dwarves.

Though I have to say that GoT does have a lot of talking in it. Definitely more talking that LoTR.

Calliope
04-22-2015, 05:36 PM
note>>: I wish everyone had their GoT sets back so I co[ulpd see, no[w that I have a better idea o[f what's going o[n. Shlulp and Sho[rty are getting a lpo[t o[f shared screentime!

fat_moogle
04-22-2015, 06:30 PM
note>>: I wish everyone had their GoT sets back so I co[ulpd see, no[w that I have a better idea o[f what's going o[n. Shlulp and Sho[rty are getting a lpo[t o[f shared screentime!

Have you got any spare vodka? I'd quite like some!

Anyway, I've also never read / watched GoT and I'm not planning to. The adverts don't really interest me.

Jinx
04-22-2015, 06:32 PM

GoT but with more Jesus

Bones
04-22-2015, 08:39 PM

GoT but with more Jesus
wait
wat

I'm not understanding this answer. I didn't see any Jesus stuff in LoTR. Now the Chronicles of Narnia, that's a different story. (I only bring this up because J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis were friends and part of the same writing club in college.) Aslan is supposed to be Narnia's representation of Jesus but I don't recall any kind of symbolism of Jesus in LoTR. Gandalf is "resurrected" but... that's really it. Also... I don't find it similar to GoT at all other than the fantasy aspect.

Jinx
04-22-2015, 09:27 PM

GoT but with more Jesus
wait
wat

I'm not understanding this answer. I didn't see any Jesus stuff in LoTR. Now the Chronicles of Narnia, that's a different story. (I only bring this up because J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis were friends and part of the same writing club in college.) Aslan is supposed to be Narnia's representation of Jesus but I don't recall any kind of symbolism of Jesus in LoTR. Gandalf is "resurrected" but... that's really it. Also... I don't find it similar to GoT at all other than the fantasy aspect.

My joke was just the reverse of what Bubba made.

And LotR is ALL about Christianity.

Bones
04-22-2015, 10:55 PM

GoT but with more Jesus
wait
wat

My joke was just the reverse of what Bubba made.

And LotR is ALL about Christianity.
Not necessarily. There are Christian themes as well as Catholic themes (Tolkien himself was Catholic) but the entirety of the series is mainly focused on environmentalism and I guess the good ol' good vs. evil nonsense. Religion wasn't the main underlying influence or focus. In fact, I think Tolkien went out of his way to avoid any mention of religion or worship (except for to Sauron) in the stories.

Jinx
04-22-2015, 10:59 PM
It's allegorical.

The whole story is about ridding the world of the Ring (sin), Sauron (Satan), and the return of Aragon to Gondor (Jesus).

Bones
04-22-2015, 11:17 PM
It's allegorical.

The whole story is about ridding the world of the Ring (sin), Sauron (Satan), and the return of Aragon to Gondor (Jesus).
Maybe that's how some people see it. Doing some quick research, Tolkien did say his Catholic views were reflected in the story by accident while writing it but purposefully so during his editing process. Meh.

Mirage
04-22-2015, 11:55 PM

I had some problems finding even a single good trait in Joffry

Jinx
04-22-2015, 11:58 PM

What about something sympathetic? He's a child born of incest, likely mentally ill. The man he thought was his father hated and (in the books) was known to physically abuse him at times. So maybe he's not "good", but I think there's enough there to be pitiable.

Calliope
04-23-2015, 05:50 PM
Hah! I had the wrong event picked as The Red Wedding - I got fooled on that one! However, I don't really care about the outcome. There are so many people to keep track of on this show that I don't really care about any of them, other than Sawyer and Juliet and Psychotic and ToriJ

Jinx
04-23-2015, 05:57 PM
wait which one did you dub juliet

Calliope
04-23-2015, 06:30 PM
The blonde that sawyer goes back to save, duh

Jinx
04-23-2015, 06:31 PM
The blonde that sawyer goes back to save, duh

oh, brienne, right xD

Ayen
04-24-2015, 12:08 AM
Hah! I had the wrong event picked as The Red Wedding - I got fooled on that one! However, I don't really care about the outcome. There are so many people to keep track of on this show that I don't really care about any of them, other than Sawyer and Juliet and Psychotic and ToriJ

I was afraid ToriJ was going to make it back to her family just to get off'd at the Red Wedding. Crisis adverted.

Psychotic
04-24-2015, 12:09 PM
I wish Sawyer was in this show. Serious man crush. I miss him.

Mirage
04-25-2015, 07:33 PM

What about something sympathetic? He's a child born of incest, likely mentally ill. The man he thought was his father hated and (in the books) was known to physically abuse him at times. So maybe he's not "good", but I think there's enough there to be pitiable.

The books may paint a more nuanced image of him in that case. He might be suffering from some sort of mental illness, although the only one that springs to my mind would be sociopathy (if that counts as a mental illness), but I'm not sure if that's something I would call a positive trait either. In either case, with this additional info I could perhaps pity him a bit, but I still don't think he has any positive traits. Incest certainly increases the odds of mental illness, but a single generation of it doesn't bring the chances of it to extreme levels, iirc.

Jinx
04-25-2015, 07:48 PM
Positive traits =/= sympathetic traits.

Mirage
04-25-2015, 07:56 PM
True, but there's still a ton of bad things he did and not a single good thing (that i can think of). That kind of puts him in the "bad person all the way through"-territory for me, even if there were some explanations as to why he turned out that way

Ayen
04-25-2015, 11:53 PM
I only felt bad for him when he lost his dad.

I keep forgetting to do that.